HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2013, 01:29 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 3m
Bad news for OL Orrin Thompson. He's out for the season with a knee injury. #Eskimos top O-lineman from last season. #CFLTC13 #yeg
They havent even done anything yet. How did he do this?

Old
06-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They havent even done anything yet. How did he do this?
Probably from excessive kicking Koch in the ass to get him moving maybe?

Old
06-04-2013, 02:14 PM
MoneyGuy

You can expect to see two import O-linemen playing this season, and there may be games where they play three.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
You can expect to see two import O-linemen playing this season, and there may be games where they play three.
I would suspect Mitchell, Hinse, and Rottier start on opening day.

After that, it really depends on the development of Rockhill, O'Donnell, and Krausnick. O'Donnell looked raw last season but might be close this year.

I would say we start the year with two imports on the line but that is somewhat mitigated by having two Canadians starting at receiver (Coehoorn, Chambers).

I'm probably most excited to see Curran - he could end up starting at linebacker for us given his talent!

Any thoughts on the rest of the off-season signings? See any guys who could step in and start?

06-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Tavoy Moore is supposed to be a really good KR/PR, but everyone said the same thing about Brandon James too.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Other than Pasztor, are there any other lineman the Esks have drafted that may never play for the Esks?

Old
06-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Moneypuck

I talked to Mitchell and he certainly has a starters attitude going into this season. The whole O line in general is a breath of fresh air. The O line towered over the D in practise this morning. Might take a few games for these guys to get use to each other. Certainly looks a whole lot better than last season.

The game hasn't appeared to slowed down for some of the receivers yet, way to many dropped balls today.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
I talked to Mitchell and he certainly has a starters attitude going into this season. The whole O line in general is a breath of fresh air. The O line towered over the D in practise this morning. Might take a few games for these guys to get use to each other. Certainly looks a whole lot better than last season.

The game hasn't appeared to slowed down for some of the receivers yet, way to many dropped balls today.
Without Bowman in the lineup receiving core look to be a continuing problem for the Esks this year. Other than Stamps no sure hand in the bunch. Really have to improve there.

Maybe Moore gets inserted and fills a gap there.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Any thoughts on the rest of the off-season signings? See any guys who could step in and start?
I put this together from what I've been hearing.... These are some predictions or could-happens for the Esks season. Some of these will come true. Some may not, but these are things the team could do in 2013, plus some predictions.

1. The offense will be much better, and far more dynamic and a risk-taking offense. With Doug Sams, it will be more of a big-play offense, with a diverse, attacking style. If you like a risk-taking offense, you’ll be entertained – win or lose.

2. We all know the O-line needs to be much better. I expect we’ll see the team start two imports on the line. Don’t be surprised if we see three playing at times during the season. Kris Sweet will have a big impact, and it will be a culture shock for them. Prinsen was a teddy bear, Sweet is a grizzly bear. He’ll call the O-line out often and they should be more motivated. I hope they'll be more skilled.

3. Receiver to watch: Ed Gant. The expect Gant to have a break-out season and that he can be as good as Arcenaux. He’s big, fast, and will pressure defences. He could have a far greater impact this year than you might think now. This leads to the next point….

4. Player to watch: Cary Koch, but not for the obvious reason. Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t make the team. He could draw the short straw in a team that will be stacked at receiver. This is a possibility.

5. Our Canadian receivers will be very strong. Look for big strides from Coehoorn, Chambers and Carter. They expect this to be the best contingent of Canadian receivers in the league, not immediately but soon.

6. We’ll be much better at QB. No surprise here, right. They’re looking at Reilly to be a huge addition, and Nichols will really challenge him. There are players on the team who are huge fans of Nichols. Barring a big surprise, Joseph will make the team at No. 3. They love his leadership. They also love Jacory Harris, who has huge potential. Maybe he'll be IR'd? Calgary has the best QB depth, but soon we’ll be right behind.

7. One of three rookie kick returners (Terrance Lewis, Tavoy Moore or Tracy Lampley) will have a big impact as our leading kick returner. Joe Burnett will be removed from return duties, which they expect to improve his play big time in the backfield.

8. John White will likely play or back up in the offensive backfield and will surprise you. He’s quick, has great hands and is a candidate for some return duties. This is another name to watch.

9. The defensive line will be very strong (and deep), starting with Marcus Howard and Odell Willis. However, watch for Brandon Lang (a DE they brought in last fall) to be a great player. They love this guy and think he can develop to be one of the best LBs in the league. Capicciotti might play a lot, too. Kavis pushed to draft him and he is excellent. Almondo Sewell is a gem about to be discovered, and Donnie O. is also excellent. Even if Laurent gets hurt, they won’t miss a beat. Like I said, deep.

10. Watch two other guys at LB – Donovan Richard and Rennie Curran. Both have the potential to be as good as J.C. Sherritt.

11. At SAM-backer, T.J. Hill is aging, so either Eric Samuels or Desmond Morrow needs to shine. Hill may have one more good year. If Hill gets hurt, one of them will be pressed into action. Hill is one of the best players on the team, but doesn’t get all the recognition he deserves.

12. Name to watch: Michael Ricks is likely to make the team in Weldon Brown’s spot at HB. He was on the PR last season and needs to fix some mental mistakes.

A player to watch elsewhere is Collaros, backup QB with the Argos. He’s a Reilly in the making.

I’m predicting at least 10 wins for us, maybe 11 with a shot at 12. We’ll make the playoffs and will be in contention for second, or better. This team may start a little slow, but will start to gel big time.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I’m predicting at least 10 wins for us, maybe 11 with a shot at 12. We’ll make the playoffs and will be in contention for second, or better. This team may start a little slow, but will start to gel big time.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:59 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Hey, I said 10 wins. It's realistic, I think. More than that is maybes.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Beerfish

Cromptom is a better prospect than Harris. If we lose either Crompton or Harris due to keeping Joseph it's another nail in the coffin of Reed in my opinion. Both Rielly and Nichols have been around long enough that they don;t need a 3rd string mentor who just takes up a roster spot. Make the guy a coach if you love him that much but keep him off the damn roster.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:17 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Ten wins?

Highly unlikely. We will be the butt of the West yet again. The offense will be our undoing once again. Specifically the O-line. The upgrade in receivers and QB is negated by a line that cant block. The defense should be good though, as it was last year. Maybe they are good enough to win us some games. If we can actually make our field goals. Or if they actually send out a kicker for the attempt.

What's the over/under on time count violations this year? 36? Ill take the over.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:56 AM
bleed_oil

There are people who know CFL well enough to tweet about it HAHAHAHAHAHA

Old
06-05-2013, 12:05 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Ten wins?

Highly unlikely. We will be the butt of the West yet again. The offense will be our undoing once again. Specifically the O-line. The upgrade in receivers and QB is negated by a line that cant block. The defense should be good though, as it was last year. Maybe they are good enough to win us some games. If we can actually make our field goals. Or if they actually send out a kicker for the attempt.

What's the over/under on time count violations this year? 36? Ill take the over.
Tell you what...let's put it at nine wins and make a wager - avatar and lunch. If we get nine wins or more, I win.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Beerfish

10 wins is very very plausible. The Qb situation alone is a MASSIVE upgrade from the clown show of last year.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
there are people who know cfl well enough to tweet about it hahahahahaha
hahahahaha

Old
06-05-2013, 01:20 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Tell you what...let's put it at nine wins and make a wager - avatar and lunch. If we get nine wins or more, I win.
You said second place and 10-12 wins.

Now its 9 wins?

Old
06-05-2013, 01:30 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
You said second place and 10-12 wins.

Now its 9 wins?
I never said we'd get second place. The only prediction I gave was 10 wins. I believe that, but was hoping to increase my chances on a bet I know you won't accept anyway. Ten wins is doable.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:55 PM
BleedingOil

10 wins is a lock IMO..if yhe line gels we win the west. This defence is going to be great

Old
06-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Valhallis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
10 wins is a lock IMO..if yhe line gels we win the west. This defence is going to be great
I agree. I really love our D this year. Just hope everyone stays healthy and that Mayor Odell meshes with everyone.

I'm still not sold on our QBs though. May have to rely on Charles a lot.

Old
06-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
I think 10 is a fair guess.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a healthy stamps play with a good QB

Old
06-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
so you predict at LEAST 10 wins, but when it comes to a bet, all of a sudden you say 9?

Old
06-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Pfft. Just call 18 points as the over/under. Why nitpick?

Old
06-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I'm just not much for hanging that label on human beings who haven't committed a heinous crime. To each his own.

Koch was obviously having a lot of trouble with pass blocking and occasionally botched pistol snaps as well. He was also the defacto leader of an o-line group that didn't respond when idiot Khalif Mitchell tried to break Simeon Rottier's arm. I knew the end was near for Koch when Hervey started saying that he wanted a meaner/tougher o-line going forward.
Yeah I can't speak to Koch's play as I haven't watched enough CFL in the last couple years but name-calling is pretty excessive. Rag on his play for sure but calling someone garbage implies more than just a bad football player.

Closed Thread