HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Valentin Zykov - Baie-Comeau Drakkar, QMJHL (2013, 37th overall, Los Angeles)

Old
06-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Akipa
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Small but definitely plenty of talent. His stats clearly have to be taken into consideration. He knows how to put them up.

Top Shelf Prospects has him ranked as their number 28 prospect

For a full scouting report: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/...er-profile-28/

Akipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 08:55 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Zykov is a player if you watch him you will not come away impressed if your looking for a guy who will stand out and control the game.......his game is very effective and most of his points come as quiet points that sometimes you do not realize until the game is done.....for scouts he is a great player because he is super smart, moves very very well without the puck, has soft hands in tight, he has a great shot and is able to score by a very hard and accurate wrist shot or slap shot he also has deadly hands in close to the net as well and he does well getting rebounds, the puck seems to follow him down low which comes to his hockey sense, he is strong down low and does very well grinding it out on the boards, he has excellent puck protection and displays good work in his own zone as well....he is not the type of player to carry the puck down the ice and score highlight reel goals he just works the puck down passing and moving into open ice...very effective player, going to be very good, I think in the NHL he has 30 goal and 60 point potential while being an effective two way leader.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akipa View Post
Small but definitely plenty of talent. His stats clearly have to be taken into consideration. He knows how to put them up.

Top Shelf Prospects has him ranked as their number 28 prospect

For a full scouting report: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/...er-profile-28/
Small? Isn't he like 6'1 210?

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:03 PM
jfb392

Edit: Nevermind.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:08 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
Zykov is a player if you watch him you will not come away impressed if your looking for a guy who will stand out and control the game.......his game is very effective and most of his points come as quiet points that sometimes you do not realize until the game is done.....for scouts he is a great player because he is super smart, moves very very well without the puck, has soft hands in tight, he has a great shot and is able to score by a very hard and accurate wrist shot or slap shot he also has deadly hands in close to the net as well and he does well getting rebounds, the puck seems to follow him down low which comes to his hockey sense, he is strong down low and does very well grinding it out on the boards, he has excellent puck protection and displays good work in his own zone as well....he is not the type of player to carry the puck down the ice and score highlight reel goals he just works the puck down passing and moving into open ice...very effective player, going to be very good, I think in the NHL he has 30 goal and 60 point potential while being an effective two way leader.
Really good assessment.

How would you compare him to Erne?

I'm hoping one of the two is available at 24 for Vancouver and I'd sure like a Q league based opinion.

Cheers.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Erne is a better skater and more physical. Zykov is a better goal scorer.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 10:38 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Really good assessment.

How would you compare him to Erne?

I'm hoping one of the two is available at 24 for Vancouver and I'd sure like a Q league based opinion.

Cheers.
they are different players, Erne is a puck rusher down the ice using his speed and puck handling ability to get the puck down the end, Erne is strong too but not as power forward as Zykov is...Erne has a good shot as well, he is a better playmaker......Zykov is not as flashy as Erne, his skating is not as Dynamic, Zykov is smarter than Erne and has better goal scoring IQ than Erne, Zykov also moves better without the puck than Erne and is stronger standing ground in front of the net and along the boards.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Would David Krejci be a good comparison?

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:07 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
Where do you think he is likely to go? Think he could find himself in the 8-14 range come draft day?

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:10 PM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Would David Krejci be a good comparison?
No not really....for me he's kinda like a Nash without the wheels...does that help?

Oh and he's not 6'4 haha

OEL for Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:20 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Where do you think he is likely to go? Think he could find himself in the 8-14 range come draft day?
i would say 13 - 20 range....he is not dynamic, he is just really good....future 2nd line 30 goal scorere.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:54 PM
"Craigs on it"

Ryder clone

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Ryder clone
Zykov has more ''power'' in his game and a better hockey brain.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Marky9er

Scored 40 goals and was a rookie of the year in junior? Projects as a power forward with good hands? Reading through the comments in this thread reminded me of Evgeny Grachev. Is that a fair comparison, or maybe more of a grounded expectation for Zykov?

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Scored 40 goals and was a rookie of the year in junior? Projects as a power forward with good hands? Reading through the comments in this thread reminded me of Evgeny Grachev. Is that a fair comparison, or maybe more of a grounded expectation for Zykov?
Grachev was 19 when he did this. Zykov is 17.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:02 PM
WTFMAN99

Not sure if he is defensively strong enough, but perhaps Kulemin is a good comparison for him.

WTFMAN99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Henderson19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
Not sure if he is defensively strong enough, but perhaps Kulemin is a good comparison for him.
30 goal Kulemin or 7 goal Kulemin?

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Sam I Am

Craig Button has Zykov ranked 37th overall. As a Hab fan, I hope he drops that far.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 03:23 PM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

Remember Button's lists are not were he thinks they will be drafted but were he thinks they will be ranked 5 years from now...so he thinks Zykov is 37th in future potential but my be a 1st round player right now

Old
07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

As a Kings fan reading these posts I think Zykov fits in well with the Kings system. Thanks to all of you that saw him in person or in other ways that posted your opinion here. Definitely gives us all some good insight on this kid.

Really happy that Lombardi and his scouts are active in the draft and are willing to trade lower picks to move up when they like a player.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Smallz

Zykov to the Kings sounds like it will be a great fit to me

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Craig Button has Zykov ranked 37th overall. As a Hab fan, I hope he drops that far.
Well he did drop that far...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Great great pick by Kings. Zykov to me is or should have been a 1st rounder in the range of 15th-20th.

I have caught few of his highlights and I came away with the impression of Kulemin with solid offensive potential.

Kings fans will love him and I think he can be a serious top 6 threat down the road.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:01 PM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Great great pick by Kings. Zykov to me is or should have been a 1st rounder in the range of 15th-20th.

I have caught few of his highlights and I came away with the impression of Kulemin with solid offensive potential.

Kings fans will love him and I think he can be a serious top 6 threat down the road.
Agreed I was hoping GMMG was going to trade for a second round pick haha great pick for L.A

Old
07-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

I wanted the Panthers to pick this kid at #31. Good for the Kings.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote