HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part III: Free Agents Suck

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2013, 03:10 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 500
I don't see why we'd be the ones adding in a deal for the 7th overall.

Old
06-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyhauntswizards View Post
I think we've all somewhat agreed FA is just not the answer this year?
Just for temporary spots. Nothing longer-term, at all. All my opinion, of course.

Old
06-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
I think we've all somewhat agreed FA is just not the answer this year?
I like a lot of the names for the bottom 6 this year. Not so much for the top 6.

Old
06-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Yeah, the "Top", aka higher profile, FAs this offseason will get grossly overpaid and are just not worth it. Not worth the money, or the cap strain, ect. The only guy I like is Weiss, but really it's not worth it at all.

I don't think a FA season has come and gone without the Rangers making a move, so I'm sure they will sign someone. Just hoping it's nothing big.

Old
06-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I don't see why we'd be the ones adding in a deal for the 7th overall.
You need to read the forum rules.

Page 9, paragraph 17

Quote:
Prospects are more valuable than established NHL players. Even 22 year old top-4 dmen capable of putting up 40 points. Anyone willing to dispute this fact will be assessed 2 infractions.

Old
06-02-2013, 03:25 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

I'd rather trade DZ for a proven commodity than for the 7th overall, although I really, really like some of the players in (the top-10) of this draft.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
06-02-2013, 03:36 PM
3rd Guy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I think they'll take Barkov, personally.

Although I know next to nothing about this draft.
Could very easily see them passing on Barkov just because his last name is Russian.

Old
06-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
I'd rather trade DZ for a proven commodity than for the 7th overall, although I really, really like some of the players in (the top-10) of this draft.
I'm not even certain I'm comfortable trading DZ w/ Staal's uncertainty. His eye. And the Carolina factor.

Girardi's an UFA after next year as well. Look at how much Sather's invested in dmen over the years.

Trade MDZ. Marc bolts to Carolina. Girardi gets stupid money in free-agency.

I don't think MDZ gets moved. I can see Staal being traded to Carolina though. And, they have some interesting assets as well. Especially if Sather wants to pick in the top-10 (assuming Carolina would part with it, +).

Old
06-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I think they'll take Barkov, personally.

Although I know next to nothing about this draft.
Barkov should be the player they pick.

Monahan at 4 is definitely a big reach.

Old
06-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Ola

Quote:
This is a better draft than 2010 and some of the other drafts. The Rangers need a top young forward. They should use DZ to get one. End of story.
RB, I can't disagree on the need of one more forward if/when BR is bought out (but we certainly need a scoring punch from the blueline more).

But, I just wouldn't trade MDZ for a first round pick if its not top 2-3. You get a questionable return and you get it 2-3 years from now.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Outside of top three (four, if we're highly rating this Russian kid, I don't know much about him.)

7th pick does not scream sure thing to me. If you're going to make a move, don't make it halfway.

This board usually has good instincts though. So you get the feeling either MDZ or Staal will be dealt at some point this offseason.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:05 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Outside of top three (four, if we're highly rating this Russian kid, I don't know much about him.)

7th pick does not scream sure thing to me. If you're going to make a move, don't make it halfway.

This board usually has good instincts though. So you get the feeling either MDZ or Staal will be dealt at some point this offseason.
Well, some of this board.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 470
Quote:

Nicushkin is the big risk pick of the draft. He has the potential to be a top 5 goal scorer in the league, and it's very possible he pans out to be that. But no pick is a sure thing. He can be better than MacK and Drouin possibly, he could even go 1st overall in this draft, it's that good. That's the thing about this draft, it's deep enough that you can do that. and 7th overall isn't that far down!

Old
06-02-2013, 04:17 PM
nsvoyageurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
I don't think it's any question that some combination of the first 2 picks with be Jones/MacKinnon. If TBay takes Nichushkin, and we somehow get a high pick for one of our d-men, I hope Slats has a plan to jump up and grab Drouin. He will play next year, and he is dynamic.

If he somehow found a way to draft MacKinnon he could hire Trottier back as coach and I'd still love him.
Drouin I think could start next season in the NHL, but I think he needs to bulk up physically to withstand a full season. It wouldn't shock me if he gets sent down to Major Junior before the games played limit for not counting against his entry level contract and bringing him closer to unrestricted free agency kicks in. Him playing all or at least most of next season in junior would not be the worst thing for him. One possible side affect would be he goes back to junior and because he's likely dominate so much, he might get bored and fall into bad habits. His team probably won't be the top contender they were this season (depending on who returns/reports from the outside) when they won the President's (QMJHL) and Memorial Cups.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:18 PM
eco's bones

Del Zotto for a top 10 pick in this years draft?--yeah.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:20 PM
azrok22

With Del Zotto due for a raise next summer, now is the time to move him, if we're going to do so. A lot hinges on Staal, both related to his health and his interest in staying in NY past his contract, but something around Del Zotto for the 7th overall pick would not be the worst move in the world.

Would absolutely love to move into the top 3 and grab MacKinnon or Drouin as a core forward to build around, but I'm not sure that's realistic.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Nicushkin is the big risk pick of the draft. He has the potential to be a top 5 goal scorer in the league, and it's very possible he pans out to be that. But no pick is a sure thing. He can be better than MacK and Drouin possibly, he could even go 1st overall in this draft, it's that good. That's the thing about this draft, it's deep enough that you can do that. and 7th overall isn't that far down!
Reminds me of what we heard about Cherepanov prior to the 2007 draft. It would be nice to have a prospect like that for once.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:26 PM
LetterJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
reminds me of what we heard about cherepanov prior to the 2007 draft. It would be nice to have a prospect like that for once.
Again.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:32 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Nichushkin looks tremendous with the very little I've see on him. Kind of reminds me of Rick Nash.

And I normally hate combine stuff. But the fact that he could only manage 8 (!!) push ups just does not sit that well with me. Not because he is weaker than he should be for his size. That's not too hard to improve...IF you have the determiation and will to do so. Beyond the strength aspect, and potentially very unfair since I don't know the kid...but that really makes me question how much work he has even had to put into getting as far as he has. And I also know there are a lot of top tier (even good pro) athletes who can get by with that. Maybe he is one. But if I am taking a kid top 10 I would want to know that they live and breathe to give everything they have to the sport.

That said the tape he's produced is still extremely tempting. Great talent.

06-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 470
Quote:
Reminds me of what we heard about Cherepanov prior to the 2007 draft. It would be nice to have a prospect like that for once.
exactly. This safe pick ******** is getting redundant. I Really like McIlrath's game and cant wait for him to be in blue but.........him over Tarasenko? COME ON. Or JT Miller over Vladislav Namestnikov. We need to start with the risky picks this safe pick bs is getting really old. Our offense will go nowhere if we keep drafting passively.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:42 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

Quote:
exactly. This safe pick ******** is getting redundant. I Really like McIlrath's game and cant wait for him to be in blue but.........him over Tarasenko? COME ON. Or JT Miller over Vladislav Namestnikov. We need to start with the risky picks this safe pick bs is getting really old. Our offense will go nowhere if we keep drafting passively.
EX-ACTLY. Still shaking my head over this one...so. *******. stupid.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

People that don't want a player like McIlrath on the team after seeing the Rangers get pushed around by Boston need to get their heads checked.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You need to read the forum rules.

Page 9, paragraph 17

If we he is a top 4 dman capable of +40p/season, why are we trading him?

Old
06-02-2013, 05:27 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bickel-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Handzus-Kane
Saad-Shaw-Stalberg
Kruger(C)-Bolland-Frolik

Not a big line-up. They are not the big bruising team like LA or Boston. Bolland's big hit on Nyqvist set up Seabrook's GWG in game 7. Bolland knocked out Richards yesterday. They have players who can play a physical game. Bickel is a monster when he wants to be. He can play on any line and on the PP. He will be printing money on July 5. Shaw is an annoying SOB. The West is a more physical conference. Not great depth in the middle. Young players who can skate. They don't have the skating pylons like the Rangers. Quenneville is a professional coach. Coached in the AHL. Assistant coach with the Nordiques/Avs. Head coach with the Blues,Avs and Hawks. The Rangers should look at that team. Their bottom six players.

Old
06-02-2013, 05:47 PM
NYR Viper

I still like the MDZ for Burmistrov + WPG 1st 13. It helps fill a couple of holes.

Nystrom is the UFA they should target. Streit would fit on a 2 year deal.

Pyatt, Powe, Asham need to go.

Closed Thread