HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part IV)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-02-2013, 04:59 PM
  #901
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
I liked Yuen, I remember on draft day he was touted as being great value in round 4. That said, I think if the choice was Brassard OR Yuen, Brassard makes a bit more sense due to organizational depth (or lack there of on RW). Sure, LHD is kind of weak too, but D overall is pretty strong right now so I'd like to have some added RW depth.

Not signing him is a little odd, although perhaps they're hoping to get some great guys in the top 3 rounds this year and don't want extra spots towards the 50 contract limit being taken up.

So, the 2011 draft has produced:
Round 1 - Mark Scheifele, C - signed
Round 2 - no pick
Round 3 - Adam Lowry, LW - signed
Round 3 - Brennan Serville, D - NCAA
Round 4 - Zachary Yuen, D - not signed
Round 5 - Austen Brassard, RW - signed
Round 6 - Jason Kasdorf, G - NCAA
Round 7 - Aaron Harstad, D - NCAA?
Not really...

LHD depth for the Jets seems to be consensus:
Enstrom
large drop
Stuart
Kulda (RFA, possibly gone to KHL)
Melchiori/Yuen (which one 1st depends who you talk to)
large drop
Chiarot/O`Neill
Sol

RW depth for the Jets seems to be consensus:
Wheeler
<- spot for Chevy's hypothetical wish list for this offseason
large drop
Thorburn/Peluso
Kubalik (possible KHL and expiring)
Kosmachuk
Saponari
Brassard/Cisse
Lasu

... then you can add in that Scheifele, Burmistrov, Wright, O`Dell, Klingberg, Telegin and Olsen have all taken time on the RW


Also, almost any guy from the next draft would be 2-4 years for possibility of contract. Even Lowry used up his full Jr eligibility before being signed to an ELC. (what holden said below)

IMO it's something either A didn't like B or B didn't like A anymore... it happens


Last edited by garret9: 06-02-2013 at 05:06 PM.
garret9 is offline  
Old
06-02-2013, 05:03 PM
  #902
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
I liked Yuen, I remember on draft day he was touted as being great value in round 4. That said, I think if the choice was Brassard OR Yuen, Brassard makes a bit more sense due to organizational depth (or lack there of on RW). Sure, LHD is kind of weak too, but D overall is pretty strong right now so I'd like to have some added RW depth.

Not signing him is a little odd, although perhaps they're hoping to get some great guys in the top 3 rounds this year and don't want extra spots towards the 50 contract limit being taken up.

So, the 2011 draft has produced:
Round 1 - Mark Scheifele, C - signed
Round 2 - no pick
Round 3 - Adam Lowry, LW - signed
Round 3 - Brennan Serville, D - NCAA
Round 4 - Zachary Yuen, D - not signed
Round 5 - Austen Brassard, RW - signed
Round 6 - Jason Kasdorf, G - NCAA
Round 7 - Aaron Harstad, D - NCAA?
Unless the player is a double overager any player drafted this year will not be taking spots towards 50 contract limit (even if signed, unless they make the NHL/AHL team).

Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
06-02-2013, 06:03 PM
  #903
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Unless the player is a double overager any player drafted this year will not be taking spots towards 50 contract limit (even if signed, unless they make the NHL/AHL team).
your avatar wants to make me puke, I cant even read your damn posts cause of that ugly pic

puck stoppa is offline  
Old
06-02-2013, 06:48 PM
  #904
tbcwpg
Registered User
 
tbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,657
vCash: 500
Didn't know that about the limit, Holden, so that's something I've learned there. As far as the D depth goes, I meant more overall than RHD/LHD. Again , there must have been something that spooked them off, or perhaps they're targeting some LHD prospects in the draft. Chevy and Co. have proven they're not shy of going off the board a bit

tbcwpg is offline  
Old
06-02-2013, 06:51 PM
  #905
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Didn't know that about the limit, Holden, so that's something I've learned there. As far as the D depth goes, I meant more overall than RHD/LHD. Again , there must have been something that spooked them off, or perhaps they're targeting some LHD prospects in the draft. Chevy and Co. have proven they're not shy of going off the board a bit
If you are going overall D then you should prob do overall F as well



oh well, it's in the past and it's happened...

I don't agree with the choice due to Yuen vs Brassard/Chiarot/Sol, but still Yuen was unlikely to be above a #4 guy if he even gets a reg NHL job anyways

At least we still have Trouba

garret9 is offline  
Old
06-02-2013, 06:52 PM
  #906
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Unless the player is a double overager any player drafted this year will not be taking spots towards 50 contract limit (even if signed, unless they make the NHL/AHL team).
what if they are on the ECHL team Holden?

garret9 is offline  
Old
06-02-2013, 06:55 PM
  #907
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
what if they are on the ECHL team Holden?
, yes players contract towards 50 contract limit in ECHL. However it's incredibly unlikely anybody from this draft will be in ECHL/AHL next year. Only way would be if it's a double overager (like Sven Andrighetto) or if a Junior A/College/European prospect signs and heads pro immediately. Not many players do that.

Signed players in junior (like Mark Scheifele last year) do not count towards 50 contract limit.

Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
06-02-2013, 07:20 PM
  #908
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
, yes players contract towards 50 contract limit in ECHL. However it's incredibly unlikely anybody from this draft will be in ECHL/AHL next year. Only way would be if it's a double overager (like Sven Andrighetto) or if a Junior A/College/European prospect signs and heads pro immediately. Not many players do that.

Signed players in junior (like Mark Scheifele last year) do not count towards 50 contract limit.
Was just curious... my CBA knowledge is SUPER limited... almost nill haha

garret9 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:10 AM
  #909
Rheged
JMFT
 
Rheged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Myabe they left Yuen unsigned with the intention to take Kichton

Rheged is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:29 AM
  #910
trebendan
Registered User
 
trebendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Myabe they left Yuen unsigned with the intention to take Kichton
If the Jets were to draft Kichton, how long would they have to sign him? I assume it wouldn't be 2 years.

trebendan is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:33 AM
  #911
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
If the Jets were to draft Kichton, how long would they have to sign him? I assume it wouldn't be 2 years.
You'd assume wrong. It would be 2 years.

Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:47 AM
  #912
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8
 
heusy_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,204
vCash: 500
What does your AHL depth up front look like for next season? I'm specifically wondering about your recently signed prospect Austen Brassard. There have been rumours that his overage rights will be traded in the OHL, from Belleville back to his hometown Windsor Spitfires. The return would obviously partially hinge on the likelihood of Brassard returning to junior.

From my standpoint, he is certainly physically ready for pro hockey, but he struggled offensively this past season, so perhaps the Jets would like to leave him in junior to develop his scoring touch. If the trade goes down, he would likely see second line minutes on a Windsor squad looking to contend. Could be a more favourable position for him if he was going to be buried on the 4th line in the AHL.

heusy_79 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:50 AM
  #913
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,537
vCash: 500
I have to agree with you, TNSE is bent on developing prospects properly and I could see Brassard staying in the OHL as an overager. Although we don't have much scoring depth at the AHL level, we're better off developing him properly.

allan5oh is online now  
Old
06-08-2013, 07:52 PM
  #914
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,027
vCash: 50
2012 NHL Redraft thread going on in the Prospects section:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1443821

Trouba pretty solidly in 3rd'ish position amongst HF'ers who've posted lists.

YWGinYYZ is online now  
Old
06-08-2013, 10:44 PM
  #915
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
2012 NHL Redraft thread going on in the Prospects section:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1443821

Trouba pretty solidly in 3rd'ish position amongst HF'ers who've posted lists.
And rightfully so, at this point.

Bob E is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 11:20 PM
  #916
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
2012 NHL Redraft thread going on in the Prospects section:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1443821

Trouba pretty solidly in 3rd'ish position amongst HF'ers who've posted lists.
Interesting he has leapfrogged Murray in most HFboard fans minds. I guess the shoulder injury and inactivity have cost Murray a spot or two in most fans minds or perhaps it is just Jacob's Play that has caused his assention? Most if not all of the posts are from non Jets fans as well.

ps241 is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 11:38 PM
  #917
rguy56
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rguy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 425
vCash: 500
Look...I can't defend this position in any objective way, but I was personally impressed by Anthony Peluso's play before his injury. I know he's around for toughness, but his overall play was surprisingly good during his limited time with the Jets.

I'm going to call him a late bloomer, and propose that forwards, even at the advanced age of 24, can have unexpected upsides. He has never been a scorer, EVER, but I'm going to call him the best bang for the buck on the Jets. I could honestly see him hanging in there through a Stanley Cup grind.

rguy56 is offline  
Old
06-10-2013, 12:57 PM
  #918
maximus tacitus
Mathmew Purrrr Oh!
 
maximus tacitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Home Plate Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,979
vCash: 500
wonder if any HF writer is going to do a featured piece on the Jets anytime soon

maximus tacitus is offline  
Old
06-10-2013, 02:08 PM
  #919
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguy56 View Post
Look...I can't defend this position in any objective way, but I was personally impressed by Anthony Peluso's play before his injury. I know he's around for toughness, but his overall play was surprisingly good during his limited time with the Jets.

I'm going to call him a late bloomer, and propose that forwards, even at the advanced age of 24, can have unexpected upsides. He has never been a scorer, EVER, but I'm going to call him the best bang for the buck on the Jets. I could honestly see him hanging in there through a Stanley Cup grind.
He did pretty good in his short tenure... but it was so short it's really hard to evaluate him objectively. His much larger AHL career doesn't promise worlds of upside, but if he upgrades Thorburn, that's good enough for me.

Don't know about bang for buck though. Even the best 4th liners in the game give very little bang. They create very minimal effects both positive and negative just due to their TOI but also their usage.

Rob Vollman runs GVS for the league, which -although not perfect- gives the best indication for bang for buck.
2011-12 it was Wellwood, then Wheeler, then Kane
Be interesting to see 2012-13...

garret9 is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 04:35 PM
  #920
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,819
vCash: 224
Hearing one of your WHL prospects is on the move. Announcement coming very soon.

R S is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 04:48 PM
  #921
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,384
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Hearing one of your WHL prospects is on the move. Announcement coming very soon.
The only one I can think of is Sutter.

Sweech is online now  
Old
06-13-2013, 05:06 PM
  #922
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
The only one I can think of is Sutter.
...Lowry...

truck is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 05:07 PM
  #923
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Hearing one of your WHL prospects is on the move. Announcement coming very soon.
Hearing this where?

truck is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 05:18 PM
  #924
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 500
Olsen too

garret9 is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 05:30 PM
  #925
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,785
vCash: 787
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
...Lowry...
noooooooooooooooooo

God I hope not

__________________
Hammer Slammer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.