HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Draft Combine/Mini-camp

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
McCarron is this year's Wilson, Biggs, etc. He's a big body, who, if he reaches his potential should have been a top 5 pick, but it's rare that these players do.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Matteus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Same here. Clear names for our first 2nd round picks. I would have hope that Hayden would stick around till the 3rd but I guess it won't happen...
Do you think Hayden is a rather safe pick for bottom 6 projection?

Old
06-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Marc-E-

Is it just me but as long as I recall, the last dominating player at 6'5" that I remembered is Keith Primeau. I know some tall players are good like Malkin, Getzlafand Kopitar but they're listed at 6'4". Is it just a coincidence?

Last edited by Marc-E-: 06-04-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old
06-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
Is it just me but as long as I recall, the last dominating player at 6'5" that I remembered is Keith Primeau. I know some tall players are good like Malkin, Getzlafand Kopitar but they're listed at 6'4". Is it just a coincidence?
Yeah if you're 6'4 you have a choice to keep growing or special skills, most guys pick the skill in lieu of the extra inch.

Choose wisely.

Old
06-04-2013, 05:22 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Another goalie, a 20 year old this time:

https://twitter.com/fpalazzese32/sta...12099561680896

Franky Palazzese ‏@fpalazzese32 58m
Flight to Montreal for Canadiens combine testing! #excited ✈✈

20 year old Zach Hall of the Barrie Colts is also coming:

https://twitter.com/Cannons97/status/341904134863200258

Jordon Cannons ‏@Cannons97 8h
Best of luck to @zedhall28 in his NHL combine in Montreal #bestofluck #lightitup

Both had a solid year in the OHL.

So players not from the Q who will be there:

Kerby Rychel
Ryan Hartman
Michael McCarron
John Hayden
Eric Comrie
Spencer Martin
Evan Cowley
Franky Palazzese
Zach Hall
I assume Palazzese and Hall are coming over to evaluate them as potential free agent signings if they are passed over in the draft. I'd hate to waste a pick on either.

Old
06-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I assume Palazzese and Hall are coming over to evaluate them as potential free agent signings if they are passed over in the draft. I'd hate to waste a pick on either.
If you can get a guy that can step into the AHL next year in the bottom 2-3 rounds, it's not a bad pick. There is a long list of late round picks and free agents that were late bloomers. Obviously age is a factor, similar to comparing 17 year olds and late birthday 18 year olds, but to just rule them out would be dumb.

Old
06-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
I assume they are there as potential FA's.

With that said, would it be any worse than some of the players we've taken in 6th and 7th rounds since 2006? Not even 1 was signed. Chicago selected a 20 year old Andrew Shaw and they are reaping the benefits of it, also selected a 20 year old Garrett Ross last year and he scored 44 goals in the OHL this past season.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'd be rather disappointed with any of those goalies.. I'd be ok with Comrie, just worried about those hips..

Jarry, Bergvik, Hogberg, Bartosak and Petersen would be my targets in the goalie market for the draft.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:25 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'd be rather disappointed with any of those goalies.. I'd be ok with Comrie, just worried about those hips..

Jarry, Bergvik, Hogberg, Bartosak and Petersen would be my targets in the goalie market for the draft.
Came here to say you guys are very lucky if you land Spencer Martin. Kid is an absolute stud and would lucky to have him. Believe me when I say that you won't be disappointed in the future if the Habs draft him. Inconsistent season but was one of the reasons the Steelheads made it into the playoffs after a terrible start to the year.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:28 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Came here to say you guys are very lucky if you land Spencer Martin. Kid is an absolute stud and would lucky to have him. Believe me when I say that you won't be disappointed in the future if the Habs draft him. Inconsistent season but was one of the reasons the Steelheads made it into the playoffs after a terrible start to the year.
The footage I've seen of him, he seems to have the drop and block style.. I'm very worried about the rigidity of his movements, he seems more robotic than fluent. However, if they think they can fix that part of his game, then that opens up a lot of potential for him.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:34 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
The footage I've seen of him, he seems to have the drop and block style.. I'm very worried about the rigidity of his movements, he seems more robotic than fluent. However, if they think they can fix that part of his game, then that opens up a lot of potential for him.
I tend to say it a lot but those videos are probably mine, so thank you for watching .

He is very shaky compared to a Zach Fucale where if a puck is in front of them Fucale would likely stay on his pads and wait, while Martin would jump out to grab it. He is a much more of raw prospect with tons natural skill that'll need work, than a safe bet. But with goalies there's never safe bets. I will say this however he is much more reliant on his glove, and blocker than his pads where he tends to leave his 5 hole open. But he's improved on that quite a bit since his Jr. Canadians days.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:39 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I tend to say it a lot but those videos are probably mine, so thank you for watching .

He is very shaky compared to a Zach Fucale where if a puck is in front of them Fucale would likely stay on his pads and wait, while Martin would jump out to grab it. He is a much more of raw prospect with tons natural skill that'll need work, than a safe bet. But with goalies there's never safe bets. I will say this however he is much more reliant on his glove, and blocker than his pads where he tends to leave his 5 hole open. But he's improved on that quite a bit since his Jr. Canadians days.
I appreciate being able to see some footage of the goalies. You always find compilations of junior forwards and D, but goaltending is harder to find. Which sucks for a goalie like myself, I like to evaluate them since I know more about that position than any other. So thanks for that.

Also, thanks for your input on Martin. Let's me have more insight in case we do snag him on draft day.

Old
06-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

https://twitter.com/marchockey77/sta...86444036263939

Marc Lavigne ‏@marchockey77 27m
Good luck to CMG Sports clients, Fucale, Bibeau, Guindon, Graves, Murphy, Henley, Dea, Ully and Birks at Canadiens combine tomorrow !!!

Ully is Cole Ully, who plays on Bozon's team.

Birks must be this kid: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=153085

There are 2 Graves born in 1995 who played junior hockey this year, Ryan with PEI Rocket & Jacob with the Steelheads in the OHL.

The rest are from the Q, I think. Although it could be Trevor Murphy (from Windsor).

Old
06-04-2013, 08:51 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:

Good luck to CMG Sports clients, Fucale, Bibeau, Guindon, Graves, Murphy, Henley, Dea, Ully and Birks at Canadiens combine tomorrow !!!

There are 2 Graves born in 1995 who played junior hockey this year, Ryan with PEI Rocket & Jacob with the Steelheads in the OHL.

The rest are from the Q, I think. Although it could be Trevor Murphy (from Windsor).
Ully would be a nice pick. Grant got him in the Mock..
Fucale on the radar, ugh.. Not a good fit, especially a 1st round goalie.
Bibeau is a good goalie on the radar, nice to see. Still no mention of Jarry, though.
Hopefully it's Matt Murphy, solid minute eating defenseman would be nice.
Dea disappointed me in play-offs vs. Moose.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

Don't read too much in Fucale being there, they've likely invited every Quebec born prospect worthy of being drafted.

Justin Bailey is here too, doesn't seem pleased, lol. I've actually been several times to that restaurant.

https://twitter.com/JustinBailey95/s...87508701618176

So players not from the Q who will be there:

Kerby Rychel
Ryan Hartman
Michael McCarron
John Hayden
Eric Comrie
Spencer Martin
Evan Cowley
Franky Palazzese
Zach Hall
Justin Bailey
Cole Ully
Dane Birks
Maybe Jacob Graves & Trevor Murphy

Old
06-04-2013, 09:02 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Justin Bailey, nice.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:05 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Justin Bailey is here too, doesn't seem pleased, lol. I've actually been several times to that restaurant.

Well it was nice knowing you...

Old
06-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

Quote:
Justin Bailey, nice.
Don't get too excited WTK, but it looks like your boy Nastasiuk is here too. Along with his teammate Kurtis Gabriel...which I can't figure out since he's 20 years old and had very average numbers for a forward. He's big though.

https://twitter.com/Gaber_29/status/342059385935241216

Add Carter Verhaeghe (who was on the U-18 team) to the list:

Spencer Martin ‏@S_Marty95 26m
Landed in Montreal! Out for dinner feat. @ericcomrie1 @CVerhaeghe21 and the boys, need a translator ... @Fucale31 where you at kid!?

Matt Buckles too:

http://twitter.com/BuckNasty1pt9/sta...36738627227648

Matt Buckles ‏@BuckNasty1pt9 4h
MTL

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 06-04-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old
vad87

Quote:
Don't read too much in Fucale being there, they've likely invited every Quebec born prospect worthy of being drafted.

Prices or french menu?

Old
Nitehowl

Quote:

Was Cole Ully even invited to the NHL Combine??
I watched him alot last two years and would make a good late round pick. He missed about a month this year with mono but is a very smart player,has alot of tools but needs to fill out. I expect a breakout year this year from him with increased playing time and responsibility

Old
06-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Scotianhab

On the prospects board it says we have invited F Liam Coughlin USHS to our Pro draft day camp.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/high_..._in_ushl_draft

Old
06-04-2013, 09:46 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
On the prospects board it says we have invited F Liam Coughlin USHS to our Pro draft day camp.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/high_..._in_ushl_draft
Kid sounds pretty good.. Could be a nice late round pick, nice size and some good reports on him.

Quote:
Don't get too excited WTK, but it looks like your boy Nastasiuk is here too. Along with his teammate Kurtis Gabriel...which I can't figure out since he's 20 years old and had very average numbers for a forward. He's big though.

https://twitter.com/Gaber_29/status/342059385935241216

Add Carter Verhaeghe (who was on the U-18 team) to the list:

Spencer Martin ‏@S_Marty95 26m
Landed in Montreal! Out for dinner feat. @ericcomrie1 @CVerhaeghe21 and the boys, need a translator ... @Fucale31 where you at kid!?

Matt Buckles too:

http://twitter.com/BuckNasty1pt9/sta...36738627227648

Matt Buckles ‏@BuckNasty1pt9 4h
MTL
Zach Nasty and Verhaege? Nice!

Old
06-04-2013, 09:47 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

here to help.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:48 PM
sportnut

[QUOTE=WeThreeKings;67027803]Kid sounds pretty good.. Could be a nice late round pick, nice size and some good reports on him.

Zach Nasty and Verhaege? Nice![/

I believe Remi Elie from the London Knights is going also. Kid plays big, did not get a lot of minutes on a Knights team filled with young talent. Watch him next year!

Old
06-04-2013, 09:49 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

[QUOTE=sportnut;67027907]
Quote:
Kid sounds pretty good.. Could be a nice late round pick, nice size and some good reports on him.

Zach Nasty and Verhaege? Nice![/

I believe Remi Elie from the London Knights is going also. Kid plays big, did not get a lot of minutes on a Knights team filled with young talent. Watch him next year!
What I saw at the Memorial Cup was a guy who's body was playing faster than his mind was. Not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign.

Closed Thread