HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse first game impressions

Old
10-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke View Post
I have no clue if someone talked about this before, but am I the only one to blame Latendresse for the Sabres' first goal? He was standing in front of the net and watching the player with the puck behind the goalie instead of watching his player right next to him, who scored easily when he received the puck few moments after.

They didn't say a word about it on RDS, blaming some other player. I guess they are already "protecting" Latendresse this year! I have nothing against Latendresse, but I just think he could have easily avoided the first goal by Buffalo on this sequence.
Agreed... he was called out for it (very mildly) on TSN. Mildness was all it called for, too. Lots of players blow a chance to break up a play that results in a goal over the course of the season. No need to get too worked up about it, especially from a 19-year old kid in his first NHL game. We had veteran players doing the same thing. RDS has a long history of choosing their favourites to exempt from any criticism, however mild, and I have no doubt that Latendresse has full exemption.

Anyway, as others have said Buffalo isn't really the team Latendresse matches up best against. It will be interesting to see if he can get more action against a more plodding team like the Leafs. That should be his best chance.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 08:24 AM
pavlako11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke View Post
I have no clue if someone talked about this before, but am I the only one to blame Latendresse for the Sabres' first goal? He was standing in front of the net and watching the player with the puck behind the goalie instead of watching his player right next to him, who scored easily when he received the puck few moments after.

They didn't say a word about it on RDS, blaming some other player. I guess they are already "protecting" Latendresse this year! I have nothing against Latendresse, but I just think he could have easily avoided the first goal by Buffalo on this sequence.
I'm not sure if it was already posted but I think that line had been on for a while and they were tired. A.Markov had the puck in the corner and mildly shot it up the boards and the puck stayed in and then 10 seconds later it was in the net. So even though Lats might be partly to blame, I think that was where it all started.

Having said that, Lats did look slow out there but it might just be compared to Buffalo.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 08:39 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I like Perez, I think he's a good player, but he has two flaws :

(1) He does not shot well enough and reminds me of Petrov. It's not that he doesn't have a good shot, he just doesn't place himself properly in the offencive zonde and doesn' shot enough, and when he shoots, he misses out of nervosity. On the other hand, he displays a great, but inconsistent stickhandling : he is sometimes able to deke the goalie or the defencemen, but he looses the puck most of the time.

(2) he looses the puck way more often than he should.

I hope he can overcome those two flaws, but until he overcomes these flaws, he will not be the player we expected him to be. And I donb't care about the boards, I don't care about the physical part of the game : as long as Perez dekes, doesn't give the puck to the opponent, shoots and passes well enough, we'll be ok. He's that type of player.

Gui really needs to work on his first step. What exactly was he doing standing in front of the net on Novotny's goal anyway? Cover the point man doofus.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 08:56 AM
hendextall

I was at the game last night, and watched him everytime he stepped on the ice. He did look lost whenever he wasn't in the offensive zone, but once they were in control in the offensive zone he looked great. He had 2 really good shifts in the first period. The one where he broke up the play and tried to beat the buffalo defencemen.

And the shift where Peters hit Begin. Begin was on the ice, the whole team stopped except for Latendresse. He was able to control the puck in Buffalo's end by himself against 3 Sabres before the ref finally blew the whistle on the penalty. I thought it was pretty impressive.

hendextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Dynasty

Huh, he actually played...I didn't notice him at all. So I guess he was a non-factor in the game. He can only improve from this point on.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:37 PM
MXD

Looked lost in his own zone (and never, ever went to the boards in the D-Zone, which is, at this point, the most useful he can be on the D-Zone) - maybe this was a tactical choice by Carbo.

However, he was good along the boards and in the O-Zone (well, along the boards meant the O-Zone for him last game...), nice sequence when he came out with the puck with 3 guys on him, and made Buffalo take a penalty (Peters, if my memory's right).

Slow on accelleration, but again, everyone is or was aware of this. That's about all that can be said on his first game.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 05:39 PM
tinyzombies

He made a few little mistakes, but I thought he did well to not overcommit and played his fourth line role well.

Begin could have set him up with an open net at one point, but decided to shoot from a bad angle.

He needs to be on a scoring line. Hopefully they'll get him there sooner rather than later.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:04 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I've yet to see the reason for all the hype. However he is on the fourth line, just his lack of speed and his obliviousness in the defensive zone scares me.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Haven't seen him throw one bodycheck in 2 games.

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:22 PM
larue*

After 2 games and watching Lats play limited time on the fourth line I have to say this.
He doesnt seem comfortable playing crash bang,, chase him around the ice (Begin,Murray) hockey. Begin and Murray are very useful to this team but it doesnt fit Lats. He needs atleast to be on the 2nd, a line that opts for more offence and creating offence. I know it is only 2 games......lets see what happens from here.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:25 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
After 2 games and watching Lats play limited time on the fourth line I have to say this.
He doesnt seem comfortable playing crash bang,, chase him around the ice (Begin,Murray) hockey. Begin and Murray are very useful to this team but it doesnt fit Lats. He needs atleast to be on the 2nd, a line that opts for more offence and creating offence. I know it is only 2 games......lets see what happens from here.
I agree with you.. Latendresse isn't usefull on the checking line.. He needs someone to feed him if he wants to create some opportunities. he's an offensive player, not a checking/defensive type of player.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:30 PM
zx81

Quote:
Good point. There is no chemistry between the 3 even though Begin and Murray work really hard.

No matter what, Lats has to increase his intensity level. Some say he's slow but I would say he's a tad lazy. He had a good shift in the 3rd that led us to a PP (2nd time in 2 games) so it's not all bad. I just think he must play more physical.

On the other hand, with Bégin and Murray doing the physical work I'm not sure what's his real role on this line.

You sure bring a good point anyway.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:33 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

as an unbaised fan who has watched all of the Toronto game, and the second half of the Buffalo game, he just doesn't look NHL ready. Rushes most of his passes, and makes the wrong play a lot of the time. You can definitely see the potential though..

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
He isn't showing anything and thats my problem. He isn't bringing any physical game. He hasn't brought his intensity up from preseason to regular season and he is behind on the plays. He is 19 years old and it shows.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:39 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
He isn't showing anything and thats my problem. He isn't bringing any physical game. He hasn't brought his intensity up from preseason to regular season and he is behind on the plays. He is 19 years old and it shows.
And what would Patrice Bergeron of played like at 19 on the fourth line........UH

Old
10-07-2006, 09:41 PM
JrHockeyFan

Wow

Latendresse was out there?

Seriously: Pretty forgetable. He was invisible for the most part unless you looked for him.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:44 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I'm a firm believer that you have to earn your spot in the NHL but at this point I'd be willing to try him on the second line if Samsonov and Kovalev don't get going. Anyway people need to remember that Ryder and Higgins started off on the fourth line...it doesn't mean he'll be a career bottom-feeder. Just give it time.

I noticed that in both games he did get a small amount of time on a line with Koivu and Higgins...

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Clumsyhab

I liked our 4th line, but Tender is no doubt the weakest link on that line. Begin is still Begin, distributing hits all over the place and Murray is working hard on every shift as well. Tender on the other side is useless on that line. Don't wanna be hard on the kid, but he looks like Dagenais out there. Maybe he will be more useful as a top 6 forward.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Lestriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I noticed that in both games he did get a small amount of time on a line with Koivu and Higgins...
That's because of an icing call. Latendresse dumped the puck to go change, Higgins and Koivu were already on the ice but Latendresse was late on the line change so he had to stay because of the icing.

Old
10-07-2006, 09:53 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Oh, okay. I was wondering if it was something like that but after seeing it two nights in a row I thought Carbo might be trying to give the kid a spark.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Mike8

People are eager to say Latendresse isn't showing much, but I'd like to point out the fact that the fourth line isn't showing much period--and that's not because of Latendresse.

The fourth line is not very good right now. I like Begin and Murray a lot, but they need an anchor. Bonk was that anchor for them. Latendresse served a real purpose with Bonk and Begin, but by sticking him with Begin and Murray it turns into a nothing-line.

Neither Begin nor Murray can do much with the puck, and Latendresse is too young to really be the offensive catalyst. So what happens is this line can't sustain any real pressure in the offensive zone, and they wind up hemmed in their own zone all too often.

It doesn't work, and it needs to be fixed. How? I'm not sure. It's lower priority to me than fixing the second and third line, which I'm still convinced need a little tweak (in the form of a russkie-swap).

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:56 PM
QuebeCaniac

He needs to play more IMO. He seems lost on the ice when the puck is in the Hab zone. He would be effective on an offensive line, not on the 4th. Hopefully, he'll earn a spot on the top 2 lines soon.

I didn't like his reaction when he drew that hooking penalty in the third: he faked as if he was hit in the face.

QuebeCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Lestriker

As much as I like Latendresse, he is not NHL-ready at this point.

Old
10-07-2006, 10:02 PM
larue*

Well Guy and Bob have to realize that Lats earned a contract and a spot on this team as the guy who hit, stood in front of the net, and created chances playing with players like Koivu, Higgins, and Pleks. He didnt earn his spot as being a 4th line grinder. Things will change soon.

Old
10-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I just don't understand that Latendresse watch to fail.....People who are hard on him so far are no better than the 110% guys prasing him like he was the only guy doing something good out there.

Do some of you really want Latendresse to lose his time in Drummondville while Brassard won't be there and their team is just an average team this year.

Sure he would need some offensive time to shine but the only player you could cut because of his play is Samsonov and the only player deserving of Samsonov's time is Perez. You want to give some confidence to Lats. Let him play the PP once in a while.

But Lats need to do something though. He needs to keep his presences short. This guy is not the fastest, he won't succeed by being on the ice while he's tired....He has an average of 57 sec. the most amongst forward, that's not the greatest thing to do.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote