HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Thread Part 2: Bark to the Future

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 12:03 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
How many current elite forwards have played in the AHL before the NHL?
Brandon Yip

Old
06-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Persona5

Quote:
I wonder if Pittsburgh was upset when they drafted Malkin, with the Russian factor and all or Ovechkin with Washington? No, because those are elite talents. Radulov had top line talent but wasn't the same level as Malkin, Kovalchuk or Ovechkin. If this guy actually is, it would be a crime to pass on him because of Radulov.
No way is he an elite talent. Just look at the past 20 years of drafts though. How many russian players are top 5 picks that turn out to be busts. Way to many for my taste.

Last edited by Persona5: 06-03-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old
06-03-2013, 12:46 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
No way is he an elite talent. Just look at the past 20 years of drafts though. How many russian players are top 5 picks that turn out to be busts. Way to many for my taste.
Who are you referring to? Svitov? Chistov? Volchkov? That would be it over the past 20 years.

Kovalchuk, Zheredev, Ovechkin, Malkin, Yakupov up front.
Vishnevski, Tverdovsky, and Zyuzin on the back end .... not quite busts there.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Who are you referring to? Svitov? Chistov? Volchkov? That would be it over the past 20 years.

Kovalchuk, Zheredev, Ovechkin, Malkin, Yakupov up front.
Vishnevski, Tverdovsky, and Zyuzin on the back end .... not quite busts there.
Alexei Smirnov maybe - 12th overall in 2000 by the Ducks with only 52GP in the NHL. Once you get past the top five or so in the NHL entry draft, it's kind of tough to call them a bust though.

The only non-hockey factor at play in the Nichushkin decision is a personal experience getting burned. I think Poile and the scouting team is mature enough to evaluate every player on an individual basis. That said, we need a 1C more than we need a winger and your best options there are MacKinnon and Barkov.

MacKinnon will be drafted by the Pants, and I'd bet my VCash we draft Barkov and any public comments indicating that we are considering moving the pick are just posturing in the offchance of a really aggressive offer from another GM.

Things get interesting with the teams right behind us though. If EDM offers #7, 2013 2nd, 2014 1st, do you make that trade and take whichever of Monahan / Lindholm is left? (There was a proposal on the trade forums which was #7 + 2014 1st for our #4 which most NSH fans thought was a bit short) I'd be pretty tempted to do so given EDM's track record of finishing in the bottom third.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

And apparently COL is very interested in Barkov. From the Prospects board:

Quote:
Goran Stubb tweeted that Avs are really interested in Barkov. Called him into their private combine and to a dinner before he left the Toronto. Barkov has stated multiple times that he is Avs fan but doesen't care which team drafts him. It doesen't necessarily mean that he will get drafted #1 overall maybe avs want to know if he is worth to trade down. But Stubb stated that Barkov had his stock up at the interviews.
Stubb is head of CSS Europe. The original Tweet is in Finnish or I'd quote that.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Which of his skills to you not consider elite? His skating, shot, IQ?

Old
06-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 169
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...71/2072/SPORTS

I also read that Colorado has asked Barkov top have a second meeting with them.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Which of his skills to you not consider elite? His skating, shot, IQ?
Skating is such an overrated part of the game now ... I'd much rather have someone who can think the game IQ than someone who can skate like the wind but has zero hockey sense ... Tyler Toffoli comes to mind ... http://ottawa67s.blogspot.com/2010/0...aft-tyler.html ... he even admits it in his pre-draft interview

Old
06-03-2013, 02:18 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post

Interesting to me...

Quote:
Nichushkin, who is from Russia, is considered a wild card in the top five. He has No. 1 pick talent, but there are some questions about his desire to play in North America. He told reporters in Toronto that he wants to play in the NHL, but will not play in the American Hockey League, and will return to Russia and the Kontinental Hockey League if he gets sent to the minors.

It’s the reality of today’s hockey world, the Predators said.

“Ultimately his goal is to play in the NHL, but already being in the KHL it was going to be difficult,” Kealty said. “I think that ultimately the goal of all the top players is to play in the best league in the world. It wasn’t a huge surprise for us.”

Said Fenton: “We have to be flexible and reasonable too knowing that there are other options for these guys to develop until they come and play regularly for us.”
and to me it looks like if we don't trade the pick, we will pick one of these guys..

Quote:
The Predators met with defenseman Seth Jones and forwards Jonathan Drouin, Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov and Valeri Nichushkin — the projected top five picks.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Skating is such an overrated part of the game now ... I'd much rather have someone who can think the game IQ than someone who can skate like the wind but has zero hockey sense ... Tyler Toffoli comes to mind ... http://ottawa67s.blogspot.com/2010/0...aft-tyler.html ... he even admits it in his pre-draft interview
You can have both though. And skating is a fundamental hockey skill, it's never overrated. You have to have other skills too, skating isn't going to carry you if you have no idea what's going on but it's still a huge hockey skill.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Top 6 Spaling

So we didn't meet with Lindholm, Monahan, etc.? Good.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
If that happens there will be crocadile tears here.
welp, we didn't even meet with him ... what you got now ?

Old
06-03-2013, 03:05 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
I wonder if Pittsburgh was upset when they drafted Malkin, with the Russian factor and all or Ovechkin with Washington? No, because those are elite talents. Radulov had top line talent but wasn't the same level as Malkin, Kovalchuk or Ovechkin. If this guy actually is, it would be a crime to pass on him because of Radulov.
"the Russian factor" didnt exist when Malkin was drafted.

since the birth of the KHL "the russian factor" is a legitimate concern.

If someone almost as good is available(ie Drouin, Barkov), then pass on Nich at 4

now if we for some reason trade down to 6 or 7 and he's still on the board, I think you have to take him

Old
06-03-2013, 03:13 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:

Colorado taking Barkov would throw everything into chaos, but would guarantee us one of Mackinnon, Drouin or Jones.

I had never considered him available to us but as badly as I want a center or winger I wouldnt cry if Jones fell to us and we took him. I also wouldnt cry if Jones or Nich is available at 4 and we got an "almost Lindrosian" offer for the pick

If Colorado doesnt take Jones I wonder if Florida would trade back to 4?

or else just have my dream scenario... Colorado takes Barkov, Florida takes Jones, and Tampa takes Nich, leaving us Mackinnon

Last edited by PredsV82: 06-03-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old
06-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Colorado won't take Barkov #1. They will, however, try to trade down if they like Barkov that much.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Colorado won't take Barkov #1. They will, however, try to trade down if they like Barkov that much.
That's what I was thinking. If Colorado has already had two meetings and bought him a dinner and likes what they hear/see then maybe they trade down to four, and we can pick Mac at no.1.

All I know is that the next month is going to be torture until we get to the draft. As long as we pick a top four prospect, I'm cool.

This could be a very interesting top five, with a lot of the teams willing to trade with each other.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
That's what I was thinking. If Colorado has already had two meetings and bought him a dinner and likes what they hear/see then maybe they trade down to four, and we can pick Mac at no.1.
I dont think we get there without Josi, Wilson, or Forsberg. Ellis/Blum won't do it.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:48 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post

All I know is that the next month is going to be torture until we get to the draft. As long as we pick a top four prospect, I'm cool.
the problem of course is how sure can they be that Barkov will be available at 4?
If they think that highly of him so might Florida or Tampa.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
welp, we didn't even meet with him ... what you got now ?
From the looks of what Tampa, Colorado and Florida are saying Barkov will be taken before the 4th pick. Colorado is talking about moving down but not past 3rd pick that was from Roy. Colorado has also asked for another meeting with Barkov. Florida Wants MacK or Jones and Tampa would be happy with any of the four or Nich.

If DP does not make an opffer to Colorado to move up and snag MacK looks like Drouin or Nich will be the guy at 4. If DP is dead set on a center he could trade down a spot or two and take Lindholm or Monahan.

Take some time read the Denver Post, Tampa Bay Times and the Miami Herald. he top spots are unsteady right now and GM's posturing about moving up and down in the top 5. Heck Buffalo wants to trade up to top 5 and are putting Miller and Vanek into the fray.

If DP does not have a couple deals close to being done by draft day to react to what the top three does he should be ran out of town. If he has not met with Lindholm by now it indicates he is not looking to move down or has other plans if Barkov is not there. None of us know the teams he has talked with and possible deals but banking on Barkov at 4 without another plan is not something he will do.

Old
06-03-2013, 04:06 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Cooper mentions the Preds talking to the top five but says nothing either way about who outside of the top five projected picks the team talked to.

Old
06-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
From the looks of what Tampa, Colorado and Florida are saying Barkov will be taken before the 4th pick. Colorado is talking about moving down but not past 3rd pick that was from Roy. Colorado has also asked for another meeting with Barkov. Florida Wants MacK or Jones and Tampa would be happy with any of the four or Nich.

If DP does not make an opffer to Colorado to move up and snag MacK looks like Drouin or Nich will be the guy at 4. If DP is dead set on a center he could trade down a spot or two and take Lindholm or Monahan.

Take some time read the Denver Post, Tampa Bay Times and the Miami Herald. he top spots are unsteady right now and GM's posturing about moving up and down in the top 5. Heck Buffalo wants to trade up to top 5 and are putting Miller and Vanek into the fray.

If DP does not have a couple deals close to being done by draft day to react to what the top three does he should be ran out of town. If he has not met with Lindholm by now it indicates he is not looking to move down or has other plans if Barkov is not there. None of us know the teams he has talked with and possible deals but banking on Barkov at 4 without another plan is not something he will do.
Plan B: Mackinnon. Plan C: Jones. Plan D. Drouin.

We should get one of those players as we are number four, and there are four elite prospects. Simple math. Most of us would be more then okay with any of those players, and that's not taking into account Nich. If we REALLY want a center that badly we can make a deal to whoever and pick up a 2nd, but I'd rather us pick BPA at 4.

4 is too high to be gambling at Lindholm/Monohan/Nich.

Old
06-03-2013, 04:23 PM
oreilly22

Quote:

Aaaah! Colorado and Nashville must be in cohorts to switch picks, so the Preds can move up and take N. Mack!!!!!
Maybe?

Old
06-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Top 6 Spaling

#4+Smith+__ for #1. Please.

Old
06-03-2013, 04:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Take it for what it's worth, but a pretty prominent (ie, not a blogger) member of the media that covers the Predators told me that he's heard that the Preds love Nicushkin, and will likely take him if he's there at 4.

This is contrary to what I heard earlier in regard to Barkov...maybe the combine changed their minds?

Old
06-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Take it for what it's worth, but a pretty prominent (ie, not a blogger) member of the media that covers the Predators told me that he's heard that the Preds love Nicushkin, and will likely take him if he's there at 4.

This is contrary to what I heard earlier in regard to Barkov...maybe the combine changed their minds?
Didn't nuchushkin say he didn't train for the combine because it was a waste of time, or something to that effect? I really hope we don't gamble our first top five pick since '98 on another potential headcase.

Closed Thread