HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik Lundqvist; will he stay or go?

Old
06-03-2013, 04:10 PM
stan the caddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Two different things. Maximum applies only to contract length. There is no maximum for the amount per year.
And I'm sure he'll ask for 8 years which might be worse than any cap hit. Cripple us on the tail end.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

While I'm sure the size and length of the contract matter, it seems like having a true chance at winning a Stanley Cup is the most important thing for Lundqvist. He's pretty much won everything else and has earned enough to live beyond well for the rest of his life. With that said, I doubt he'll sign an extention until he has a better feel for what things will be like next season. Naming a coach is the first step, but I'm sure he'll want to see what the makeup of the roster is like and how well they play together.

This is not going to be an easy process and it will likely continue for a while. If Lundqvist is not signed by the middle of next season, it's more about winning than the money on the table.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
And I'm sure he'll ask for 8 years which might be worse than any cap hit. Cripple us on the tail end.
I'm fine with an 8 year deal for Hank. I expect he'll be stellar for most of those years assuming his knees are good.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Needs more quality support like Jeff Taffe and Fedor Fedorov.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 08:37 PM
MGF0723

Lets say that Lundqvist does in fact walk after next season. I'm trying to sift through any decent replacements. Any ideas?

MGF0723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 08:49 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGF0723 View Post
Lets say that Lundqvist does in fact walk after next season. I'm trying to sift through any decent replacements. Any ideas?
Bernier out of LA would be the only legit choice, imo.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 08:54 PM
mike14

Quote:
Bernier is a RFA this year, and there's the possibility that Luongo is bought out.

Next season Halak, Elliot, Crawford, Miller, Hiller are all potential UFAs

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:01 PM
MGF0723

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Bernier is a RFA this year, and there's the possibility that Luongo is bought out.

Next season Halak, Elliot, Crawford, Miller, Hiller are all potential UFAs
I'd try to lock up Crawford or Hiller. I can see the fish making a push for Luongo if he's bought out.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:15 PM
NikC

Rangers need to get a clear commitment of what Lundqvist's plans are.
Even with a coaching change and a new system there's a good chance we're not going to be true contenders next year.

I'm thinking with the Torts firing, management has sent a message for change. Hopefully this is enough to show Lundqvist that changes will be made

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:20 PM
MGF0723

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Even with a coaching change and a new system there's a good chance we're not going to be true contenders next year.

I'm thinking with the Torts firing, management has sent a message for change. Hopefully this is enough to show Lundqvist that changes will be made
Yeah but with his comment, it almost seems like he's looking for instant gratification, like he wants it all next season or he walks. That's just how I'm seeing it.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

What change? The same management that has created each and every team that Lundqvist has ever played with in the NHL? The same general manager who has not won a Stanley Cup since 1990? The same franchise that has won a total of 1 Stanley Cup in 73 years?

And why does Lundqvist need to show all his cards? He's under contract for another year--it's his right to do what he thinks is going to achieve his goals. He doesn't have to tell anyone in the organization what he's going to do.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:30 PM
NikC

Quote:
Yeah but with his comment, it almost seems like he's looking for instant gratification, like he wants it all next season or he walks. That's just how I'm seeing it.
you can't read that much into it. he was down from losing, and put on the spot about a new contract. i'm not surprised he didn't gush about how much he loves it here and wants to stay given the circumstances...

regardless, if he refuses to sign a long term contract, they should trade him and try to recoup some talent. they most likely aren't winning it all next year...

Old
06-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Lundqvist been a member of the Rangers since fall 2005--I don't think the claim that he's looking "instant gratification" is the right way of looking at this situation.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:35 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
What change? The same management that has created each and every team that Lundqvist has ever played with in the NHL? The same general manager who has not won a Stanley Cup since 1990? The same franchise that has won a total of 1 Stanley Cup in 73 years?

And why does Lundqvist need to show all his cards? He's under contract for another year--it's his right to do what he thinks is going to achieve his goals. He doesn't have to tell anyone in the organization what he's going to do.
please save it. don't need to hear the same tired old song. I've lived and died with this team for over 20 years i know the drill.

coaching change means change. change in play style, philosophy, etc.

Lundqvist doesn't have to say anything obviously but i doubt that he will spite management and refuse to discuss extensions.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
you can't read that much into it. he was down from losing, and put on the spot about a new contract. i'm not surprised he didn't gush about how much he loves it here and wants to stay given the circumstances...

regardless, if he refuses to sign a long term contract, they should trade him and try to recoup some talent. they most likely aren't winning it all next year...
I don't think the question is whether the Rangers are going to be the odds on favorite to win the Stanley Cup next year. Rather it's a question of whether it looks like the Rangers will move beyond this cycle of one or two steps forward, then a step (at least) back.

Just look at the turnover in the roster: how many players are still here from the 2009-2010 roster? From the 2010-2011 roster? Look at the turnover this year.

Is this a stable organization that looks like it can solve the holes in its' roster and build on making the Conference finals? That's the big question and how Lundqvist answers it will determine whether he's here for more than one more year.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
please save it. don't need to hear the same tired old song. I've lived and died with this team for over 20 years i know the drill.

coaching change means change. change in play style, philosophy, etc.

Lundqvist doesn't have to say anything obviously but i doubt that he will spite management and refuse to discuss extensions.
You only have 20 years in and you're telling me to keep my thought to myself? See how you feel in another 20 years and then you'll have some idea of how it feels like to me.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:57 PM
NikC

Quote:
You only have 20 years in and you're telling me to keep my thought to myself? See how you feel in another 20 years and then you'll have some idea of how it feels like to me.
the past failures of this franchise have no bearing on Henrik Lundqvist resigning in a year. This is not the same approach employed from the dark ages of 98-04.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
the past failures of this franchise have no bearing on Henrik Lundqvist resigning in a year. This is not the same approach employed from the dark ages of 98-04.
Funny, my grandfather used to say that when Francis was here.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:02 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
I don't think the question is whether the Rangers are going to be the odds on favorite to win the Stanley Cup next year. Rather it's a question of whether it looks like the Rangers will move beyond this cycle of one or two steps forward, then a step (at least) back.

Just look at the turnover in the roster: how many players are still here from the 2009-2010 roster? From the 2010-2011 roster? Look at the turnover this year.

Is this a stable organization that looks like it can solve the holes in its' roster and build on making the Conference finals? That's the big question and how Lundqvist answers it will determine whether he's here for more than one more year.
Not right now. The turning of rosters happens too much. They gotta keep most of the guys they have the same. If they keep up what they're doing with the roster Hank might not like it. That's not to say he will leave either. But till then, the team has to prove to hank that they are competent and can back him up. New coach and new philosophies may do that. They may not.

TCRF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:03 PM
NikC

Quote:

i pointed to a decision to change coaches as a step in the area of change. This will definitely affect the direction of the team and the players they acquire going forward.

They brought in more offense this year. Coach flintstone couldn't handle it...

Old
06-03-2013, 10:04 PM
NikC

Quote:
Funny, my grandfather used to say that when Francis was here.
your grandfather was a good man.... and he would have agreed with me.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
i pointed to a decision to change coaches as a step in the area of change. This will definitely affect the direction of the team and the players they acquire going forward.

They brought in more offense this year. Coach flintstone couldn't handle it...
Chemistry has as much to do with winning as having individually talented players. This organization has a very bad habit of buying players and then trying to get squeeze them into the wrong position. Every single year. Why will next year be any different?

Old
06-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:

Quote:
I'm almost right there with you. The older I get the more my mind set changes. Let's face it players come & go. If Lundqvist does leave it's not gonna be like Messier leaving in 97' or even 04' for me now. Whatever dude, thanks for the memories.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
your grandfather was a good man.... and he would have agreed with me.
Not as long as Sather was here--my grandfather always said that the definition of insanity was having the same people running the show and expecting something different the next time.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:12 PM
NikC

Quote:
Chemistry has as much to do with winning as having individually talented players. This organization has a very bad habit of buying players and then trying to get squeeze them into the wrong position. Every single year. Why will next year be any different?
i agree that the turnover has to stop. sometimes you have to make moves though... you have to do dubinsky and AA for Nash, you just have to... should have kept fedetenko and mitchell, too much change for changes sake. Prust was a key Torts guy, but that's a lot of cash for a 5g scorer...

we still have to make some moves this offseason. we have to improve..