HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alexei Emelin

Old
05-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Dekar

vCash: 500
I like Emelin and all, but all I remember from the GDTs this season were complaints about him and Markov, and no one ever mentioned wanting to give him PP or PK time either. Then all of a sudden, we go on a losing streak and people immediately claim that losing him was the reason when I expected no one to care THAT much.

A lot of flip-flopping going on, methinks. That or people needed a reason for why we started sucking so suddenly and tacked it onto his loss when there's no evidence for it. He wasn't playing well enough to be the reason or even part of the reason for our streak of suck. I'm not saying he was playing badly, but he was having a B-/C+ season and it's being talked about like he was scoring an A-

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
I like Emelin and all, but all I remember from the GDTs this season were complaints about him and Markov, and no one ever mentioned wanting to give him PP or PK time either. Then all of a sudden, we go on a losing streak and people immediately claim that losing him was the reason when I expected no one to care THAT much.

A lot of flip-flopping going on, methinks. That or people needed a reason for why we started sucking so suddenly and tacked it onto his loss when there's no evidence for it. He wasn't playing well enough to be the reason or even part of the reason for our streak of suck. I'm not saying he was playing badly, but he was having a B-/C+ season and it's being talked about like he was scoring an A-
Well either you have a very selective memory or you weren't around in most GDT because I remember pretty much every single game as soon as Gorges and Bouillon hit the ice for second PP unit, a bunch of us were very irate and puzzled as to why Emelin din't get any PP time.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:54 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Well either you have a very selective memory or you weren't around in most GDT because I remember pretty much every single game as soon as Gorges and Bouillon hit the ice for second PP unit, a bunch of us were very irate and puzzled as to why Emelin din't get any PP time.
I agree. Me I like Emelin and see a PP(shooter type) of role in the future. He's not gona be a 40+pts defender but in the high 20s maybe 30.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Belov isn't good defensively, Emelin is. They aren't really comparable players. I think the comparison is more eluding to a Russian dman coming over in his mid-late 20's and likely being able to step right into the lineup.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Uber Coca

Big hitter, honest worker, underrated offensive instinct, average hockey sense and isn't afraid of anyone.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Ditto. If you think no one complained about no Emelin on the PP, you simply never entered a GDT on this board.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Lebowski

Emelin has been average defensively since coming over. Yes, he's a great hitter, but he's nothing special in his own zone. On the other hand, I feel like his offensive potential is underrated and under-utilized. I think he would do fairly well on the PP if given the chance.

I'm satisfied with his contribution. I think he should solidify himself as a decent n.4 defenseman in the next 2 seasons, but let's not pretend he's anywhere close to the standard Gorges or Subban in his own zone.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

I thought he played smarter this season which is quite normal since it was his 2nd season but I want him seperated from Markov. Emelin started playing bad the second Markov started showing signs of slowing down. Having him on his natural side will also help him be more of a threat on those open ice hits. As for his offensive game, he's shown some flashes this season of what he can do but I don't think his vision/hockey sense is good enough to be a consistent contributor in that aspect.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Guilliam

Emelin does occasionnally puts himself out of position. I remember once he let the front of the net completely open to go in the same corner where Markov already was.

That being said, most of the time he is alright is own zone and is better than anything we have (maybe short of Subban) in front of the net. He manages to keep the guys to the outside when the opposing forwards crash the net instead of just laying down on the ice and quite often on the PK he intercepts that "back-door" pass that Gorges usually doesn't see coming.

Plus, he annoys the hell out of the opposing forwards so he attracts a lot of attention which is why I think he's an ideal partner to a smaller/weaker defenseman.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:33 PM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I like Emelin.. but he wasn't THAT good.

Him and Markov had a lot of difficulties in their defensive game late in the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Then your understanding of the game and mine are completely different. Emelin was a key contributor on our defense and probably our second most effective defenseman after Subban.
I agree with the latter post, Emelin was a pillar of our blue line. His presence was game changing for the best.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Ditto. If you think no one complained about no Emelin on the PP, you simply never entered a GDT on this board.
He should at least been tried on the second wave on a good 5 games strecht, I mean he was doing a good job, was contributing on offense at some point on even strenght.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 05:46 AM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
to me he was one of the best player on the habs this year, his offensive skills are underrated, the only problem with emelin is that he cannot defend himself because of a metal plate in has in his face

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 02:07 PM
JPGoHabsGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I thought he played smarter this season which is quite normal since it was his 2nd season but I want him seperated from Markov. Emelin started playing bad the second Markov started showing signs of slowing down. Having him on his natural side will also help him be more of a threat on those open ice hits. As for his offensive game, he's shown some flashes this season of what he can do but I don't think his vision/hockey sense is good enough to be a consistent contributor in that aspect.
Agreed, Im interested to see if he will become an even more polished NHL defender next year, or if this is the Emelin we are going to get.

I personally am just glad he came over.

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I'm interested to see what the plan for him will be, since he'll be a UFA next summer, wondering what kind of contract he would get mostly in terms of length as he'll only be 28 then. But for the Habs, really, really wish they would put him at LD, break up the Markov-Emelin pairing!

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Craig71

I like what Emelin gives us on a physical level, heck i'd rather have two more Emelin type D men to replace some of the guys we have.

Markov Emelin
Subban Emelin
Gorges Emelin
Tinordi

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
I agree with the latter post, Emelin was a pillar of our blue line. His presence was game changing for the best.
100% yes. I watched Emelin make a huge leap from erratic, hard-hitting 2012 to smarter, better-positioned 2013. He was much more confident with the puck this year and was better at dismantling an oncoming rush. Instead of going for the default big-hit, he out-muscled, out-played and got control. Yes, he got caught out of position every now and then, but his learning curve is really good. We need more of this.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:10 PM
TT1

extremely solid 3rd/4th d. skates well, distributes the puck well, big hitter, has good puck control and he has good defencive presence. hes basically like komisarek but with 100x more skill and upside

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:27 PM
RyanBostonRedsox

Emelin is a solid top-4 guy who hits anything that moves. He very rarely makes a defensive mistake, and like someone said, his offensive game is very underrated. I'm actually surprised he didn't get more consideration on the second power play unit. Gorges and Bouillon were awful there. Helen Keller could conduct a Powerplay better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I like Emelin.. but he wasn't THAT good.

Him and Markov had a lot of difficulties in their defensive game late in the season.

RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:28 PM
RyanBostonRedsox

So in other words, he's nothing like Komisarek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
extremely solid 3rd/4th d. skates well, distributes the puck well, big hitter, has good puck control and he has good defencive presence. hes basically like komisarek but with 100x more skill and upside

RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:30 PM
TT1

yea i just wanted to get a komisarek jab in : D

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
I don't think it was a coincidence that the team's form dropped right after Emelin got injured.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 12:49 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
Once healthy he should:
1)Be on the left side of a pairing
He hits better on that side, it's his natural side, and he would be the ideal partner for Subban, because he is strong, physical, and is very mobile. MB should go out and find a physical guy for Markov, and let Emelin play on the top pairing, he can handle it (especially if he's with Subban)

2)Play on the PP
He should be with Diaz on the second wave. He has so much untapped offensive ability; He's a good passer, skater, and has an accurate point shot which would do wonders for tips and rebounds. It's not like they'll play much anyway with Subban-Markov having the majority of PP time. He has to be better than Gorges or Boullion.

I really like what Emelin brings for us but I think he'd be even more effective if he wasn't the only guy to play the way he does. Adding tinordi helps, but if MB can find another mean Dman, the load will be taken off of him a bit and I think he'd thrive with support.
Been saying all of this, especially hammering home the PP part for the last 2 years, but nobody has agreed. It's the beloved Markov that screwed the pooch all year long on defense, not Emelin. Anyways, hopefully he recovers well and gets to play his position next year. He's deserving of it.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 22s
Bergevin said #Habs D Alexei Emelin is still on schedule for a December-ish return from knee surgery. He is rehabbing in Montreal

Early reports were saying November, now December.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 22s
Bergevin said #Habs D Alexei Emelin is still on schedule for a December-ish return from knee surgery. He is rehabbing in Montreal

Early reports were saying November, now December.
Two months without him, crap. I don't like this.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
I don't think it was a coincidence that the team's form dropped right after Emelin got injured.
I have to agree. Otherwise it's a hell of a coincidence

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote