HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks sign G Antti Raanta

Old
06-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Sarava

vCash: 500
Like this move

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
This is a great step forward, getting a player I wanted, very happy with Bowman. Now, as long as they don't piss on face and then resign Emery, it should work out.
Come on now, guy went 17-1 this year as our back up.

I would be A-OK with them assigning this guy to the AHL for one year, and having Emery as our back up, as long as it doesn't prevent us from re-signing Bickell or Leddy.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Pailhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Come on now, guy went 17-1 this year as our back up.

I would be A-OK with them assigning this guy to the AHL for one year, and having Emery as our back up, as long as it doesn't prevent us from re-signing Bickell or Leddy.
I'd take Emery back without hesitation as the backup for 1.15 million. There's no way he comes back for that price though.

Pailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pailhead View Post
I'd take Emery back without hesitation as the backup for 1.15 million. There's no way he comes back for that price though.
I don't think so either, but you never know. He could want the chance to be a solid back-up on a winning team..and if no other teams are offering him much, he may not have a choice but to accept a cheaper deal.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:46 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

why would emery want to re-sign here as a back up for little money? he will be able to get a much better contract elsewhere.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Hawkaholic

I'm not saying he will, but there is the chance no other team offers him much more than the Hawks would given his injury history and play. There are a lot of goalies out there this off-season too.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:53 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Please just let Raanta have his chance and don't resign Emery. After coming around and coming to terms with Razor, it isn't even about him anymore, the fans are ****ing ridiculous, still wanting to get him into the nets, even today. It's enough and has long since worn out its welcome.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Please just let Raanta have his chance and don't resign Emery. After coming around and coming to terms with Razor, it isn't even about him anymore, the fans are ****ing ridiculous, still wanting to get him into the nets, even today. It's enough and has long since worn out its welcome.
********, you can't stand the guy..from Day 1.

He's a perfect back up for this team, and if Raanta is better served taking a year in the AHL to get used to things, then I fully support our management team in their decisions.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Razor was the best backup in the NHL year this year. I don't know what your issues with him are - but they clearly aren't about his performance.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:58 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
I'm not saying he will, but there is the chance no other team offers him much more than the Hawks would given his injury history and play. There are a lot of goalies out there this off-season too.
the hawks don't have the space to offer him much of a raise - and no matter what he gets it's certain to be an improvement on this year. the only way i see him stay in chicago is if they offer him something long term...b/c the last few years all he's been getting are shortterm contracts.

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 3m
#Blackhawks officially announce that they have signed Finnish goalie Antti Raanta, 24. He was his league's MVP in regular season, playoffs.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:59 AM
hockeydoug

Has Chicago ever had success signing a 24 FA from overseas?

I was reading the rumors of him signing in other places, pleasantly surprised Bowman landed him. Big hole in the system, happy it was addressed.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
the hawks don't have the space to offer him much of a raise - and no matter what he gets it's certain to be an improvement on this year. the only way i see him stay in chicago is if they offer him something long term...b/c the last few years all he's been getting are shortterm contracts.

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 3m
#Blackhawks officially announce that they have signed Finnish goalie Antti Raanta, 24. He was his league's MVP in regular season, playoffs.
You don't see it happening if no other team offers Emery 1mil? Every team could offer him 900k, then the Hawks would only have to offer him 800k to stay.

Something like that COULD happen. Not saying it will.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Has Chicago ever had success signing a 24 FA from overseas?

I was reading the rumors of him signing in other places, pleasantly surprised Bowman landed him. Big hole in the system, happy it was addressed.
Have they ever had success signing a Finnish goalie that was 24 years old?

Everything about this is reminding me of Niemi.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:08 PM
coldsteelonice84

Yeah, I could definitely see that happening with Emery. And to put my earlier point better, when countless members of the fan base are calling for Emery over Crawford, even in the middle of the playoffs, the love affair has gone too far. I get that everybody hates Crawford because of his...personality..WTF , but let's just go with the most talented guy we have, Crawford, and a promising young guy (Raanta) for the future that could potentially take over him if his price gets too high. Hawks could have another Turco situation if they lost Crawford and had nobody ready behind him.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Sarava

I agree that Emery is probably done here. Bickell getting re-signed will be the priority and that will leave little capspace. But if that happens - I certainly am thankful to Emery for what he did in his 2 years here.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:09 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Have they ever had success signing a Finnish goalie that was 24 years old?

Everything about this is reminding me of Niemi.
That's what I was implying. Sorry for the sarcasm.
I was happy about the Niemi signing at the time and I'm happy about this one.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:10 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I agree that Emery is probably done here. Bickell getting re-signed will be the priority and that will leave little capspace. But if that happens - I certainly am thankful to Emery for what he did in his 2 years here.
Emery did a good job and ending it with a Cup would be great. Then maybe he can find some cap floor team to give him like 1 year, 5M, make his cash and retire with a ring, a ton of money and the possibility of preserving his health.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:11 PM
hockeydoug

I don't think this move tells us anything about their plans for the backup goalie position for the offseason. I think this was just a matter of Chicago improving the talent pool and addressing a weak area.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:13 PM
JJTT

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672792

official confirmation from hawks website

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:14 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
I don't think this move tells us anything about their plans for the backup goalie position for the offseason. I think this was just a matter of Chicago improving the talent pool and addressing a weak area.
I agree that the way this organization has done business in the past, nobody knows for sure that he will be the backup. That said, I get the strong impression they probably would have had to lie to Raanta's face to convince him that this was a better opportunity than other teams if they really had intentions of starting him in the AHL. Other teams in need of goaltending would have put him right on the roster.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
I'm also starting to wonder how much Bowman is actually tipping his hand on next year's goalie plans.

When we got Salak, another promising young European goalie that we all thought would be the backup for sure, Bowman made sure he had to compete for the spot by signing Emery.

Even if Emery isn't coming back next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bowman sign someone else just to make sure Raanta has to earn his NHL time.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Yeah, I could definitely see that happening with Emery. And to put my earlier point better, when countless members of the fan base are calling for Emery over Crawford, even in the middle of the playoffs, the love affair has gone too far. I get that everybody hates Crawford because of his...personality..WTF , but let's just go with the most talented guy we have, Crawford, and a promising young guy (Raanta) for the future that could potentially take over him if his price gets too high. Hawks could have another Turco situation if they lost Crawford and had nobody ready behind him.
I can't say I have seen anyone calling for Emery right now. If they are, they aren't very knowledgeable. Still, lousy excuse to get rid of one of the best back-ups in the league this year.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I'm also starting to wonder how much Bowman is actually tipping his hand on next year's goalie plans.

When we got Salak, another promising young European goalie that we all thought would be the backup for sure, Bowman made sure he had to compete for the spot by signing Emery.

Even if Emery isn't coming back next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bowman sign someone else just to make sure Raanta has to earn his NHL time.
Yup, imo, they should do this. Sign a Dan Ellis or someone just to give Raanta competition. What are we going to do if Raanta is really fighting it and can't handle the NHL?

Old
06-03-2013, 12:20 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Agreed 100%, I just think that is a horrible idea given that Q will likely just hand the job to the NHL veteran regardless of how either of the two perform. It's a pattern we have seen with every position on the ice.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Agreed 100%, I just think that is a horrible idea given that Q will likely just hand the job to the NHL veteran regardless of how either of the two perform. It's a pattern we have seen with every position on the ice.
You should just trust Q's decisions from now on.

You said the same thing when he picked Emery over Salak. This year, one had a 17-1 record in the NHL, the other wasn't even in North America anymore.