HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2013 Draft Thread IV–June 30 3pm–8 16 38 52 69 129 130 143 159 189–Draft Primer in OP

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Hockey Prospectus Final Draft Rankings:

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2013-n...prospects-list
That's Hockey Prospect, which is Mark Edwards' operation. Corey Pronman does the Hockey Prospectus rankings.

Gauthier at 29, and Pulock at 30. There are going to be players being mock drafted in the teens right now that are going to be picked in the 2nd round.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
That's Hockey Prospect, which is Mark Edwards' operation. Corey Pronman does the Hockey Prospectus rankings.

Gauthier at 29, and Pulock at 30. There are going to be players being mock drafted in the teens right now that are going to be picked in the 2nd round.
Which also speaks to the depth of the 30-35 players jumbled up after the first 7-8 slots. There is a lot of very good value going well into the second round.

06-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Zip15

A twitter exchange between me and Edwards:

Quote:
@zip1515 43m
@MarkEdwardsHP Anyone stand on a table for a player this year? Who?

Mark Edwards‏ @zip1515 off the top of my head, Ryan would have 'snapped' if Bigras was later. I'm a fan too though.
My question was in reference to a story Edwards frequently tells about how one of his staffers stood on a table to get Ty Rattie ranked #11 in his draft year.

Bigras (26 on this list) is another guy who is seldom talked about around here. The Sabres are likely familiar with him; he was Catenacci's teammate in OS.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:58 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
A twitter exchange between me and Edwards:

My question was in reference to a story Edwards frequently tells about how one of his staffers stood on a table to get Ty Rattie ranked #11 in his draft year.

Bigras (26 on this list) is another guy who is seldom talked about around here. The Sabres are likely familiar with him; he was Catenacci's teammate in OS.
He is Pysyk v.2013, sound, active stick and a good leader - unheralded type. Not the kind of player I'd expect us to take due to us having Mark.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:04 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

So, if reality follows Button's list, would you take Nurse (8), Lindholm (9), or other?

I'd take Lindholm, hands-down.

If reality follows HockeyProspect's list, would you take Zadarov (8), Risto (9), or other?

Old
06-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
So, if reality follows Button's list, would you take Nurse (8), Lindholm (9), or other?

If reality follows HockeyProspect's list, would you take Zadarov (8), Risto (9), or other?
Lindholm from column A and Ristolainen from column B.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:33 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Linus Arnesson was at the Sabres combine. I think Shinkaruk was there as well, but no confirmation really. Just viewing twitter, I think Shinkaruk was there, he was with Curtis Lazar on a bus I believe.

Sabres sure are clandestine with this.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
Linus Arnesson was at the Sabres combine. I think Shinkaruk was there as well, but no confirmation really. Just viewing twitter, I think Shinkaruk was there, he was with Curtis Lazar on a bus I believe.

Sabres sure are clandestine with this.
Circumstantially, it appears Shinkaruk was there. He could also be in play at either of Buffalo's draft slots--I wouldn't want him at 8, but the point stands. He also got home five hours ago, and I don't know of any other combines that ended yesterday afternoon or this morning.

Also, am I the only one who thinks he looks alarmingly like Phil Kessel?

Old
06-04-2013, 03:43 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Circumstantially, it appears Shinkaruk was there. He could also be in play at either of Buffalo's draft slots--I wouldn't want him at 8, but the point stands. He also got home five hours ago, and I don't know of any other combines that ended yesterday afternoon or this morning.

Also, am I the only one who thinks he looks alarmingly like Phil Kessel?

I think my internet sleuthing skills are improving but I was reading a tweet from Curtis Lazar and it showed a picture of Shinkaruk on their bus or limo, whatever it was. Shinkaruk himself never mentioned being in Buffalo.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
I think my internet sleuthing skills are improving but I was reading a tweet from Curtis Lazar and it showed a picture of Shinkaruk on their bus or limo, whatever it was. Shinkaruk himself never mentioned being in Buffalo.
Yep, and that picture was after Lazar's picture at Pysyk's stall. (I understand that because it was posted after doesn't mean that it was taken after.) That's good enough confirmation for me.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:

Lindholm. Over the last month I've found myself gravitating more and more to Zadarov. I think He's an absolute moose in his own end and after watching him play I think his skill set extends beyond what London has been using him for. As a future top 2 defender I find him an excellent partner for either Myers (I hope) or Ehrhoff (if Myers flops out). An enormous defender with above average skating ability, uses his body to claim chunks of ice. I've seen him tie up a forward crashing the net and still had the core strength to hold his position in the passing lane. Naturally instinctive in his own end, from a purely defensive aspect he is hands down my favorite blue liner in this draft. Personally I ranked him 6th behind the big 4 and Monahan.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:03 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Lindholm. Over the last month I've found myself gravitating more and more to Zadarov. I think He's an absolute moose in his own end and after watching him play I think his skill set extends beyond what London has been using him for. As a future top 2 defender I find him an excellent partner for either Myers (I hope) or Ehrhoff (if Myers flops out). An enormous defender with above average skating ability, uses his body to claim chunks of ice. I've seen him tie up a forward crashing the net and still had the core strength to hold his position in the passing lane. Naturally instinctive in his own end, from a purely defensive aspect he is hands down my favorite blue liner in this draft. Personally I ranked him 6th behind the big 4 and Monahan.
In a Risto vs. Zadarov comparison, do you give any preference to Risto as a right-D vs. left-D (I favor the RD between 2 players, if all other factors are equal enough). Similarly, do you favor Risto as he's played with effectiveness on the larger ice surface, and the move to smaller ice is (I am assuming) easier for a defender?

Old
06-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Superhero

Why is Hunter Shinkaruk rated higher than Kerby Rychel? They have similar offensive numbers. Rychel is bigger and much more physical. Rychel also had much less talent around him than Shinkaruk.

As an outsider just looking over things a bit I think I'd rather have Kerby Rychel on my team.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:35 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Yep, and that picture was after Lazar's picture at Pysyk's stall. (I understand that because it was posted after doesn't mean that it was taken after.) That's good enough confirmation for me.

Agreed. That was kind of a funny picture too.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Lloydchristmas138

Leave it to Buffalo but it seems like we're stuck with the most perplexing and frustrating pick of the draft. There's 7 players that we'd be thrilled with picking any one of and we pick at 8.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:52 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:

The biggest shock to me is actually the 2014 draft. How is Reinhart #1 and Ekblad #3? I think they should be reversed. I didn't think anyone thinks Reinhart will go #1 anymore.

As for 2013, Nurse seems crazy low, along with Shrinkaruk, Lazar and Pulock.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:53 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydchristmas138 View Post
Leave it to Buffalo but it seems like we're stuck with the most perplexing and frustrating pick of the draft. There's 7 players that we'd be thrilled with picking any one of and we pick at 8.
I'm sure if we were picking 9th we'd be saying there are 8 can't miss players and bump up one of Nurse, Horvat or Ristolainen.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
In a Risto vs. Zadarov comparison, do you give any preference to Risto as a right-D vs. left-D (I favor the RD between 2 players, if all other factors are equal enough). Similarly, do you favor Risto as he's played with effectiveness on the larger ice surface, and the move to smaller ice is (I am assuming) easier for a defender?
Specifically liking Zadarov for me is about our centers more than what handedness he is. In the future I am almost 100% certain we will be running a line that does not have a 2 way center on it. Be it Grigorenko, Hodgson, or Ennis they are all offensively gifted and defensively lacking. Instead of finding 2 way wingers and hoping that they develop into 2 way players, I would like to see a dominant defender on this team that would allow us to ice a line purely for the purpose of goal scoring and then protect it with a dominant defender who isn't lost int he offensive zone. Ideally a scoring line would have either Ehrhoff or Myers playing with it and then adding to that a point producing defensive Dman would make it into a very potent setup that could be relied upon down a goal or late in tie games. Zadarov has defensive instincts that are very impressive for a player his age while still maintaining a high enough skill set to not be RR in the offensive zone. Risto is a better 2 way defender and I don't think we need a better 2 way defensive we have 3 already what we need are defensman who can cover for those 2 way players. Zadarov as a prospect is a solid leap ahead of Risto in his own end. All things being equal yes I'd prefer the opposite hand but they aren't equal. Risto is a 2 way offensive threat and Zadarov is lockdown defender with offensive upside. If I could guarantee their development I would do everything in my power to make our d core look like this:

Ehrhoff/Zadarov
Myers/McNabb
Pysyk/Weber

You hope Myers develops into a top 4 2 way player and pair him with a very physical McNabb. You play Ehrhoff in the offensive zone as much as possible while using Zadarov to prevent them from being feasted on by opposing stars. You keep Pysyk and Weber as both can play in the 4 slot as necessary. If however Myers is used to move up in the draft then I believe a player like Risto becomes a much more valuable addition to our roster.

If center is the most important position on the ice then everything I draft from here on out is to make Grigorenko/Hodgson/Ennis into better players by covering up their defensive inadequacies. (Ideally we get a #1 center who can play an above average defensive game but there aren't a whole lot around)

Last edited by Imlach a cup: 06-04-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old
06-04-2013, 07:20 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Josh Morrissey ‏@Morrissey_10 1m
Off to Buffalo tomorrow for a few days and some testing! #MarathonMonthAndABit continues! The countdown is on! #exciting

Old
06-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:

Speaking of them they made a new compilation video from Adam Erne's highlights this season. I don't know exactly who to compare the guy to, but I feel as though he could have a similar impact on this team as say a TJ Oshie. He just does everything and this makes me want him even more.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Our Final Ranking for the 2013 NHL Draft has been released and we have Monahan 8th and Gauthier at 16. Keep in mind that's just a ranking and not a mock, however. The whole list can be found here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...013-nhl-draft/

If you had questions on certain eligibles, we also have our Player Profiler that looks at over 100 eligibles. It's not a half bad resource for going beyond the top 30 picks. It's free, of course, and can be found here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/playe...earsearch=2013

Then, naturally, we have our 2013 NHL Draft Guide, the sixth year we've put one together. It'll bring you 210 profiles (with rankings) among other bells and whistles. We have both a print-ready version and a digital copy optimized for tablets and smartphones. Both are bundled together for 20 bucks if that seems like something you'd want to invest in. That information can be found here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...l-draft-guide/

Old
06-04-2013, 07:49 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

How many of you guys would be happy with Nurse? He seems to have a similar skill set to Myers, except with a nasty edge. Not to mention 6'5'' 200 lbs, with excellant hands, speed, and will fight for his team mates.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
How many of you guys would be happy with Nurse? He seems to have a similar skill set to Myers, except with a nasty edge. Not to mention 6'5'' 200 lbs, with excellant hands, speed, and will fight for his team mates.
Someone would have to find this for sure, but I remember hearing that Nurse wasn't even 6'4". Either way I do not want this guy at 8. Of all available options at that pick he is the one guy I want them to stay away from. Would much rather have Zadorov or Ristolainen and even feel safer picking Pulock, Santini, or Meuller later in the draft over Nurse.

Old
06-04-2013, 08:26 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
Why is Hunter Shinkaruk rated higher than Kerby Rychel? They have similar offensive numbers. Rychel is bigger and much more physical. Rychel also had much less talent around him than Shinkaruk.

As an outsider just looking over things a bit I think I'd rather have Kerby Rychel on my team.
I'd rather have Rychel also ..one thing that scares the hell outta me is hunters plus minus with the points he put up having a double digit minus rating throws up a red flag.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:10 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:

If Monahan and lindholm are gone, he's my pick. Gotta like anyone that compares favorably to a Pronger type.

As much as I like Zadorov or Haag, I'd rather take nurse over them or reaching for a forward

Closed Thread