HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
  #751
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Bauer X5 worst skate ever.

Me and 2 teammates all have the same skate and all three of us have extreme pain most of the time after skating for a little while with them. Then when you take them off you cant put your foot down because your in so much pain.

They never fully break in and the pain never goes away, i have mine for 6 months, and they have had it for a year.
Are you talking about the Bauer Vapor X5.0? If so I've skated on mine only about 5 times and already they are broken in with minimal pain after skating. Sounds like a poor fitting from the start and not the skate.

ChiTownHawks is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 06:16 PM
  #752
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
Yeah it sounds like you did not get a proper fitting skate for you. Don't blame the skate!

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
05-12-2013, 10:27 PM
  #753
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
We were all properly fitted!!

Green Blob* is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 12:39 AM
  #754
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,473
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
You could just have stupid feet (like me). When I used to play, I was always in IMMENSE pain every time I skated. It was due to my insanely high arches that went undiagnosed until about 2 years ago. I actually quit playing due to the pain. If I had been properly diagnosed before that, I may still be playing.

Well, maybe not with my shot knees. But that's another story entirely

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline  
Old
05-13-2013, 08:51 AM
  #755
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
We were all properly fitted!!
I'm sorry but that seems unlikely. Extreme pain from skating means your skates don't fit properly.

I have the same skates as you and I have zero pain after skating and I've only been using them for about a month.

ChiTownHawks is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:53 PM
  #756
str8shooter
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I'm sorry but that seems unlikely. Extreme pain from skating means your skates don't fit properly.

I have the same skates as you and I have zero pain after skating and I've only been using them for about a month.
I have to step in and help sort this out... A lot of guys appear to be properly fitted because their skate seems to fit into a boot alright in store but the fitter should know the nature of the boot and the person's foot to make an educated guess on whether or not it will work on ice. The blame here is placed on whoever was doing the fitting.

I've even see this happen in cases of custom skates, talk about a major faux paus. I was at a rival store one time, just checking it out, and saw this happen personally. The employee just wants the damn money, how many hockey shop workers really care about someone else's foot?


Last edited by str8shooter: 05-17-2013 at 02:21 AM.
str8shooter is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 09:34 AM
  #757
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Bauer X5 worst skate ever.

Me and 2 teammates all have the same skate and all three of us have extreme pain most of the time after skating for a little while with them. Then when you take them off you cant put your foot down because your in so much pain.

They never fully break in and the pain never goes away, i have mine for 6 months, and they have had it for a year.
Let me guess:

They feel great when you first put them on and in warmups. Then your feet start to get sore and there's a bit of pain behind the ball of the foot towards the end of the skate. Afterwards when you take them off, there's extreme pain in that area and you can't put any weight on your foot because it hurts so bad. Then it finally subsides and you feel fine?

Jarick is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:03 AM
  #758
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Tried on the APX2s the other day - really impressed with the fit/forward flex. A bit softer than I expected, but plenty of support none the less.

One thing was the balls of my feet felt tight, the left wasn't bad, just enough to notice it, but would certainly loosen up. The right worried me, it was about as tight as I could possibly take, bordering on painful. Luckily, it was before the toe cap (and it's stitching), in ankle socks (thicker than my skate socks) and using unmodified stock foot beds (that have those flaps that pop up). So I figure a mixture of baking, trimming/replacing the footbeds, and skate socks should be plenty to fix it. And if not, I can punch the area.

The next hurdle is the price tag, maybe by Xmas I'll be able to afford them - I just hope my 40s last that long.

NYRSinceBirth is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:09 AM
  #759
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
I have to step in and help sort this out... A lot of guys appear to be properly fitted because their skate seems to fit into a boot alright in store but the fitter should know the nature of the boot and the person's foot to make an educated guess on whether or not it will work on ice. The blame here is placed on whoever was doing the fitting.

I've even see this happen in cases of custom skates, talk about a major faux paus. I was at a rival store one time, just checking it out, and saw this happen personally. The employee just wants the damn money, how many hockey shop workers really care about someone else's foot?
Disagree, the fitter is limited. They do not have their foot in the boot, they also do not know how the skater skates. They have to ask the right questions and expect reliable answers. You can't blame the fitter just because you told them the the skates felt great in the store walking around but doesn't seem to work for some reason when on the ice. No one has a crystal ball.

Have you ever done fittings before? What if someone that you deem has a wide foot comes in and insists that a Vapor D width is the best? Because you should 'care' so much about their foot that you would insist right back? Your job is to fit, explain and offer alternatives, but ultimately to make a sale if you can. If they insist despite your best intentions, you take their money and perhaps include a mention on the receipt that the skates were not fitted your way. That's it.

Feet are organic, things change, everyone is different and everyone has to pitch in and help rectify the issue.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 04:32 PM
  #760
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Disagree, the fitter is limited. They do not have their foot in the boot, they also do not know how the skater skates. They have to ask the right questions and expect reliable answers. You can't blame the fitter just because you told them the the skates felt great in the store walking around but doesn't seem to work for some reason when on the ice. No one has a crystal ball.

Have you ever done fittings before? What if someone that you deem has a wide foot comes in and insists that a Vapor D width is the best? Because you should 'care' so much about their foot that you would insist right back? Your job is to fit, explain and offer alternatives, but ultimately to make a sale if you can. If they insist despite your best intentions, you take their money and perhaps include a mention on the receipt that the skates were not fitted your way. That's it.

Feet are organic, things change, everyone is different and everyone has to pitch in and help rectify the issue.
This. You're presenting information and letting them make the decision. Serve up a buffet but don't tell someone what to eat.

NYRSinceBirth is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 05:33 PM
  #761
str8shooter
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Disagree, the fitter is limited. They do not have their foot in the boot, they also do not know how the skater skates. They have to ask the right questions and expect reliable answers. You can't blame the fitter just because you told them the the skates felt great in the store walking around but doesn't seem to work for some reason when on the ice. No one has a crystal ball.

Have you ever done fittings before? What if someone that you deem has a wide foot comes in and insists that a Vapor D width is the best? Because you should 'care' so much about their foot that you would insist right back? Your job is to fit, explain and offer alternatives, but ultimately to make a sale if you can. If they insist despite your best intentions, you take their money and perhaps include a mention on the receipt that the skates were not fitted your way. That's it.

Feet are organic, things change, everyone is different and everyone has to pitch in and help rectify the issue.
Very good post overall. Both the fitter and the person being fitted have to understand how the skate really should fit or it won't come out right. Of course, you cannot force them but it's very reasonable to express that point. They're paying so they get to make that decision but a good fitter should point it out. My point is that not all fitters will even do that.

str8shooter is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:20 PM
  #762
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
Then what are you saying? First, you make a broad sweeping statement that people who appear to have had no issues in store followed by issues out of store should always blame the fitter, then you say that poor fitters do not point out discrepancies that they normally should.

Sorry, but I don't follow.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 07:54 PM
  #763
ccarrigan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarrigan View Post
If anyone can help point me in the right direction, I would LOVE some help finding some skates that finally fit my feet properly. Here's a little about me:

5'11", maybe 220. Play 3-5 times a week at C or a bit higher level. Currently wear D width CCM U+ 10.

The issues:

Forefoot is too small, if I lace the first 3 laces tight at ALL my toes bunch and cramp my foot. Midfoot I can't crank down on as my foot is too tall and it cuts off circulation. I have to crank down on the top of the skates due to my skinny ankles and I think the only thing preventing lace bite is the nice tongue. (my ankles are different sizes because of a previous hockey injury but a baking should help that)

We don't have any great stores here in Columbus Ohio so before I went out or ordered online I wanted to see what my next options should be. I was looking at the Nexus 800s, but I'm up for any suggestions.
I'm quoting myself so that I can give an update and ask a question. I was able to try on some Nexus 400s and I did fail the pencil test right around the mid of the lacing curve (4-6 eyelets from the top?). One one eyelet it was pretty apparent, the other two around it were minor. The shop I went to in Columbus won't be getting the 600s or 800s but I'm wondering, would the 600 or 800 have any more room in that area? What about in an E? Would that give me a smidge more volume? Or is the 400 a good test on what I'll be getting.

ccarrigan is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
  #764
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
To the EE difference, likely, though you should be compensating for volume with a wider skate if you don't need the width. The effects of volume may differ for everyone. To the higher models, possible, as a post bake will allow the foot to sink in more if it's needed. Try them.

How about CCM?

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 11:47 AM
  #765
ccarrigan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
To the EE difference, likely, though you should be compensating for volume with a wider skate if you don't need the width. The effects of volume may differ for everyone. To the higher models, possible, as a post bake will allow the foot to sink in more if it's needed. Try them.

How about CCM?
I currently have CCM U+ 10s and they are too small in the toe box and volume wise (heel to mid skate, depth). The Nexus 400s I tried on were just a little pinchy in the toe area and a little off on the pencil test. Problem is that I can't try on any higher models unless I order online... Do you think it's worth it to order in some Nexus 800s to try?

ccarrigan is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 01:43 PM
  #766
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
Are you obligated to buy?

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
  #767
ccarrigan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Are you obligated to buy?
Not that I know of. It would be from Hockey Monkey or somewhere like that. I'm up for any other suggestions if you have any. I'm just out of stores in my area.

ccarrigan is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 03:56 PM
  #768
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
If you are willing to order and then anticipate a return if they don't fit, then go for Nexus. Just make sure you fully understand their return policies.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 10:35 AM
  #769
rk50
Registered User
 
rk50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Any tips on in-line skates? Looking for a mid-range pair ($200-300) because my old pair of Tours need replaced. I was never fitted for them just bought them because they were on sale and I don't like a Hi/Lo setup. Can't say they are uncomfortable, but my foot can go a bit numb during the middle/end of a game. I was fitted for a pair of ice skates about 2 years ago and got set up with CCM U+. Any recommendations/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

rk50 is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 09:50 PM
  #770
STL Blues Fan
Registered User
 
STL Blues Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 444
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk50 View Post
Any tips on in-line skates? Looking for a mid-range pair ($200-300) because my old pair of Tours need replaced. I was never fitted for them just bought them because they were on sale and I don't like a Hi/Lo setup. Can't say they are uncomfortable, but my foot can go a bit numb during the middle/end of a game. I was fitted for a pair of ice skates about 2 years ago and got set up with CCM U+. Any recommendations/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
I just bought the reebok 7k pumps a few weeks ago and they r the best skates I've ever had. I can't speak for the wheels but the lace lock feature is pretty cool because I've always had problems getting my skates tight enough but not no more. Then the pumps pump up small air pockets in the ankles so u can give that a custom fit also so u don't even have to get them that tight when u tighten them. Also they use all 4 80mm wheels which is super fas and have a really cool, good labeda chassis. I bought labeda addiction wheels and Swiss bearings for them but the wheels and bearings that come with them should be ok for awhile also. I got them from total hockey for $269.99 and I usually wear a size 11 or 11.5 in shoes and got a 9.5 and they fit perfect.
http://www.totalhockey.com/product/7...6-41/?mtx_id=0

STL Blues Fan is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 09:25 AM
  #771
rk50
Registered User
 
rk50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Blues Fan View Post
I just bought the reebok 7k pumps a few weeks ago and they r the best skates I've ever had. I can't speak for the wheels but the lace lock feature is pretty cool because I've always had problems getting my skates tight enough but not no more. Then the pumps pump up small air pockets in the ankles so u can give that a custom fit also so u don't even have to get them that tight when u tighten them. Also they use all 4 80mm wheels which is super fas and have a really cool, good labeda chassis. I bought labeda addiction wheels and Swiss bearings for them but the wheels and bearings that come with them should be ok for awhile also. I got them from total hockey for $269.99 and I usually wear a size 11 or 11.5 in shoes and got a 9.5 and they fit perfect.
http://www.totalhockey.com/product/7...6-41/?mtx_id=0
Thanks I've been looking at Reeboks. I hear they have more room in the boot but the pump allows you to keep the heal area tight.


I've also been interested in the new Alkali brand. I've seen places say they are heat moldable which to me is unique in inline skates. Unless thats changed recently I don't know I haven't shopped for inline skates in 4-5 years.

rk50 is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 10:08 AM
  #772
STL Blues Fan
Registered User
 
STL Blues Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 444
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk50 View Post
Thanks I've been looking at Reeboks. I hear they have more room in the boot but the pump allows you to keep the heal area tight.


I've also been interested in the new Alkali brand. I've seen places say they are heat moldable which to me is unique in inline skates. Unless thats changed recently I don't know I haven't shopped for inline skates in 4-5 years.
They offered to bake my reeboks when I got them but they were so comfortable I decided not to and I stand by that still. Even tho they said I can come by and have them baked any time.

STL Blues Fan is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 06:40 AM
  #773
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
baking can only help with break in though some opt to skip. for skates of a certain caliber and above, there's no reason to recommend skipping this procedure.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 02:47 PM
  #774
ccarrigan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarrigan View Post
I currently have CCM U+ 10s and they are too small in the toe box and volume wise (heel to mid skate, depth). The Nexus 400s I tried on were just a little pinchy in the toe area and a little off on the pencil test. Problem is that I can't try on any higher models unless I order online... Do you think it's worth it to order in some Nexus 800s to try?
Ok, so I went to my LHS today as they had a Nexus 600 in a size 9 available. I tried it on and it failed most eyelets, some by a large margin. Especially around mid and lower. There was a Supreme as well that was better (it was a regular width, so too narrow, but only a couple of eyelets failed).

The guy said that the area my foot is larger in isn't one that is easy to get more volume for. He measured my foot and said that it's one of the widest he had seen, and the height was bad. His suggestion was to go from my CCM U+ 10 size 9D to a CCM model size 9.5E. I looked online and they have good clearance prices but there's no returns. I'm at a loss... Any ideas anyone?

ccarrigan is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 03:08 PM
  #775
lilphill23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Attleboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 69
vCash: 390
OMG!!!! It has been said a million times on these boards. TRY ON YOUR SKATES!!!! Don't just use your LHS as a fitting station.

lilphill23 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.