HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier is Gone and we are winning

Old
10-08-2006, 09:34 PM
ish

vCash: 500
Some of my last response is stuck in your quote JR.

ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Block More Shots

Even though I believe it was a mixture of things that contributed to our poor play for such a long stretch of time, it really comes down to the team needing to commit to bringing in youth and bringing in vets that fit our system. Also, it was necessary that we cut ties with Messier. There was no need to keep him longer, he already stayed in the game WAY too long. The Rangers needed a fresh start without Mark and they needed their players to create opportunities for themselves. That's exactly what they did...a roster shake-up was key. No, they didn't buy big name free agents, they signed good veteran players that FIT the system that Renney was implementing. Nylander, Straka, Ward, etc...all players that can play a Tom Renney style of hockey in the NEW NHL. Not sure if Mark would've kept up either...how old would he have been if he played last year, 44 or 45?

I know Messier did a lot for the Rangers in the past but that's just it...it's a thing of the past. The Messier Era is over in New York and I'm happy to say that it's the best thing that could've happened to the Rangers.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 01:39 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I love looking at threads like these, and comparing to my actual work experience and seeing just why the internet has a reputation for being a haven for misinformation.

The pull of Mark Messier has become way overblown over the years and these theories about him hurting rookies is comical at best.

The difference between teams is as easy as comparing Jagr to Lindros and Lundqvist to Dunham. It's as varied as Ward to Mironov and Shanahan to Fleury.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

All I will say about this thread is the topic gets less and less interesting every time it floats to the top. Not that it ever was very interesting in the past, either, but hey, if it makes someone happy, go for it. Just don't assume I agree with the "idea".

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:23 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Don Mattingly retired and the Yankees started winning.

See how ridiculous that sounds.
The curse of Don Mattingly.The Yankees couldn't win with Donnie baseball when he was a player and have turned into the Atlanta Braves with Don as the hitting coach

Just the facts

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:58 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
Some of my last response is stuck in your quote JR.
I understand what you are trying to say, I just don't agree. The problems with the Rangers teams of that era were much deeper than Mess. They were very poorly built starting from the goaltending out. There was little to no youth in the system that deserved to play thanks to the horrible drafting during the mid to late 90's. The free agents we signed were nothing more than mercenaries on the wrong side of their careers. We had injury problems, suspensions, and guys who just plain didn't care. Most likely Mess in his prime couldn't have done a thing with this crew. Those teams were destined to fail even before they hit the ice. For some to come back and bash Mess because of that is totally pathetic.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 07:16 AM
RangersFan88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebadguy View Post
This is really hard to stomach. A total and complete disgrace. Can't you just pick another team to root for? Seriously. I know I am embarrassed to have to share the garden with you. It would really be a lot easier if you switched to the Devils or Isles. I am sure you are among the idiots who feel that booing Arod somehow helps that situation as well. WAKE UP. If not for Mess we would still be hearing about 1940.

wow
this is the first post in this pile of ******** that makes sense

thank you thebayguy

RangersFan88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The curse of Don Mattingly.The Yankees couldn't win with Donnie baseball when he was a player and have turned into the Atlanta Braves with Don as the hitting coach

Just the facts
You consider a curse a fact? That's rich.

10-09-2006, 08:02 AM
Shadowtron

The fact that you have Islanders and Devils fans defending him in this thread tells me all I need to know.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Drewr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
From a serious cinematic plot standpoint it truly sucked, as most horror movies do, but from a pure horrific experience, turn the lights off and watch it alone in a basement in the dead of the winter and it will most likely leave an impression. Its basically hell on a spaceship.
That's what scared the hell out of me, I sat to watch this at like 2 in the morning thinking I was watching a sci-fi flick and it ended up being one of the scariest movies i've ever frigging seen. It wasn't that good the second time around but the first time...holy ****.

Regarding the topic of the thread, Mess was one of the all time greats, held on to long my ***. Its awful to see him being blamed as the reason they were losing.

Drewr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Just the facts

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 11:30 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

For the umpteenth time - why does it have to be one or the other? Why is it wrong to say that he WAS one of MANY problems with the team during that awful stretch?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:

Just the facts
It might be interesting (and very sad personally) but I don't know if I'd call it a fact.

The same thing could've been said about Torre for far longer prior to 1996.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Fletch

I think...

Mattingly may've helped get Giambi back into being a useful player. I think that says a lot.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Ha, Mattingly was a problem and a jinx....you kids have no idea what you speak of. Get me a list of all the starting pitchers from year to year while Mattingly was on our team and i'll show you MANY reasons why those teams never went anywhere.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
We often stand on opposite sides of opinion, but despite that I've always respected you.
Ditto, Edge. You are one of a few posters who frequently makes me re-assess my POV on topics.

(Didn't know we disagreed that much, though. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
The fact that you have Islanders and Devils fans defending him in this thread tells me all I need to know.
True. It's funny. I've noticed through time here that you will rarely EVER read a cross word written about #2 and #11 by NYI and NJD fans. Of course, you will get the petty, predictable "Messier was dirrrrrty" crap from an odd fan or two, but there is a fool in every crowd.

Likewise, interestingly, one rarely EVER saw a negative word uttered here by NYR fans about Scott Stevens.

Some players - very, very few, actually - just command that level of respect. By both their individual and team accomplishments on the ice, and how they carry themselves off it.

Likewise, a few fans - very, very few, thankfully - are incapable of giving such respect. Their loss.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 03:38 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
That Messier is truly worthy of respect despite team rivalries? That the original thread would be an afront to ANY hockey fan? Of course.

That said, I am not sure why I felt compelled to write such a long, uplifting post about the current Rangers team, examining all the current upside. Especially as a 25 year Devils fan. So, I take it back... RANGERS SUCK!

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 03:40 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

(Kidding by the way...)

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 11:34 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee View Post
do you guys ever sit down and realize that we are winning because messier is finally gone? we are predicted to win the stanley cup by guys like Barry Melrose and Larry Brooks - and with messier here we would be nowhere again
Perhaps we are only winning because of Lundy or Jagr ;-)

Messier doesn't deserve this, not from us.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Its a PP Goal

Did Messier kick Yizee's dog? He always posts about him...

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote