HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part III: Free Agents Suck

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
LetterJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
We have sign FAs that fit. yes they need to do a better job in that department. I see a disturbing double standard in this league concerning hitting/injury. How Matt Cooke still plays in the NHL is beyond me. I didn't think Torres' last hit was suspension worthy, but they continue to make an example of him.

Same with Ovechkin. he throws mcdonagh head first into the boards in game 7... not even a penalty? Lucic? dirty sob, but these guys get passes. NYR have to answer.

I'm not getting into a debate about tough guys fighters. Maybe Parros isn't the right guy, but i want players that can play and also throw hands...
I did not think the Torres hit on Stoll was suspension worthy either, but he did get suspended. As such, Torres comes with LOTS of baggage, and I think that was Trxjw's point.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Zuccarrello for George Parros and a non first round pick???
It was Asham + Zuccarello for Parros + 2nd '13 + 4th '14

You would expect FLA's 1st rounder in exchange for Zuccarello?

Old
06-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

My absolute ideal scenario would be DZ+ for Burmistrov and Trouba

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-MZA
Boyle-Burmistrov-Callahan
Pyatt/Haley/Hrvik/FA Signing (Don't want one, but it's been Sather's MO)-Lindberg-Dorsett

I really like that top-six, and Boyle with Burmistrov allows Boyle to take the FOs for Burmistrov before shifting to the wing, where he strives. Finally a true shutdown third-line with some scoring upside. We'd also have a fourth line with scoring potential. 12 true forwards.

McD-G
Staal-Stralman
Moore-Trouba

Gives us a very balanced defense. Staal and Trouba are both mean, mean men who can hit and hit hard. The year after we will probably add McIlrath, and that can give us one d-man on each pairing that is difficult to play against.

McD-Trouba
Staal-Girardi
Moore-McIlrath

We'd finally have d-men who are competent at moving the puck, and FINALLY one that has a shot that can hit the net and help the PP (Trouba).

Our offensive woes for the past few years aren't really because of lack of firepower from the top-6 forwards. It's been our d-men and our PP. Watching any other team in the NHL you see fluid d-men. They slide across the point. They move. They have offensive talent. Ours seem to simply stay put and either blast the puck around the boards or just try to fire a stationary shot only to get it blocked. Whether that was because of our system or their talent levels is yet to be seen.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The Rangers have plenty of forward who they can double shift to play with Boyle and Nystrom if need be. Boyle will get significant PK time. 3-5 minutes a game. Same with Nystrom who is as good, if not better than Boyle on the PK. That leaves their even strength TOI to about 6-7 minutes a game.

The guy hits hard and is an intimidating force. He knows his role.

Dorsett is the type of player you don't trade. He is the type of player the Rangers need more of.
guys who take stupid penalties can't do anything other than fight?

Old
06-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:

Same with Ovechkin. he throws mcdonagh head first into the boards in game 7... not even a penalty? Lucic? dirty sob, but these guys get passes. NYR have to answer.
I agree.
Parros is not the answer though.
Against Washington, I am pretty sure Torts had the word out, no retaliation, was scared of their PP.
Against Boston, Clowe would have been the answer to Lucic, but he was injured.
You need more size in top 6 and hit back.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
My absolute ideal scenario would be DZ+ for Burmistrov and Trouba

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-MZA
Boyle-Burmistrov-Callahan
Pyatt/Haley/Hrvik/FA Signing (Don't want one, but it's been Sather's MO)-Lindberg-Dorsett

I really like that top-six, and Boyle with Burmistrov allows Boyle to take the FOs for Burmistrov before shifting to the wing, where he strives. Finally a true shutdown third-line with some scoring upside. We'd also have a fourth line with scoring potential. 12 true forwards.

McD-G
Staal-Stralman
Moore-Trouba

Gives us a very balanced defense. Staal and Trouba are both mean, mean men who can hit and hit hard. The year after we will probably add McIlrath, and that can give us one d-man on each pairing that is difficult to play against.

McD-Trouba
Staal-Girardi
Moore-McIlrath

We'd finally have d-men who are competent at moving the puck, and FINALLY one that has a shot that can hit the net and help the PP (Trouba).

Our offensive woes for the past few years aren't really because of lack of firepower from the top-6 forwards. It's been our d-men and our PP. Watching any other team in the NHL you see fluid d-men. They slide across the point. They move. They have offensive talent. Ours seem to simply stay put and either blast the puck around the boards or just try to fire a stationary shot only to get it blocked. Whether that was because of our system or their talent levels is yet to be seen.
Winnipeg won't even give you Trouba for DZ, let alone add Burmi.

Trouba is arguably the best drafted defenseman not in the NHL.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:57 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I agree.
Parros is not the answer though.
Against Washington, I am pretty sure Torts had the word out, no retaliation, was scared of their PP.
Against Boston, Clowe would have been the answer to Lucic, but he was injured.
You need more size in top 6 and hit back.
i'm not sure Parros is the answer either...

Burmistrov was knocking around all our players the last time he played against us. I don't know that much about him, is he that physical always?

Old
06-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally I brought up Parros as a possible player the Rangers could move Asham for. I like Asham, but if he is going to be this team's main enforcer in this division, it's time to bring in someone else. Only 1 more year at less than 1 million. The guy can hit as well.
We don't need an enforcer. We need a guy who can play a regular shift and fight when needed. Pens have Engelland. Isles have Carkner and Martin. Flyers have Hartnell and Simmonds doing their dirty work. Which of these guys is going to stop doing what they do because we have Parros in the lineup? Who is going to square off against a guy that big? All of those guys, at minimum, can play a regular shift.

The days of needing an enforcer are coming to a close. Hell, even Colton Orr can at least keep up with the play.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
i'm not sure Parros is the answer either...

Burmistrov was knocking around all our players the last time he played against us. I don't know that much about him, is he that physical always?
Not only Burmi who was taking liberties but so was Eller of the Canadiens against Hagelin and Stepan and no response

Old
06-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
We don't need an enforcer. We need a guy who can play a regular shift and fight when needed. Pens have Engelland. Isles have Carkner and Martin. Flyers have Hartnell and Simmonds doing their dirty work. Which of these guys is going to stop doing what they do because we have Parros in the lineup? Who is going to square off against a guy that big? All of those guys, at minimum, can play a regular shift.

The days of needing an enforcer are coming to a close. Hell, even Colton Orr can at least keep up with the play.
This. I don't want a younger version of Mike Rupp. I want a guy who can fight and play the physical name. Matt Martin of the Islanders is exactly what I'd want. Go get me someone like him.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

What's the story with Connolly? Why is he being shopped by the Bolts fans?
Would love to get him if the price is right.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Speculation based on the premise of TB drafting Drouin/MacKinnon at #3. Off-chance Stevie goes Russian again and takes Nichuskin. Some Bolts fans think that Connolly would then become expendable for a defender.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:14 PM
LetterJ

Quote:
Definitely something that should be explored. I'm not certain why the Bolts fans have soured on him, but he was drafted SIXTH overall (and one spot in front of Jeff Skinner). He looked like a natural goal scorer when he came out of junior.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
It was Asham + Zuccarello for Parros + 2nd '13 + 4th '14

You would expect FLA's 1st rounder in exchange for Zuccarello?
No I do not expect the 2nd overall pick.

However, I just find it pretty crazy to ship off a young, improving, offensive forward that produced with given ice-time in exchange for picks that will not be ready in a few years.

Instead of Parros, at least have a guy that can play hockey. Someone like Matthias would be better.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:16 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
guys who take stupid penalties can't do anything other than fight?
If that's what you think Dorsett is then there is no point in arguing with you because you don't know him.

Quote:

Asham can barely keep up with the play as well. That was my point. If I am going to carry someone like Asham, then get me someone who actually intimidates.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
No I do not expect the 2nd overall pick.

However, I just find it pretty crazy to ship off a young, improving, offensive forward that produced with given ice-time in exchange for picks that will not be ready in a few years.

Instead of Parros, at least have a guy that can play hockey. Someone like Matthias would be better.
Matthias would be fine. I was thinking of Asham for Parros being equal and MZA for a 2nd + 4th but if you want Matthias, balance it out that way, that's fine.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterJ View Post
Definitely something that should be explored. I'm not certain why the Bolts fans have soured on him, but he was drafted SIXTH overall (and one spot in front of Jeff Skinner). He looked like a natural goal scorer when he came out of junior.
Sure.

Quote:
Speculation based on the premise of TB drafting Drouin/MacKinnon at #3. Off-chance Stevie goes Russian again and takes Nichuskin. Some Bolts fans think that Connolly would then become expendable for a defender.
Ok thanks.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Each year Rangers fans spend May-July pining over the players other teams have drafted. Meanwhile the perennial contenders keep filling in the holes around the core they've built. Chicago loses Bickell to FA and they can replace him with Kyle Beach. Saad, Morin, Clendenning, etc. All players that can fill in around the core.

The Rangers tried to do it in reverse. Build a team of support players while adding in the elite talent via free agency. Clarke admitted that was the strategy. It failed miserably. Yet, almost by accident, the team now has a younger, more talented core than they've had in god knows how long. Time for a new plan that centralizes around guys like Stepan and McDonagh.

If Hank decides he's not staying, does Dolan finally muscle Sather out of the day-to-day ops and let someone else take over?

Old
06-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
If that's what you think Dorsett is then there is no point in arguing with you because you don't know him.

Asham can barely keep up with the play as well. That was my point. If I am going to carry someone like Asham, then get me someone who actually intimidates.
Asham doesn't have the sense of when and where to draw the line.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:24 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Obviously hinging on the buyout of Lecavalier.
I'd give him 2 years, 4m per and give Clowe one year at 3.5

Jones or Nystrom at 2-3 years, 1.5-2m.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derek Stepan ($3.500m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.500m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($1.800m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Mats Zuccarello ($0.735m)
Ryan Jones ($1.750m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Arron Asham ($1.000m) / Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.000m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Dylan McIlrath ($1.295m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,753,333; BONUSES: $1,650,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,196,667

The top 6 is bigger and more skilled with Clowe, and Vinny L and the bottom six is fast and skilled as well.
That is a DEEP team

Old
06-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I disagree. I think Asham played pretty well once he recovered from injury.

People don't intimidate from the bench, and that's where Parros spends 95% of the game. I'd much rather be intimidating because we're a gritty team that's hard to play against, not because we have a huge guy that might punch you if he can catch you.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Each year Rangers fans spend May-July pining over the players other teams have drafted. Meanwhile the perennial contenders keep filling in the holes around the core they've built. Chicago loses Bickell to FA and they can replace him with Kyle Beach. Saad, Morin, Clendenning, etc. All players that can fill in around the core.

The Rangers tried to do it in reverse. Build a team of support players while adding in the elite talent via free agency. Clarke admitted that was the strategy. It failed miserably. Yet, almost by accident, the team now has a younger, more talented core than they've had in god knows how long. Time for a new plan that centralizes around guys like Stepan and McDonagh.

If Hank decides he's not staying, does Dolan finally muscle Sather out of the day-to-day ops and let someone else take over?
Really what this proves is these teams and their fans are more patient than the Rangers fans.
Where else would you see posts about a 22 year old dman with 3 seasons of 37+ points (had 21 this season, but on pace for 37-38), being stupid, has low IQ and cannot progress anymore.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:27 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I disagree. I think Asham played pretty well once he recovered from injury.

People don't intimidate from the bench, and that's where Parros spends 95% of the game. I'd much rather be intimidating because we're a gritty team that's hard to play against, not because we have a huge guy that might punch you if he can catch you.
I agree, but I would like both. Hence why I like Nystrom and would like to re-sign Clowe.

Bordeleau would be fine as a 4th liner. So would Parros if the Rangers could move Asham.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:28 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Really what this proves is these teams and their fans are more patient than the Rangers fans.
Where else would you see posts about a 22 year old dman with 3 seasons of 37+ points (had 21 this season, but on pace for 37-38), being stupid, has low IQ and cannot progress anymore.
Chicago traded Barker. Pittsburgh traded Goligoski.

It's not as if they would just give him away.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:

Clarke, Gorton, Sather, all cut from the same silk.

Closed Thread