HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Jori Lehtera (Update: Re-signed with Sibir for 2 years)

Old
06-02-2013, 11:17 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 50
I guess my point was missed, I think they need to make a deal, but if they don't they have to manage the current centers and I do think they keep the CPR line together at the beginning of the year.

But I still would like to see a deal made for that #1 center if available.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:01 PM
ExJbeck

vCash: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasparov View Post
Hey! First post on this board. been lurking around for a year or two, just wanted to say hi.

Also, with the recent developments, the Blues are looking absolutely stacked, dare i say, one of the deepest teams in the league. We have got guys coming out of the woodwork. It's interesting though, i keep hearing that we are short on centers, and now with lehtera coming over, we got them coming out of our ears.

So, we need that one TOP center.

It's not a big secret that NY isn't happy with Mike Richards, but there have also been rumblings that they might buy him out. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...doubt/2364605/)
(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-be-bought-out)

If that's the case, could the Blues be in the mix? After it's all said and done with the RFA's, i think we are going to be closer to the cap than most think, but maybe Army works is magic and we some of the reasonable deals we should be used to seeing around the league.

Now, i am just thinking out loud here (at work) so don't crucify me. what if we did something like this:

*Sign Mike Richards...Boom! we got that capable #1 center we have all been wanting.

*Sign Lehtera...Probable 3rd line center with the possibility of cracking the second.

*Package burgland(?) and halak/elliot and maybe a pick for (?)

What i hope this accomplishes: with signing Richards, we move Backes down to 2nd line center, Lehtera has 3rd, and Sobie has 4th with Porter(ughh?!) We clear up the goalie situation as well. Really, this is an interesting situation. I'd like to keep sobotka for his intangibles and versitility, but i have doubts about him being able to hold down a top 6 position long term.

I don't know if this is the exact spot for this kind of post, but i kind of got on a roll.
Lol nice roll man and welcome. It is BRAD Richards by the way, but that is no big deal. If it was Mike I would be all for moving Backes down or something. Since it is Brad, I think we would all agree he probably isn't capable of being a #1. Still not a bad person to acquire.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
I agree with you on both points here kimzey. Nobody in their first year is going to be guaranteed a spot in the lineup. He will have to earn it and keep it (which I DO think he can do).

The only thing we are in the position to promise is that he will get his fair shot and it will be up to him and his play to determine if the guy stays in the lineup.

We could offer him a situation where he has the right to go back to Russia rather than play more than 1 year in Chicago
Certainly THAT has been an automatic part of the agreement that got him to sign and agree to come to St. Louis, in the first place. I agree that other than that, no special treatment has been offered (e.g. he'll have to win any position he gets on the team's NHL roster.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
Lol nice roll man and welcome. It is BRAD Richards by the way, but that is no big deal. If it was Mike I would be all for moving Backes down or something. Since it is Brad, I think we would all agree he probably isn't capable of being a #1. Still not a bad person to acquire.
The Blues can't afford Brad Richards, and he wouldn't help the team enough for how much they'd have to pay. Yes, Mike Richards would be a much better fit. I think Armstrong will make a "Hockey trade" to get a #1 or #2 centre. I think there is a possibility that Weiss or Stastny might join The Blues-IF they (especially Stastny-but also Weiss to a lesser extent) -take a discount to join this stacked young but low-budgeted team.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Kasparov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
/facepalm. i totally knew that, just got that names mixed up.

idk though. i am looking at his stats, he has put up some serious points in his career.

90+ at least twice in his career. he seems like a solid 60-80 point player.

Last edited by Kasparov: 06-02-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: andy mcdonald isn't a center for the blues.
Kasparov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 04:06 PM
ExJbeck

vCash: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
The Blues can't afford Brad Richards, and he wouldn't help the team enough for how much they'd have to pay. Yes, Mike Richards would be a much better fit. I think Armstrong will make a "Hockey trade" to get a #1 or #2 centre. I think there is a possibility that Weiss or Stastny might join The Blues-IF they (especially Stastny-but also Weiss to a lesser extent) -take a discount to join this stacked young but low-budgeted team.
Well yea, I didnt mean trade for him(brad) with his current contract. I was assuming he is acquired after a buy-out.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Steve Doan
Portugal. The Man

Start planning the parade.....jkjk. good news though

Steve Doan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Steve Doan
Portugal. The Man

Did he play for the blues back in 08? I seem to remember him getting some playing time way back when.

Old
06-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
Did he play for the blues back in 08? I seem to remember him getting some playing time way back when.
Played for Peoria.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:08 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Whether or not you believe he has a spot in the lineup at the start or not, I am glad we might finally have the to opportunity to bench a center if they aren't playing well.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Strickland
‏@andystrickland 6m

#stlblues prospect Jori Lehtera has re-signed with Novosibirsk in the #KHL for two years and will not be coming over to #NHL
Well so much for that.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 12:53 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Well he signed a 2-year deal with Sibir, my guess is for a significant amount of money. I doubt he ever comes over, time for Armstrong to work the phones.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:57 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Alklha's gonna be bummed.

This clarifies the options for Armstrong. Lehtera is pretty much done as a prospect, so this hurts the Blues' center depth even more. They literally have Backes, Berglund and nothing anywhere even close to NHL reality in the pipeline (Sobotka is a 3C max, and so is Berglund).

It means the Blues have to do something trade-wise to get another center, and it must be done this summer. 25 days til the draft, and the first 20 of those will be trade-quiet while the playoffs continue.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 12:59 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

This pretty much rules out any of our talk about Ryan or Vanek or any other non-center. Miller is pretty much the only non-center that would make any sense at all.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:13 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

It's a good day to be Patrik Berglund's agent.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:17 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
It's a good day to be Patrik Berglund's agent.
Seriously doubt Lehtera had any affect on Berglund's contract. Sure we don't have much center depth, but Armstrong doesn't react like some other GMs. If we had Holmgren, then we'd probably give a ridiculous offer to Berglund today.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Any time the team you're negotiating with loses options at the position your client plays, it's a good day. I do agree that Armstrong is a proven shrewd contract negotiator.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:25 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

For a guy who's a borderline NHL skater this says a lot:

@jprutherford The #stlblues made Lehtera a one-way contract offer for substantial money and he turned it down.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Steve Doan
Portugal. The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
For a guy who's a borderline NHL skater this says a lot:

@jprutherford The #stlblues made Lehtera a one-way contract offer for substantial money and he turned it down.
I say we stop negotiating now. If he really wants to play in the NHL he will come to his senses but if he is just trying to milk us he can go back to Sibir. Im sure they would love to give him some ridiculous contract.

Edit- Nm just saw the strickland tweet.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:49 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Armstrong said we offered 7 figures and JR said it was substantial, so maybe we offered him in the 1.5-2 million range. Strickland also said it was believed that Lehtera got a substantial raise, so maybe he is getting 4-5 million in the KHL, so it makes sense for him to stay in Russia.

The positive to take from this is that there is still a lot of room in the budget. This ownership group isn't afraid of investing in the team.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:54 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Perhaps he'll come over later on down the line? Maybe there will be room for him in two or so years time.

In any event, this is a blessing in disguise, it clears up a lot of room and pretty much dwindles our off-season needs down to one thing: center or bust.

We need to go into next season with Backes at #2 and Berglund at #3. Also, we avoid a potential log jam, so you won't have to break apart the CPR line, and Sobotka can go back to wing on the 3rd line, too.

Tough break, but every cloud has it's silver lining.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 01:55 PM
shifting

Good riddance. We should stick to North American skaters, or Europeans in the CHL for future drafts.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 01:56 PM
shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Perhaps he'll come over later on down the line? Maybe there will be room for him in two or so years time.

In any event, this is a blessing in disguise, it clears up a lot of room and pretty much dwindles our off-season needs down to one thing: center or bust.

We need to go into next season with Backes at #2 and Berglund at #3. Also, you won't have to break apart the CPR line, and Sobotka can go back to wing on the 3rd line.

Tough break, but every cloud has it's silver lining.
After 2 years, we no longer have exclusive rights.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 01:58 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
After 2 years, we no longer have exclusive rights.
Oh well.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Alklha

Well that is annoying. Good that it is done now and we know exactly what needs to be done this offseason.

I think that JR is engaging in some hyperbole with that tweet though. I'm a fan of Lehterä, and think he would have been a good addition... I wouldn't have been giving him a "substantial" offer. I don't believe that Armstrong would have went any higher than $3m, and at that price it wouldn't have been multi-years.

Money was obviously the most important factor here, and fair enough. He is probably earning double in Novosibirsk than he would in St. Louis.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote