HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Asst. Coach Matt Shaw Leaving for USHL Job

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2013, 08:20 AM
  #76
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,188
vCash: 500
Should have specified "Happy with the results" instead of good I suppose.

I've accepted our PP is going to be meh as long as the group we ice is the group we ice.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:02 AM
  #77
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I've accepted our PP is going to be meh as long as the group we ice is the group we ice.
When David Clarkson is your best bet to put the puck in the net, as a forward, on our PP... you know you're in a world of hurt.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:12 AM
  #78
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 18,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
everyone hated Oates here and said he was the reason we sucked on the PP. he goes to Washington and they have the best PP in the league.

Shaw was awesome in SJ, he comes here and the PP sucks.

do you see a common trend?
The common trend here is that this board doesn't get it

Let's start a thread now blaming next years PP on the next coach just so we can get it out of the way early

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:14 AM
  #79
tsipka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
It is not about coaching or even about personnel. Or maybe it is about both. The problem with the PP is that the players stand in one spot and pass to each other with no one moving around. That makes everything so predictable. It's as if they all have a circle with a radius of 2 feet around them and they cant move outside that range. Everything they do is so predictable, the only difference is that when they score they do it a little faster and manage to hit a corner or get it through the goalie.

If the players skate around they will get more quality chances.

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:18 AM
  #80
Devils86
Registered User
 
Devils86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
How frickin hard is it being a Power play coach...Move puck to open man...shoot puck on net...get rebounds if said shot is saved...score goal...Pretty damn simple

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:35 AM
  #81
Tretyak 20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
It is not about coaching or even about personnel. Or maybe it is about both. The problem with the PP is that the players stand in one spot and pass to each other with no one moving around. That makes everything so predictable. It's as if they all have a circle with a radius of 2 feet around them and they cant move outside that range. Everything they do is so predictable, the only difference is that when they score they do it a little faster and manage to hit a corner or get it through the goalie.

If the players skate around they will get more quality chances.
That's exactly the problem I saw, as well.

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:40 AM
  #82
Cowbell232
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
How frickin hard is it being a Power play coach...Move puck to open man...shoot puck on net...get rebounds if said shot is saved...score goal...Pretty damn simple
Actually, it's really hard...

__________________
[size="1"]"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
  #83
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!
 
glenwo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Country: United States
Posts: 24,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Actually, it's really hard...
I was about to say something to the effect of "that's what she said" but I'd rather we stick to hockey.


BTW, has there ever been a more "well-known" yet little-known Asst. Coach than Matt Shaw?

I mean if you ask any hockey fan out there not following the Devils who Matt Shaw is, they probably wouldn't know unless they googled his name.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:46 AM
  #84
tsipka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Actually, it's really hard...
It's easier if the players are skating around.

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:47 AM
  #85
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
It is not about coaching or even about personnel. Or maybe it is about both. The problem with the PP is that the players stand in one spot and pass to each other with no one moving around. That makes everything so predictable. It's as if they all have a circle with a radius of 2 feet around them and they cant move outside that range. Everything they do is so predictable, the only difference is that when they score they do it a little faster and manage to hit a corner or get it through the goalie.

If the players skate around they will get more quality chances.
This post is pure gold

Being static in the offensive zone on the PP does nothing else but help the opposing team.

You need to move the puck around to have a solid PP but that doesn't tell the entire story. You need player movement just as much as puck movement. You need to create a doubt in the oppositions head and if you stay at the same position for your entire shift, the defender won't even be looking at you but he'll know your ass is parked at the very same spot he was checking you 10 seconds ago.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:03 AM
  #86
tsipka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
This post is pure gold

Being static in the offensive zone on the PP does nothing else but help the opposing team.

You need to move the puck around to have a solid PP but that doesn't tell the entire story. You need player movement just as much as puck movement. You need to create a doubt in the oppositions head and if you stay at the same position for your entire shift, the defender won't even be looking at you but he'll know your ass is parked at the very same spot he was checking you 10 seconds ago.
Also look at where kovy lines up most of the time. He is fairly far left and almost right on the blueline. He pretty much waits there for a pass that goes wide most of the time.

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:10 AM
  #87
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Back in the days, our coach told us to move all over the ice and find the open man. We were causing our parents, who were in the stands of course, to almost throw up when we were on the PP cause you never saw so many players moving all over the place that it probably made them dizzy like hell.

We finished the year with a 37% clip on the PP and it just made it impossible for the opposition to make a box cause our forwards were in constant movement. The center would "hide" behind the net and the d-men would make a nice pass for a back door tap-in, wingers would switch sides by doing the same thing (skating behind the net) wich made the goaltender think twice about moving up to minimise the angle of a point shot, etc, etc, etc...

In my books... Player movement + puck movement = solid results.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:14 AM
  #88
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 46,053
vCash: 500
yea I hate watching other team's PPs and seeing them all moving while ours just sits there.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:26 AM
  #89
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,660
vCash: 500
wait im confused. why is it ok to dismiss our PP coach(es) as the problem because they’ve changed with no different results, but its not ok to dismiss our players as the problem, when they have changed more rapidly than the coach? the only constant is really lou, now that maclean, oates, shaw is gone. so, by that logic, the problem is Lou?

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:34 AM
  #90
tsipka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
The problem is deffinitely not Lou. I think it is both coaching and personnel. Not just personnel or coaching.

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:39 AM
  #91
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 46,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
wait im confused. why is it ok to dismiss our PP coach(es) as the problem because they’ve changed with no different results, but its not ok to dismiss our players as the problem, when they have changed more rapidly than the coach? the only constant is really lou, now that maclean, oates, shaw is gone. so, by that logic, the problem is Lou?
the PP wasn't even that bad last year (middle of the pack), people just overreacted.

the players for the most part are going to be the same from year to year.

the problem with our guys is that they don't move or show any creativity on the PP.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:41 AM
  #92
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
The problem is deffinitely not Lou. I think it is both coaching and personnel. Not just personnel or coaching.
What is it that Lou does exactly?

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:49 AM
  #93
tsipka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
What is it that Lou does exactly?
Nothing on the PP. He hires the coaches and signs the players that are responsible for it, but nothing that directly leads to success or failure.

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:53 AM
  #94
NJDevs26
Moderator
No more status quo?!
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35,038
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Should have specified "Happy with the results" instead of good I suppose.

I've accepted our PP is going to be meh as long as the group we ice is the group we ice.
Meh is a lot better than what the PP actually was this year. It was bottom three or five in the league at 5-on-4 efficiency. Only a bunch of 5-on-3 goals early in the season kept the overall percentage from going in the toilet till late.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 06:29 PM
  #95
NC107*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 500
It has been said that the players must move around during the PP and the puck must be moved also. That takes players with skills. Lou puts the players on the ice. Yes it is Lou's fault.

NC107* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:00 PM
  #96
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,802
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC107 View Post
It has been said that the players must move around during the PP and the puck must be moved also. That takes players with skills. Lou puts the players on the ice. Yes it is Lou's fault.
So Kovalchuk, Zidlicky, and Elias aren't players that can skate with the puck?

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 12:39 PM
  #97
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,660
vCash: 500
any chance maurice ends up here?

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 12:48 PM
  #98
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 35,279
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
any chance maurice ends up here?
Yeah, I think there is.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 12:51 PM
  #99
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
Nothing on the PP. He hires the coaches and signs the players that are responsible for it, but nothing that directly leads to success or failure.
That is correct, well half correct apparently.

Lou is in charge of putting the product on the ice.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 01:03 PM
  #100
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sign Tallinder!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 54,711
vCash: 500
If Maurice does end up with us I don't see him as a long term guy though. I think if he does end up with us that he'll probably stick around for a year, and then get a head coaching job.

I really want him though. Even if the PP still sucks he brings a veteran coaching presence, and a lot of smarts. That's something we missed when Larry and Oates departed.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.