HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part V: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Rolex

vCash: 500
I believe that RR will be there when the Flyers get to choose. If they pass on him, I will be ticked. Frankly I'll take a potential Morris or Seabrooke at that spot. Pair him with Timonen and watch the growth begin. Twenty years of an excellent blue liner. What's not to like with that?

Old
06-04-2013, 06:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
I believe that RR will be there when the Flyers get to choose. If they pass on him, I will be ticked. Frankly I'll take a potential Morris or Seabrooke at that spot. Pair him with Timonen and watch the growth begin. Twenty years of an excellent blue liner. What's not to like with that?
If we were to draft Ristolanien I rather have him stay in Finland for the year or sign him and put him in the AHL like Anaheim did with their 1st round pick this year.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Honestly, I can't really complain if the Flyers select any of the defensemen that have been discussed here, but the more I read about them, the more I want the Flyers to draft either Morrissey or Hagg.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:58 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Buttons list is out!

Pulock #30
Zads #11
Nurse #8
Ristolainen #25
Morin #13

Some notable defenders.

Also Mueller is down at #40 behind Heatherington and ahead of Subban.

Ryan Hartman is coming in at #26
Nichushkin is #5
Horvat #19
Zykov #37
Also, Theodore and Hagg at 47 and 48.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Rolex

Hagg in the second round would be extremely nice.
LOD-"If we were to draft Ristolanien I rather have him stay in Finland for the year or sign him and put him in the AHL like Anaheim did with their 1st round pick this year." I think that any defenseman who gets to work for a year with Kimo gets an amazing opportunity. I'd keep him in town to do that. Timonen has lifted the careers of more than a few Flyers defensemen.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I think that any defenseman who gets to work for a year with Kimo gets an amazing opportunity. I'd keep him in town to do that. Timonen has lifted the careers of more than a few Flyers defensemen.
Well yeah but none of those guys were 18 year old kids. I rather give him the extra year than throw him into the fire right away.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
For those curious, we released our final ranking for the 2013 NHL Draft a few days ago. Sitting in 11th is big Russian blueliner Nikita Zadorov. Now, keep in mind that's our ranking and not a mock draft for the Flyers. Our full list for the first round can be found here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...013-nhl-draft/

We also take it one step further with our free Prospect Profiler, featuring everyone in out top-60 and over 100 profiles in all if you want to do some homework on some of the later round guys: http://futureconsiderations.ca/playe...earsearch=2013

As we do every year, we've also recently released our 2013 NHL Draft Guide, which has a full 210 ranking, profiles galore, sleepers, ect. It's our big production. If you feel like parting with 20 bucks, we've been told endlessly its more than worth it! http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...l-draft-guide/

06-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
For those curious, we released our final ranking for the 2013 NHL Draft a few days ago. Sitting in 11th is big Russian blueliner Nikita Zadorov. Now, keep in mind that's our ranking and not a mock draft for the Flyers. Our full list for the first round can be found here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...013-nhl-draft/

We also take it one step further with our free Prospect Profiler, featuring everyone in out top-60 and over 100 profiles in all if you want to do some homework on some of the later round guys: http://futureconsiderations.ca/playe...earsearch=2013

As we do every year, we've also recently released our 2013 NHL Draft Guide, which has a full 210 ranking, profiles galore, sleepers, ect. It's our big production. If you feel like parting with 20 bucks, we've been told endlessly its more than worth it! http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...l-draft-guide/
I am okay with this.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Jtown

All I want is nurse. He is the only player in this draft that i am dead set on getting. Anyone after that is just Meh to me.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Thanks Aaron. Homework!

Old
06-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Thanks Aaron. Homework!
Don't worry, there's no test, and if there is it's open book!

Old
06-04-2013, 10:06 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post

Much appreciated. It does complicate my knee-jerk preferences and pans based on little to no actual evidence. You have some huge differences from Button and HP, ranking Pulock up at 14, for example, and Hagg and Theodore in the first round. I'm not disagreeing; just observing how variable the opinions are.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Much appreciated. It does complicate my knee-jerk preferences and pans based on little to no actual evidence. You have some huge differences from Button and HP, ranking Pulock up at 14, for example, and Hagg and Theodore in the first round. I'm not disagreeing; just observing how variable the opinions are.
Honestly, every year Button's rankings are the outlier. Not sure if he is just the bizarro ranker or the others just get caught up in group think.

I've always wanted people to go back at look at rankings and decide who consistently does the best job, what the deviation is and how well their rankings successfully predict the success of the players. Not an easy study to do and not one the draft pundits are likely interested to do. The NHL draft is still generally a crap shoot.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:47 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Timonen will be gone by the time Ristolainen is ready.

I'm going for upside at pick 11. Especially on the backend. Mid pairing guys are the easy ones to acquire. You need to target the guys that have first pairing upside. Ristolainen does not have that in my opinion. He's the Olli Maatta of this draft. Everyone wants him, but there's limited upside.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Honestly, every year Button's rankings are the outlier. Not sure if he is just the bizarro ranker or the others just get caught up in group think.

I've always wanted people to go back at look at rankings and decide who consistently does the best job, what the deviation is and how well their rankings successfully predict the success of the players. Not an easy study to do and not one the draft pundits are likely interested to do. The NHL draft is still generally a crap shoot.
With Button he does these lists by himself. With the scouting services there's multiple scouts and they go with the consensus. I'm sure if you looked at just one of those scouts lists at those scouting services they would have some off the board rankings compared to the consensus too.

Button also doesn't rank them to where he thinks they'll get drafted but as how he thinks they end up latter down the road in the NHL.

Old
06-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Button also doesn't rank them to where he thinks they'll get drafted but as how he thinks they end up latter down the road in the NHL.
Sure, that's the difference between a mock draft and a prospect ranking, but even in the case of prospect rankings Button's rankings always look bizarre compared to the scout services (as you noted), but also individuals who similarly do individuals rankings (McKenzie et. al.).

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Button because he scouts these guys so heavily in person.

Old
06-04-2013, 11:16 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Sure, that's the difference between a mock draft and a prospect ranking, but even in the case of prospect rankings Button's rankings always look bizarre compared to the scout services (as you noted), but also individuals who similarly do individuals rankings (McKenzie et. al.).

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Button because he scouts these guys so heavily in person.
McKenzie's rankings are based off of a consensus of scouts (I think 10) he surveys for the rankings. He has zero input in the rankings.

Button gets criticized because his rankings aren't consensus with the scouting services. Personally, I like his rankings and tend to agree with the points he raises.

Old
06-04-2013, 11:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Burton's lists give you a look at how a GM and FO would setup their draft board. I guess that's the best way to explain them.

1. Nail Yakupov (#1 Oilers)
2. Mathew Dumba (#7 Wild)
3. Morgan Rielly (#5 Leafs)
4. Alex Galchenyuk (#3 Canadiens)
5. Teuvo Teravainen (#18 Hawks)
6. Griffin Reinhart (#4 Islanders)
7. Filip Forsberg (#11 Capitals)
8. Malcolm Subban (#24 Bruins)
9. Matt Finn (#35 Leafs)
10. Hampus Lindholm (#6 Ducks)
11. Cody Ceci (#15 Sens)
12. Jacob Trouba (#9 Jets)
13. Ryan Murray (#2 Blue Jackets)
14. Mark Jankowski (#21 Flames)
15. Andrei Vasilevski (#19 Lightning)
16. Zemgus Girgensons (#14 Sabres)
17. Radek Faksa (#13 Stars)
18. Derrick Pouliot (#8 Pens)
19. Ludvig Bystrom (#43 Stars)
20. Mikhail Grigorenko (#12 Sabres)
21. Tom Wilson (#16 Caps)
22. Tomas Hertl (#17 Sharks)
23. Michael Matheson (#23 Panthers)
24. Scott Laughton (#20 Flyers)
25. Gemel Smith (#104 Stars)
26. Brady Skeji (#28 Rangers)
27. Sebastien Collberg (#33 Canadiens)
28. Olli Maatta (#22 Pens)
29. Henrik Samuelsson (#27 Coyotes)
30. Phillip Di Giuseppe (#38 Canes)

1st rounders left off his top 30:
-Slater Koekkoek (#10 Lightning)
-Jordan Schmaltz (#25 Blues)
-Brendan Gaunce (#26 Canucks)
-Stefan Matteau (#29 Devils)
-Tanner Pearson (#30 Kings)

That's his final list from last year and I put what pick they went next to it. Matt Finn at 9, Ludvig Bystrom at 19, & Gemel Smith at 25 are the only really outrageous ones on there. The rest are pretty close to where they actually went but he does rate these guys on what he thinks they turn out in the NHL.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 06-05-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old
06-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
McKenzie's rankings are based off of a consensus of scouts (I think 10) he surveys for the rankings. He has zero input in the rankings.

Button gets criticized because his rankings aren't consensus with the scouting services. Personally, I like his rankings and tend to agree with the points he raises.
Yep. In every button thread on the prospect board, half the posts are people explaining how button ranks them. The guy is good

Old
06-05-2013, 12:46 AM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well yeah but none of those guys were 18 year old kids. I rather give him the extra year than throw him into the fire right away.
He has been playing in Finland's top league for the past two years so he may be one of the more NHL-ready players.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:50 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
He has been playing in Finland's top league for the past two years so he may be one of the more NHL-ready players.
I know but there's not many 18 year old defensemen who step in and make impact. He might be ready in a physical sense but he would probably be better suited spending at least another year in Finland or the minors.

I just don't believe in throwing defensemen out there at 18 unless they are an exceptional talent like a Seth Jones. We saw what happened last time when we rushed Sbisa.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:20 AM
PhilaFlyers

Thought this was pretty funny

Old
06-05-2013, 03:07 AM
JABEE

I want Nichushkin. He said he wanted to go to the Flyers and I want the Flyers to trade up to 5-7 to get him.

Old
06-05-2013, 07:11 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Don't want zadorov. I'm just not confident in his offensive capabilities or his ability to develop them to an NHL level. I'd rather have nurse, Ristolainen or Pulock.

Old
06-05-2013, 07:17 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
I want Nichushkin. He said he wanted to go to the Flyers and I want the Flyers to trade up to 5-7 to get him.
I'm actually coming around on the Nichushkin idea if he is available. I don't know that I would trade for him, but I think if he were there at 11 I'd grab him. Then get a defender in the second round.

Closed Thread