HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2013, 11:24 AM
DJyellow

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

can't wait!

Old
06-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Nitehowl

Craig Button: TSN Chat

Craig Button: To my mind, I think the 25, 34, and 36 picks are all 1st round picks. This is a deep draft & I think the Habs will get real quality with those current selections. I think you always explore what the price would be to trade up but you have to balance it with the quality of player you are targeting with what type of quality you can get at those picks. They may be able to work the other way and move a little back from those selections and get more picks based on teams behind them willing to pay. Bottom line is that MAarc Bergevin has options, very good options and that is where you want to be on draft day.

This is my thinking ..trade the #25 to EDM/DAL for two 2nd's ... seems like the talent level is equal from 20-50 . Craig also mentioned the the #34 & #36 are like 1st round picks in this deep draft

Old
06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
That was my question, BTW.

With Horvat at our combine, I think he'd be a player we'd target in a trade-up. Would people here be willing to sacrifice 34 or 36 to get him? I would.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:50 AM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

With Horvat at our combine, I think he'd be a player we'd target in a trade-up. Would people here be willing to sacrifice 34 or 36 to get him? I would.
Yes.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

Not for me.

A couple years ago, I probably would have said yes.

Now we're seeing that DEPTH and quality CHEAP depth is what is needed to win the cup. Horvat is a great player, but if we hit on all 3 of our top 3 picks.. we've created a situation where we have a lot more depth on entry level contracts or bridge contracts which will allow us to compete.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Yes.
Absolutely.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:52 AM
MonkeyBusiness

To answer draft I think we could see these players in the NHL who weren't on your list : Monahan(good chance), Lindhom and Horvat.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Draft

Quote:

I'm not that excited about him. He looks like he could be a good player but it's not like I see him becoming anything exceptional. Someone I would definitely draft but, not someone I'd move up for. Wennberg, Nurse, and Lindholm are players I would consider moving up for if they hit 17-14-10 respectively.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

I like Horvat, but I'm always wary of lunging for any player who rockets up the rankings based on a hot playoffs/Mem Cup. It's always a question of, is he the real deal, or did he just have the best month and a half of his life?

I still don't think his NHL potential is going to be more than a 2nd/3rd liner, albeit a great 2nd/3rd liner. So I would pass, while acknowledging that I might be kicking myself for it down the road.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:

NO I don't see elite talent there ...more of a physical grinding hard working talent than a gifted offensive talent, I think guys at #34 could develop into the same type player.

Horvat flew up the ratings on playoffs and the MC

Old
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
To answer draft I think we could see these players in the NHL who weren't on your list : Monahan(good chance), Lindhom and Horvat.
Thanks for replying to that, worried no one would see it,

"In terms of skaters we might see in the NHL next year....

Drouin
Mackinnon
Jones
Barkov
Nicushkin
Gauthier (pro-size and defensive game)
Mantha (50 goals, pro-sized, what's the point of being in Junior?)
Ristolainen (Stud d-man, NHL ready IMO)

Not sure if I see anyone else being closer than these guys. Thoughts?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Lindholm would take another year in Sweden and I can't see Horvat making the jump. Monahan, depending on who he's picked by, could possibly make it though. I'd like to see Monahan back in junior as I think he could really use it as a chance to get to the next level, especially if he was moved to a contending team.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Walksss

Yeah I think the staff would have to LOVE Horvat to sacrifice 34 or 36 to get him, there's just too much quality there to make the deal. Would you rather have two of Mantha/ Carrier/ Dauphin/ Pulock/ Burakowsky/ De La Rose/ Poirier/ Dickinson / Morin.... or just Horvat?

For me it's easy, I'll take 2 swings at the home run rather than just one. However maybe someone would be listening if we offered the 25 and Weber or Kaberle (if we ate 2 mil of his contract) We can always hope anyways.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:03 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Thanks for replying to that, worried no one would see it,

"In terms of skaters we might see in the NHL next year....

Drouin
Mackinnon
Jones
Barkov
Nicushkin
Gauthier (pro-size and defensive game)
Mantha (50 goals, pro-sized, what's the point of being in Junior?)
Ristolainen (Stud d-man, NHL ready IMO)

Not sure if I see anyone else being closer than these guys. Thoughts?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Lindholm would take another year in Sweden and I can't see Horvat making the jump. Monahan, depending on who he's picked by, could possibly make it though. I'd like to see Monahan back in junior as I think he could really use it as a chance to get to the next level, especially if he was moved to a contending team.
I think it really depends on who picks them, Monahan I could see being a 3rd liner for a team as of next year. Sort of how Couturier was used in his rookie year, especially if he's drafted by Edmonton. The thing that all of these prospects have in common is their solid defensive play which would help them get a spot in the NHL as of next year.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Not for me.

A couple years ago, I probably would have said yes.

Now we're seeing that DEPTH and quality CHEAP depth is what is needed to win the cup. Horvat is a great player, but if we hit on all 3 of our top 3 picks.. we've created a situation where we have a lot more depth on entry level contracts or bridge contracts which will allow us to compete.
I second this motion.

The difference between Horvat and other guys that will be available at 25 isn't that great and with this draft, I'll go with quantity over slightly better quality.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I like Horvat, but I'm always wary of lunging for any player who rockets up the rankings based on a hot playoffs/Mem Cup. It's always a question of, is he the real deal, or did he just have the best month and a half of his life?

I still don't think his NHL potential is going to be more than a 2nd/3rd liner, albeit a great 2nd/3rd liner. So I would pass, while acknowledging that I might be kicking myself for it down the road.
I liked him before he rocketed up the charts, to me it only validates what I saw in him. Even if he doesn't become the NHL player you hope he becomes, he still should become a player you like and need on your team.

I would have him around 15, any more then that is a reach and there are others who are "more skill" players that should still be available instead.

Old
le_sean

You win important games with Horvat and his true worth is not measurable on a stat sheet. I'd make the move.

Old
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
I think it really depends on who picks them, Monahan I could see being a 3rd liner for a team as of next year. Sort of how Couturier was used in his rookie year, especially if he's drafted by Edmonton. The thing that all of these prospects have in common is their solid defensive play which would help them get a spot in the NHL as of next year.
That's exactly what I was thinking, Edmonton's the big "if" for Monahan IMO. I'm not sure anyone else near where he'll be drafted would throw him right into the lineup. I don't think it would be the best thing for his development but it's definitely possible. Same thing with Gauthier, he's only had one year in the Q but I'm quite sure he could fill a spot on a weak NHL team.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
You win important games with Horvat and his true worth is not measurable on a stat sheet. I'd make the move.
This is what I think too. His impact touches every part of the game.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:12 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
This is what I think too. His impact touches every part of the game.
What about holding onto your pick and grabbing another big time character guy like Compher at 32 or 36? He's not Horvat, but he could be a consolation prize if that's what you're looking for.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Is that guy in any way related to Bronco Horvath who played in the NHL for the Bruins and Rangers? Thats not a common family name....

Old
06-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Nitehowl

CB on William Carrier

Craig Button: I'm not a consensus guy so I'm not going away from but I don't see a definitive NHL player in William. Obviously, he got hurt this past season but I have watched him over the previous two seasons and earlier this season. I don't see a player that possesses any one outstanding quality in his game & I am left wondering what role he can excel at in the NHL. Is he skilled enough? Is he rugged enough? Is he a checker? I'm not saying he isn't any one of these or even a combination of them, only that I haven't been able to feel confident about his game.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Nitehowl

Ryan Pulock

Craig Button: Again, deep draft so Ryan is an NHL player IMO. You are always watching progress in players and it's not that Ryan hasn't progressed but when you watch other players, you see significant strides being taken where they may have been a lot further behind Ryan at one point, their development is catching up and then you project based on that. It's always an assessment based on where all players will be once they have matured, which is approximately 3-5 years after being drafted.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Wishlist for the 1st round:

Lindholm
Lazar
Wennberg

25th:
Morin
Morrissey
Mantha

As for Mantha, if he's there at the 25th spot, you just can't pass up on a 50 goals scorer. The player development staff will have to work with his all-around game in the pros. And I don't want to see anyone saying it's only 50 goals in the Q..comparing to the OHL or WHL.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:35 PM
yianik

Given that Zykov just played his first CHL year and given his production and what he seems to bring to the table in terms of decent size and skill set, I would think he would be ranked higher, like 13-18. What are the negatives with this guy to explain it ?

Old
06-05-2013, 12:37 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Given that Zykov just played his first CHL year and given his production and what he seems to bring to the table in terms of decent size and skill set, I would think he would be ranked higher, like 13-18. What are the negatives with this guy to explain it ?
His skating and the russian factor.

Closed Thread