HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal Canadiens Drafting Hit Rate (under Trevor Timmins)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2013, 11:43 AM
  #101
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Kris Letang (3rd round), Claude Giroux (22nd overall), Bergeron (2nd round). These are stars btw and these you have to find/get lucky. I saw multiple NHL regulars in these rounds from:

Lapierre, Bourdon (before his passing), M-E Vlasic, Lats, M.A. Gragnani, Bartulis (sort of regular, don't think so anymore), Jonathan Bernier, Marchand, Voracek, Angelo Esposito?, David Perron, T.J. Brennan?, Jake Allen, Luke Adam, Patrice Cormier?, Scandella, M.A. Bourdon?, Kulikov, Despres, Huberdeau, Couturier, are all top 3 rounds picks from the Q from the past 10 drafts that are regular NHLers that aren't All-Stars. Also add the fact that there aren't many selections from the Q in the top 3 rounds from the past 10 drafts in general makes the percentage, IMO, probably about the same for other leagues, there's just MORE talent in other leagues which I will agree to.

Also players that will be NHL regulars still in development/will be drafted in 2013: Beaulieu, XO, Mackinnon, Drouin (plus others from the 2013 draft).
So? Talent has still dropped in the Q and until Bergevin came along, Timmins was asked to do about a million things with little help.
Our scouting department has bulked up over the past year. We will see what happens in the next coming years.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:52 AM
  #102
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
We drafted a 6+ centre two years after and he didn't really became a force in the league. Players all have weaknesses in their draft year and Perry and Getzlaf were not sure fire superstar...
Just for some comparison in their draft years:

Getzlaf: 68 in 70 GP for the Hitmen
Perry: 78 in 67 GP for the Knights
Leblanc: 59 in 60 GP for the Omaha Lancers

As 18-19 year olds (1 year after draft years):

Getzlaf: 75 in 49 GP for the Hitmen
Perry: 113 in 66 GP for the Knights
Leblanc: 23 in 31 GP for Harvard.

The only reason why Leblanc is drafted higher than either of them is because he was in a weaker draft year. Getzlaf and Perry were going to be superstars. It's very clear, during their draft season and the year after as just upperclassmen in their respective leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
AK was thought to be a top 5 pick at the time. He fell due to his epilepsy issue. So when they saw he was available, they went for him. It was a gamble.
That being said, I still think AK could have been developed better. We struggled developing many of our prospects and they were poorly surrounded.
Really? Why was that the case? I saw his #s while in the KHL, nothing even close to passable for a young kid who supposedly has enough talent to play in the KHL/Russia. My point is this is who MTL passed in favour of picking the Belarussian Superstar:

Jeff Carter: 6'4" C, 71 in 61 for SSM Grehounds in 2002-03
Dustin Brown: 6'0" RW, 76 in 58 for Guelph Storm in 2002-03
Brent Seabrook: 6'3" D, 42 in 69 for Lethbridge Hurricanes in 2002-03
Zach Parise: 5'11" C, 61 in 39 for UND in 2002-03 as an 18 year-old
Ryan Getzlaf: 6'4" C, 68 in 70 for Calgary Hitmen.
Brent Burns: 6'5" D turned RW in SJ, 40 in 68 in 2002-03 as a D for Brampton Battalion
Ryan Kessler: 6'2" C, 31 in 40 for Ohio State
Mike Richards: 5'11" C/LW, 87 in 67 for Kitchener Rangers
Corey Perry: 6'4" RW, 78 in 67 for London Knights.

These are all the ones we passed on in the 1st round. I would've been happier with any of Carter, Brown, Parise, Getzlaf, Perry, Kessler, Richards. But ok, go with the odd one out and take a risk on the Belarussian. Oh well...

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:56 AM
  #103
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
AK was thought to be a top 5 pick at the time. He fell due to his epilepsy issue. So when they saw he was available, they went for him. It was a gamble.
That being said, I still think AK could have been developed better. We struggled developing many of our prospects and they were poorly surrounded.
If I remember correctly this was one of the reasons Gainey gave for blowing up the team and getting Gomez & company in the first place.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:56 AM
  #104
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
We drafted a 6+ centre two years after and he didn't really became a force in the league. Players all have weaknesses in their draft year and Perry and Getzlaf were not sure fire superstar...
Two years after AK46 was Carey Price in the first round, so i don't know who you're referring to here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think it's fair for people to criticize Timmins. I mean, his first rounders aren't stellar. We had and still have all the trouble in the world to draft a big centerman...or powerforward...or even bigger and grittier guy to play in our bottom 6....Having said that, you still look around and find that he's one of the best in the business. No matter how he struggles for some things. So I believe actually that both camps can agree on this. One doesn't exclude the other...he can have his own bad moves...but still be one of the best.

For people though who keeps wondering who else is doing great...well Boston isn't too shabby. Wings as well. You can say that Chicago aside from their top players did fill out their lineup with nice additions. Same for LA.

We've got a good one in our hands. Great to see that the scouting team is getting bigger. Let's hope that bigger means better. But one thing I KNOW for sure. We will really learn how great he was the day he leaves....THAT you can be sure of.
What do u mean? Do u mean because of all the great players he will have drafted for us before he leaves or if he leaves to be an A GM or a GM for another team and could have major success there?

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  #105
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So? Talent has still dropped in the Q and until Bergevin came along, Timmins was asked to do about a million things with little help.
Our scouting department has bulked up over the past year. We will see what happens in the next coming years.
Yes the talent level has dropped in totality, but so have been selections from the Q in the first 3 rounds as well. It happens, but the point is the percentage of great picks or busts to total selections from each league is probably the same for the OHL, WHL, and the Q. The difference is there are considerably less selections from the Q than there are any other league, and sometimes including SEL, Swiss A, KHL, USHL, NCAA...

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:07 PM
  #106
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Just for some comparison in their draft years:

Getzlaf: 68 in 70 GP for the Hitmen
Perry: 78 in 67 GP for the Knights
Leblanc: 59 in 60 GP for the Omaha Lancers

As 18-19 year olds (1 year after draft years):

Getzlaf: 75 in 49 GP for the Hitmen
Perry: 113 in 66 GP for the Knights
Leblanc: 23 in 31 GP for Harvard.

The only reason why Leblanc is drafted higher than either of them is because he was in a weaker draft year. Getzlaf and Perry were going to be superstars. It's very clear, during their draft season and the year after as just upperclassmen in their respective leagues.



Really? Why was that the case? I saw his #s while in the KHL, nothing even close to passable for a young kid who supposedly has enough talent to play in the KHL/Russia. My point is this is who MTL passed in favour of picking the Belarussian Superstar:

Jeff Carter: 6'4" C, 71 in 61 for SSM Grehounds in 2002-03
Dustin Brown: 6'0" RW, 76 in 58 for Guelph Storm in 2002-03
Brent Seabrook: 6'3" D, 42 in 69 for Lethbridge Hurricanes in 2002-03
Zach Parise: 5'11" C, 61 in 39 for UND in 2002-03 as an 18 year-old
Ryan Getzlaf: 6'4" C, 68 in 70 for Calgary Hitmen.
Brent Burns: 6'5" D turned RW in SJ, 40 in 68 in 2002-03 as a D for Brampton Battalion
Ryan Kessler: 6'2" C, 31 in 40 for Ohio State
Mike Richards: 5'11" C/LW, 87 in 67 for Kitchener Rangers
Corey Perry: 6'4" RW, 78 in 67 for London Knights.

These are all the ones we passed on in the 1st round. I would've been happier with any of Carter, Brown, Parise, Getzlaf, Perry, Kessler, Richards. But ok, go with the odd one out and take a risk on the Belarussian. Oh well...
And the list of 1st rounders that did worse than AK are: Zherdev, Jessiman, Nilsson, Bernier, Fehr, Stuart, Pouliot, Stewart, Boyle, Tambellini, Eaves, Belle.

I bet two-thirds of the teams wish they could redo their selection.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:12 PM
  #107
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Kris Letang (3rd round), Claude Giroux (22nd overall), Bergeron (2nd round). These are stars btw and these you have to find/get lucky. I saw multiple NHL regulars in these rounds from:

Lapierre, Bourdon (before his passing), M-E Vlasic, Lats, M.A. Gragnani, Bartulis (sort of regular, don't think so anymore), Jonathan Bernier, Marchand, Voracek, Angelo Esposito?, David Perron, T.J. Brennan?, Jake Allen, Luke Adam, Patrice Cormier?, Scandella, M.A. Bourdon?, Kulikov, Despres, Huberdeau, Couturier, are all top 3 rounds picks from the Q from the past 10 drafts that are regular NHLers that aren't All-Stars. Also add the fact that there aren't many selections from the Q in the top 3 rounds from the past 10 drafts in general makes the percentage, IMO, probably about the same for other leagues, there's just MORE talent in other leagues which I will agree to.

Also players that will be NHL regulars still in development/will be drafted in 2013: Beaulieu, XO, Mackinnon, Drouin (plus others from the 2013 draft).
Esposito is an NHL regular? Half your list don't even play in the nhl and half of the other half were top 10 picks.

Ezpz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:12 PM
  #108
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,721
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Just for some comparison in their draft years:

Getzlaf: 68 in 70 GP for the Hitmen
Perry: 78 in 67 GP for the Knights
Leblanc: 59 in 60 GP for the Omaha Lancers

As 18-19 year olds (1 year after draft years):

Getzlaf: 75 in 49 GP for the Hitmen
Perry: 113 in 66 GP for the Knights
Leblanc: 23 in 31 GP for Harvard.

The only reason why Leblanc is drafted higher than either of them is because he was in a weaker draft year. Getzlaf and Perry were going to be superstars. It's very clear, during their draft season and the year after as just upperclassmen in their respective leagues.



Really? Why was that the case? I saw his #s while in the KHL, nothing even close to passable for a young kid who supposedly has enough talent to play in the KHL/Russia. My point is this is who MTL passed in favour of picking the Belarussian Superstar:

Jeff Carter: 6'4" C, 71 in 61 for SSM Grehounds in 2002-03
Dustin Brown: 6'0" RW, 76 in 58 for Guelph Storm in 2002-03
Brent Seabrook: 6'3" D, 42 in 69 for Lethbridge Hurricanes in 2002-03
Zach Parise: 5'11" C, 61 in 39 for UND in 2002-03 as an 18 year-old
Ryan Getzlaf: 6'4" C, 68 in 70 for Calgary Hitmen.
Brent Burns: 6'5" D turned RW in SJ, 40 in 68 in 2002-03 as a D for Brampton Battalion
Ryan Kessler: 6'2" C, 31 in 40 for Ohio State
Mike Richards: 5'11" C/LW, 87 in 67 for Kitchener Rangers
Corey Perry: 6'4" RW, 78 in 67 for London Knights.

These are all the ones we passed on in the 1st round. I would've been happier with any of Carter, Brown, Parise, Getzlaf, Perry, Kessler, Richards. But ok, go with the odd one out and take a risk on the Belarussian. Oh well...
no, that's hindsight hogwash.

AK was ranked 3rd in european skaters. he was drafted exactly where he should have been. of course it's a bad pick when you look back, but don't act like he didn't belong to be drafted where he was. in fact, the draft pretty much followed the draft rankings.

and brown, who was ranked 2nd in NA skaters was picked 12th. dont remember, that was a long time ago, but looks like he had some other issues because a lot of teams passed on him

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:27 PM
  #109
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
And the list of 1st rounders that did worse than AK are: Zherdev, Jessiman, Nilsson, Bernier, Fehr, Stuart, Pouliot, Stewart, Boyle, Tambellini, Eaves, Belle.

I bet two-thirds of the teams wish they could redo their selection.
First of all, that's only 12 players. So about 1/3 of the teams. And secondly I did indeed mention the fact that us and other teams wished they didn't pass on guys like Carter, Richards, Getzlaf, Perry, etc.

So try reading this entire thread first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Esposito is an NHL regular? Half your list don't even play in the nhl and half of the other half were top 10 picks.
There's a reason why I put a question mark beside him (or are your reading comprehension skills missing here). What do you mean half aren't in the NHL. And here are the top 10 picks:

Bourdon
Voracek
Huberdeau
Couturier

So 4 out of 21 players. So about 20% which is 1/5 not 1/2 of 1/2 = 1/4.

Which half (10-11 players) don't play in the NHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
no, that's hindsight hogwash.

AK was ranked 3rd in european skaters. he was drafted exactly where he should have been. of course it's a bad pick when you look back, but don't act like he didn't belong to be drafted where he was. in fact, the draft pretty much followed the draft rankings.

and brown, who was ranked 2nd in NA skaters was picked 12th. dont remember, that was a long time ago, but looks like he had some other issues because a lot of teams passed on him
3rd in European players or 3rd in European draft-eligible skaters. Where and why was he placed so high if it was the latter or the former. The draft didn't follow the rankings as apparently we got AK46 at a steal (was supposed to be top 5). I understand teams passed on Brown (was a bit smaller than the other stars to come out of that draft) and possibly other off-ice stuff. Point is, I would rather have drafted Getzlaf at 10th then AKost. Power forward Centres like Getzlaf who could score don't come along very often...and we decided to pass on him as did 18 over teams, but we ended up with a "bust" and other teams (about 10 of the 18) did not. I wouldn't be pissed if we drafted Carter instead of Getzlaf but because we drafted AK46, i am rightfully so.

Show me AK's stats while he was in the KHL and what made him a top 5 draft pick that slipped due to his epilepsy.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  #110
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
It's 2013, let's fire Timmins because he could have made a better 1st round choice in 2003.


DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:46 PM
  #111
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I will support this. Trevor Timmins entered his 12th season with the Montreal Canadiens after joining the organization in 2002-03.

For skaters:

Stars?

Subban

Very good?

Max and McDo, both 1st rounders. Very good picks, but so what, lots of teams make great picks in round 1.

Chuckie, a no brainer.

Gally, we will see how long he lasts. Very good pick, I'll give him that.

But: In fact. TT has blown at least three first round picks badly: Kosty, Fischer, and Leblanc.

That is why I do not agree with the TT love, at all.

The rest? Zero, zip, Nada. Nothing. I don't give a **** if he's good at drafting grinders and 3rd line PK specialists. Wow.

I have said this repeatedly about Timmins, and I stand by it.

When he finds a Zetteberg or a Datsyuk, then I'll say he's a draft king. Right now, he is not. He just is not. Get over it.

12 years: Hidden gems picked:

Subby and Gally.

1st round total, disaster busts:

Kosty and Fischer. Possibly Leblanc also. Two, maybe three picks that killed this team.

Timmins BLOWS at first round picks, and he finds very few late round stars. I mean stars, not Tim ****ing Bozon.

And don't blame the GMs. It is TT's job to advise and insist on top picks, and avoid 1st round busts. He did not do that.

No love for TT, at all.

Bergy will know the score on our 2012 and 2013 picks within 2 years. If none of last year's, or this year's picks are becoming special, TT is ****ing long gone. And good riddance. I'm so sick or our endless misses in the draft.
The majority of 1st round picks are busts.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:49 PM
  #112
jnthomas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It's 2013, let's fire Timmins because he could have made a better 1st round choice in 2003.

He made a bad pick on his first year on the job. Heck he admitted it himself that he wanted to go to with Getzlaf, but most of his staff wanted AK46. So first year in the job, people around you pushing for a specific pick. Hard to be too angry there.

As for the Fisher pick, he's on record saying they picked the guy because their talent pool on D was low at the time. He also added that they typically go for bpa and would return to that strategy since it gave them better results.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:55 PM
  #113
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
He made a bad pick on his first year on the job. Heck he admitted it himself that he wanted to go to with Getzlaf, but most of his staff wanted AK46. So first year in the job, people around you pushing for a specific pick. Hard to be too angry there.

As for the Fisher pick, he's on record saying they picked the guy because their talent pool on D was low at the time. He also added that they typically go for bpa and would return to that strategy since it gave them better results.
If this was the case, then I can't blame him for going with AKost. Rest of the staff plus probably Gainey went with AK46 instead of Getzlaf, then they're the idiots.

PS I never said fire Timmy because of 1 bad pick in 2003 (his first on the job as Director of Amateur Scouting I believe). In fact, I would check myself into an asane asylum if I IMPLIED (never said) firing Timmins.

His 2nd through 4th and beyond draft selections are ridiculously sexy.

TT for Ass GM!

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:55 PM
  #114
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Two years after AK46 was Carey Price in the first round, so i don't know who you're referring to here...
I meant a year after...Chipchura. I just wanted to say that it's easy after several years to say we should have gone for that player because he was big and strong...but it's always more complicated than that.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:56 PM
  #115
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,441
vCash: 500
Wow that's impressive, good job with the stats and research

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:02 PM
  #116
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I meant a year after...Chipchura. I just wanted to say that it's easy after several years to say we should have gone for that player because he was big and strong...but it's always more complicated than that.
I think the 04 draft after Ovechkin and Malkin was pretty weak. However, I do think Green would have been the smarter pick to go with just looking at stats alone.

Harder to do in hindsight I agree, but the stats are there. You can take a look for yourself...

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:06 PM
  #117
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
First of all, that's only 12 players. So about 1/3 of the teams. And secondly I did indeed mention the fact that us and other teams wished they didn't pass on guys like Carter, Richards, Getzlaf, Perry, etc.

So try reading this entire thread first.
So a third of teams did worse than us, and another third are like us and got a decent to good player but missed out on better players. It's a perfectly normal state of affairs.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:19 PM
  #118
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
So a third of teams did worse than us, and another third are like us and got a decent to good player but missed out on better players. It's a perfectly normal state of affairs.
A third of the teams in the first round were like us or worse in selecting a non-impact or star player. For proof, see here.

It wasn't a perfectly state of affairs.

Here are all the teams in front of us that had a worse 1st round:

Columbus: Nikolai Zherdev (about the same, a little worse IMO)
Atlanta: Brayden Cobourn (about the same, a little better IMO as Cobourn is a top 4 D and AK46 is not in the NHL...)

Here are all the teams below us that had a worse 1st round:

New York Rangers: Hugh Jessiman
New York Islanders: Robert Nilsson
San Jose Sharks: Steve Bernier
Washington Capitals: Eric Fehr (slightly worse than us, but they were also about 10 picks lower)
Boston Bruins: Mark Stuart (worse than us, but were also 10 picks lower)
Edmonton Oilers: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Florida Panthers: Anthony Stewart (slightly better than us, 10-15 picks lower)
Los Angeles Kings: Brian Boyle (slightly better than us, 15+ picks lower)
Los Angeles Kings: Jeff Tambellini
Ottawa Senators: Patrick Eaves (slightly better than us, 15+ picks lower)
St. Louis Blues: Shawn Belle.

My point is out of the 20 teams below us, 9 of them had a better 1st round than us with a better selection, and most of them by a long shot. 50+% of the players in the 1st round are either stars or impact players in the NHL. Ours is no longer playing IN the NHL.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:25 PM
  #119
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
A third of the teams in the first round were like us or worse in selecting a non-impact or star player. For proof, see here.

It wasn't a perfectly state of affairs.

Here are all the teams in front of us that had a worse 1st round:

Columbus: Nikolai Zherdev (about the same, a little worse IMO)
Atlanta: Brayden Cobourn (about the same, a little better IMO as Cobourn is a top 4 D and AK46 is not in the NHL...)

Here are all the teams below us that had a worse 1st round:

New York Rangers: Hugh Jessiman
New York Islanders: Robert Nilsson
San Jose Sharks: Steve Bernier
Washington Capitals: Eric Fehr (slightly worse than us, but they were also about 10 picks lower)
Boston Bruins: Mark Stuart (worse than us, but were also 10 picks lower)
Edmonton Oilers: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Florida Panthers: Anthony Stewart (slightly better than us, 10-15 picks lower)
Los Angeles Kings: Brian Boyle (slightly better than us, 15+ picks lower)
Los Angeles Kings: Jeff Tambellini
Ottawa Senators: Patrick Eaves (slightly better than us, 15+ picks lower)
St. Louis Blues: Shawn Belle.

My point is out of the 20 teams below us, 9 of them had a better 1st round than us with a better selection, and most of them by a long shot. 50+% of the players in the 1st round are either stars or impact players in the NHL. Ours is no longer playing IN the NHL.

How in the world are Stewart, Boyle or Eaves even close to AK46? AK was a legit top 6 forward, Stewart isn't an NHLer and Boyle/Eaves are fringe guys.

Ezpz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:35 PM
  #120
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
How in the world are Stewart, Boyle or Eaves even close to AK46? AK was a legit top 6 forward, Stewart isn't an NHLer and Boyle/Eaves are fringe guys.
I must be confusing Anthony Stewart and the other one on St. Louis (Chris?).

As for Boyle and Eaves, they are role playing guys and are actually in the NHL. Where's AK46 (insert cricket noises)?

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:48 PM
  #121
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
A third of the teams in the first round were like us or worse in selecting a non-impact or star player. For proof, see here.

It wasn't a perfectly state of affairs.

Here are all the teams in front of us that had a worse 1st round:

Columbus: Nikolai Zherdev (about the same, a little worse IMO)
Atlanta: Brayden Cobourn (about the same, a little better IMO as Cobourn is a top 4 D and AK46 is not in the NHL...)

Here are all the teams below us that had a worse 1st round:

New York Rangers: Hugh Jessiman
New York Islanders: Robert Nilsson
San Jose Sharks: Steve Bernier
Washington Capitals: Eric Fehr (slightly worse than us, but they were also about 10 picks lower)
Boston Bruins: Mark Stuart (worse than us, but were also 10 picks lower)
Edmonton Oilers: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Florida Panthers: Anthony Stewart (slightly better than us, 10-15 picks lower)
Los Angeles Kings: Brian Boyle (slightly better than us, 15+ picks lower)
Los Angeles Kings: Jeff Tambellini
Ottawa Senators: Patrick Eaves (slightly better than us, 15+ picks lower)
St. Louis Blues: Shawn Belle.

My point is out of the 20 teams below us, 9 of them had a better 1st round than us with a better selection, and most of them by a long shot. 50+% of the players in the 1st round are either stars or impact players in the NHL. Ours is no longer playing IN the NHL.
You can't evaluate a draft by looking at who you didn't pick otherwise 29 teams failed when they didn't select Shea Weber. We had an average draft that year.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:57 PM
  #122
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
You can't evaluate a draft by looking at who you didn't pick otherwise 29 teams failed when they didn't select Shea Weber. We had an average draft that year.
I was talking about the first round only.

And yes you can in comparison to your pick. If i'm Philadelphia, i had a great draft in 2003 considering i got Carter and Richards (even though they flipped both of them for prospects plus 1st rounders at the draft two years ago). If i'm Nashville, I had a great draft too. Same goes with Anaheim, New Jersey, etc. Montreal had a below average draft (especially considering their position) and other teams like Columbus also below average, teams like Rangers, Islanders, Sharks, Bruins, Oilers, Panthers, Kings, Blues had significantly worse drafts.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:16 PM
  #123
jnthomas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
If this was the case, then I can't blame him for going with AKost. Rest of the staff plus probably Gainey went with AK46 instead of Getzlaf, then they're the idiots.

PS I never said fire Timmy because of 1 bad pick in 2003 (his first on the job as Director of Amateur Scouting I believe). In fact, I would check myself into an asane asylum if I IMPLIED (never said) firing Timmins.

His 2nd through 4th and beyond draft selections are ridiculously sexy.

TT for Ass GM!
Yeah, I know you never said fire him. I was just adding to your implying that firing a guy for a mistake he made ten years ago was silly, by adding some of the information people don't know or have forgotten.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:23 PM
  #124
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
If you hate Timmins then you must detest every other scouting staff in the league. I'lla sk you the same thing i asked One Dull Marble. Name 5 teams that have done better than this during the same time period:

03
Andrei K
Lapierre
O'Byrne
Halak

04
Emelin
Grabovsky
Streit

05
Price
Latendresse
D'agostini
Sergei K

06
White

07
McDonagh
Patches
Subban
Webber

I don't want to hear your opinion, I want to see the picks of those 5 teams.
no one , hands down TT has produced more NHL players at the draft than anyone
our only problem is the lack of first round misses or disapointments like Fisher and AK46 , though he was rated high , man we missed so many top players in a great great draft and that hurts

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:29 PM
  #125
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
Yeah, I know you never said fire him. I was just adding to your implying that firing a guy for a mistake he made ten years ago was silly, by adding some of the information people don't know or have forgotten.
I've said fire certain people or been upset about certain management's decisions (BG, PG, etc.) without knowing some critical info maybe?

However I know everything about BG's time as the GM, from TT (now, thank you very much) to Kovalev acquisition, to Price selection, to Huet trade to Koivu non re-sign to Gomez and everything else in between. Still think he was one of our worst GMs in history, but not worse than Rejean. My god we have had some bad management at the helm of our beloved franchise.

And I don't think it was a colossal mistake, like drafting David Fischer that he knows they screwed up on, but still a mistake i think.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.