HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887)

Old
06-03-2013, 02:50 PM
mitch27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I was Coyotes GM/head scout in the Habs board mock draft. Any thoughts on my haul? I went forward heavy. I figure the Comrie pick won't be liked, but I felt he was quality value at that point.

Coyotes draft:

12. C/W Max Domi
42. LW Jacob De La Rose
62. G Eric Comrie
73. C Ryan Fitzgerald
133. C Jrmy Grgoire
163. LW Greg Betzold
193. C Kyle Platzer
If we got Domi and De La Rose with our first two picks I would do back flips.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Anyone here purchase any one of the draft guides floating around (ISS, McKeens, FC, Hockey Prospects, etc.)?

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:03 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Anyone here purchase any one of the draft guides floating around (ISS, McKeens, FC, Hockey Prospects, etc.)?
I have FCC, THN, and ISS so far. Waiting on the others. redline is my favorite.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:23 PM
hbk

Heres my Draft List. I do this every year and Ive had good luck in the past in hitting our selections. Ive broken it up between Forwards and Defense this year. Im 99% certain we are taking a forward no matter what and I acknowledge up front that Im biased towards forwards over defense. Im also 99% certain that the Coyotes will take a Center over a winger so given the choice of two equal players I placed the Center ahead.

1) C MacKinnon For the past two years I have been singing the praises of D Seth Jones. Ive had a debate with a senior writer for a draft publication about Jones being the superior prospect and for recent months this writers opinion had changed to mine. What I saw firsthand at the Memorial Cup was a truly dominant performance. I set a high standard for what I thought it would take for MacKinnon to steal the 1st overall selection away from Jones and MacKinnon exceeded it (and Jones play dropped off). Truthfully its a pick-em but I have to admit that if Don Maloney was making the first overall selection that this is the name we would be hearing called out. MacKinnon is a franchise center.
2) D Jones Ive loved this player for years. Ive been guilty of making comparisons to Chris Pronger but what I didnt see in physical play at the Memorial Cup has slightly lowered my opinion of Jones. To me hes a better Jay Bouwmeester. Hell play 25-30 minutes a night and put up 50+ points. I just dont see a player who wants to play the physical game and that is what dropped him to #2 on my list. He is a franchise D man.
3) C Barkov Big 1st line center. Something this franchise has lacked forever.
4) LW Drouin Drouin put up great numbers this season but was overshadowed greatly by MacKinnon at the Memorial Cup. Hes a 1st line winger but I fear his ability to handle the physical play at the NHL level will inhibit his effectiveness. I likely should have put him in the #3 slot but again I had a pick-em and given the shape of the Coyote franchise I will defer to the Center.
5) C Monahan Im guilty of loving solid two way heart and soul type players. Monahan is a Mike Richards style player.
6) C Lindholm Playmaking 1st/2nd line center.
7) RW Nichushkin On talent, an argument could be made that he could go as high as #3 (more than likely though around #5). Russian factor/positional preference drops him down a couple of slots. Hes the name I fear will be on the board when it comes to our selection. Im not sold that he is capable of utilizing his teammates effectively and if hes going to want to adapt his game to play in the NHL.
8) C Horvat Complete player. I fully admit I have him high. If you dont believe he can play as a 2nd line center then he drops down to #11. I would compare Horvat to a Chris Drury. This is a guy that just wins and wills teams to win.
9) LW Domi He has more talent than Horvat but Im not sure Domi will play center and I cringe when I think of Domi playing on a line down the road with Samuellson where they might have a competition for who can take the dumbest unnecessary selfish penalty. Small player who is going to be overpowered frequently at the NHL level. Offensively though Domi is a very skilled playmaker who I think on the wing would make us forget all about the loss of Ray Whitney.
10) LW Shinkaruk Great top end speed but is very short (skates hunched over) and small. Very similar to Jeff Skinner with his ability to utilize his edges. He beats WHL defense to the outside all night long but I dont believe hell be able to rely on just his speed (needs strength) at a higher level. Potential 1st line player though which causes me to pause about where I placed him on the list.
11) D Nurse Big, mean physical D. Id say you can never have enough of these but our cupboard is pretty full with D.
12) C Wennberg How do you judge mediocre offensive totals in the Swedish 2nd Division? If you believe he can develop into a top 6 center this is a great pick.
13) C Lazar One viewing hes a 2nd line center. The next viewing hes someone you would slate for your 4th line. Good upside but Im not sure chemistry with current Coyote prospect Samuelsson is enough to place him higher on my list.
14) D Ristolainen Big, every situation D.
15) C Gauthier Potential big, two way power center. He would give the franchise flexibility with Martin Hanzal in a couple of years. Keep in mind the number of inquiries the Coyotes receive from people about Hanzal (yes, they under appreciate his value but you get the picture). This would be a swing for the fences selection.
16) D Pulock Big, solid two way D man.
17) D Morrissey Very good puck moving D. We just dont need this type of player in our system unless we are planning on moving one of Yandle and/or Rundblad.
18) D Zadorov A work in process. This could be a home run pick (top 2 D man) or just a #4 D whos big and can skate.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Etch

vCash: 193
Good list HBK. I agree pretty much entirely except for a couple points. I'd caution you not to overlook Drouin and I don't think he was overshadowed "greatly" during the mem cup by Nate. People keep saying Drouin underperformed but he still came out with a solid 9 points over 4 games, not exactly a huge sample size and he easily could have had a couple more. Let's not forget he had 30 more points than mackinnon in just 5 more games throughout the whole season. I'd be very surprised not to see him in TB absolutely tearing it up with stammer in the not so distant future.
I don't know why but I'm just not as sold as some people seem to be about Horvat. He's not a bad prospect, but when I imagine us looking back at this draft in a couple years I just don't see him being in the same class as most of the other prospects ranked 5~15. That's just me though, and I certainly could be very wrong. I'm still pretty nervous about picking at 12 and I think it'l pretty much come down to who ever happens to slide...

Etch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:01 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch View Post
Good list HBK. I agree pretty much entirely except for a couple points. I'd caution you not to overlook Drouin and I don't think he was overshadowed "greatly" during the mem cup by Nate. People keep saying Drouin underperformed but he still came out with a solid 9 points over 4 games, not exactly a huge sample size and he easily could have had a couple more. I'd be very surprised not to see him in TB absolutely tearing it up with stammer in the not so distant future.
I don't know why but I'm just not as sold as some people seem to be about Horvat. He's not a bad prospect, but when I imagine us looking back at this draft in a couple years I just don't see him being in the same class as most of the other prospects ranked 5~15. That's just me though, and I certainly could be very wrong. I'm still pretty nervous about picking at 12 and I think it'l pretty much come down to who ever happens to slide...
I'm much more keen on Horvat than most. I keep wondering about the Yandle to Philli rumors and wondering if its conceivable that we leave Jersey with Domi, Horvat, and Coutourier (includes our first and Phill's first).

Old
06-03-2013, 07:29 PM
OOEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I was Coyotes GM/head scout in the Habs board mock draft. Any thoughts on my haul? I went forward heavy. I figure the Comrie pick won't be liked, but I felt he was quality value at that point.

Coyotes draft:

12. C/W Max Domi
42. LW Jacob De La Rose
62. G Eric Comrie
73. C Ryan Fitzgerald
133. C Jrmy Grgoire
163. LW Greg Betzold
193. C Kyle Platzer
The Comrie one would be fine but with Hurley still on the board I'd have to take him. And I'd probably snag Roy, Kujawinski, or Elie instead of Fitzgerald. Like the first two though!

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I keep wondering about the Yandle to Philli rumors...
Rumors, rumors or HF rumors?

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:37 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
What HF rumors? Trying to discuss Yandle with Philly HFers is nearly as pointless with discussing him with Oilers HFers.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:38 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Various media sources were reporting around the deadline that the Coyotes and Flyers were talking about a Yandle deal.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:39 PM
hbk

Quote:
4th period this time.

All I know is we aren't giving him away contrary to popular belief. Apparently we are willing to move from Eric Staal to scraps if you went by the offers on the main board somedays. Oh and we should include Hanzal.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:47 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Various media sources were reporting around the deadline that the Coyotes and Flyers were talking about a Yandle deal.
Only report I saw was locally sourced (forgot which station, 620, 910, 1060), and that was the Couturier + Read + 2013 1st + 2013 2nd. But Elliotte Friedman indicated that the Yotes didn't really receive any serious offers for Yandle at the deadline.

Old
06-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
If you're looking for more information on players from that Montreal mock draft, we have our Prospect Profiler that features over 100 eligibles. It's a quick, easy little resource to have handy:

That resource also includes the top 60 players we have in our Final Ranking for the 2013 NHL Draft. 30 of those are on the website. In and around Phoenix's pick are as follows:

Quote:
10). C/LW Max Domi, London, OHL, 5-10, 195
11). D Nikita Zadorov, London, OHL, 6-5, 225
12). D Rasmus Ristolainen, TPS, SM-Liiga, 6-3, 205
13). LW Alexander Wennberg, Djurgrden, Allsvenskan, 6-0, 175
14). D Ryan Pulock, Brandon, WHL, 6-1, 210
15). D Josh Morrissey, Prince Albert, WHL, 6-0, 185
http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...013-nhl-draft/

We also have our 2013 NHL Draft Guide, which features a top-210 with profiles, sleepers and a pile of other content. For 20 bucks, it comes as a two-part PDF. The first is designed for tablets and smartphones while the second is a text-only copy for those that want to print it out. More information on that can be found here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...l-draft-guide/

Old
06-05-2013, 02:41 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

One potential trade up partner that hasn't been discussed is Buffalo. In the off-chance one of Lindholm/Monahan make it past EDM, I'm sure the Sabres would consider Gormley for their 8th straight up as he could be an ideal partner for Myers in short order.

Old
06-05-2013, 02:51 PM
PhoPhan

Buffalo seems to be looking to trade up, not down, but given how that team has been managed since Pegula bought it, I don't think a panicky win-now sort of move would be out of the question. Trading the pick straight up for someone like Gormley seems unlikely, but I'll concede it's impossible to get a read on that team right now. Which is to say the moves Regier has been making don't make any sense.

I'd still put the probability of the Coyotes moving up at all around 10-15%, and most of that would be moving up 1-3 slots. Odds of moving into the top 6 or 7 are infinitesimally long.

But that's fun, because 12 is right around where teams start to go off the board. Someone we have pegged higher could fall to 12 (not unlike Gormley himself a few years ago), but I think it's more likely that the Coyotes are one of the first teams to start really divulging from the consensus. I've still got my fingers crossed for Compher, who I would probably take over Domi and Shinkaruk and definitely Horvat at this point, but who knows what we'll end up with.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
When I read Maloney's comment about already receiving an offer to move up, I took it to mean that another team below us has offered Maloney something to move up. Meaning we would drop down in the draft, not up into the top ten.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:20 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
When I read Maloney's comment about already receiving an offer to move up, I took it to mean that another team below us has offered Maloney something to move up. Meaning we would drop down in the draft, not up into the top ten.
Pretty sure it meant he received an offer to move up into the Top 10, otherwise he would've clearly said it was an offer to move down.

Old
06-05-2013, 04:29 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Pretty sure it meant he received an offer to move up into the Top 10, otherwise he would've clearly said it was an offer to move down.
Really doubt he would mention moving down in the draft without mentioning a NHL forward being returned. Otherwise it wouldn't be news worthy (releasing info before the deal is completed).

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 04:40 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Only report I saw was locally sourced (forgot which station, 620, 910, 1060), and that was the Couturier + Read + 2013 1st + 2013 2nd. But Elliotte Friedman indicated that the Yotes didn't really receive any serious offers for Yandle at the deadline.
I can't see Maloney taking that scenario seriously. It look good at that time when the Flyers were relatively 5th form the worse. With Yandle the Flyers could have made the playoffs. But then again the 'Yotes might have been picking in the top 5 with that trade... something tells me that GMDM won't do a fair trade with Holmgren!

Old
06-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Really doubt he would mention moving down in the draft without mentioning a NHL forward being returned. Otherwise it wouldn't be news worthy (releasing info before the deal is completed).
It wasn't news worthy. It was a simple tweet from Sarah McLellan that wasn't even written as a quote.

https://twitter.com/azc_mclellan/sta...82181657300992

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 05:01 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
It wasn't news worthy. It was a simple tweet from Sarah McLellan that wasn't even written as a quote.

https://twitter.com/azc_mclellan/sta...82181657300992
Maloney is talking to Sarah, IMO, is news worthy and not what I would consider a mere passing conversation... She does work for the Repub!

Old
06-05-2013, 05:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I can't see Maloney taking that scenario seriously. It look good at that time when the Flyers were relatively 5th form the worse. With Yandle the Flyers could have made the playoffs. But then again the 'Yotes might have been picking in the top 5 with that trade... something tells me that GMDM won't do a fair trade with Holmgren!
What? Maloney would have to be insane not to accept an offer of Couturier AND Read AND 12th overall AND 42nd overall.

06-05-2013, 05:16 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What? Maloney would have to be insane not to accept an offer of Couturier AND Read AND 12th overall AND 42nd overall.
Not to nitpick (no pun intended) but Philly's selection is 11th overall, our pick is at 12th.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 07:29 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Of course. My bad.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:12 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Doing more reading on the Oilers and the draft, and looks like there is serious buzz in Edmonton that MacTavish is really considering trading down to get Lazar/Horvat if Monahan isn't there at 7 (to the bewilderment of Oilers fans). Heck, he may even trade down before draft day. Apparently there is also some worry that Lindholm played a lot more wing than center this season.

In other words, certainly think there's a deal to be made to move up to snag our best shot at a franchise center. Just gotta keep those fingers crossed that Carolina and Calgary go Nisch and Monahan on draft day.

Last edited by IPreferPi: 06-07-2013 at 01:22 PM.