HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where can Miller go?

Old
06-05-2013, 05:39 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Ranking Bobrovsky as the fourth best goalie based on about a half season of being good seems rather premature
You can say that about a handful of guys on this list who are young. I'm not asking who's going to be the best next year, I'm asking who has the highest value overall. I think the youth and potential increases trade value far more than the lack of pedigree diminishes it.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
You can say that about a handful of guys on this list who are young. I'm not asking who's going to be the best next year, I'm asking who has the highest value overall. I think the youth and potential increases trade value far more than the lack of pedigree diminishes it.
Depends what a team is looking for. Miller provides a better shot at stability than many other options.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 07:25 PM
kenfury

Consistency is a big thing with goalies. I think everyone has seen a goalie run hot for a season or two and then the wheels falls or or the league figures out his weak spot. With that in mind Miller is a solid 5-10. Not that truly franchise G but a solid proven starter with a body of work that supports the argument that he is a guy who can run hot to become a franchise goalie and even when cold still is serviceable and bounces back.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Pittsburgh will gut their depth before giving away one of their elite guys. Guys like Kunitz will be let go way before they think of giving away Malkin or Letang.
Considering how plugs like Dupuis strike gold by playing with the likes of Sid and Geno, they can afford to go cheap with retreads on the wings if they want to, long before moving key personnel.

That said, the team that Regier should be talking to about Miller is probably Pittsburgh at this point. MAF/Vokoun didn't get it done so finding a possible MAF-for-Miller swap it a little equalizer going to Buffalo as a short-term answer for the Pens has some appeal.

Pens get a preceived better pressure goalie, potentially with a cap adjustment held by the Sabres to allow the Pens to retain UFA around their core while removing a guy who's confidence appears shot on a longer deal. Buffalo moves Miller for something, even if it is a transitional piece like MAF, and avoids losing him for nothing. Waddell being a pro scout for the Pens might work in the Sabres favor too.

06-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Considering how plugs like Dupuis strike gold by playing with the likes of Sid and Geno, they can afford to go cheap with retreads on the wings if they want to, long before moving key personnel.

That said, the team that Regier should be talking to about Miller is probably Pittsburgh at this point. MAF/Vokoun didn't get it done so finding a possible MAF-for-Miller swap it a little equalizer going to Buffalo as a short-term answer for the Pens has some appeal.

Pens get a preceived better pressure goalie, potentially with a cap adjustment held by the Sabres to allow the Pens to retain UFA around their core while removing a guy who's confidence appears shot on a longer deal. Buffalo moves Miller for something, even if it is a transitional piece like MAF, and avoids losing him for nothing. Waddell being a pro scout for the Pens might work in the Sabres favor too.
thank god that perception exists

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
Consistency is a big thing with goalies. I think everyone has seen a goalie run hot for a season or two and then the wheels falls or or the league figures out his weak spot. With that in mind Miller is a solid 5-10. Not that truly franchise G but a solid proven starter with a body of work that supports the argument that he is a guy who can run hot to become a franchise goalie and even when cold still is serviceable and bounces back.
Exactly, that would be the appeal of Miller. He's performed well over most of his career, even with poor defenses in front of him. That's what the Penguins need. They don't need King Henrik but they do need something, especially with a hampered ability to invest UFA dollars in shoring up their defense. With Miller at half salary they at least get that goaltender for next season while actually saving cap space (if they send back MAF).

Old
06-07-2013, 02:47 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Craig Custance just tweeted that Chuck Fletcher says "Goaltending is our no. 1 priority to address" this off-season. Not sure how to link tweets from my phone. Add Minnesota to the list.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I think addressing goaltending still means the possibility of re-signing Backstrom.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Craig Custance just tweeted that Chuck Fletcher says "Goaltending is our no. 1 priority to address" this off-season. Not sure how to link tweets from my phone. Add Minnesota to the list.
Here it is:

Quote:
Craig Custance‏ @CraigCustance 1h
An examination of Minny's offseason. Chuck Fletcher: "Goaltending is our No. 1 priority to address." http://es.pn/13LxbHO ($)
https://twitter.com/CraigCustance

Here's the article he was linking to (Insider): http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...ummer-intrigue

Here's the part about goaltending:

Quote:
Backstrom's camp is in the same mode, and the goalie situation might be the most interesting part of the Wild's offseason.

Backup Josh Harding is signed for a reasonable $1.9 million, and the Wild have a talented young goalie in Darcy Kuemper providing organizational depth. But for a team that's looking to make a playoff statement now, those aren't the two goalies you pin those hopes on.

Starting netminder Backstrom earned $6 million last season and led the league with 24 wins. His save percentage dropped to .909, but he has a career save percentage of .917. Serious contract talks haven't started yet.

"Right now, we're just waiting for Minnesota to finish their meetings and go from there," Backstrom's agent, Jeff Kowall, said Thursday. "Our first step is to see what Minnesota's plans are, and hopefully there's something to be worked out."

It's an interesting time to have flexibility in goal if a deal can't be worked out with Backstrom. If Minnesota prefers to go short-term with a veteran until Kuemper proves he's ready, guys like Nikolai Khabibulin and Evgeni Nabokov should be available. If you want to spend more money, Mike Smith could hit the market if he's not comfortable with the ownership situation in Phoenix. Chicago probably won't be able to keep Ray Emery, who lost all of one game this season in 19 starts with the Blackhawks, going 17-1-0 (and getting the hook once for a no-decision) with a .922 save percentage.

And then there's the trade market. Roberto Luongo will be traded, although that contract doesn't appear to be a fit with the Wild. But Ryan Miller's term is much more reasonable and may make him the most attractive goalie available this summer. And Fletcher knows Marc-Andre Fleury well from his time in Pittsburgh. Considering the Penguins' decision to ride Tomas Vokoun in these playoffs, the possibility of a Fleury trade looks more and more likely this summer.

"[Backstrom's] our No. 1 goalie. We'll just have to see," Fletcher said. "There's a whole host of factors involved there. ... Goaltending is our No. 1 priority to address."
I sense a recognition that Minny and Backstrom both know they're not going to pay him what he can get on the open market. Buffalo would have to retain salary on Miller, though.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I sense a recognition that Minny and Backstrom both know they're not going to pay him what he can get on the open market. Buffalo would have to retain salary on Miller, though.
Retaining salary for Miller seems a given to me to ensure a worthwhile return. It's not like we'll be using that cap space this season, so there's really no reason not to outside of wanting to retain salary in a different deal e.g. Vanek.

Old
06-07-2013, 04:41 PM
gallagt01

I wonder if Fletcher would take Miller for a season with the hope that Kuemper is ready by the start of the 14-15 season?

Miller (at half salary) for Clutterbuck and a '14 first?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:43 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Here it is:

https://twitter.com/CraigCustance

Here's the article he was linking to (Insider): http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...ummer-intrigue

Here's the part about goaltending:

With us already holding Minny's 1st this year, I hope Darcy is able to shop around and make a 2013 1st a requisite for any Miller trade.I know the Wild won't give up a Coyle or Dumba, so whatever 3rd or 4th best prospect they do give up likely can be matched by a different team with a similar level prospect and who also may give us their first.I'm not trading Miller to Minnesota for just a mid tier prospect like Cuma, especially since they don't have a 1st or 2nd this year and any pick we acquire for Miller needs to be in 2013.We already got the shaft with the Regehr trade having to wait an extra year before seeing a return on it, and I don't want that to happen for one of the best trade chips the franchise has had in years.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Revelate

Dumba is their third or fourth best prospect.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:18 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
Dumba is their third or fourth best prospect.
1.Grandlund
2.Coyle/Dumba
3.Dumba/Coyle
4.Jonas Brodin
5.Zack Phillips

Regardless if Dumba is their 3rd or 4th best prospect I highly doubt they will trade him for Miller unless it was a bigger deal.I'd give them back their 2nd as a sweetener for a Miller-Dumba proposal but I don't think they'd go for it.And I don't want to trade Miller there if the return is Zack Phillips or Jason Zucker as the main piece.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Revelate

What about sending 16 back with Miller.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Lloydchristmas138

Brodin is probably their 2nd best prospect if not first, and Zucker is a very promising young forward with blazing speed. I almost like Zucker more than Coyle and would be happily surprised to get him back in a deal. Agreed on Phillips though, meh.

Lloydchristmas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Lloydchristmas138

So one would think the most likely suitors now are.....
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
St. Louis
New Jersey
NY Islanders

Without an outside chance of Phoenix, Philly, Colorado, Tampa, maybe Edm(not sold on Dubnyk)

I'm still probably most intrigued with St. Louis, they could really benefit from both Miller and Vanek.

Lloydchristmas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Exactly, that would be the appeal of Miller. He's performed well over most of his career, even with poor defenses in front of him. That's what the Penguins need. They don't need King Henrik but they do need something, especially with a hampered ability to invest UFA dollars in shoring up their defense. With Miller at half salary they at least get that goaltender for next season while actually saving cap space (if they send back MAF).
While the Penguins had average goaltending, I don't really see why so many are claiming it as their undoing in the playoffs when the offense - with all these high profile scorers - managed only 2 goals in 4 games of the ECF. I doubt that Pittsburgh will move either Crosby or Malkin but, with Staal traded last summer, they have to be looking hard at their forward corps moving ahead. Younger support players like Sutter, Neal and Kunitz didn't perform under pressure and the balance of their top 9 in the playoffs (Dupuis, Morrow, Iginla) are UFAs on the downsides of their careers and unlikely to return.

Shero may not be thrilled with Fleury's performance but I suspect he's more likely to write off this year's playoff by him than he is to dismiss a lack of depth behind Malkin and Crosby. I think the offseason moves he makes will be more about solidifying his forward corps and defense than his goaltending.

For that reason, if Regier were to approach Shero, I'd imagine that Vanek and Myers have more appeal to Pittsburgh than Miller.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
1.Grandlund
2.Coyle/Dumba
3.Dumba/Coyle
4.Jonas Brodin
5.Zack Phillips

Regardless if Dumba is their 3rd or 4th best prospect I highly doubt they will trade him for Miller unless it was a bigger deal.I'd give them back their 2nd as a sweetener for a Miller-Dumba proposal but I don't think they'd go for it.And I don't want to trade Miller there if the return is Zack Phillips or Jason Zucker as the main piece.
Brodin is #1

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
While the Penguins had average goaltending, I don't really see why so many are claiming it as their undoing in the playoffs when the offense - with all these high profile scorers - managed only 2 goals in 4 games of the ECF. I doubt that Pittsburgh will move either Crosby or Malkin but, with Staal traded last summer, they have to be looking hard at their forward corps moving ahead. Younger support players like Sutter, Neal and Kunitz didn't perform under pressure and the balance of their top 9 in the playoffs (Dupuis, Morrow, Iginla) are UFAs on the downsides of their careers and unlikely to return.

Shero may not be thrilled with Fleury's performance but I suspect he's more likely to write off this year's playoff by him than he is to dismiss a lack of depth behind Malkin and Crosby. I think the offseason moves he makes will be more about solidifying his forward corps and defense than his goaltending.

For that reason, if Regier were to approach Shero, I'd imagine that Vanek and Myers have more appeal to Pittsburgh than Miller.
I have no idea how appealing Miller would be to the Pens. But the Pens problem was they were too one dimensional. Adding Vanek and/or Myers doesn't fix that.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:45 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I think Pittsburgh would do well to get a solid D-man. While personally I don't think Vancouver would trade him after just signing him to an extension, if you believe all the speculation Edler would be a good target for them.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:49 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Edler has the same problem of every Pittsburgh defenseman right now, he sucks in his own end. They need Hamhuis/Garrison, and neither one of those is leaving Vancouver.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I thought part of the problem with the Pens was goaltending confidence and part was their defensemen's ability to actually play defense -- getting the puck back and moving it to the forwards. Miller could be a solution to the former.

Yes, they got shut down. But part of that was spending time in their own zone and not having gas in the tank going the other way.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

Quote:
I thought part of the problem with the Pens was goaltending confidence and part was their defensemen's ability to actually play defense -- getting the puck back and moving it to the forwards. Miller could be a solution to the former.
This should dispel any notions of a goaltending change in Pittsburgh:

Quote:
As the Pittsburgh Penguins embark on an off-season that figures to include significant changes, coach Dan Bylsma insists the goalie position won't be one of them.

Bylsma called Marc-Andre Fleury "a franchise goalie . . . this franchise's goalie" on Sunday, one month to the day after Tomas Vokoun made his Penguins post-season debut in place of Fleury as Pittsburgh's starter.
Quote:
"Marc-Andre Fleury, I'm not sure the definition of 'franchise goalie,' (but) he's our No. 1 goalie," Bylsma said two days after the Boston Bruins completed a stunning sweep of the Penguins in the Eastern Conference finals. "He's a No. 1 goalie for this franchise and he will be going forward.

"We were in a situation where Tomas Vokoun went into net and won the third and fourth games of a series for us and continued to play in our net. But Marc-Andre Fleury is a guy who's going to come back to our team and he's going to be the No. 1 goalie. He's going to be the franchise goalie. He's going to be this franchise's goalie."
Quote:
"I like it a lot here and don't want to go anywhere else," Fleury said. "I like the guys in the room here, and feel every year we have a chance at the Stanley Cup. So I'm hoping I can be back."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425068

Sounds pretty emphatic to me....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Ness
@KetchTime

Yeah, but if Bylsma is fired, then all of his statements about MAF are pretty much meaningless.

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote