HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part III: Free Agents Suck

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 06:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Andrew Gross and Rick Carpiniello were on a radio show last night. It was an internet radio show. Gross thinks the Rangers could trade Boyle. There were rumors about the Rangers looking to move him at the deadline. Andrew also thinks Boyle is one of the players who got sick of Torts beating on him. He needed a change of scenery or a new coach.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Del Zotto didn't speak to the media last Monday on break up day. Cerny said DZ left after his exit meetings. My cousin told me DZ blocked people on twitter who criticized him. Someone searched twitter for negative tweets and then blocked them if they followed the Del Zotto account. The other players talked after their exit meetings. There were two exit meetings. One with Torts. One with management. The players get a physical before leaving for the summer. Report any injuries which may need surgery. All of the players spoke except DZ.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:34 AM
dethomas07

1- I only trade MDZ until Staal proves hes capable playing top 4 again, back and healthy..

2- Stralman is not a top 4 dman.. hes a fill in top 4.. but isn't constantly good enough to play that role.. I am not undercutting his value/skill set.. hes good just not top 4..

3- No way I trade MDZ for a 7th overall.. top 3 im down.. that level of pick isn't worth it, bc dz is a proven player and has all the tools to be successful.. A new coach should help him out, a lot better, and take away that tentative play here and there..

3-boyle is another that might be traded, but i feel torts was hard asss on him so it should help with new coach..

4- keep 1of powe, pyatt, asham..

5- There might be a lot of buyout candidates out there this summer/before FA in July.. Will be interesting.. Sign clowe if his demands aren't crazy..if not try horton..

6- Wait till 14' to make big splashes.. Play miller, Lindberg, Fast..

should be an interesting off-season, interesting to see what happens..

Old
06-03-2013, 06:40 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I saw a interview with MacTavish from the scouting combine on TSN.ca. Mac said the Oilers will select BPA with the pick. Lowe is telling the media that the pick could be in play. When MacT got the Oilers GM job,he discussed looking to shake up the roster. Finishing out of the playoffs was no longer acceptable. MacTavish scouted the Rangers a lot last season. Especially around the trading deadline. Edmonton didn't have many pieces to sell. Then Edmonton added Scott Howson as their VP of Hockey Operations. He is a big DZ fan. Streit will command $5M plus in free agency. The Oilers coach knows him from Europe. Edmonton is also looking to hire an associate coach for the head coach. Why don't they just replace Krueger instead of bringing in his replacement and keeping Krueger around? Don Maloney wants a ton for Yandle. He wants a top center.
RB, thanks for all the great info as always! Reading your posts is alone woth visiting this place.

Kreuger is drilling those kids hard, and even if he isn't "the man" he will have done a good job educating the players when he is shown the door. I think they are keeping him around for some continuity. If they believe in Kreuger, I still wouldn't be suprised if they got Streit. Kreuger and Streit got a long history together, and a PP with Schultz and Kreuger on them would make them deadly. I also don't think getting Streit rules out them getting another D, like say Del Zotto. They are not one D, Del Z or someone else, from having a solid blueline.

Maybe getting Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson from EDM wouldn't be such a horrible idea. After seing Brassard here, those type of players really help us. MPS gotta be one of the kids in the league given the worst possible environment to boost his value. MPS is a very talented hockey player. Same age as Kreider, and basically in the same boat in terms of talent. Its understandable that EDM don't want to give him away, but they will never get top value for him before he performs in the NHL and he will never perform in the NHL when there are 4-5 kids, plus the vets that supposedly are to bring those kids forward, ahead of him that get all the consideration.

We all want good hockey trades. Getting MPS could be the type of trade that look pretty darn good after a few month's. The kid got a ton of speed and good hands and vision. Solid size. He pwned the SEL at the age of 17. He pwned everyone in the WJC's. He has done pretty well for a 18-20 y/o in NA, but not more than that. He could definitely basically instantly have a Brassard type of impact with good ice time.

Last edited by Ola: 06-03-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old
06-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Ola

Quote:
Andrew Gross and Rick Carpiniello were on a radio show last night. It was an internet radio show. Gross thinks the Rangers could trade Boyle. There were rumors about the Rangers looking to move him at the deadline. Andrew also thinks Boyle is one of the players who got sick of Torts beating on him. He needed a change of scenery or a new coach.
This is of course the type of issue a new coach has alot of impact on.

Tippet for example want some size at center. But he also wants smart centers. Experiecned types who knows where to put the puck.

If we get Tippet, size at center and offensive D's are an issue for us. We are short of both compared to what Tippet are used too.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:01 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I doubt they move Boyle unless it's part of a big package.

With Cally and Hagelin maybe missing time, who is going to PK and take faceoffs?

Stepan would be the only full-time PKer. Powe I don't know if he's full-time, and Pyatt as a full-time PKer? Naw. Dorsett has done it, but do they let him?

The PKers would then have to become some combo of Kreider, Nash, Lindberg, Miller, Fast assuming all those younger guys start with the big club.

Also, even if Lindberg and Miller become the #3 and #4 centers, having Boyle on the wing and a faceoff option is important.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:26 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Either Andrew is an idiot, or Boyle is.

Boyle isn't the player he is today getting paid money he is making today without Torts as his coach.

Boyle is an overrated 4th liner that fit and played Torts system to a T.

Got sick of Torts? Brian Boyle should be kissing Torts ass for the rest of his career.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Mikos87

I'd like to see Pyatt and Asham go, and get replaced by by better skating forwards that can play on the PK, and block shots. They add nothing but 5 on 5 mins, and Asham did not step up, or show up for 40+ games.

Thats two forward spots, the others in question are Richards, Clowe, and Boyle.

Do the Rangers re-sign Clowe?

Buyout Richards?

Trade Boyle?

And if so.. how are they replaced? How much of the roster was Torts losing the team and needing a new coach or scenery, and how are you going to replace them? Over pay in free agency? Trade assets from the system?

Team doesn't exactly need a rebuild, or an overhaul for that matter.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:39 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
I'd like to see Pyatt and Asham go, and get replaced by by better skating forwards that can play on the PK, and block shots. They add nothing but 5 on 5 mins, and Asham did not step up, or show up for 40+ games.

Thats two forward spots, the others in question are Richards, Clowe, and Boyle.

Do the Rangers re-sign Clowe?

Buyout Richards?

Trade Boyle?

And if so.. how are they replaced? How much of the roster was Torts losing the team and needing a new coach or scenery, and how are you going to replace them? Over pay in free agency? Trade assets from the system?

Team doesn't exactly need a rebuild, or an overhaul for that matter.
Here's how I see thsi team headed into the summer.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
??????? - Brassard - ???????
Hagelin - Miller - Callahan
??????? - Newbury - Dorsett

MY preference is to sign Raffi Torres for the 4th line LW spot.

It's the 2nd line LW and RW spots that will be tougher to fill. Maybe if we move both Staal and MDZ and buyout Richards we will have $$ to re-sign Clowe and sign Horton?

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Clowe - Brassard - Horton
Torres - Newbury - Dorsett

McDonagh - Girardi
Moore - McBain
Stralman - McIlrath/Murphy

Lundqvist
Biron

I think that can be done.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Kreider - Stepan - Nash

It's the 2nd line LW and RW spots that will be tougher to fill. Maybe if we move both Staal and MDZ and buyout Richards we will have $$ to re-sign Clowe and sign Horton?

Kreider - Stepan - Nash

McDonagh - Girardi
Moore - McBain

Lundqvist
Biron

if u want horton ( just saying), we could get him simply by buying Richards out and still have plenty to sign our Rfas

Old
06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Kreider - Stepan - Nash

Kreider - Stepan - Nash

McDonagh - Girardi
Moore - McBain

Lundqvist
Biron

Interesting. Although I would never trade two defensemen that garner Norris votes, and Olympic consideration for prospects and a no. 6 guy on a losing team. I think we will see something close to what you've outlined. Horton is a hit away from his career ending, and will cost a fortune to sign.

I say Richards get bought out, and the Rangers use that money to re-sign Clowe, and sign Zidlicky.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
This is of course the type of issue a new coach has alot of impact on.

Tippet for example want some size at center. But he also wants smart centers. Experiecned types who knows where to put the puck.

If we get Tippet, size at center and offensive D's are an issue for us. We are short of both compared to what Tippet are used too.
Tippet will turn Boyle in Handzal if he is hired. IMO he is the best candidate for the job, runs a very similar system, except he has never had the horses on offense as he did in Dallas, and he got a lot out of those teams.

In Dallas he had the offense but unreliable goaltending (Turco towards the end was a sieve), and in PHX, he had great goaltending, but not enough scoring. He would be walking into a dream scenario in NY for his style of play.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Ola

If Tippet is hired, I wouldn't mind these moves and this roster:

1. Buy out Richards.

2. Dump Asham, Pyatt and Powe.

3. Trade MDZ to EDM for Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson and a 2nd and a 3rd (we could atleast try to make it like MDZ, Skeij and Lindberg or something like that for MPS and the 1st, but I guess that's hard...).

4. Trade Carl Hagelin for David Rundblad.

5. Sign a bought out Vinny Lecavalier for 2 years and 5m per.

Keys:
- We give Tippet good conditions to come in and instantly ice a PP with good conditions and the personell to succeed, lets kill this ghost in the cradle with the new coach.

- I love Brassard and Stepan, but lets support them a little. Looking at Chicago for example, thats one really deep lineup. There is no talk about this or that player playing on a "3rd line". 5 on 5 everyone gets ice, then some people gets PP time. The later is all that matters. You can't pay 5m to someone who doesn't PP. But there is nothing wrong with spreading out the talent 5 on 5.

- We get a real offensive punch from the blueline. Tippet knows Rundblad from PHX.

- There is alot of youthful speed on this roster. Kreider, Brass, JT Miller and Pääjärvi, the jersey flutters in the wind behind the back of those kids. They can skate!

It wouldn't be hard for a new coach and come in and ice a team that instantly is recognized as more exciting and offensive than Torts.

- Lecavalier is a decent fit on line-up with alot of kids. He is good on FO's. He is good on the PP. He could take alot of pressure off the kids.

Kreider-Brassard-Nash
JT Miller-Stepan-Callahan
Pääjärvi-Lecavalier-Zuccarello
Haley-Boyle-Dorsett
Staal-Rundblad
McD-Girardi
Moore-Strålman/McIlrath

PP1
----------------------
--------net------Nash
--------Cally---------
----------------------
Step------------Lecav
----------------------
-------Rundblad-------

And Zucc and Brassard to build a strong 2nd unit around.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'd try whatever it takes to get Trouba out of Winnipeg. I've had the pleasure of watching him live every game here at Michigan, and he's the real deal. He's the guy that can help both our PP tremendously (an ACTUAL QB that has a cannon, can get said cannon on net consistently, AND can move the puck) AND can help our problem regarding our current d-core moving the puck out of our zone. He has more offensive talent than anyone on our team not named Rick Nash and maybe Derick Brassard. And he plays the right side.

Something around MDZ for Trouba would make me extremely happy.

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-MZA
xx-Lindberg/Miller-Callahan
Haley-Boyle-Dorsett

That 3 LW spot can be filled by Pyatt, Clowe, or some speedier FA/minor trade/training camp surprise (Hrvik?) we can use as a stopgap.

McD-G
Staal-Stralman
Moore-Trouba

PP: (credit to Ola for the format)

----------------------
--------net------Nash
--------Cally---------
----------------------
Step------------Kreider
----------------------
-------Trouba-------

PP2

----------------------
--------net--------Clowe
--------Boyle---------
----------------------
MZA------------Brassard
----------------------
------Moore---------

In two years or so, our roster could very well look like:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-JT Miller/Christian Thomas
Hrvik-Lindberg/JT Miller-Callahan
Haley-Boyle/Lindberg-Dorsett

McD-Trouba
Staal-G
Moore-McIlrath

With prospects like Nieves, Skjei, Fogarty.etc knocking on the door.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:28 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

You'd be better off asking Winnepeg for Bogosian or Big Buff. Trouba is arguably the best drafted defensive prospect in the world yet to play an NHL game.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:37 AM
NYR Viper

Here ya go:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Ryane Clowe ($3.500m) / Derek Stepan ($3.500m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.000m) / Alexander Burmistrov ($1.750m) / J.T. Miller ($1.244m)
Eric Nystrom ($1.500m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
George Parros ($0.9375m) / Darroll Powe ($1.067m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($3.500m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Mark Streit ($4.000m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Steve Eminger ($0.750m) /

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,584,167; BONUSES: $1,287,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,003,333

Trades:

Taylor Pyatt + Michael Del Zotto

Alexander Burmistrov + WPG 1st '13

Arron Asham + Mats Zuccarello

George Parros + FLA 2nd '13 + FLA 4th '14

Signings:
Eric Nystrom - 3 years @ 1.5 million/season
Derek Stepan(RFA) - 3 years @ 3.5 million/season
Ryan McDonagh(RFA) - 3 years @ 3.5 million/season
Carl Hagelin(RFA) - 2 years @ 2 million/season
Steve Eminger - 1 year @ 750k
Mark Streit - 2 years @ 4 million
Ryane Clowe - 3 years @ 3.5 million/season
Alex Burmistrov(RFA) - 2 years @ 1.75 million/season

Reasoning:

I like the idea of getting a good, young 2-way center in Burmistrov to add to the center corps here. He can play wing if need be and the Rangers feel Lindberg is ready to be that 3c. The 1st rounder will help the Rangers add another good prospect to the stable.

The Asham deal moves out Arron who was pretty good here last year, but it brings in Parros who is one of the better heavyweights in the game and a great locker room guy. Zuccarello is dealt for the picks, allowing the Rangers to select in this years 2nd round.

I re-signed Clowe and Eminger as the Rangers UFA's, I like what they both bring. I think 3 years is fine for Clowe if he will take the money I offered. Eminger is an ideal #7 for this team.

I signed Nystrom and Streit as I am big fan of both. Nystrom brings in a very good PKer and a player who brings some nastiness and edginess to his game. He can play center and wing and can play as a 3rd or 4th liner. He will help chip in some goals from the bottom-6 which was devoid of any offense this season.

Streit is the wildcard here. He is obviously up there in age but I really feel that if paired with a solid defensive d-man like Staal he will thrive. They need someone who will command the PP and bring a shot from the point. Streit brings both of those things. 2 years max but I would also like to bring him in to be a bit of a mentor to some of the younger players who have some talent like Moore and McDonagh to refine their offensive games.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:48 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

4. Trade Carl Hagelin for David Rundblad.
I like Rundblad and I even mentioned him somewhere, but we're trading a proven 2nd/3rd line tweener after 1.5 seasons in the league for a defender who is only 2 years younger and has problems establishing himself in the same league. I acknowledge Rundblad's potential, but I'd like either a more proven young player or a GREAT prospect for Hagelin. Add in that I'm of the opinion his game has a huge question mark for North American hockey. (I'm not a fan of trading Hagelin anyway, because, no matter how big his flaws are, I think his speed is vital to our offense).

Not a fan of this, sorry.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
only on HF, do people (with a team trying to win now) come up with ideas to trade a Top D man with 2 years left on his deal for a "future", or a guy coming off a 40 pt + 36 performance just a season ago. SMFH
People fear his ability to think on the ice. Ya he had a good season last year, and this years shortened season numbers come up not too far from last, but the kid does do some really stupid things. How many of his mistakes cost us a goal or even more time trapped in our zone? I went to every game this year and I used to speak positively of him when people at games didn't, but the only thing that stands out in my head now is some of the terrible passes he made towards the end of this year.

Will he improve with a new coach? I think its definitely a possibility. I remember reading that Torts didn't like him and they had a good deal of problems in the beginning, so maybe Tortorella was the reason he played so badly, but if there is a possibility for a good return why not? The return would have to be very good though.

Honestly I wouldn't change anything right now. I would even consider keeping Richards and see how everyone plays with a new coach. MDZ has talent, so does Richards. Let's see how it pans out. I know people fear Richards getting injured but I think it's worth trying one more season before just throwing away 50+ million.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:04 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Let me add one thing. I get that PHX will want overpayment for Rundblad. But we're not in the position to overpay from a position of weakness for a position of strength. Dealing Hagelin reduces a possible MDZ trade to absurdity. You're not dealing a winger who can play Top 6 minutes if used correctly if you're short on Top 6ers anyway. And no, I'm not convinced by MPS for that position.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id love to trade MDZ+ for the #7+MPS

Old
06-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
id love to trade MDZ+ for the #7+MPS
Me too depending on what the + is.

I'm a little hesitant to trade Del Zotto because of the Staal injury. I don't think the Staal injury makes Del Zotto untouchable BUT the Rangers might find themselves with this top 4:

McD Girardi
Moore Stralman

I'm not sure that's a Stanley Cup contending top 4. We simply don't know how good Staal is going to be next season. What if Staal isn't comfortable playing with the injury?

It's like when I read trade proposals about Staal. What team is trading for a defenseman that has already admitted his eyesight will never be the same? Maybe more importantly what team is willing to trade anything of value? Maybe Carolina but maybe Carolina just waits until Staal becomes a Free Agent.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:28 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers organization meetings are the week on June 10. Next week. Torts should have known he was in trouble because he said the meetings were in late June. They gave him the wrong date. The draft is June 30. Free agency is that Friday.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:28 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Me too depending on what the + is.

I'm a little hesitant to trade Del Zotto because of the Staal injury. I don't think the Staal injury makes Del Zotto untouchable BUT the Rangers might find themselves with this top 4:

McD Girardi
Moore Stralman

I'm not sure that's a Stanley Cup contending top 4. We simply don't know how good Staal is going to be next season. What if Staal isn't comfortable playing with the injury?

It's like when I read trade proposals about Staal. What team is trading for a defenseman that has already admitted his eyesight will never be the same? Maybe more importantly what team is willing to trade anything of value? Maybe Carolina but maybe Carolina just waits until Staal becomes a Free Agent.
They can sign someone. There may be other d-men out there available with the cap coming down as well. There may be some that are bought out.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
They can sign someone. There may be other d-men out there available with the cap coming down as well. There may be some that are bought out.
I'm sure they would sign someone but who? If they are banking on Staal coming back and trade Del Zotto they will probably sign a depth D-man. Somebody that isn't as good as either Del Zotto or Staal. The defense would take a huge hit if Staal isn't healthy enough to play or takes a step backwards. Maybe just MAYBE the talent of the forwards is upgraded to the point where it all balances out.

I'm not against trading Del Zotto but it might end up biting the Rangers in the ass.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Streit would fit in so well here. Really hoping he hits the open market. May get overpaid but his term shouldn't be too long.

Closed Thread