HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jori Lehtera (Update: Re-signed with Sibir for 2 years)

Old
06-05-2013, 02:01 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
Good riddance. We should stick to North American skaters, or Europeans in the CHL for future drafts.
Because Tarasenko, Berglund, Jaskin, and Polak have turned out horribly. Or Hakanpaa or Lundstrom. What about current players that we didn't draft like Steen, Sobotka, and Halak. Or a former player like Eller.

For every Lehtera or Barulin who weren't even high picks, there are numerous others that come over.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Good riddance. We should stick to North American skaters, or Europeans in the CHL for future drafts.
Exactly. To hell with the likes of Berglund, Tarasenko, Rundblad, Hakanpää, Eller, Jaškin etc because a few third round picks decided to head back to Europe/not come over.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:05 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

vCash: 500
Also, pretty much guarantees that we don't trade Berglund, which I'm fine with if he's the 3rd line center.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:08 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Also, pretty much guarantees that we don't trade Berglund, which I'm fine with if he's the 3rd line center.
I wouldn't say that. We can still move Berglund for an upgrade that is a legit scorer and Sobotka could be the 3rd line center. If Sobotka shows he isn't productive, then we trade for a 3rd line center, which aren't that hard to acquire.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:08 PM
shifting

There were plenty of NA skaters that have done just as well in the NHL that we passed on to take those players. None of them are game breakers either.

Last edited by shifting: 06-05-2013 at 03:52 PM.
shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:15 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I wouldn't say that. We can still move Berglund for an upgrade that is a legit scorer and Sobotka could be the 3rd line center. If Sobotka shows he isn't productive, then we trade for a 3rd line center, which aren't that hard to acquire.
True, I wouldn't mind Berglund as a 3C, but if we upgrade all around and moving him is part of the process, then so be it.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Quote:
I think you're over-reacting. Lehtera was a third-round pick, which is the sweet spot for Euro's with strong upside. Only around 10% of players taken after the second round make it to the NHL, anyway.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
After 2 years, we no longer have exclusive rights.
That's why he decided to stay I think. He's gonna make a lot of money in russia next 2 years and then get the best offer he can from NHL. It's gonna be more than Blues offered now. Money-wise smart move by Lehterä.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Honestly not surprised to see Lehtera take the money and run.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:07 PM
arteamon

It's official http://www.hcsibir.ru/
Quote:
We glad to announce that HC "Sibir" signed a new two-year contract with the 25-year-old Finnish center forward Jori Lehtera.
Yori is a good player, especially for KHL level. But he doesn't have good physical conditions for NHL, and didn't want to risk to play in AHL. So it was logical for him to earn money while he can. A contract with Sibir is very good, I can't blame him for this decision. For example, Anton Belov had similar offer from "Avangard", but decided move to Edmonton for 1-year rookie contract, because he wanted to grow professionally and change an accustomed enviroment. Everyone chooses own way.

arteamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Chippewa

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteamon View Post
It's official http://www.hcsibir.ru/

Yori is a good player, especially for KHL level. But he doesn't have good physical conditions for NHL, and didn't want to risk to play in AHL. So it was logical for him to earn money while he can. A contract with Sibir is very good, I can't blame him for this decision. For example, Anton Belov had similar offer from "Avangard", but decided move to Edmonton for 1-year rookie contract, because he wanted to grow professionally and change an accustomed enviroment. Everyone chooses own way.
Totally agree. I think way too many people bash players for taking the money. They forget, this is the persons livelihood. They're not playing for charity. They're playing for themselves, their families, and their families futures. Same reason any of us go to work in the morning.

The difference is, we have a lot more time to make money. Players, they have 20 years, at best, to do what they do. They need to make as much bank as possible, while they can.

I'm certainly disappointed, he have issues at center. But I wish Lehtera well. It ain't easy.

Chippewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippewa View Post
Totally agree. I think way too many people bash players for taking the money. They forget, this is the persons livelihood. They're not playing for charity. They're playing for themselves, their families, and their families futures. Same reason any of us go to work in the morning.

The difference is, we have a lot more time to make money. Players, they have 20 years, at best, to do what they do. They need to make as much bank as possible, while they can.

I'm certainly disappointed, he have issues at center. But I wish Lehtera well. It ain't easy.
Another thing he gets to stay closer to his family and friends. I have zero issue with European players staying in Europe to play for more money. A professional athlete has a small window to make as much money as they can. They also are always one serious injury away from retirement. Good luck to him.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
That's why he decided to stay I think. He's gonna make a lot of money in russia next 2 years and then get the best offer he can from NHL. It's gonna be more than Blues offered now. Money-wise smart move by Lehterä.
He will never play in the NHL. Period.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 06:51 PM
BlueDream

WELCOME BACK, PATRIK BERGLUND!!!

No way the Blues move him IMO unless we absolutely must include him in a deal to get a star center. With Sobotka on the 3rd line right now, and Porter (who isn't even a natural center) on the 4th, we need depth, so Berglund should stay.

I personally am fine with this news. I have never cared much about Lehtera. If his heart is in Russia then we don't want him here anyways.

I would MUCH rather acquire a proven NHL player. No offense but I personally think some of you were being way too optimistic regarding Lehtera's potential NHL success this season. I don't see any way he would have hit 40 points.

Yeah he's a playmaker but who knows how well he would have adjusted to the physical NHL game anyways.

He's gone and will likely never suit up for us. Time to move on.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 01:17 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

So much for that so called playmaking Center in Lehtera, who took the money and ran with it back to KHL

Anyway, I'm not suprised, Another Jarmo draft pick European who has decided to stay in Europe. I doubt Lehtera ever plays for the Blues, so it's time to move on and look elsewhere. And I would avoid European players in the enrty draft if there is a simmiler North American Prospect from now on, for the budget minded Blues but that is just me.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Taze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Well he signed a 2-year deal with Sibir, my guess is for a significant amount of money.
Rumor is, it was three times the money Blues offer was (1M$ vs 3M$ per season). Not too hard decision, though I'd love to see him in NHL. I'm certain he'd fit in just fine.

Taze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:13 AM
roto

Money is, of course, one reason for Jori to stay in KHL. Everybody needs and wants money. $3M tax tree is a lot more than $1M in U.S especially because in KHL they play only 52 games: more time for yourself, family and friends.

However, many fans forget that the players have a passion for ice hockey and want to play. In KHL Jori is guaranteed a lot of ice minutes and responsibility. In NHL he might get a not-so-offensive role and smaller minutes. Maybe the "dump'n chase hockey" of NA isn't what Jori has dreamed of anyway(?).

I guess he'll be a better player after two more years in KHL and then he can sign with any team he wants (if teams want him), even though I wouldn't be surprised if Jori never tries NHL.

roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
BrokenFace

Quote:
There were plenty of NA skaters that have done just as well in the NHL that we passed on to take those players. None of them are game breakers either.
I'm sure the Blues have skipped over plenty of great Russian skaters to draft North Americans instead as well. That's the thing about the draft, it's a gamble no matter how you approach it. There's no good reason to swear off Russians going forward.

BrokenFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:06 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
This is not a big deal, nothing has changed.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote