HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dipietro plus assets in play by NYI

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by settinguptheplay View Post
Now Darth.... Really?

How do you know McKenzie was not speculating? Especially when you start off by saying "I don't think". That is opinion... yes? Can you admit to that?

Perhaps there are things you are not telling us so I will ask outright. Do you know McKenzie or anyone in an ownership/upper management position for the Vancouver Canucks? If the answer is No then please stop passing your opinion off as fact.

How does McKenzie know "fairly conclusively". Have you had a personal conversation with him? How do you know how much he knows?

Way too many "I don't know" and "I think he" comments to pass anything off as fact. How are you not seeing this? This is entry level stuff man....
Well, you can choose to discount what McKenzie was saying, and I respect that. But, I don't think that was just opinion and speculation there. I think he is about as well connected as it gets, and I think he was being a bit more conclusive than you suggest.

But, that is my opinion, and I understand how you might see things differently.

06-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
How so? You think he clears waivers?

Absolutely.

Old
06-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Ballard and Luongo are guaranteed off the roster. Hopefully Booth as well.

How are the Nucks getting rid of Luongo? Ballard, I can easily see bought out. I don't think Luongo will be that easy. In fact, I don't see VCR's situation there as a whole lot better than the Isles and Dipietro.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Well, you can choose to discount what McKenzie was saying, and I respect that. But, I don't think that was just opinion and speculation there. I think he is about as well connected as it gets, and I think he was being a bit more conclusive than you suggest.

But, that is my opinion, and I understand how you might see things differently.
That may be true but he doesn't have a very good track record with the Canucks FWIW.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:01 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
My apologies Crew. I take back calling you a liar and down grade it to spreader of misinformation!

No hate here my friend. I appreciate the conversation.
I apologize for my flying off the handle.

I'm glad these DiPietro/Luongo rumors broke at the end of May and not the start of this season. Just another 3 weeks, until the buyout week.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That may be true but he doesn't have a very good track record with the Canucks FWIW.

Fair enough. But, by the same token, Hotstove in general (and Elliot Friedman in particular) have not been bastions of predictive accuracy when it comes to the Isles. And, in fact, McKenzie has been flatly wrong about the Isles on occasion too. You may not recall, but he was predicting the Isles would pass on Taveres in the draft, for example.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:13 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
How are the Nucks getting rid of Luongo? Ballard, I can easily see bought out. I don't think Luongo will be that easy. In fact, I don't see VCR's situation there as a whole lot better than the Isles and Dipietro.
Totally agree. There is only 1 difference that I can see but it is a BIG difference. Luongo is a top 15 goalie in the NHL. RDP is no longer an NHL goalie.

1 is still an NHL asset while the other is dead weight. In that regard the 2 could not be more different.

An interesting stat for Dipietro. I am sure it must be a mistake...

2012-13 Riessersee Ger2 1 0 1 59 3 3 3.03 .000 0 -

If I read this correct RDP lost a game in which the opposing team got only 3 shots on net in 59 minutes. RDP let in all 3 shots.

Is this even possible?

Holy Sheet!!!

Old
06-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Fair enough. But, by the same token, Hotstove in general (and Elliot Friedman in particular) have not been bastions of predictive accuracy when it comes to the Isles. And, in fact, McKenzie has been flatly wrong about the Isles on occasion too. You may not recall, but he was predicting the Isles would pass on Taveres in the draft, for example.
So then wouldn't the prudent course of action be to consider the possibility, however slight? That's all Canuck fans have wanted is to discuss it as a possibility.

I mean, if we aren't going speculate on things that are unlikely to happen, we should ban the whole trade board.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:17 PM
sommervr

Friedman:
"Here's what the New York Islanders are doing with Rick DiPietro. They are letting teams know that if they are interested in taking the goalie's contract off their hands, they will try to make it worthwhile. They'll consider taking a bad contract in return, maybe even a draft pick (or picks) or prospects. Still, it won't be easy. "That will have to be one heck of an asset," said another GM. A buyout now would have DiPietro on your books until 2029."

Here is a question for the NYI fans: do you acknowledge that this statement is true? Do you acknowledge that this trade could take place in the universe that we supposedly coinhabit?

Old
06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Totally agree. There is only 1 difference that I can see but it is a BIG difference. Luongo is a top 15 goalie in the NHL. RDP is no longer an NHL goalie.
To be fair to Islander fans, some of them believe he wouldn't be picked up on waivers. If that's true, their value is pretty close despite the huge difference in play.

Now, I would say that most Canuck fans are better versed in his contract and that may be why we don't agree on that. It shouldn't be passed as truth that we know he wouldn't clear waivers though, because we don't.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So then wouldn't the prudent course of action be to consider the possibility, however slight? That's all Canuck fans have wanted is to discuss it as a possibility.

I mean, if we aren't going speculate on things that are unlikely to happen, we should ban the whole trade board
I never said that you guys shouldn't discuss it! Totally understand why this conversation started. Don't get me wrong.

On the other hand, I think you could also understand why Isles fans are not reacting positively.

Your posts are a good read, Scurr, and I've enjoyed interacting with you.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

1 is still an NHL asset while the other is dead weight. In that regard the 2 could not be more different.

An interesting stat for Dipietro. I am sure it must be a mistake...

2012-13 Riessersee Ger2 1 0 1 59 3 3 3.03 .000 0 -

If I read this correct RDP lost a game in which the opposing team got only 3 shots on net in 59 minutes. RDP let in all 3 shots.

Is this even possible?

Holy Sheet!!!
RDP is not even top 15 in the freakin' AHL!

Old
06-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I never said that you guys shouldn't discuss it!
Maybe not but you guys have really taken the fun out of it by giving it a 0% chance of happening

Old
06-05-2013, 09:30 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
Friedman:
"Here's what the New York Islanders are doing with Rick DiPietro. They are letting teams know that if they are interested in taking the goalie's contract off their hands, they will try to make it worthwhile. They'll consider taking a bad contract in return, maybe even a draft pick (or picks) or prospects. Still, it won't be easy. "That will have to be one heck of an asset," said another GM. A buyout now would have DiPietro on your books until 2029."

Here is a question for the NYI fans: do you acknowledge that this statement is true? Do you acknowledge that this trade could take place in the universe that we supposedly coinhabit?
a key part of the published rumor: Snow is looking to bring back a bad contract. DiPietro+ an asset for a bad contract.

Of course a trade could be made . Most of the hockey writers and hockey analysts who have commented on the situation, think it's very unlikely a trade gets made.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 06-05-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old
06-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe not but you guys have really taken the fun out of it by giving it a 0% chance of happening

LOL.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:34 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Friedman:

I would say the bold part is very key to the chances of Dipietro being traded. If one looks at Loungo as a bad contract then a deal is possible, if one looks at Loungo as having positive value(which I personally think he might not have alot of positive value but he does have some) then I don't think Loungo will be coming back to the Island anytime soon.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:34 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Not like you understand, but when you're the laughingstock of the league for a very extended period of time, you get defensive and it becomes second nature. I know I have and I apologize if I have offended anyone.

This whole scenario is pretty remote, but because it's the Isles - all Isles fans are still a little scared that we'll see yet another move. For the first time in a long time, the team is looking good and yet we still can't enjoy it without thinking the other shoe is going to drop. There only so many blindside shots you can take before you go down for the count.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:43 PM
sommervr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
That info you posted is missing a key part of the published rumor: Snow is looking to bring back a bad contract. DiPietro+ an asset for a bad contract.

Of course a trade could be made . Most of the hockey writers and hockey analysts who have commented on the situation, think it's very unlikely a trade gets made.
That quote covers the possibility of taking on bad contracts in return. It does not stipulate a bad contract as a requirement of a trade.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That quote covers the possibility of taking on bad contracts in return. It does not stipulate a bad contract as a requirement of a trade.
So, here is my challenge to you: I would like you to find one single instance where Friedman predicted something about the Isles that wasn't reported by NEWSDAY which later turned out to be true. To make this easy, I will put no time limits on it whatsoever. You can go back to the start of Friedman's career with HOTSTOVE or any other forum, and find one single instance of him scooping the Isles beat reporter at NEWSDAY, If you can do that, we'll concede the point.

Doesn't have to be anything major - it could even be a waiver claim or a signing.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:51 PM
boredmale

Quote:
I think one can safely assume it's a key part of making a trade that works for both sides

Old
06-05-2013, 10:04 PM
sommervr

Quote:
So, here is my challenge to you: I would like you to find one single instance where Friedman predicted something about the Isles that wasn't reported by NEWSDAY which later turned out to be true. To make this easy, I will put no time limits on it whatsoever. You can go back to the start of Friedman's career with HOTSTOVE or any other forum, and find one single instance of him scooping the Isles beat reporter at NEWSDAY, If you can do that, we'll concede the point.

Doesn't have to be anything major - it could even be a waiver claim or a signing.
Not sure why the Isles would leak this outside normal channels. Perhaps so they could dismiss it later if required? The proposal doesn't appear very popular with the loyal fans.

Just speculation of course.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Isles Junkie

Do people really think there's a good chance Luongo would be picked up on waivers? What team would do that to themselves?

Old
06-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
Do people really think there's a good chance Luongo would be picked up on waivers? What team would do that to themselves?
A team that doesn't care about a 1.6m cap penalty in what will likely be an 80m cap era for the advantage of having a great gooaltender at a discounted price for the next 5ish years.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:24 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Big diference. On sucks and can never again play in the NHL and has 8 years to run on a contract. The other can provide full value for the duration of his contract.

Scott Gomez was not even comparable.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
A team that doesn't care about a 1.6m cap penalty in what will likely be an 80m cap era for the advantage of having a great gooaltender at a discounted price for the next 5ish years.
Discount capwise sure, discount payroll wise not so much. Not every team are free spenders(and those are the one that will have less issue with their being a caphit near the end of the deal)

Closed Thread