HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Thread Part 2: Bark to the Future

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Didn't nuchushkin say he didn't train for the combine because it was a waste of time, or something to that effect? I really hope we don't gamble our first top five pick since '98 on another potential headcase.
Im pretty sure he said he has nothing left to prove. Someone is going to take a chance on him. Not sure who but Tampa really likes him.

I bet we will not know much until the draft actually starts. And then theres camp and the preseason to see if the kids are going to stick here. So much attention is being put on the draft when the real issue will be whos on the ice in Oct here. The roles of the rookies will not be what many think.

Old
06-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Take it for what it's worth, but a pretty prominent (ie, not a blogger) member of the media that covers the Predators told me that he's heard that the Preds love Nicushkin, and will likely take him if he's there at 4.

This is contrary to what I heard earlier in regard to Barkov...maybe the combine changed their minds?
I trust Poile and the scouting team, so I'm not going to get all up in arms about it, but if Nichushkin doesn't pan out / pulls a KHL AWOL, Poile will likely be done here.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Legionnaire11

I'm just glad that we're only 27 days from this draft playing out. All the speculation can end and we can find out what the future of the Preds will look like!

Old
06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
maplepred

This is so intense with all these rumours and us being in the top five for first time in 15 years!!
I am loving this!

All I care is that poile does not move out of top five. Gets one of Mack, drouin, barkov, nich, or jones. Preferably one of the forwards.

But we do seem to be great partners with Colorado due to chemistry between smith and stastny. Things should be interesting!

We never have picked first overall....

Old
06-03-2013, 07:09 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
This is so intense with all these rumours and us being in the top five for first time in 15 years!!
I am loving this!

All I care is that poile does not move out of top five. Gets one of Mack, drouin, barkov, nich, or jones. Preferably one of the forwards.

But we do seem to be great partners with Colorado due to chemistry between smith and stastny. Things should be interesting!

This draft is really crazy. It just seems like it's crazy deep. As long as we stay in the top 4 or only trade down for a ridiculous overpayment, then I foresee us looking back at this draft as one of the turning points for this franchise.

It's a shame our defense prospect pool appears to have dried up though. If it was still as stacked as it once was, we would have a better shot of moving up without messing up our d-lines. If neither get traded, I just really hope Housley can pull the potential out of Blum and Ellis. Maybe Ekholm will be the answer. He's a big dude. Maybe he will win a spot.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I am loving this!

I sure hope we're not going to be putting much stock into the chemistry of two pretty disappointing players due to their performance at a relatively meaningless tournament. I'm not a hater by any means, but I really don't want any part of Stastny at $6.6M for 45-50 pts, especially 1 year from UFA and having to give up assets of any significance (Barkov or whoever at the #4 included).

Old
06-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I see no problem with Nich nor what is being reported. If we love him, take him.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:38 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I sure hope we're not going to be putting much stock into the chemistry of two pretty disappointing players due to their performance at a relatively meaningless tournament. I'm not a hater by any means, but I really don't want any part of Stastny at $6.6M for 45-50 pts, especially 1 year from UFA and having to give up assets of any significance (Barkov or whoever at the #4 included).
I meant we could send smith to them in a package for first overall pick.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I meant we could send smith to them in a package for first overall pick.
I hate to give up on players too early, but I'd be ok with that.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:09 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I see no problem with Nich nor what is being reported. If we love him, take him.
Fully agree. I'll add that if they move down and take Lindholm, I have no issue with that either. Now if whoever falters then this issue is on Poile.

I just dont have enough information to argue for one player over another.

I will say, Nich looks the most dynamic.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:21 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Fully agree. I'll add that if they move down and take Lindholm, I have no issue with that either. Now if whoever falters then this issue is on Poile.

If you would be happy with Lindholm, then you would have to be happy with monahan as well I feel. So now you could move down to as low as seventh and be guaranteed one still.

But I think leaving this draft with someone not currently rated in the top five is a fail. Unless some awesome trade happens, but it would have to be pretty damn awesome. This top five are all future franchise players possibly.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

If that is in regards to dropping out of the top 5, fair enough.

Otherwise, as long as we take one of the consensus top 5 guys, I don't see how Poile can get the blame if he's unlucky enough to pick the wrong one (except for maybe Nicushkin, in the unlikely event there is a KHL problem). Even highly touted prospects are too much of an unknown.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:09 PM
hockey diva

I can't see Nichuskin working out in a system that emphasizes defense like Trotz's. Not to mention all the crap rookies get from him, versus the vets who seem to get a free pass. And finally, I doubt Nichuskin views Nashville as a prime location. We aren't big or bright enough for the likes of him. I'd rather have Sasha Barkov.

Old
06-04-2013, 11:31 AM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I can't see Nichuskin working out in a system that emphasizes defense like Trotz's. Not to mention all the crap rookies get from him, versus the vets who seem to get a free pass. And finally, I doubt Nichuskin views Nashville as a prime location. We aren't big or bright enough for the likes of him. I'd rather have Sasha Barkov.
I tend to agree. Barkov seems like he would be the perfect fit for this team.

Old
06-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Jubal

I'm just a bit worried now with this whole Colorado liking Barkov deal. I'd love to have either Barkov, Mackinnon, or Drouin. It seems like best case scenario is either of them. Anything else and I may be a bit nervous.

Don't get me wrong, Nich is a great player. But his attitude towards the minors and the combine worry me a bit.

Old
06-04-2013, 11:43 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I'm just a bit worried now with this whole Colorado liking Barkov deal. I'd love to have either Barkov, Mackinnon, or Drouin. It seems like best case scenario is either of them. Anything else and I may be a bit nervous.

Don't get me wrong, Nich is a great player. But his attitude towards the minors and the combine worry me a bit.
Seth Jones will go top 2 IMO and so one of those 3 should be available. If they are the top 3 picks then i'd be quite comfortable with Jones despite our need for offensive scoring.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
This was part of the reason Radulov bolted was the defense first attitude of Trotz. There is a real possibility Nichuskin will bolt for the KHL as soon as his name is called by Fenton. Why waste your top 5 pick on someone that may never see the light of day in your jersey??? Unless Polie is 150% sure he will sign and stay here long term he better not call his name. If Poile does draft him and Nichuskin stays in the KHL honestly Poile should be fired ASAP. Nichuskin's conditions of not playing in the AHL scare me.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Legionnaire11

I think some writers are trying to create a bit of drama and keep readers interested. I don't see a lot of trades going on in the top 5, or players slipping. It will most likely go along the same lines we've been reading for the past month or so... Jones, Mac, Drouin, Barkov... but everyone likes to read/write all of the what-if scenarios to keep from getting bored. Happens every season.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Legionnaire11

Here's a thread on HF boards...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1440873

I don't really know how well it reflects the draft ability of teams/GM's. But it is interesting to me anyway as a conversation starter. It displays the "Draft Success" of teams by number of games their draft picks between 04-08 have played in the NHL. That is a 5 year window starting with players about to hit UFA.

Preds ranked 19th...

Old
06-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Here's a thread on HF boards...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1440873

I don't really know how well it reflects the draft ability of teams/GM's. But it is interesting to me anyway as a conversation starter. It displays the "Draft Success" of teams by number of games their draft picks between 04-08 have played in the NHL. That is a 5 year window starting with players about to hit UFA.

Preds ranked 19th...
Two of the teams remaining in the cup finals are below the Preds. I wouldn't take all that much from those numbers.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Two of the teams remaining in the cup finals are below the Preds. I wouldn't take all that much from those numbers.
they're also teams routinely near the top of the payroll. You either have to be able to draft well or fix your foibles wisely in free agency. If you do neither, you're going to struggle to get over the hump.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Ouch that hurts, let’s see who we’ve drafted since then and where they were drafted.
Poile has said that you really need 3 players from each draft to make it. I’ll list each first rounder, then any other pick that made the NHL

2004 – 1st Radulov, Rinne
2005 –1st Parent(bust), Franson, Hornqvist
2006 – 1st traded no current NHL players our worst draft ever, you can’t have many years like this and survive, truly awful drafting.
2007 – 1st Jon Blum, Nick Spaling not too much better
2008 – 1st Colin Wilson 1st Chet Pickard, Roman Josi, Anders Lindback

So yeah, in those 5 draft years we have Jon Blum and Colin Wilson to show for our 5 1st round picks, that is truly horribad. 2006 and 2007 are inexcuseable.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:08 PM
maplepred

With nichushkins ahl and combine comments, I wonder if he slips out of top ten?!

If he did, I would be all over him then, but I truly don't see it happening, I imagine he goes 5-8 overall.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:16 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I have no issue with his comments, again, it would be like a college player being asked to go to high school to develop his pro game.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:30 PM
thomast

Janne Kekäläinen who is brother of Jarmo Kekäläinen the GM of the blue jackets works as scout for the preds. Janne Kekäläinen is one of the management guy for Tappara aswell which is the club that Barkov plays for. Button thinks that Barkov is actually best fit for the preds in entire draft. When all are almost equal he thinks that Barkov fits better on Nashville.

http://smashville247.net/index.php/2...-best-fit.html

It looks more and more that Barkov is predator. Unless some in the top 3 teams loves him as much.

Last edited by thomast: 06-04-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Closed Thread