HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
I really hope Habs don't trade up using pick 34/36/55. In a deep draft and Timmins' history of at least drafting NHLers these picks can very well end up as good as a 1st rounder. Now, it's a different story if trading up means a top 5 pick...but aside from that I don't think the difference between the mid 1st round and the low 1st/high 2nd is that far apart to warrant a trade up.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Halifaxhab*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Wishlist for the 1st round:

Lindholm
Lazar
Wennberg

25th:
Morin
Morrissey
Mantha

As for Mantha, if he's there at the 25th spot, you just can't pass up on a 50 goals scorer. The player development staff will have to work with his all-around game in the pros. And I don't want to see anyone saying it's only 50 goals in the Q..comparing to the OHL or WHL.
50 goals is still 50 goals. And, if the OHL or WHL were so good they would have won the Mem Cup at some point over the last 3 years....but its the Q that has, so that argument should be put to bed.

For me Mantha is a perfect fit for us a big scoring LW (similar to Pacioretty) who can easily be develloped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
His skating and the russian factor.
Zykov may drop to 34 because of that....and if so, its one of those picks like Collberg last year, cant pass it up.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:49 PM
ChoseLa

Skillwise Carrier is great, he got talent and he's a beauty to watch. That would be my answer to Craig.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:05 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
His skating and the russian factor.
If his skating is an issue then no thanks, wasted enough picks on guys who couldn't skate like Terry Ryan, Matt Ryan, Jason Ward, Eric Chouinard etc, etc.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Sam I Am

If the draft were to unfold according to Button's rankings, the Habs could come out with these players with their top 3 picks:
  • Rasmus Ristolainen
  • Valentin Zykov
  • Ian McCoshen

And for the 4th pick, a choice among:
  • Andre Burakowsky
  • Jacob De La Rose
  • Oliver Bjorkstrand

Two very highly-touted big defenceman. Two big, talented forwards. Not too shabby.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
For me Mantha is a perfect fit for us a big scoring LW (similar to Pacioretty) who can easily be develloped.
Absolutely agree. I think Mantha has the potential to be a more physical, more natural goalscorer than Pacioretty. He has top-10 talent, if he can develop his consistency and effort-level, he could be one of the top-5 players in this draft, he has the physical potential and hockey IQ. You can absolutely develop playing style, just as you can develop skating ability.

I understand that many posters here seem to be very high on character players. That's just fine, based on the current make up of the team, we could really use those types of players in our lineup. However, despite popular cliches, you win by scoring goals, not by being entertaining to watch because of physicality or heart. You can have all of the heart in the world but if you aren't scoring goals, preventing them or assisting them, you aren't a key player or a 1st round pick in my books. I understand the benefits of "intangibles" and heart, it's just hugely overrated on this draft board IMO.

I'm not against Horvat, Compher, Hartman etc. There are just players I'd rather choose that could likely be available.

Edit: My opinion isn't that strong on this, just don't want to choose players that will top out as 3rd liners with our 1st round pick.

Last edited by Draft: 06-05-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old
06-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
If his skating is an issue then no thanks, wasted enough picks on guys who couldn't skate like Terry Ryan, Matt Ryan, Jason Ward, Eric Chouinard etc, etc.
Matt Higgens I presume ??

Old
06-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Dagistitsyn

What do you guys think about Justin Bailey?

I read that he impressed Timmins today.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
There are so many players that I'd be happy with that it'd be pretty hard to disappoint me this draft. Hard to keep expectations low.

^ Bailey is someone I'd by happy with at 34, 36, 55.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Absolutely agree. I think Mantha has the potential to be a more physical, more natural goalscorer than Pacioretty. He has top-10 talent, if he can develop his consistency and effort-level, he could be one of the top-5 players in this draft, he has the physical potential and hockey IQ. You can absolutely develop playing style, just as you can develop skating ability.

I understand that many posters here seem to be very high on character players. That's just fine, based on the current make up of the team, we could really use those types of players in our lineup. However, despite popular cliches, you win by scoring goals, not by being entertaining to watch because of physicality or heart. You can have all of the heart in the world but if you aren't scoring goals, preventing them or assisting them, you aren't a key player or a 1st round pick in my books. I understand the benefits of "intangibles" and heart, it's just hugely overrated on this draft board IMO.

I'm not against Horvat, Compher, Hartman etc. There are just players I'd rather choose that could likely be available.

Edit: My opinion isn't that strong on this, just don't want to choose players that will top out as 3rd liners with our 1st round pick.
I don't see any issues with Character in his case, consistentcy does need work. Some games hesitate a beast othwers he coasts. But mostly uses his size and strength to protect posession, much like Patche's does. And yes, I believe his shot is better than Patches, but similar styles.

We are just some short on prospects with size and skill, especially on the LW. And picking at 25 its tough to find the next Perry.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:57 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post

What do you guys think about Justin Bailey?

I read that he impressed Timmins today.
Everytime I saw him play he impressed, the guy has some sweet hands. I'd love it if the habs drafted him.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:58 PM
S Bah

Having six picks in the first three rounds of the 2013 Entry Draft is an enviable position. It looks like the rebuild could be very close to being done after this year, with talent right through the top 90. I can't wait to watch this season's draft picks, even the 6th & 7th round picks. Go Habs Go!

Old
06-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Morin is a very raw project. He reminds me of Boris Valabik but not as mean. I see a couple of posters mention skating as a forte, it's not. He's a very awkward skater that needs to improve his footspeed. He can have a hard time moving laterally as well. Doesn't utilize his size enough and has to make better decisions with and without the puck. Most of his flaws can be corrected but I'd never see him as anything more than bottom pairing defender.

Taken from the Prospects board, is it an accurate description of Morin?

Old
06-05-2013, 02:11 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
Matt Higgens I presume ??
Oops, right you are, thanks, though me thinks Matt Higgins.

Last edited by yianik: 06-05-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old
06-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
He is somewhat slow, but that can be worked on. He is more a north - south skater. His lateral skating is weak, this is harder to work on, but can be done. Bottom line, he is a solid prospect, but how he does on working on that will determine wheater he is a #3/4 or #7 dman.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:44 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
He is somewhat slow, but that can be worked on. He is more a north - south skater. His lateral skating is weak, this is harder to work on, but can be done. Bottom line, he is a solid prospect, but how he does on working on that will determine wheater he is a #3/4 or #7 dman.
Morin will most likely be drafted before our pick regardless how he skates, if you have seen him skate you don't worry about that too much.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Ginu

If we can somehow draft 3 of:

Mantha
Erne
Hartman
McCarron
Zykov
Gauthier
Carrier
Bailey

I'll be ecstatic. Projected first round players will go anywhere from 1-50 come draft day. We can snag four first rounders with our picks.

Old
06-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Fozz

I have to agree with Button's take on size during the draft:

"The vast majority of mistakes in the draft are made on size. Overestimating the bigger player and underestimating the smaller player."

Old
06-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Artie

Came away with these in a mock draft

Morrissey
McCarron
Bailey
Poirier
Wheaton
Dunn

Old
06-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post

I believe the likelyhood he's there at 25 is almost non-existent. 6'3+ Forward that can skate and is a natural sniper... Some team will take a chance on him before then even if he told everyone to F-off in his Combine interviews.

Old
06-05-2013, 04:44 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Came away with these in a mock draft

Morrissey
McCarron
Bailey
Poirier
Wheaton
Dunn
Don't quit your day job Arturo.

Old
06-05-2013, 04:46 PM
ChesterNimitz

Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28
Morin is a very raw project. He reminds me of Boris Valabik but not as mean. I see a couple of posters mention skating as a forte, it's not. He's a very awkward skater that needs to improve his footspeed. He can have a hard time moving laterally as well. Doesn't utilize his size enough and has to make better decisions with and without the puck. Most of his flaws can be corrected but I'd never see him as anything more than bottom pairing defender.

Quote:

The man's a leafs fan. Enough said. We should only be so lucky to get Morin at 25. Regrettably it won't happen.

Old
06-05-2013, 04:52 PM
ChesterNimitz

Morrissey
McCarron
Bailey
Poirier
Wheaton
Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Don't quit your day job Arturo.
Getting Poirier at 55 would salvage some of the other questionable picks.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
Morrissey
McCarron
Bailey
Poirier
Wheaton
Dunn

Getting Poirier at 55 would salvage some of the other questionable picks.
all that without knowing who was available.

tough crowd.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:03 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
all that without knowing who was available.

tough crowd.
Your first pick is great. The rest is good too but we all want our favorites to fall down so we can pick guys like Dauphin with our 55th. So in real life it won't happen, you mock might be closer to reality.

Closed Thread