HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier trade in offseason?

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Peter James Bond

vCash: 500
Let's move from Clifford and Martin and back on topic about Bernier.
I am glad Bernier got some playoff action; just not under the circumstances. He looked poised and was 9-9 in saves.

I hope DL does the team, fans and Bernier good, in getting him a place he deserves to be a #1 and gives the team a much needed LEGIT LW ,
1st round pick, or elite NHL prospect.

Old
06-02-2013, 09:59 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
Let's move from Clifford and Martin and back on topic about Bernier.
I am glad Bernier got some playoff action; just not under the circumstances. He looked poised and was 9-9 in saves.

I hope DL does the team, fans and Bernier good, in getting him a place he deserves to be a #1 and gives the team a much needed LEGIT LW ,
I believe we will be doing exactly what is needed to better the team this offseason and it will end up the best for JB at the same time.

Gonna happen.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
If the kings do move Bernier they are going to have to acquire a forward that can score and is cheap. NOt many are out there.

what about bernier and voynov for yakupov?

Old
06-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I wouldn't move Voynov. He's LA's best defenseman not named Doughty, and Yakupov isn't that much better to make that move.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:17 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
If the kings do move Bernier they are going to have to acquire a forward that can score and is cheap. NOt many are out there.

I wouldnt do this. Slava in my opinion will be something special and since defense is harder to find the offensive wingers not a trade i would make. Especially in the same conference. I hope bernier goes east .

Old
06-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Bernier for Versteeg? I don't think Markstrom is quite ready yet to assume the starting role in Florida and figure that Bernier could be a goalie the Panthers can build around from the net out (and they could use Markstrom as trade bait in another deal).

Versteeg was teammates with Richards and Carter in Philly, he's a player that I think Lombardi was enamored by in the past (I seem to recall Lombardi talking about him in the past), and he's capable of playing a top six role on either side of the wing. He's had a couple of 50+ point seasons, three 20+ goal seasons, and is locked up at a cap hit of $4.4M until 2016. Versteeg is also in his prime at 27 and is coming off a season ending knee injury (and Lombardi has taken his chances with players coming off of injuries in the past).

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 06-03-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old
06-03-2013, 08:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Bernier for Versteeg? I don't think Markstrom is quite ready yet to assume the starting role in Florida and figure that Bernier could be a goalie the Panthers can build around from the net out (and they could use Markstrom as trade bait in another deal).
How about Bernier and Martinez for Matt Read and two draft picks?

Old
06-03-2013, 08:43 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
gives the team a much needed LEGIT LW ,
I really don't see how the Kings get anything like that. Could get a LW, but probably not the much needed one. Could get a 1st round pick, but probably not in 2013. Could get an NHL prospect, but not elite.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Spockey
Rookie User

At least someone in the media values Bernier as centerpiece in trade for 1st overall.

Kevin Paul Dupont, The Boston Globe (6/2/13)
Quote:
Have to wonder, though, if Roy will push his boss, Joe Sakic, to flip the No. 1 overall draft pick he’s holding later this month for a young bonafide netminder. The Kings’ Jonathan Bernier, the No. 11 pick in the 2006 draft, would be the obvious target. With Jonathan Quick on duty, Bernier is not going to get his shot at being a No. 1. Bernier, a Quebec kid, with Roy, the Quebec goaltending icon. Parfait, non?

Lyle Richardson, Spector's Hockey (6/2/13)
Quote:
The Avs reportedly (see below) would entertain trading down but it would take a huge offer for them to consider going lower than third overall. It’ll take more than Bernier for the Kings to tempt the Avs into parting with that first overall pick…

Old
06-03-2013, 12:29 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockey View Post

Remember how much Roy covets JB. He said not long ago that he felt that JB was the best young goalie to come along in a very long time. Roy loves JB no doubt. He isn't the only one though.

I could see the Avs trading down the 1st pick for the 3rd or 4rth pick and then moving that pick to us. Avs get JB plus plus whatever else they get by moving down. I don't think DL will make that sort of move but if he likes Dro as much as he is said to you never know. Doubtful but you never know.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Crowne Royale

Quote:

Beat me to the punch. I've been meaning to analyze the logical landing spots for Bernier and the Avs with the hiring of Roy make a lot of sense. The Colorado roster hasn't played up to its potential and I would think with a changing of the leadership guard there, they might be willing to shake things up.

Landing Bernier, in my opinion, would be a near-perfect fit for the Avalanche. Roy gets a French-Canadian he can identify with, the organization gets immediate bang for buck in a young and cost-controlled goaltender capable of Antti Niemi-like production, and would likely be able to keep the 1st overall pick.

The hard part would be putting a deal together -- the Avs have Elliot, Barrie, and Siemens as young and talented defensemen they can purge from depth, (assuming Landeskog is off the table and too pricey for the Kings) but that's not really an area of organizational need for the Kings.

This would give the Avs a lot of flexibility in net. Giguere could come back to the Kings in the trade and be a serviceable backup (Kings might be able to absorb his cap hit this coming season), or he could stay in Colorado and serve as a 1-2 punch with Bernier, allowing them to pawn Varlamov off to a team like Edmonton who could use cheap goaltender competition without much risk.

In order for the 1st round pick to be in play, the Kings would need to be willing to shift 3-4 million in cost and I don't see that happening. At this point, Quick, Doughty, Voynov, Kopitar, Brown, Richards, and Carter are likely untouchable given their core roles and the lack of financial flexibility for most teams with the cap coming down. Williams has proven to be a team leader and comes up clutch so I doubt he's on the move, and with the value of Toffoli's contract relative to forecasted production, it's also not likely he's moving especially after Schenn was packaged for Richards.

Plus, Sherman has proven he's not afraid to make "hockey trades" and he and Lombardi were able to work out a deal for Richardson in the semi-recent past.

If something were to happen with the Avs, my bet is the Kings target one of those 3 defensemen, pass on Hishon, and ask for Aittokallio as a young and cheap goaltending prospect with upside. Maybe include a pick too, and I could see the Kings taking a flyer on McGinn.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
Make it happen Dean!

Old
06-03-2013, 01:36 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:

Except they already have Varlamov who they got for 1st and 2nd round picks. I'm not up to date on how the Avs feel about him, but he was good for them last year and I'd think he'd be their goalie of the future. I can't see them trading another 1st round pick for another goalie.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Varlamov struggled badly in Colorado this past season, so there could be a change in net for the Avs if they're convinced that they are not going to go far with Varlamov in net. But it also didn't help that the Avs defense was dreadful as well.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:39 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Varlamov struggled badly in Colorado this past season, so there could be a change in net for the Avs if they're convinced that they are not going to go far with Varlamov in net. But it also didn't help that the Avs defense was dreadful as well.
Yea I saw his numbers and they looked really bad, but I figured that has as much to do with the team in front of him. The year prior he had some pretty good numbers though and he's been highly touted since his time with Washington.

Don't know if they'd give up on him just yet considering they traded 1st and 2nd round picks for him. He's also fairly young and still growing into his role as a starter. If those rumors have any juice behind them though, it'd be an interesting scenario. Would love to get COL's 1st this year, but we'd obviously have to add quite a bit.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:53 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
How about Bernier and Martinez for Matt Read and two draft picks?
Matt Read is too unproven to me. He's 26 and doing good on an Offensive team like the flyers. I think its too risky.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:03 PM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Remember how much Roy covets JB. He said not long ago that he felt that JB was the best young goalie to come along in a very long time. Roy loves JB no doubt. He isn't the only one though.

I could see the Avs trading down the 1st pick for the 3rd or 4rth pick and then moving that pick to us. Avs get JB plus plus whatever else they get by moving down. I don't think DL will make that sort of move but if he likes Dro as much as he is said to you never know. Doubtful but you never know.
Dro as in Drouin? Would be pretty surprising with guys like Jones, MacKinnon, Barkov, Nichuskin, Lindholm, Monahan in this draft that DL fell in love with Drouin. Drouin I think projects a bit like Patrick Kane, great great player but not exactly in the Kings mold when you consider the other guys available at the top of this draft.

Old
06-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Matt Read is too unproven to me. He's 26 and doing good on an Offensive team like the flyers. I think its too risky.
To me it depends on the draft picks coming back. It would be interesting to see what we could get packaging either Ellerby, Muzzin or Martinez with Bernier. My preference would be Muzzin. I think he has shown good offensive upside and his value is higher right now meaning we could get more for him.
Read is interesting.
St. Louis ahs no need for a Goalie and three team trades never seem to work, but they have a wealth of wingers and are likely looking to drop some $$.

Old
06-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post

**** no

Old
06-03-2013, 04:55 PM
bmr

No thanks on Yakupov. That guy is gonna take awhile to develop. Looking at all the goaltenders available, I honestly can't see a guy as talented and young as Bernier. I would think any of these teams would give up a #1 for that - especially the Avs. I love Bernier, but you can't get rid of Quick..especially after 2 years of the playoff performances he's had. That and he accepts all of the blame for losses and stands up for teammates. Guys like that come around very rarely.

Old
06-03-2013, 05:38 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

Versteeg was teammates with Richards and Carter in Philly, he's a player that I think Lombardi was enamored by in the past (I seem to recall Lombardi talking about him in the past), and he's capable of playing a top six role on either side of the wing. He's had a couple of 50+ point seasons, three 20+ goal seasons, and is locked up at a cap hit of $4.4M until 2016. Versteeg is also in his prime at 27 and is coming off a season ending knee injury (and Lombardi has taken his chances with players coming off of injuries in the past).
If Florida thinks Markstrom will be ready eventually, they would get another stop gap like Theodore, not a kid who'll be around for a decade like Bernier.

And I wouldn't want Versteeg. He's coming off a injury plagued season and has a cap hit of $4.4 million. How do we fit him into our cap situation while also replacing Bernier?

Old
06-03-2013, 05:42 PM
bmr

No thanks on Versteeg. I would love to be able to get into the #1-3 spots at this year's draft though. Seth Jones is going to be a stud.

Old
06-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
To me it depends on the draft picks coming back. It would be interesting to see what we could get packaging either Ellerby, Muzzin or Martinez with Bernier. My preference would be Muzzin. I think he has shown good offensive upside and his value is higher right now meaning we could get more for him.
Read is interesting.
St. Louis ahs no need for a Goalie and three team trades never seem to work, but they have a wealth of wingers and are likely looking to drop some $$.
That is interesting. The Avs trade #1 for #3 plus something and send the #3 overall + Giguere (has 1.5 mil for 13/14) to the Kings for Bernier, (Ellerby or Martinez, or Muzzin)

I am sure some think Bernier is not worth that, but he may be the best goalie in the world, who is not an NHL #1. Having the second best GAA this year was not a fluke. And he's just entering his prime.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think you guys are selling Versteeg short. This was his first injury riddled season, as he's always hovered around 70+ games over the course of his NHL career.

Go look at his playoff stats, then you start to realize why this guy could be someone the Kings could use. He registered 26 points in his first 39 playoff games with the Hawks.

In 7 games last season with the Panthers, he registered 3 goals and 5 points against the Devils. The guy is a playoff performer and he can play with top line talent. Given the departure of Penner and other contracts coming off the books, I think the Kings could fit Versteeg's $4.4M cap hit on the roster.

For those of you not familiar with Versteeg, here's a sampling of what he can do with the puck:

How many Kings wingers have displayed that type of skill carrying the puck?

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 06-03-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old
06-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
+1 on Versteeg! I've always been a fan of his.

When healthy he puts up very solid numbers.

Closed Thread