HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Do the Red Wings need an Enforcer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2013, 03:00 AM
  #51
garry1221
Registered User
 
garry1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Walled Lake, Mi
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Do we need a goon ? No. Do we need an enforcer? I'd lean towards no, with a caveat being, aside from size, isn't tootoo essentially filling that role? What we need is a prime Shaanahan/Bertuzzi. Someone who has the size/physicality to cheeck you through the boards one shift. The skill to get open and pot a goal his next shift. And who isn't afraid to get in the dirty areas when needed.

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:43 AM
  #52
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,703
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1221 View Post
Do we need a goon ? No. Do we need an enforcer? I'd lean towards no, with a caveat being, aside from size, isn't tootoo essentially filling that role? What we need is a prime Shaanahan/Bertuzzi. Someone who has the size/physicality to cheeck you through the boards one shift. The skill to get open and pot a goal his next shift. And who isn't afraid to get in the dirty areas when needed.
Nathan Horton is our man. Or Dustin Penner. They float during the regular season, yes, but are pure diamonds at playoff time.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 08:08 AM
  #53
JimLaheyprobert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
The division Detroits moving to employs them regardless.

Wings need to get some toughness. I would take Bordeleau in a heart beat but hes about the only goon I woul want.

You'll all change your tune when Orr takes Zetterbergs head off next season.
Thank you, i am from toronto and watch all the leafs games, and no in the east numerous teams play their enforcers and yes their enforcers will see that the wings dont have one so they will go after their skill players and try to hurt them. I think everyone here is to used to te west, i didnt start this thread just because in the east their is more stage fighting, because if it was just staged fighting then no i dont believe detroit needs one, but like i said i watch the leafs and players like orr and mclaren skate around like lunitics and take liberties, and dont really care if they take a penality cuz they have the 6th rank pk im the nhl

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 08:22 AM
  #54
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,703
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
Thank you, i am from toronto and watch all the leafs games, and no in the east numerous teams play their enforcers and yes their enforcers will see that the wings dont have one so they will go after their skill players and try to hurt them.
This really does not happen in real life, only in people minds who will romaticide the past.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 08:31 AM
  #55
Dats Y
Registered User
 
Dats Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
Thank you, i am from toronto and watch all the leafs games, and no in the east numerous teams play their enforcers and yes their enforcers will see that the wings dont have one so they will go after their skill players and try to hurt them. I think everyone here is to used to te west, i didnt start this thread just because in the east their is more stage fighting, because if it was just staged fighting then no i dont believe detroit needs one, but like i said i watch the leafs and players like orr and mclaren skate around like lunitics and take liberties, and dont really care if they take a penality cuz they have the 6th rank pk im the nhl
I am also from Toronto and once again no, you must not be watching Toronto or the enforcers closely enough. Enforcers typically play a "clean" game in that they rarely pick up suspensions or fines for their fights or hits. Can they throw big checks? Of course. Do they take liberties on players that are clearly smaller than them or below their weight class? No, unless you are stupid enough to initiate a fight with them or fall into their trap when they are trying to goad you into a fight.

I'm not quite sure where this idea of enforcers taking out skilled players comes from. Coaches are not stupid enough to line up their enforcers against skilled players because it's the quickest way for them to get scored on. In addition, skilled players are usually intelligent and generally know how to avoid exposing themselves to big hits. The only aspect where this may be true is if we saw an enforcer on an opposing team beat up one of our own players in a fight. This would "mentally" take our team out of a game (i.e. when Rinaldo knocked out Crombeen and Tampa largely looked flat and scared the rest of the game last season - Rinaldo isn't even an enforcer). Again though, we would need to have a player stupid enough to engage in a fight above their weight class.

Which brings me to my next point that I've already stated in this thread. Pests are the only players that we should be concerned about. In Tampa games vs. Toronto last season (Tampa largely considered a skilled team), the only player to take liberties on their team was Lupul (not even a pest) who made a hit to the head play on Hedman. Looking across the East, players like Cooke (if he re-signs), Ott, Kaleta, Rinaldo, Marchand etc. are the ones we should be concerned about. They are more likely to take liberties on our team, however an enforcer largely will not be able to deter them from doing so since they never (or at least very rarely) engage in fights with players above their weight class.

Dats Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:04 AM
  #56
JimLaheyprobert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats Y View Post
I am also from Toronto and once again no, you must not be watching Toronto or the enforcers closely enough. Enforcers typically play a "clean" game in that they rarely pick up suspensions or fines for their fights or hits. Can they throw big checks? Of course. Do they take liberties on players that are clearly smaller than them or below their weight class? No, unless you are stupid enough to initiate a fight with them or fall into their trap when they are trying to goad you into a fight.

I'm not quite sure where this idea of enforcers taking out skilled players comes from. Coaches are not stupid enough to line up their enforcers against skilled players because it's the quickest way for them to get scored on. In addition, skilled players are usually intelligent and generally know how to avoid exposing themselves to big hits. The only aspect where this may be true is if we saw an enforcer on an opposing team beat up one of our own players in a fight. This would "mentally" take our team out of a game (i.e. when Rinaldo knocked out Crombeen and Tampa largely looked flat and scared the rest of the game last season - Rinaldo isn't even an enforcer). Again though, we would need to have a player stupid enough to engage in a fight above their weight class.

Which brings me to my next point that I've already stated in this thread. Pests are the only players that we should be concerned about. In Tampa games vs. Toronto last season (Tampa largely considered a skilled team), the only player to take liberties on their team was Lupul (not even a pest) who made a hit to the head play on Hedman. Looking across the East, players like Cooke (if he re-signs), Ott, Kaleta, Rinaldo, Marchand etc. are the ones we should be concerned about. They are more likely to take liberties on our team, however an enforcer largely will not be able to deter them from doing so since they never (or at least very rarely) engage in fights with players above their weight class.
All i know is montreal fans had a similar thread about should they have an enforcer or not. And the majority said they didnt need one. Then this happened...... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u-I0dFW9FTo And alot of ppl changed their mind about getting an enforcer. Now im sure many detroit fans would still not want an enforcer even if that happened to us but all i know is, if it did some ppl who were in favour of not having one would chhange their minds. I know id feel alot safer id we had one. And ur right colton orr and mclaren would not be on when datsuyk or zetterberg would usually be on, but they wud be on when say, pat eaves who has concussion problems already and even andersoon or nyquist and brunner (smallish guys who they would try and crush. And as for ur point that we should worry about pests, a enforcer would completley eliminate that lol. Type in pat keleta vs colton orr on youtube. Keleta was a ghost for the rest of that game.

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:13 AM
  #57
bababooeyII
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
Again, it's not about getting a goon to lace up the skates for 3 minutes. It's about having guys with size or playing big and being able to skate a regular shift. Guys like Lucic, guys like Clarkson, guys like Wayne Simmonds, guys like Shawn Thornton. Those are guys the Wings will be seeing on a regular basis. Orr may or may not suit up for the Leafs, who cares, it's the other guys I mentioned that I worry about.

bababooeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:23 AM
  #58
JimLaheyprobert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooeyII View Post
Again, it's not about getting a goon to lace up the skates for 3 minutes. It's about having guys with size or playing big and being able to skate a regular shift. Guys like Lucic, guys like Clarkson, guys like Wayne Simmonds, guys like Shawn Thornton. Those are guys the Wings will be seeing on a regular basis. Orr may or may not suit up for the Leafs, who cares, it's the other guys I mentioned that I worry about.
I couldnt agree more, but do u know how hard it is to get those guys?

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:26 AM
  #59
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,770
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Draper had his face rearranged by Claude while we had McCarty, Lapoint, and Grimson on the team. Cooke boarded the guy on Boston, and they have plenty of tough guys. Neal's been blindsided a few times and Pittsburgh has Engelland. I don't really feel like going through the litany of players being cheapshotted regardless of who is on the bench, but it's a fallacy to think it's not going to happen just because you have a fighter dressed as your 12th guy. Player X is not going to worry about having to turtle for a few minutes if it means he makes Superstar Y far less effective for the next five games.

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:29 AM
  #60
bababooeyII
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
I couldnt agree more, but do u know how hard it is to get those guys?
Yes I do, we hear it every trade deadline and then every summer. You have to draft them and groom them, something this team never did until the last few years. You draft a guy like Lucic over a guy like Emmerton, you sign a David Clarkson, who was not drafted, and develop him. So yes, once they turn into legit power forward, they are coveted by every team in the league which is why you need to draft and develop them, over risk over paying when they become available.

bababooeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 02:36 PM
  #61
Yzerman1919*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Orr, McClaren, Borderleau, Bollig, Mike Brown, Jared Boll, Shawn Thornton played almost every game this year for their teams.

why not replace a worthless smaller agitator with a worthless big enforcer who can beat the snot out of anyone who touches Pav or Z.


Last edited by Bench: 06-04-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: nooopppe
Yzerman1919* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:05 PM
  #62
Dats Y
Registered User
 
Dats Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
All i know is montreal fans had a similar thread about should they have an enforcer or not. And the majority said they didnt need one. Then this happened...... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u-I0dFW9FTo And alot of ppl changed their mind about getting an enforcer. Now im sure many detroit fans would still not want an enforcer even if that happened to us but all i know is, if it did some ppl who were in favour of not having one would chhange their minds. I know id feel alot safer id we had one. And ur right colton orr and mclaren would not be on when datsuyk or zetterberg would usually be on, but they wud be on when say, pat eaves who has concussion problems already and even andersoon or nyquist and brunner (smallish guys who they would try and crush. And as for ur point that we should worry about pests, a enforcer would completley eliminate that lol. Type in pat keleta vs colton orr on youtube. Keleta was a ghost for the rest of that game.
It really wouldn't deter their antics and dirty plays. Pests will be pests, regardless of who's on our team. If the pest decides to engage with an enforcer then it's a different story and just stupid on their part, but to think having an enforcer on our bench would magically make him change is incredibly misguided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Draper had his face rearranged by Claude while we had McCarty, Lapoint, and Grimson on the team. Cooke boarded the guy on Boston, and they have plenty of tough guys. Neal's been blindsided a few times and Pittsburgh has Engelland. I don't really feel like going through the litany of players being cheapshotted regardless of who is on the bench, but it's a fallacy to think it's not going to happen just because you have a fighter dressed as your 12th guy. Player X is not going to worry about having to turtle for a few minutes if it means he makes Superstar Y far less effective for the next five games.
Basically this, word for word.

Dats Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:30 PM
  #63
JimLaheyprobert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooeyII View Post
Yes I do, we hear it every trade deadline and then every summer. You have to draft them and groom them, something this team never did until the last few years. You draft a guy like Lucic over a guy like Emmerton, you sign a David Clarkson, who was not drafted, and develop him. So yes, once they turn into legit power forward, they are coveted by every team in the league which is why you need to draft and develop them, over risk over paying when they become available.
again i couldnt agree more, that is a whole other discussion, look i love the skilled guys but it seems like we are littered with smallish skilled euros through our red wings team now and our farm teams. I wish wings would draft bigger north american players and we wouldnt have to have this enforcer thread.

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:40 PM
  #64
JimLaheyprobert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Dats Y;67007577]It really wouldn't deter their antics and dirty plays. Pests will be pests, regardless of who's on our team. If the pest decides to engage with an enforcer then it's a different story and just stupid on their part, but to think having an enforcer on our bench would magically make him change is incredibly misguided.

lol thats the thing, kelta didn't engage orr, keleta was being a pest and orr gave him no chance to even skate away, he skated towards him and pummeled him and got kicked out of the game. Leafs killed off the penalty and keleta was a non factor the rest of the game. Not saying every enforcer needs to do that, but honesty every pest will think twice about hitting a guy when they have an enforcer yelling at them from the opposite bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm_0Ouio484

Look we don't have to get an enforcer, and i am aware at why most people don't think we should, but the bottom line is the east is way different then the west. Goons are everywhere in the east and what orr did to keleta their could easily happen to say abdlekader (guy who is kinda pesky) or helm (guy who is very physical). All im saying is that me personally, id feel safer with an enforcer taking the role of say emmerton.

And yes draper got his face broken by lemiuex, but lemiuex did that in the playoffs where if you take dumb penalties that can decide either a game or in rare cases a series. But can anyone tell me what happened the next year to lemiux... his face basically got broken.

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:42 PM
  #65
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats Y View Post
Living in Toronto, I've seen Orr play plenty of times and it's easy to assume that because of his size, physicality and toughness that he'd frequently "take off a skilled players' head". However, skilled players are pretty smart and typically avoid situations where they leave themselves exposed and you likely won't ever catch an opposing coach playing his fourth line against either Datsyuk or Zetterberg; it's the quickest way for them to get embarrassed and scored on.

Also, if you don't engage an enforcer, they are unlikely to fight and will pick up a roughing penalty if they try to initiate and we don't respond. I do agree with the overall premise of your comment, which is that we need more toughness. I'd prefer to see a player like Clowe or Clarkson brought in that can actually play hockey and a clean, tough and physical brand to boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
That's the thing, though. With no tough guys on Detroit, there's no real point in dressing Orr. If you do, he probably takes a penalty and might lose you the game. If he tries to hurt a Wing with a dirty play, he probably loses you the game AND gets himself suspended, which means he isn't around against teams that actually have enforcers. If he lays somebody like Zetterberg out with a clean hit, then that's an unfortunate accident, but nothing worth getting an enforcer for.

Enforcers have no purpose in a game that can be won or lost on a single power play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
This really does not happen in real life, only in people minds who will romaticide the past.
I think you guys are kind of romanticizing this whole wings are tough enough already thing. Boston and Toronto play a very goon it up style of play and will definitely target skilled players

So just to be clear at the end of a game when Orr takes this run at Zetterberg, slugs Franzen and than McLaren beats up someone like Dekeyser or Kindl you guys are all going to say oh well, we'll get a PP?



You have no right to whine about it if this is the side youre going to take

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:44 PM
  #66
gretskidoo
Registered User
 
gretskidoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
If the enforcer can't play hockey, no.

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:45 PM
  #67
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,619
vCash: 500
The west has more physical teams I think overall, but the East has a lot more goons and definitely play a more scrap filled style with heavyweight fighters which involves a lot of goon hockey. Say its dead if you want but youre only fooling yourselves

If that Tootoo instead of Kaleta getting jumped wings fans are crying on here. And dont make me dig up the tonnes of goons tyle hockey Boston has played over the last few years


newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:54 PM
  #68
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,415
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I think you guys are kind of romanticizing this whole wings are tough enough already thing. Boston and Toronto play a very goon it up style of play and will definitely target skilled players

So just to be clear at the end of a game when Orr takes this run at Zetterberg, slugs Franzen and than McLaren beats up someone like Dekeyser or Kindl you guys are all going to say oh well, we'll get a PP?



You have no right to whine about it if this is the side youre going to take
Two ways to skin a cat, first of all I don't think Orr will be on the ice at the same time as Zetterberg, if he is he will be doing his rough stuff after the Leafs pick the puck out of their own net. Most enforcers are around to deter things the Wings don't do. But if they should take this route, I have a feeling the Wings will stand in there better than most think and if it is Orr take a few and go to the ground. Not turtle outright but just get in and wrestle down.

But if Orr actually tries to punk Zetterberg fine. Next shift have Ericsson and Smith beat the living daylights out of Kadri or Kessel. If that is the way they want to play go for it. The Wings have never run from an opponent during this "soft era", they play the game a certain way and don't expect much. But there are some guys that can dance on this team, really this is about as solid as we have been in terms of useful players that can fight in a little while. A super heavy that doesn't play but six minutes a game isn't the answer, and in fact a guy like Bordeleau a guy I know you like could invite something worse. He does something stupid and is already out of the game you have invited the team with three heavies like Toronto into open season status.

If the problem arises handle it as best you can, but an enforcer can cause things to go the other direction and get his entire teams *** kicked which is something a lot of people miss. I have no problem with a Shawn Thornton type that can play a shift and understands the role. But half the enforcers out there are pretty miserable at not starting the whole powder keg to begin with.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 06:46 PM
  #69
Dats Y
Registered User
 
Dats Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I think you guys are kind of romanticizing this whole wings are tough enough already thing. Boston and Toronto play a very goon it up style of play and will definitely target skilled players

So just to be clear at the end of a game when Orr takes this run at Zetterberg, slugs Franzen and than McLaren beats up someone like Dekeyser or Kindl you guys are all going to say oh well, we'll get a PP?



You have no right to whine about it if this is the side youre going to take
Never said the Wings were a tough team.

Just wondering, but do you actually watch the Eastern conference or are you basing your argument off of a couple incidents and by reputation? The incident you highlighted was (is) more of a rare occurrence than the norm. Enforcers don't just go out onto the ice looking for trouble. If we have an enforcer, they are more likely to go after our enforcer, especially if it's to swing momentum in their favor in a fight.

Pests do go out looking for trouble and are a different matter altogether. They are largely responsible for injuries from dirty hits. However, having an enforcer of our own will only bring more unwanted attention to our team (that of other enforcers) opposed to deterring that sort of behaviour.

Gooning, often referred to as staged fighting, is more common among the Eastern conference, but again is only likely to occur if there's a rivalry that has been built on a history of fighting (Ottawa and Toronto, Toronto and Boston notably). There were plenty of games against more skilled teams that Orr and McLaren did not dress for, solely because they are a liability in those situations.

If you can pick up a tough guy who can also play hockey like Neil, Clowe, Clarkson, Lucic, Prust etc. then of course it's a bonus. However, the majority of pro enforcers are talking about bringing in one solely to "defend our skilled players" or "to match up against the opposition's enforcers", which makes 0 sense from our team's perspective.

Dats Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 08:04 PM
  #70
garry1221
Registered User
 
garry1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Walled Lake, Mi
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to garry1221
All in all, I believe the general consensus here is 'we would love to see a big body, who plays and hits like a big body'. In the end, the wings are going to play red wing hockey no matter who's across the ice. If an enforcer wants to dance, someone will step up. We might have our backsides handed to us, but such is life. Either we'll end up with pp's due to said enforcers antics or Kenny will get a lesson in EC hockey and have to tinker with the way he builds this team.

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:01 AM
  #71
JimLaheyprobert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats Y View Post
Never said the Wings were a tough team.

Just wondering, but do you actually watch the Eastern conference or are you basing your argument off of a couple incidents and by reputation? The incident you highlighted was (is) more of a rare occurrence than the norm. Enforcers don't just go out onto the ice looking for trouble. If we have an enforcer, they are more likely to go after our enforcer, especially if it's to swing momentum in their favor in a fight.

Pests do go out looking for trouble and are a different matter altogether. They are largely responsible for injuries from dirty hits. However, having an enforcer of our own will only bring more unwanted attention to our team (that of other enforcers) opposed to deterring that sort of behaviour.

Gooning, often referred to as staged fighting, is more common among the Eastern conference, but again is only likely to occur if there's a rivalry that has been built on a history of fighting (Ottawa and Toronto, Toronto and Boston notably). There were plenty of games against more skilled teams that Orr and McLaren did not dress for, solely because they are a liability in those situations.

If you can pick up a tough guy who can also play hockey like Neil, Clowe, Clarkson, Lucic, Prust etc. then of course it's a bonus. However, the majority of pro enforcers are talking about bringing in one solely to "defend our skilled players" or "to match up against the opposition's enforcers", which makes 0 sense from our team's perspective.
You keep questioning people on if they watch the eastern confrence, but the more and more you post im wondering if you watch the eastern confrence, sure goonage doesnt happen every game, but alot of times in the last 3 minutes in a game, if 1 team is beating another team by 3 goals and the game looks like its over, that team will toss out their tough guys to start gooning it up. And u obviously dont watch ottawa to much because chris neil is one guy who does not play a clean game and will go after your star players if he had a chance. Look if you dont think the wings should have an enforcer then thats your opinion and your entitled to it, i agree with most people on this board, wings should get some bugger bodies who can fight but also play, but those guys are also extremely hard to find, so in the mean time while we r looking for those guys, we should sign an enforcer to a 1 year deal to prevent some of the stuff that will happen.

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 09:06 AM
  #72
Dats Y
Registered User
 
Dats Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
You keep questioning people on if they watch the eastern confrence, but the more and more you post im wondering if you watch the eastern confrence, sure goonage doesnt happen every game, but alot of times in the last 3 minutes in a game, if 1 team is beating another team by 3 goals and the game looks like its over, that team will toss out their tough guys to start gooning it up. And u obviously dont watch ottawa to much because chris neil is one guy who does not play a clean game and will go after your star players if he had a chance. Look if you dont think the wings should have an enforcer then thats your opinion and your entitled to it, i agree with most people on this board, wings should get some bugger bodies who can fight but also play, but those guys are also extremely hard to find, so in the mean time while we r looking for those guys, we should sign an enforcer to a 1 year deal to prevent some of the stuff that will happen.
Really? Because I live in Toronto and have seen more Toronto games in my lifetime than Detroit ones. Wings games that are on NHL network get blocked out for me and any time there's a Leaf game it's on TV at home or at the bar. So I really doubt, you've seen more Eastern Conference games than I have.

Moving on, you keep discussing on how certain players are enforcers who are not enforcers. Just because Neil is a good and willing fighter, does not mean he is an "enforcer". He's a pesky player who can actually play the game, and is somewhat dirty by nature. Having a "goon" or "enforcer" of our own will not deter his play. All it will do is give us someone to respond to him when he does or said player will bring us unwanted attention in the form of initiating/engaging in fights/the rough stuff (you're basically encouraging his behaviour by signing a "goon" or enforcer).

The majority of "goons" in the Eastern Conference rarely play unless it's a rivalry game built on fighting (i.e. NJ/NYR, Tor/Ott, Tor/Bos, Mon/Ott, Tor/Mon etc.) and even in those games, a lot of the "goons" are being phased out of those teams. Players like Barch, Orr, Janssen, McLaren who struggle to actually play hockey and whose only purpose is to fight receive minimal game time and are often healthy scratches. Why do you think enforcers like MacIntyre, Godard, Gillies, Haley, Bickel etc. can't find work in the NHL? The game is evolving and apparently your beliefs are not matching its change.

There are plenty of players out there that can put in a regular shift, fight and be productive on the score sheet outside of fighting. Labrie, Konopka, Rupp, Engelland, Glass, Fraser etc. are all examples of such players. Also, "goons" are typically only used to initiate a response or change the momentum of a game; Detroit does this in a classier manner, by scoring goals. A pure enforcer will never have a place in the Wings organization.

Dats Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:36 AM
  #73
JimLaheyprobert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats Y View Post
Really? Because I live in Toronto and have seen more Toronto games in my lifetime than Detroit ones. Wings games that are on NHL network get blocked out for me and any time there's a Leaf game it's on TV at home or at the bar. So I really doubt, you've seen more Eastern Conference games than I have.

Moving on, you keep discussing on how certain players are enforcers who are not enforcers. Just because Neil is a good and willing fighter, does not mean he is an "enforcer". He's a pesky player who can actually play the game, and is somewhat dirty by nature. Having a "goon" or "enforcer" of our own will not deter his play. All it will do is give us someone to respond to him when he does or said player will bring us unwanted attention in the form of initiating/engaging in fights/the rough stuff (you're basically encouraging his behaviour by signing a "goon" or enforcer).

The majority of "goons" in the Eastern Conference rarely play unless it's a rivalry game built on fighting (i.e. NJ/NYR, Tor/Ott, Tor/Bos, Mon/Ott, Tor/Mon etc.) and even in those games, a lot of the "goons" are being phased out of those teams. Players like Barch, Orr, Janssen, McLaren who struggle to actually play hockey and whose only purpose is to fight receive minimal game time and are often healthy scratches. Why do you think enforcers like MacIntyre, Godard, Gillies, Haley, Bickel etc. can't find work in the NHL? The game is evolving and apparently your beliefs are not matching its change.

There are plenty of players out there that can put in a regular shift, fight and be productive on the score sheet outside of fighting. Labrie, Konopka, Rupp, Engelland, Glass, Fraser etc. are all examples of such players. Also, "goons" are typically only used to initiate a response or change the momentum of a game; Detroit does this in a classier manner, by scoring goals. A pure enforcer will never have a place in the Wings organization.
Lol i also live in toronto and didnt miss 1 leaf game this year, im posting in the leafs threads just as much as the redwings threads, im not gunna sit here nd argue with u about who watches more eastern confrence games lol, but we obviously have two dofferent opinions and see the game two different ways, but u keep saying the enforcers are normally healthy scratches unless they play rivals, thats incorrect, unless injured guys like orr mclaren john scott parros kassian (after trade to ottawa) carkner englennd were all regualrs in the lineup. The only enforcer in can think of who got scratched a few times was westgarth on carolina. And if u didnt notice, wings may not be a rival to the team right now, but they soon will be because they will be playing those teams 6 times this year. So your rivaly point is kinda o pointless

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 12:45 PM
  #74
Dats Y
Registered User
 
Dats Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
Lol i also live in toronto and didnt miss 1 leaf game this year, im posting in the leafs threads just as much as the redwings threads, im not gunna sit here nd argue with u about who watches more eastern confrence games lol, but we obviously have two dofferent opinions and see the game two different ways, but u keep saying the enforcers are normally healthy scratches unless they play rivals, thats incorrect, unless injured guys like orr mclaren john scott parros kassian (after trade to ottawa) carkner englennd were all regualrs in the lineup. The only enforcer in can think of who got scratched a few times was westgarth on carolina. And if u didnt notice, wings may not be a rival to the team right now, but they soon will be because they will be playing those teams 6 times this year. So your rivaly point is kinda o pointless
You mean as pointless as your argument in this entire thread? A pure enforcer is a waste if a roster spot and the majority of the "enforcers" you named play approx. 5 mins a night. Not to mention the negative attention a "goon" or enforcer would bring to our team. Teams largely don't dress goons unless the other team is lining up with the same mentality, it makes 0 sense to purchase a player for the sake of needing one in an emergency.

You keep mentioning how a goon or enforcer will run our players in the dying minutes of a game, but if it's a close game, they won't be anywhere close to the ice and if it's a blowout in our favor, I trust that Babs is smart enough to not put Dats or Z out there. Enforcers do not play dirty for the sake of it, however a "goon" will and no enforcer on our team would be able to deter that unless the goon was stupid enough to fight said enforcer (rarely if ever happens).

Dats Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:08 PM
  #75
bababooeyII
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
I watch eastern Conference games because they're usually more open and entertaining then their WC counterparts. What I can tell you is that there are no pure goons playing most of the time but what you do have are big physical forwards on each line. Each team in the EC has a Neil, Lucic, Thorton type playing a regular shift, all the way from 1st line down to 4th line guys. So while the goons rarely suit up it is the power forwards or physical checking forwards who I worry about. Those guys see plenty of action because they can play a solid game, step it up in the playoffs as well. You see a lot more of those types than you do in the Western Conference.

"I talked to [former Detroit assistant and current Ottawa Senators coach] Paul MacLean, he says it's more physically demanding right from the get-go as far as fighting and physicality," Babcock said. "We'll be excited for short trips and good sleeps."

bababooeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.