HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Yankee playoff thread

Old
10-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
What a GD MF'n debacle that was.

I honestly feel sorry for Rivera, Jeter, Posada and Abreu... they had to be a part of that mess.

Cya later, ARod, Sheff, RJ...

Should've played Craig Wilson at first, and Melky since game 1.

Not sure how I feel about Matsui... I like the guy, but, he IS getting older...

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 03:44 AM
Edge

And now as of early morning, it looks as if Torre is done as Yankees Manager.

Knew this was coming:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2617224

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 04:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

honestly, im not surprised, and i actually support this move.

im a HUGE torre supporter, but the team was too complacent, and stoic. there was no energy, and that comes from the manager. you gotta fire your guys up, he didnt do that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 04:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

heres an image of the paper

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_...08bigfront.jpg

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 04:28 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
And now as of early morning, it looks as if Torre is done as Yankees Manager.

Knew this was coming:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2617224
Too bad this couldn't have happened a year earlier...We could have promoted Willie. What a great manager he is, especially for that Mets team.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 04:35 AM
Edge

Like any ceo or person in a position of managing, different personalities for different teams.

What worked for the Yankees of the 90's might not work for the team now.

Though I do have to say one thing, Pinella (especially for a guy like ARod) could be a good fit.

Old
10-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Like any ceo or person in a position of managing, different personalities for different teams.

What worked for the Yankees of the 90's might not work for the team now.

Though I do have to say one thing, Pinella (especially for a guy like ARod) could be a good fit.
I have a hard time believing a manager is gonna change the way A-Rod reacts under the pressure cooker that is New York.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 08:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Everyone needs to take some blame. Joe does. Cashman does. The Yankees have gotten away from what made them successful in the late 90s.

People rave about how good a GM Cashman is: well, he's going to have to show it this offseason. He's got a hard job to do. That is, of course, assuming he keeps his job.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 10-08-2006 at 08:36 AM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 09:22 AM
vinnyBOOMbats*

i rather go with JOE GIRARDI.. he knows our core guys .,plus he has that fire torre never has.

guess whos the happiest 2 men in baseball that the yanks lost ? BARRY ZITO & SCOTT BOR-*** some1 say 6 years for 96 million ...

vinnyBOOMbats* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 09:45 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
A-rod is the Joe Thornton of baseball.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 09:55 AM
NYRchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyBOOMbats View Post
i rather go with JOE GIRARDI.. he knows our core guys .,plus he has that fire torre never has.

guess whos the happiest 2 men in baseball that the yanks lost ? BARRY ZITO & SCOTT BOR-*** some1 say 6 years for 96 million ...

Sorry dude,but Barry Zito is coming to the Mets,especially with their pitching woes. Why? Two words: Rick Peterson.Omar will NOT be outbid on this one,unless he has other things up his sleeve,which wouldn't surprise me,either.Z-man in orange and blue!

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 10:08 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Too bad this couldn't have happened a year earlier...We could have promoted Willie. What a great manager he is, especially for that Mets team.
Willie was hired by the Mets two years ago.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 10:35 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I highly doubt the Torre rumors. My guess is the paper got some off the record comments within hours of the defeat and cooler heads will prevail down the road, especially as George is in the early stages of Alzheimer's and doesn't have nearly the active role that he once did (according to personal sources).

The problem isn't Torre, but rather that the team isn't built right for Torre (or any other manager, in my opinion) - they got a little too caught up in the Yankee methodology of the past (i.e. too many high-priced veterans past their best years and not enough young blood working its way in). The guys who need to go are Sheff (and his attitude), RJ (and HIS attitude), Giambi (I like the guy, but I had a sense that something about the team's persona had changed the moment we signed him - and the results sure seem to point that way) and the assortment of mediocre, aged pitchers (Lidle, Wright, Villone, Myers, etc.). Frankly, I'm not a big fan of Damon on this team either (although he was productive) - if you can find someone to take his contract, I'd trade him as well and give center to Melky.

ARod... I'm on the fence about. I wonder if he'll ever be able to recover, but I can see him becoming an absolute Yankee killer if he goes anywhere else. He probably does need to go, but if he gets traded, send him to the National League, please - eat some of his contract (which actually isn't that bad these days) and send him to the Dodgers or Giants for a bevy of prospects.

I say keep Mussina and see if he can turn into a David Cone/Jimmy Key for us. His attitude also needs to change a bit (you get the sense that he's a bit of a loner and still sees himself as the best pitcher on the team), but he's a sharp guy and I think he can figure it out if he takes a long look in the mirror.

I also want Abreu back. Good, quiet team player that plays the way Torre likes (and, unlike Damon, Sheff, Gimabi, plays well on both defense and at the plate). Exercise the option.

Next year call up Hughes and Clippard and give them every chance to start at the end of the rotation.

Lineup:

Damon (since he's probably not going anywhere)
Jeter
Abreu
Matsui
Cano
Posada
Cabrera
plus a 1B and 3B - which shouldn't be that hard to find with the players you'd be trading away/free agents.

Pitching:
Wang
Mussina
Zito (if you can get him)
Hughes
Clippard
With Pavano and some other back of the rotation guys waiting in the wings if the bottom three don't work out.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 10-08-2006 at 10:47 AM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 10:41 AM
NYRchick

Bill Madden was on the radio here this morning,and he said he talked to Steinbrenner yesterday,and he was none too pleased,to say the least.He expects Torre to be fired this week,and Piniella to take over,basically cause in his opinion,they need someone in there to kick some butt.

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 12:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bill Madden and Lou Piniella are likethis

Torre isn't the problem but they have so many players tied up to rich guaranteed contracts which are unmovable,it's easier to fire and hire a new manager than trade some of their players

Hughes and Clippard are double A pitchers.No need to rush them

Abreu is a signed player for 2007.The team option is for 2008 with a $2 million buyout

Damon and Matsui have NTC's.So does Abreu and Giambi.Plus AROD who needs to be traded for his own sanity.Maybe Lou who is close to Alex can get him to relax more in this environment.AROD is a soap opera and a distraction

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 12:24 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Bill Madden and Lou Piniella are likethis

Torre isn't the problem but they have so many players tied up to rich guaranteed contracts which are unmovable,it's easier to fire and hire a new manager than trade some of their players

Hughes and Clippard are double A pitchers.No need to rush them

Abreu is a signed player for 2007.The team option is for 2008 with a $2 million buyout

Damon and Matsui have NTC's.So does Abreu and Giambi.Plus AROD who needs to be traded for his own sanity.Maybe Lou who is close to Alex can get him to relax more in this environment.AROD is a soap opera and a distraction
The jump from AA to the majors has been done many, many times over the last decade or so and you see it frequently with the more talented phenoms. The team needs the fresh blood and the youth (not to mention the arms). AAA in many cases has become more for career minor leaguers and borderline guys trying to eek out that last 5-10% of performance necessary to take the final step. Hughes at the very least has earned every opportunity to pitch in the show.

I hear you on the no-trades and I don't think Matsui, Abreu or Damon will leave (based on my projected lineup). But don't you think both ARod and Giambi wouldn't mind playing elsewhere?

If they are going to replace Joe, I'd much rather see Girardi than Piniella. Lou strikes me as the managerial equivalent of Gary Sheffield.

Old
10-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I love Joe Torre, but he's lost his magic and eleven years just might be enough. We need young pitching and not an allstar at every position. Go Mets, but I believe Detroit just might win it all.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Fletch

BR Fan...

you didn't have Johnson in your rotation.

While pitching seemed to have done in the Yanks, the bats went silent. The lineup seemed better with Williams and Cabrera in it for some reason. Oh well. This will be a looong offseason for these guys.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Fletch

BrooklynDevil...

I think on general principle, I'd rather see someone like Cashman go before Torre. He may've lost his magic but the arms he was given are getting old. Moose wasn't bad, but he wasn't on either (signing him presents an interesting dilemma - he didn't have many great starts after July, but for the right price, he may be the right guy, but this team may need a #1/#2 starter. Johnson wasn't very good, and he's searched for a fourth starter all season long.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 02:29 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
you didn't have Johnson in your rotation.

While pitching seemed to have done in the Yanks, the bats went silent. The lineup seemed better with Williams and Cabrera in it for some reason. Oh well. This will be a looong offseason for these guys.
Correct on RJ. I don't want him here either. Never did. Although I don't know how hard it would be to trade his contract.

Definitely want Cabrera in the lineup nightly. Bernie suits me just fine off the bench getting 150-200 ABs

Old
10-09-2006, 12:29 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Extra point is good; time to turn on Fox Soccer Channel until the Rangers start.
Too bad all of the Euro football leagues are on break for pointless internationals. And no Rangers for a few days. What an awful time to be a Yankee fan. No where to bury our heads (unless you like the NFL, which I don't).

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 01:15 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

I think it is time for Joe Torre to go but I'll say this...It's a damn shame the way the Yankees have made him the scape goat. You don't do this to a guy that won 4 World Series 6 AL Championships and 9 AL East titles. There is a right and wrong way to do things and the right thing to do would be to let Torre leave with some dignity. Leaking stuff to the media and Steinbrenners lack of confidence vote in a hotel lobby is just dispicable treatment of somebody that deserves far better.

Torres tenure will be remembered more for his World Series titles and Class than the Tigers Series.

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 10-09-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 02:43 AM
Edge

What's sad is that at this point, the Yankees under Torre are known for almost as many collapses as they are championships.

Some of the greatest triumphs in recent memory but also some of the most embarassing defeats and biggest collapses.

Old
10-09-2006, 02:48 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I have a hard time believing a manager is gonna change the way A-Rod reacts under the pressure cooker that is New York.
For all that's been said ARod is not far off at all from many players in the post season in his time here and has far better regular season numbers.

The difference is that he's who we talk about. Even here there is less mention of Sheff or Giambi or even Johnson, or the laundry list of other guys.

For all the talk about ARod not being able to handle NY the guy has an MVP under his belt and has averaged about .300, 40 hr, 20 sb's in his time here.

ARod could've went 3-4 for in games 3 and 4 and it still doesnt change the amount of runs this team gives up or gave up last postseason.

If a team needs to score 10 runs to win a game, the odds aren't that good to begin with.

The laughable thing is for all the heat ARod gets he's admittedto his problems which is more that can be said for about 90% of his teammates.

ARod is only a soap opera in the drama bit that is NY. Fans in other cities look and say "If that's the worst of your problems, that you're notdoing too bad".

Old
10-09-2006, 03:10 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

i will give arod and cash to any team that has s stud young gun pitcher

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote