HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 1 - The one that we got zero

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Waffle Fries

vCash: 500
Rich Miller @PensBender
I have a hunch the calls will go in favor of the Pens in Game 2. If the NHL immediately says Cooke is off the hook, no way they were happy.

I think the sad thing is that he's probably right. This sums up everything that is wrong with the way the league is reffed. They're more worried about making even up calls than the right calls.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:10 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
I agree Doc. Way too inconsistent.

There was more to that interview....What I took away from it was that they basically need to quit complaining and play through it, as there is nothing they can do about the refs.

But I also don't blame Sid and Geno for getting frustrated with the inconsistencies.

I think that if we keep playing like we did in the first two periods, we will win this series. I was sitting at the end we shoot at twice, and there were so many great opp's we had, that just didn't go in. It was a night we didn't get the bounces, but it wasn't a lack of effort or desire. Combo of some great goaltending by Rask and some bad puck luck for us. And a little bit of rust from our shooters as we were plastering the plexi pretty hard at a certain point. But I attribute that to starting to get too fine/pick corners on a hot Rask.
I like them getting frustrated, shows that we have fire and we're not intimidated (in terms of Geno) as for Sid, hopefully whatever he barked at the refs get THEM on their game.

As for Rask, I've been saying it all along, shoot high blocker. Where did Geno's shot hit of the post? High blocker. Pretty sure that's where Kuni's post shot was too

Old
06-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
I agree Doc. Way too inconsistent. There was more to that interview....What I took away from it was that they basically need to quit complaining and play through it, as there is nothing they can do about the refs.

But I also don't blame Sid and Geno for getting frustrated with the inconsistencies.

I think that if we keep playing like we did in the first two periods, we will win this series. I was sitting at the end we shoot at twice, and there were so many great opp's we had, that just didn't go in. It was a night we didn't get the bounces, but it wasn't a lack of effort or desire. Combo of some great goaltending by Rask and some bad puck luck for us. And a little bit of rust from our shooters as we were plastering the plexi pretty hard at a certain point. But I attribute that to starting to get too fine/pick corners on a hot Rask.
Definitely, and that's why so much of the discussion has centered around the penalty disputes. Nobody has issues with how we played until Letang's ******** play on the 2nd goal against.

We were dictating play and just couldn't finish our chances. I'm definitely confident in our system and ability vs. the Bruins. We just needed to get some x-factors sorted out. I hope the refs took Sid's criticism seriously and had a chance to see some replays, because I think they'd want to change a few things. At least I'd like to believe they would.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:15 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Definitely, and that's why so much of the discussion has centered around the penalty disputes. Nobody has issues with how we played until Letang's ******** play on the 2nd goal against.

We were dictating play and just couldn't finish our chances. I'm definitely confident in our system and ability vs. the Bruins. We just needed to get some x-factors sorted out. I hope the refs took Sid's criticism seriously and had a chance to see some replays, because I think they'd want to change a few things. At least I'd like to believe they would.
I still worry about Sutter's play in the offensive zone. We need a line that doesn't have Sid/Geno on it that can put teams on their heels. Cooke being thrown out of last game didn't help, but Sutter has just been so damn underwhelming.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I still worry about Sutter's play in the offensive zone. We need a line that doesn't have Sid/Geno on it that can put teams on their heels. Cooke being thrown out of last game didn't help, but Sutter has just been so damn underwhelming.
I agree. I just think in order for that to happen Beau needs to play and/or Dupuis needs to move to the bottom six.

I think any of:

Cooke-Sutter-Bennett
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis

could be that line.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:29 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I agree. I just think in order for that to happen Beau needs to play and/or Dupuis needs to move to the bottom six.

I think any of:

Cooke-Sutter-Bennett
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis

could be that line.
At this point, I'd like to see Jokinen get more shifts in the top 9. He's probably going to be our best f/o man this series with how Sid struggles against PB. Would also like to see Vitale get in the lineup. Again, with our f/o struggles, no reason not to put him in as well.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:34 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Rich Miller @PensBender
I have a hunch the calls will go in favor of the Pens in Game 2. If the NHL immediately says Cooke is off the hook, no way they were happy.

I think the sad thing is that he's probably right. This sums up everything that is wrong with the way the league is reffed. They're more worried about making even up calls than the right calls.
meh, they didn't rescind the match penalty, did they?

I wouldn't look for any help from the refs. Nor should any team.

All I want to see are well officiated games called down the line. And I don't mean calling the same amount of penalties on each team.

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 06-02-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old
06-02-2013, 10:37 PM
plaidchuck

Just hope whatever adjustments need made or done now, not if they're down 2-0 or 2-1.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:37 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:

I think any of:

Cooke-Sutter-Bennett
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis

could be that line.
Our bottom 6 should have scoring depth on both lines IMO:
Morrow-Sutter-JJ
Cooke-Vitale-Bennett/Kennedy

That leaves our top 6 to go with:
Dupes-Sid-Iggy
Kuni-Geno-Neal

Old
06-02-2013, 10:39 PM
plaidchuck

And also didnt we just get done a few weeks ago making fun of Ovechkin and the Caps for complaining about the refs?

Old
06-02-2013, 10:40 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
And also didnt we just get done a few weeks ago making fun of Ovechkin and the Caps for complaining about the refs?
That was because Ovy put on his tinfoil hat and came up with a zany conspiracy theory about the NHL being out to get them.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
At this point, I'd like to see Jokinen get more shifts in the top 9. He's probably going to be our best f/o man this series with how Sid struggles against PB. Would also like to see Vitale get in the lineup. Again, with our f/o struggles, no reason not to put him in as well.
I would, too. I think he needs to play with better linemates to be successful. He was great when his line was Kunitz-Jokinen-Iginla, Dupuis-Jokinen-Iginla and Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis.

Having him play with Craig Adams isn't helping anyone.

I think it's time for Kennedy to sit again. He's been regressing and I think both Beau and Vitale can bring more to this series than he can.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Our bottom 6 should have scoring depth on both lines IMO:
Morrow-Sutter-JJ
Cooke-Vitale-Bennett/Kennedy

That leaves our top 6 to go with:
Dupes-Sid-Iggy
Kuni-Geno-Neal
Using that combo of bottom six players I'd go:

Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Vitale

and have Vitale take faceoffs for Sutter's line. I just never liked Morrow and Sutter together.

Edit: But now we're really dreaming. There's always the off chance Kennedy might sit for Beau or Vitale.. but Craig Adams will sit for no one

Old
06-02-2013, 10:46 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Using that combo of bottom six players I'd go:

Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Vitale

and have Vitale take faceoffs for Sutter's line. I just never liked Morrow and Sutter together.

Edit: But now we're really dreaming. There's always the off chance Kennedy might sit for Beau or Vitale.. but Craig Adams will sit for no one
Fair enough, the speed on the 3rd line might be a problem for Morrow but atleast he's only got one job and that's to be a net presence. I like that 4th line though, a lot of toughness in Cooke and Vitale and it might instill some jump into Sutter.

Kennedy has been sat before, so I'm taking that into consideration. Adams, hell no

Old
06-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Fair enough, the speed on the 3rd line might be a problem for Morrow but atleast he's only got one job and that's to be a net presence. I like that 4th line though, a lot of toughness in Cooke and Vitale and it might instill some jump into Sutter.

Kennedy has been sat before, so I'm taking that into consideration. Adams, hell no
See I think it would help Morrow. When Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis was a line it was absolutely incredible. Dupuis's speed actually hid the fact that Morrow has none. It was the perfect combination of speed, grit, and scoring. Bennett isn't quite as fast, but Morrow had good chemistry with him as well.

Old
06-02-2013, 10:55 PM
mpp9

I wouldn't be afraid to throw out the two-headed monster early and often in games. Jokinen is more than capable of handling the next shift with any combo of forwards and be a threat to score. That's this year's team's biggest advantage. You can load up, and still have ridiculous depth to roll out after that.

Old
06-02-2013, 11:00 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Let's move to pre-game talk for Game 2.

Closed Thread