HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Souray Dilemma

Old
10-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selrach93 View Post
Souray + Markov = Winning Combination ; Power and Slapper + Speedy , Agile , Great D-Man .
Except they play the same position.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 03:43 PM
LeMAD

Souray is one of the worst defsensive D in the league, and he's awful on the powerplay, and he doesn't hit enough. But yeah he's a good leader. So get him a job behind the bench for christ sake

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 03:55 PM
White Snake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Rivet looked just as bad as Souray on the Brière goal yet everbody jumps on Souray.

The problem with this pairing is that both are slow...
Well said; DO we have a bunch of Rivet's relatives on here trying to take the microscope off of Craig. Keep Souray, goodbye Rivet. The man just cannot clear the zone, it is too repetitive. WHy do you think Latendresse was so tired on the first goal last night cause Rivet missed his chances to clear.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
But don't we have to play the season first to see if he scores 15 goals ? Then we can't trade him. I spot a flaw in your concept.
It's an extrapolation maybe?

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:28 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
It's an extrapolation maybe?
I don't think we're allowed to extrapolate on this board. IN fact, I think there are laws against public extrapolation.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Snake View Post
Well said; DO we have a bunch of Rivet's relatives on here trying to take the microscope off of Craig. Keep Souray, goodbye Rivet. The man just cannot clear the zone, it is too repetitive. WHy do you think Latendresse was so tired on the first goal last night cause Rivet missed his chances to clear.
Whitie, I have a sneaking suspicion you're referring to me and McPhee but nice try. Whose trying to take the microscope off who?
Man, do I wish I was related. I'd be sitting pretty at every game, taking the fast train to China...lol. No, sorry to say I'm just a fan but don't know about McPhee. Hey Craig, let me know if you want to adopt me...LOL

Markimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:41 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Snake View Post
No one here is making Rivet out as a star player here. He's what he's always been, an average skilled player with above average character. He doesn't get beat to the outside much, does ok 1 on 1, contributes offensively, but gets in trouble when he doesn't keep it simple. I've always liked the guy, though I thought he'd suffer without being able to use his stick. It turns out I was wrong last year, he had a good year.

Did you think Briere broke open thru the middle due to Rivet's positioning ? I've never coached hockey and couldn't diagram stickmen, but it looked like Souray moved to the boards when he had middle responsibility. Rivet was deeper than Souray but took a step to the wing. Numminen stepped around a forechecker and caught Briere in flight. Tell me where it's different.

I get it. You don't like Rivet. You've been very clear. It's in my memory bank now.

Old
10-07-2006, 05:43 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
All of this leads to my conclusion of yesterday. Are D imo are now

1. Markov
2. Komisarek
3. Dandenault
4. Sourray
5. Rivet
6. Niinimaa (may move up if he can pull it together)

Ever since midway last year Dandenault has been great. Using his speed to pinch in and get back, never loses a race and I rarely see him make a stupid play and give the puck away (Rivet failed to clear the zone on what lead to 3 goals last night).

I'm liking the Dandenault pick up more and more, he has truly been a gem, contrary to inital opinions of him. Another good move by Gainey when we gave him time to adjust.
I've been saying this until I'm blue in the face. In the New NHL, you need guys who can skate and move the puck on defense, otherwise you have third pairing defensemen unless they can compensate in some other way.

Why Gainey did not fix this defense is beyond me. Getting Niinimaa is a band-aid move.

Also, Markov was terrible yesterday, but I agree he's still #1 on this team.

I thought Rivet played a great game tho. He's easily our #2 (on this team anyway).

Komisarek was mostly solid too, but very limited.

If Souray can't be a physical presence down low because of his lack of agility, it's time to go in another direction imo.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:43 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markimark View Post
Whitie, I have a sneaking suspicion you're referring to me and McPhee but nice try. Whose trying to take the microscope off who?
Man, do I wish I was related. I'd be sitting pretty at every game, taking the fast train to China...lol. No, sorry to say I'm just a fan but don't know about McPhee. Hey Craig, let me know if you want to adopt me...LOL
None of my relatives are very nice to me.

I do have a 4th cousin, many times removed in the NHL, but I never mention him and he knows not of my existance.

Old
10-07-2006, 05:48 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I've been saying this until I'm blue in the face. In the New NHL, you need guys who can skate and move the puck on defense, otherwise you have third pairing defensemen unless they can compensate in some other way.

Why Gainey did not fix this defense is beyond me. Getting Niinimaa is a band-aid move.

I thought Rivet played a great game tho. He's easily our #2 (on this team anyway).

Komi has some upside though. We've disagreed about defense before, but I look at Buffalo, and I believe coaching and 5 man play is a big impact on defense. One of the giveawys last night that JN was criticized for, I believe the winger got caught playing above the d man, and giving no target. Spacing and familiarity mean a lot in breakouts.

We can obviously disagree, we often do, but I'm not sure just making changes always works. I like Souray, I'd hate to see fans get on him for 1 bad game. Last year he started slowly but finished well. There are holes in his game though.

Old
10-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post

If Souray can't be a physical presence down low because of his lack of agility, it's time to go in another direction imo.

Better watch out leaves. Before you know it you are going to be related to McPhee and I....are you a blonde or brunette...lol

Old
10-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Komisarek?

I think if we trade Souray we definitely need to get back somebody of his equivalent on defense, which will not be easy.
Absolutely, the guys huge. Let him step up to the plate now that he's got a year under his belt.

Old
10-07-2006, 06:20 PM
KaptainKourage*

That why we will keep him ! He is one of our best player on the PP because of his booooooooooming boom boom shot. He is better in physical game (and bigger, slower team) ... and he look to bounce back after a bad game.

I love you Sheldon.

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote