HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXI - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2013, 09:37 PM
  #51
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
'Cause karma doesn't exist. Firing Julien as I mentioned since they've hired him would have been their greatest mistake. This was probably the only way Boston wouldn't become a great force in this league. Now, they'll wake up and give him a 10-year extension. Perfect coach for them. And surely perfect coach for us too but Gainey was too busy thinking he was soooooo much better.
Also got fired in NJ, let's not forget.
It kinda helps when you have his roster too. There's one thing you'll notice about all the great coaches, they always get praised when they have great teams. I do agree he's a perfect fit there. They've really established their identity as a whole.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:38 PM
  #52
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well it depends. Wings were a force in this league for how many years now? Chicago should be great for quite some years now. So why wouldn't Boston be the new Detroit? .
Of course, I did not say they would fall, but that even things that look like a sure thing can turn sour quickly. And it happens year after year. Hence the operative word 'can' in my post not 'will'.

andy28 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:40 PM
  #53
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Also got fired in NJ, let's not forget.
It kinda helps when you have his roster too. There's one thing you'll notice about all the great coaches, they always get praised when they have great teams. I do agree he's a perfect fit there. They've really established their identity as a whole.
But wait a minute. I keep reading here that they did NOT have a great team? That it was only Chara and Bergeron and that's it. And seriously, they are not packed with great natural talent. But the team concept is so implemented that when it works, it indeed works.

Was fired in NJ but how justified was that anyway? Where's Jersey since then? Both firings were totally unjustified. Just like firing him if they would have lost against us or Toronto would have been as well.

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:43 PM
  #54
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
The Penguins look sooo lifeless.

What assets did they give up again for these guys?

Iginla
Morrow
Murray
Jokinen

?????

A waste of assets, that's what.

Shero... GM of the year?
For Iginla was a 1st and 2 meh prospects.
Morrow for Joe Morrow
Murray was a 2nd and a 3rd I believe.
Jokinen was a conditional pick.

So,

To Pittsburgh:
Jarome Iginla
Jussi Jokinen
Brendan Morrow
Douglas Murray

Out from Pittsburgh:
2 NCAA prospects
1st round pick
2nd round pick
3rd round pick (one of these are next year I believe)
Joe Morrow
Conditional 7th round pick.

I think that's it.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:44 PM
  #55
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 14,913
vCash: 500
Lol Iginla

Almost ended up in Boston

McSorleyStick is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:44 PM
  #56
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,527
vCash: 500
Murray's pick next year is conditional on him signing with the Pens.

Dont see that happening.....

Oh, and **** the Leafs. They had Boston beat.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:45 PM
  #57
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Was fired in NJ but how justified was that anyway? Where's Jersey since then? Both firings were totally unjustified. Just like firing him if they would have lost against us or Toronto would have been as well.
I ran into a high school teacher who was a Bruins fan. He mentioned this today. I don't know though. Maybe a mistake but no point in worrying about a mistake we made in 2006. Gotta move on.

andy28 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:45 PM
  #58
Habs_Apostle
Registered User
 
Habs_Apostle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Of course it is. I mean, it's not like the Bruins came out in the third with this mission on. The Leafs scored two goals early in the third to make it 4-1. The Bruins scored one goal midway through the third, and then scored 2 more with less than 1:30 left in the game.
But hey, that only tied the game. They also finished it by scoring in OT.
If you think no luck was involved there, then you my friend are quite naive.
Sometimes teams can outperform the other for a playoff series and still lose, fast.
Boston was down two goals with 1:30 minute left. They needed everything to go their way in order to win that game.

But it's clear you don't pay attention to the lucky bounces as much as I do. I tend to focus a lot on them during games.
To win the lotto you need to be incredibly lucky. But if you never buy a ticket, you will never win. Similarly, Boston needed a little luck to score those goals, sure. But they put themselves in a position for those goals to be scored: through hard work they created chances whereby the puck just might bounce their way - and it did. This is what people mean when they say you create your own luck. Boston did just that, and deserve credit.

Habs_Apostle is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:45 PM
  #59
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Also got fired in NJ, let's not forget.
It kinda helps when you have his roster too. There's one thing you'll notice about all the great coaches, they always get praised when they have great teams. I do agree he's a perfect fit there. They've really established their identity as a whole.
Julien has to get ALOT of credit for having raised that franchise to the level they are right now..

NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:47 PM
  #60
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
You create your own luck. A lucky bounce here and there does not mean you're lucky.
If the bounces are evenly split up or somewhat close, then you might have a point. But when every thing seems to go your way, then yes, you can say that luck did play its part. It doesn't mean that they wouldn't have won otherwise, just that it would have been a different game, but possibly with the same result.

That ''create your own luck'' is just a saying. There's nothing created by Marchand in Crosby's mishandling of the puck at the point. Did he do anything to make that puck bounce?? Nope. It was a saucer pass that bounced of the ice, all Marchand did was a the rountine ''winger rush point man'' play that happens about a million time in a game. Rushing a point man to the point of forcing him to mishandle the puck is a solid play, but the odd bouncing of the puck isn't orchestrated.
Same with Rask allowing a juicy rebound right on Iginla's blade but the puck hopped over. Nothing created there.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:48 PM
  #61
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I hate both teams. But I like Bruins mix. Think Julien is a world class coach who though is way too much involved emotionnally when he plays the Habs. Clearly hates them to death. Should have never be fired but that's another story. And think Chiarelli is one of the best in the biz.
Boston is showing the NHL how to run an organization.

Great GM, great coach, Campbell's son on the roster. They have it all.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:48 PM
  #62
Habs_Apostle
Registered User
 
Habs_Apostle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Julien has to get ALOT of credit for having raised that franchise to the level they are right now..
He's a great coach, no denying it. I agree, if he wasn't there, I don't think Boston has the same success.

Habs_Apostle is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:50 PM
  #63
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If the bounces are evenly split up or somewhat close, then you might have a point. But when every thing seems to go your way, then yes, you can say that luck did play its part. It doesn't mean that they wouldn't have won otherwise, just that it would have been a different game, but possibly with the same result.

That ''create your own luck'' is just a saying. There's nothing created by Marchand in Crosby's mishandling of the puck at the point. Did he do anything to make that puck bounce?? Nope. It was a saucer pass that bounced of the ice, all Marchand did was a the rountine ''winger rush point man'' play that happens about a million time in a game. Rushing a point man to the point of forcing him to mishandle the puck is a solid play, but the odd bouncing of the puck isn't orchestrated.
Same with Rask allowing a juicy rebound right on Iginla's blade but the puck hopped over. Nothing created there.
No luck in the first two games. Luck is an excuse and can account for a play or two. Not an entire game.

Bruins are out-hustling and out-playing the Pens. Their forecheck is the best that I have seen since the last time the Bruins won the Cup.

The Bruins have bought into the system of Julien. Not a single floater on the ice.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:52 PM
  #64
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Boston is showing the NHL how to run an organization.

Great GM, great coach, Campbell's son on the roster. They have it all.
Don't forget cam Neely the hab killer

habdynasty is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:52 PM
  #65
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Everyone who was clamoring for MB to give up young assets and draft choices to get players like Iginla, Morrow and Murray should note where the Penguins are now. While it is great to speculate how late season additions might be able to improve the team, the fact is that it only pays off for one of them. For the rest, they can agonize about giving up depth and falling short.

I was happy that we didn't mortgage the farm to make a longshot run this year

HCH is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:53 PM
  #66
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_Apostle View Post
To win the lotto you need to be incredibly lucky. But if you never buy a ticket, you will never win. Similarly, Boston needed a little luck to score those goals, sure. But they put themselves in a position for those goals to be scored: through hard work they created chances whereby the puck just might bounce their way - and it did. This is what people mean when they say you create your own luck. Boston did just that, and deserve credit.
Well then on that note nobody is actually lucky..
You can put yourself in a position to be lucky all the time, it doesn't mean you'll actually be lucky. That's my point.

For some reason there seems to be this belief that if you work hard and are the better team then it has nothing to do with luck.
Bruins got lucky bounces, you can attribute to whatever you want really, they still got lucky bounces while Pittsburgh were tripping over their sticks and bumping into their own players.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:53 PM
  #67
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 500
I will still,take the hawks, the look unreal.

habdynasty is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:56 PM
  #68
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
No luck in the first two games. Luck is an excuse and can account for a play or two. Not an entire game.

Bruins are out-hustling and out-playing the Pens. Their forecheck is the best that I have seen since the last time the Bruins won the Cup.

The Bruins have bought into the system of Julien. Not a single floater on the ice.
Luck is not an excuse.
You can play hard, dominate your opponent, win and still get the lucky bounces. Even if the Bruins didn't get lucky bounces and had to work harder at getting their goals, they would have won unless the Pens decided to get head out of their ***** and play.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:56 PM
  #69
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
I will still,take the hawks, the look unreal.
Bruins might beat Pittsburgh in 4, and Rask might not even have to work that hard. Against Chicago, it's him against Crawford. So even imagine that the Hawks will give them their hardest opponent...only thing Boston needs is a GREAT Rask and that's clearly possible. But then, they'll shoot on Crawford.....A Boston win is CLEARLY possible. Was my call at the beginning of the playoffs anyway. Geez, I hope that I would have been wrong....Never hate the Leafs more than I do now.

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:58 PM
  #70
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Bruins might beat Pittsburgh in 4, and Rask might not even have to work that hard. Against Chicago, it's him against Crawford. So even imagine that the Hawks will give them their hardest opponent...only thing Boston needs is a GREAT Rask and that's clearly possible. But then, they'll shoot on Crawford.....A Boston win is CLEARLY possible. Was my call at the beginning of the playoffs anyway. Geez, I hope that I would have been wrong....Never hate the Leafs more than I do now.
The hawks are making the great quick look like **** , they can do the same to rask.

habdynasty is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:00 PM
  #71
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But wait a minute. I keep reading here that they did NOT have a great team? That it was only Chara and Bergeron and that's it. And seriously, they are not packed with great natural talent. But the team concept is so implemented that when it works, it indeed works.

Was fired in NJ but how justified was that anyway? Where's Jersey since then? Both firings were totally unjustified. Just like firing him if they would have lost against us or Toronto would have been as well.
Well that might have to do with the fact they're our nemesis?..
It's a rivalry WS, you shouldn't be surprised that people here just don't want to give them proper credit.
Another reason might be that most people have been saying that we've been a mediocre team forever but yet we seem to always match well versus the Bruins. I always believe in our chances when we face the Bruins.

As for Jersey, I don't think it was justified at all. Just saying he also got fired there..

Kriss E is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:02 PM
  #72
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
The hawks are making the great quick look like **** , they can do the same to rask.
LA is badly hurt and do not have the system the Bruins has. Quick didn't look bad in game 1.

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:03 PM
  #73
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
LA is badly hurt and do not have the system the Bruins has. Quick didn't look bad in game 1.
Hawks all the way, Cheers

habdynasty is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:04 PM
  #74
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Hawks all the way, Cheers
Let's hope so....but that's not what I think unfortunately.

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:05 PM
  #75
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Another reason might be that most people have been saying that we've been a mediocre team forever but yet we seem to always match well versus the Bruins. I always believe in our chances when we face the Bruins.
This is a good point. I think for all our weaknesses we do seem to play them well. Even in our tank season, all our games were tight. For all the things we do wrong, we seem to play the Bruins well. And other teams should be looking at that. How did a team that finished last in the east manage to take the Bruins to 7 games the year before. I am one of the guys here who would love to have a more physical team, but I will concede it's not necessarily the recipe for the beating the Bruins.

I do think matchups play a big part.

andy28 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.