HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev

Old
10-08-2006, 11:32 AM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
I think it's funny how Kovalev not being able to make a pass or get in position to get a shot, and Samsonov's passes hitting the other team player's skates all the time means that Plekanec is not good enough for them.

Some of you guys need to WATCH the games. Plekanec is clearly the only guy who has his stuff together on that line, and he's the only one you can't blame for their lack of success. He's strong on the puck, forechecks really well and makes sick passes every game. He's talented enough for that line, believe me.
i disagree with your point of view . I don't think that Samsonov or either Kovalev are playing bad . I don't see that Plekanec is playing so well .

Sometime , the players can play good hockey individualy , but not as a combo , and that is what we see with the line . You have 3 players that like to deke the puck , that like to control and prepare the play . But who is playing in front of the net ? None of them .

You think that Samsonov and Kovy deke too long ? may be because the others don't play well without the puck . This line needs a finisher or big center to stay in the face of the goaler .
The other two just need to stop being selfish and stop losing the puck for no reason while trying dumb plays.

Bonk , the way is playing by now , would be a better fit than Plekanec , who wasdoing very well on the 3th line. Or you let Pleky there and move Samsonov to the 3 th , but i don't see that happen , considering the salary he gets .

Last edited by Darz: 10-08-2006 at 08:23 PM. Reason: edit quote
goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Mobbex

I always knew Samsonov was the wrong signing... Him and Kovalev are too similar, in that they are not adaptable players. They aren't going to tweak their game even if could result in a major break for their team.

Having one of those guys around can come handy every once in a while, but two is just too much, especially on the same line. Plekanec is not the problem, he's been the best player among the three by a mile. I think that Kovalev is just having a slow start, but Samsonov has looked terrible so far, it seems like he doesn't even know he actually has linemates... All we can hope for is that they develop some chemistery, otherwise it's going to be a long season.

Mobbex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 12:03 PM
PERPETUALSMILEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger View Post
I think it needs to be broken.

Samsonov and Kovalev just hold on the puck, try to deke the whole team instead of playing with their linemates. One on a line might not be too bad, but both of them just makes it awful IMO.

Yes, they ARE talented, possibly our best two wingers, problem is, they play too much alike.

Thoughts?
I totally agree. Their style of play is way too much alike to be playing on the same line. Think if they split them up they would be way more productive.....then again it is very early to say....who knows they could be great together

PERPETUALSMILEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 12:17 PM
baldrick

Will more time together to gel get them going or will adjustments with the 2nd,3rd and 4th lines be needed? It's Carbo's job to decide.
What's clear to me is with the parity in the league a team can't afford to have too many floaters, guys who only show up half the time, no matter how much 'talent' they have. Does Buffalo have any floaters? Like the one dimensional goon the days of the floater are numbered.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Jerryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
I think it's funny how Kovalev not being able to make a pass or get in position to get a shot, and Samsonov's passes hitting the other team player's skates all the time means that Plekanec is not good enough for them.

Some of you guys need to WATCH the games. Plekanec is clearly the only guy who has his stuff together on that line, and he's the only one you can't blame for their lack of success. He's strong on the puck, forechecks really well and makes sick passes every game. He's talented enough for that line, believe me.

The other two just need to stop being selfish and stop losing the puck for no reason while trying dumb plays.

Last edited by Darz: 10-08-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Jerryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by As the Glorious Weep View Post
BTW, what does Samsonov think he can accomplish by circling the offensive zone for 10 minutes in his Berezin like display? Go for the ****in net!
Seriously- only God knows what he can accomplish, because for sure, us Bruin fans couldn't figure it out, either.

One game, he'll wow you to pieces, the next few games, he'll make you scream obscenities at the TV set- especially during PP's.

I agree with BruinsGirl- the best center for him was Nylander. They worked great together and had a chemistry I haven't seen matched with Sammy and another player.

Folks- don't be so quick to put blame onto Plekanec- several of Boston's coaches tried to find someone to work with Sammy, and all season long it was juggling linemates galore. We had decent lines broken up just to find someone, ANYONE, to play with him.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Quiet Robert

What has been wrong with this line? Samsonov holds on to the puck too much and Kovalev hasen't been anything special, but where does this ridiculous notion that Plekanec has been bad come from?

Watching the games he seems to the hardest working guy on that line and he's creating chances and playing smart hockey. He made the smart move not to pass on the 2-1 in the 3rd last night. He also made some nice passes when they were cycling the puck in the Leafs zone.

Honestly, I see no reason to break this line up. They'll keep on getting a feel for each other and when Kovalev starts playing they'll be really dangerous.

As it stands I'm really happy the way our lines are working out so far. Higgins (Man I love this guy)-Koivu-Ryder has been dynamite. Perezhogin-Bonk-Johnson has been a good line. And our fourth line, while not the fastest skaters has 3 hard working guys who can hit.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 08:49 PM
habitue*

Samsonov reminds me of Czerkawski... I would sit him in the stand for a couple of games.

Out Perez with Pleks and Kovy - Latendresse with Bonk & Johnson - and have a real 4th line with Bégin - Murray & Downey.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Darz

Well if there is one thing we should all know about Kovy is he is on some nights, and off some nights.

So far in this young season, he has been off for two games, so I assume pretty soon he will have a great game or two to make up for it.

As for Pleks, he is about as steady a forward that the habs have. Don't see him putting up alot of 5 point mights, but he will always give you a reliable good two way game on a nightly basis.

...and as for Sammy. I, like many other, isn't exactly impressed with his first two games as a hab, but two gaems, is hardly a good barometer of what a player can and will do for a team over a long season.

I think this line should be given at least a couple more games before starting the experiments.

10-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Pascal

"When Kovalev starts playing"... screw that, the guy makes 5 million bucks a year, he should be "playing" right away.

I think Bob knew Shanahan was a much better fit for the team than Samsonov for the same reasons stated here.

Yes it's early, but judging from the bruins' fans' opinions, it's just how samsonov plays.

We'll see how it goes, there's not many line options..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
"When Kovalev starts playing"... screw that, the guy makes 5 million bucks a year, he should be "playing" right away.

I think Bob knew Shanahan was a much better fit for the team than Samsonov for the same reasons stated here.

Yes it's early, but judging from the bruins' fans' opinions, it's just how samsonov plays.

We'll see how it goes, there's not many line options..
Well...remember to take what some Bruins fans say with a grain of salt. I recall reading alot of Bruins fans posts about how high of a trade value Sammy should have weeks before they traded him.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 11:24 PM
One Trick Pony

kovalev shows up 1 game out of 4.... and what a coincidence, our 4th game is against ottawa, and you all know that kovalev owns ottawa

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Well...remember to take what some Bruins fans say with a grain of salt. I recall reading alot of Bruins fans posts about how high of a trade value Sammy should have weeks before they traded him.
Yes, some "bruins" fans thought he should have brought a decent return when he was traded, but I wasn't one of them.

In the end, his constant turnovers, dipsy doodle style, crazy penalties at inopportune times, his ability to trip over the blueline (this isn't even a joke.....), his ability to fall down when another player skated past him but did not touch him, and his injuries brought his value down in GM's eyes.

Likeable guy, but he doesn't play with heart. You can't depend on him during crunch time to step it up. He was awful during the shoot outs last year- never scored on one, despite being in just about all of them. You could never put him on the PK.

He is what he is. You'll either love him or get fed up with him.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Garp

If it is still the same in 5 games, I'd really like to see These lines:

Kovy-Plek-Lats
Sammy-Johnson-perez
Bégin-Bonk-Murray

Bonk would be back on the 4th line with pk time. Sammy, which I think is more of a passer, would be feeding perez and Johnson would go to the net...

Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:02 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
If it is still the same in 5 games, I'd really like to see These lines:

Kovy-Plek-Lats
Sammy-Johnson-perez
Bégin-Bonk-Murray

Bonk would be back on the 4th line with pk time. Sammy, which I think is more of a passer, would be feeding perez and Johnson would go to the net...
What about playing Sammy w/ Koivu?
I know Higgins plays well with Koivu but he also has great chemistry with Pleks...

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:10 AM
NewHabsEra*

I would worry if the line didnt get scoring chances and would be outplayed but this is clearly not the case, the line could have scored a couple of goals in both games, they had several good scoring chances and its only a matter of time before they start to reach pts with regularity...

I thought Sammy played a better game saturday..

As for the ones who think Kovalev isnt playing well I strongly desagree... I dont like when he stays on the ice too long like he did twice against Buffalo but Kovy is certainly skating, fighting for the puck along the board, generating offense and competing... You guys would wish him to dominate the game everytime he touches the ice but you forget the fact we faced 2 strong teams this week-end and that our defense need some adjustments to clear the zone... When a team like Boston is the weakest team in your division, it says long about how strong the NorthEast one is.. The only thing I will reproach to Kovy is the fact he is too fancy at time, he is looking for the perfect play but he played all his carreer long that way...

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 10-09-2006 at 01:37 AM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:28 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
In the end, his constant turnovers, dipsy doodle style, crazy penalties at inopportune times, his ability to trip over the blueline (this isn't even a joke.....), his ability to fall down when another player skated past him but did not touch him, and his injuries brought his value down in GM's eyes.
With this much hyperbole it's hard to take your post seriously at all. He does go down easily sometimes, but you're just being ridiculous. When we played you guys in the playoffs, he was easily your best player on many nights.

Give Sammy and Kovy a few weeks at least, I have a feeling that once they start clicking it won't stop

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Habber

I haven't been a big fan of Pleks so far on that line, and I’m not sure why some think he’s been playing well cause I just haven’t seen it.

He seems to be over-adjusting to those two instead of playing his game. He’s playing much more East-West instead of the North-South we’ve seen out of him in the past, plus he’s been dropping some defensive assignments.

Now I’m not blaming the guy, it’s got to be intimidating for him playing on that line, plus he’s had very little practice time with them. But he has to stop worrying about who’s on his wings and start playing his own game, which is get the puck up the ice quickly, dump and chase and fight for the puck. I’ve seen him try to go through guys more this year than all of last year. That’s not his role on this line.

Pleks needs to start to take charge, especially in the neutral zone, cause Sammy between the blue lines is awful. Hopefully they have a breakout game soon and he gets some confidence, because with what he’s shown so far, BG better start hunting for a new 2nd line center.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 08:07 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
I haven't been a big fan of Pleks so far on that line, and I’m not sure why some think he’s been playing well cause I just haven’t seen it.

He seems to be over-adjusting to those two instead of playing his game. He’s playing much more East-West instead of the North-South we’ve seen out of him in the past, plus he’s been dropping some defensive assignments.

Now I’m not blaming the guy, it’s got to be intimidating for him playing on that line, plus he’s had very little practice time with them. But he has to stop worrying about who’s on his wings and start playing his own game, which is get the puck up the ice quickly, dump and chase and fight for the puck. I’ve seen him try to go through guys more this year than all of last year. That’s not his role on this line.

Pleks needs to start to take charge, especially in the neutral zone, cause Sammy between the blue lines is awful. Hopefully they have a breakout game soon and he gets some confidence, because with what he’s shown so far, BG better start hunting for a new 2nd line center.

I will agree with you when you say that Plekanec does need to take control in the neutral zone, but he does have to play more of an east west style when playing with puck handlers like Kovalev and Samsonov because they rarely skate into the offensive zone on a straight away (they usually make 2 or 3 moves and head in on a 45 degree angle)

But as you said give them some practice time (today and tomorrow and see what these guys do in Philadelphia because I am expecting a break out night for this line)

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Le Petit Viking

Reading from some of you, Ribeiro was the problem

But still, the duo Kovy-Sammy doesn't work well and Pleks is minus -2 with a big ZERO pts.

Le Petit Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I will agree with you when you say that Plekanec does need to take control in the neutral zone, but he does have to play more of an east west style when playing with puck handlers like Kovalev and Samsonov because they rarely skate into the offensive zone on a straight away (they usually make 2 or 3 moves and head in on a 45 degree angle)

But as you said give them some practice time (today and tomorrow and see what these guys do in Philadelphia because I am expecting a break out night for this line)
That's exactly why Pleks has to abondon East-West. Right now, Kovy and Sammy aren't pressuring teams at all off the rush cause they take so damn long to get to the offensive zone. We need someone to force these guys to forget making moves in the neutral zone and hustle their ***** to the net, not to sit back and let them dangle and turn back and let defences stack up the blue.

The line has been very good once they establish themselves in the offensive zone. But they're having problems getting there. If Pleks can get through the neutral zone with speed, there's no doubt both of those guys will follow. But easier said than done.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 09:15 AM
GaineysRightHandMan

I wonder if putting Kovalev on centre with Samsonov on the wing will work. Maybe Perezhogin on the other wing, since he did well with kovalev last year for a while. Just a thought.

Does moving a player to centre instead of wing change the make-up of a line very much - example switching Kovalev and Pleks? Any opinions?

Also, Bonk centering this line would be a good experiment to try this year.

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 11:33 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
Seriously- only God knows what he can accomplish
How dare you bring religion to this perfectly fine hockey thread.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 01:06 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Petit Viking View Post
Reading from some of you, Ribeiro was the problem

But still, the duo Kovy-Sammy doesn't work well and Pleks is minus -2 with a big ZERO pts.
Two games in... two games in.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 02:07 PM
CrossCheck

Am I the only one...

...who think we should split our russian??

I mean :

Koivu stays still
Lats - Pleck - Kavalev (2nd line needs somebody to dig the corners...)
Sammy - Bonk - Johnson (couple of good two way foward + an ever dangerous speedster...)
Perez - Begin - Murray (couple of def/grinding foward + a mini me Sammy...)

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote