HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2013, 09:25 PM
  #76
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
What ever we do, we MUST keep our 34th and 36th picks. I would NOT be ok with moving up a few posts and losing one of these. It would be incredibly stupid in such a deep draft.

Hell, if our main targets at 25 are already gone, I'd even be willing to trade out of the 1st round completely to pick up another early 2nd rounder and another 3rd or 4th. It's THAT deep of a draft. Three early 2nd's would be incredible.
Same here. Trading down would really be awesome.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
  #77
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,394
vCash: 250
I wouldn't mind trading our later second and/or Dallas pick to move up

PricerStopDaPuck is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 09:30 PM
  #78
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
#25
Adam Erne Left Wing
Height 6.01 -- Weight 210 -- Shoots L
He's improving every year. He'll probably end up 6'2" 225lbs. Can score, isn't afraid to hit and play in the dirty areas. I would say he'll end up a powerforward. I compare him to James Neal.

#34
Anthony Mantha Right Wing
Height 6.04 -- Weight 190 -- Shoots L
I hope this guy falls to our second round. He's big, needs to work on skating, but has great hands. He'll bring size and skills to the team. Reminds me of Bryan Bickell/Todd Bertuzzi.

#36
Laurent Dauphin Center
Height 6.00 -- Weight 165 -- Shoots L
He's a bit undersize but he'll fill out his 6'0 frame 190lbs. What separates him is that I think he's an effortless skater and amazing hands. Reminds me of Simon Gagne.
Mantha won't be there at 25, let alone 34.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 09:47 PM
  #79
ccgg
Registered User
 
ccgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rimouski
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
With the choices you presented, I had to go with Mantha. I really think we need to grab at least 1 pure offensive player with those top 3 picks - guys with great tools who haven't really produced like Dickinson and Bailey don't fit the bill on that criteria.

I hate how you had D's I like in both options at 34 and 36. If it had been McCoshen/Bowey, I would have gone McCoshen. Then I would have taken Dickinson ahead of Bailey, but I wouldn't really object to taking Bailey. They are basically the same player to me, both have great tools and haven't put it together. Bailey is bigger but Dickinson is better defensively.
Exactly, the goal of the game is to score more goals than the other team. It isn't the team with the biggest players that wins the Cup... even more since a lot of big players are softer than smaller player. We don't have first line talent in our system but Galchenyuk. Maybe Pacioretty because of his shot, and Gallagher with his guts. A guy like Artturi Lehkonen is an obvious choice. He will likely be there at 34/36 and he has as much upside as some top-15 players. I don't see why we should draft players like Bailey who have tools but no toolbox. Yes he has size, but why is that a factor if he doesn't use it on a consistent basis. Justin Bailey is a third rounder. Obviously, a team dumb enough will draft him early in the 2nd round, because he has a great shot and a good size (but he doesn't really use it...).

With 25/34/36, we must have one top-liner or one top-pairing d-man. Third liner/pairing can be drafted later... just think about Yan-Pavel Laplante (probably the hardest worker in this draft), Jonathan Diaby (probably the best heavyweight in the draft), Matt Buckles (saw him once, but seemed very physical with good hands), Nick Moutrey (physical and good IQ), ...

To me, it is like this:

1- Valentin Zykov
2- Ian McCoshen
2- Artturi Lehkonen
2- John Hayden
3- Jonathan Diaby
3- Yan-Pavel Laplante

ccgg is online now  
Old
06-05-2013, 09:52 PM
  #80
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Interesting tidbit.

Teams have told Poirier that he'd get pick between 20th and 40th in the draft during the interviews.

Dans ses entrevues, les équipes lui ont fait savoir qu'il serait réclamé entre le 20e et le 40e rang. Sur la liste du centre de recrutement de la LNH, le nom de Poirier apparaît au 39e rang chez les patineurs nord-américains.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/spor...medium=twitter
Kyle Woodlief was also saying this morning on TSN radio that if ever Poirier was still available at 25 and the Habs like him, that's where they need to pick him up (because he won't be available for their 2nd pick)....

Erik Estrada is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 09:52 PM
  #81
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,165
vCash: 500
I will always be really careful when comes the time to draft a bottom 6 grit guy with a really high pick. I mean, we don't know what the future holds, they may have the last laugh...but geez did we think and still think how the Oilers ****ed up their 1st pick of the 2nd round last year going with Moroz while a guy like Collberg was there. Or even a guy like Sutter when Frk was still there. Though, not in hindsight, I thought Sutter would become much better than what he showed this year but something was sure....Frk was a steal at that spot.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 10:11 PM
  #82
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I hope the Habs take McCoshen or Mueller if they are available at 25th.
Can't go wrong with either of those guys.

Fozz is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 10:47 PM
  #83
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,070
vCash: 597
Huh? Why tell this to the world?

http://www.montrealgazette.com/touch...tml?id=8484420

Quote:
The National Hockey League’s Central Scouting Service has ranked 245 North American skaters in preparation for the June 30 entry draft in Newark, N.J.

Liam Coughlin isn’t one of them.

But Coughlin, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound centre from Catholic Memorial High School in the Boston suburb of West Roxbury, was among the 56 hopefuls who attended the Canadiens’ pre-draft combine Wednesday at the team’s training facility in Brossard.

“He’s my sleeper,” said Trevor Timmons, the Canadiens’ director of amateur scouting. “He’s a strong, aggressive player. He’s been playing a lower level, but our Boston scout (Bill Berglund) recommended him.”

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
06-05-2013, 10:49 PM
  #84
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
didn't see your comment at first and thought the same thing. Come on TT! Bad omen.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 10:54 PM
  #85
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
'Cause he isn't? Only reason I see. Makes no sense to be secretive and now totally open like that. I know it's the Bergevin era and not Gauthier but there's a freakin limit.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 11:00 PM
  #86
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
Exactly, the goal of the game is to score more goals than the other team. It isn't the team with the biggest players that wins the Cup... even more since a lot of big players are softer than smaller player. We don't have first line talent in our system but Galchenyuk. Maybe Pacioretty because of his shot, and Gallagher with his guts. A guy like Artturi Lehkonen is an obvious choice. He will likely be there at 34/36 and he has as much upside as some top-15 players. I don't see why we should draft players like Bailey who have tools but no toolbox. Yes he has size, but why is that a factor if he doesn't use it on a consistent basis. Justin Bailey is a third rounder. Obviously, a team dumb enough will draft him early in the 2nd round, because he has a great shot and a good size (but he doesn't really use it...).

With 25/34/36, we must have one top-liner or one top-pairing d-man. Third liner/pairing can be drafted later... just think about Yan-Pavel Laplante (probably the hardest worker in this draft), Jonathan Diaby (probably the best heavyweight in the draft), Matt Buckles (saw him once, but seemed very physical with good hands), Nick Moutrey (physical and good IQ), ...

To me, it is like this:

1- Valentin Zykov
2- Ian McCoshen
2- Artturi Lehkonen
2- John Hayden
3- Jonathan Diaby
3- Yan-Pavel Laplante
I understand your point. But you should NEVER pick a player on what he his now. If so nichuskin and barkov would go 1-2. You need to pick a player that will be what you want him to be. For instance, Bailey has a tremendous toolbox... Now it's.wether you think this can or cannot be fixed.

Personally, seeing him dominate games in the O, I'd be happy with him. Obviously, the latter the better.

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
06-05-2013, 11:03 PM
  #87
VanNistelrooy
Registered User
 
VanNistelrooy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Habs Land
Posts: 2,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
'Cause he isn't? Only reason I see. Makes no sense to be secretive and now totally open like that. I know it's the Bergevin era and not Gauthier but there's a freakin limit.
If they invite someone to their combine who's unranked, who's not even from the area, I guess it's pretty damn clear to other teams that the player is on their list.

VanNistelrooy is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 11:24 PM
  #88
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
If they invite someone to their combine who's unranked, who's not even from the area, I guess it's pretty damn clear to other teams that the player is on their list.
No need to make an article out of it. No need to claim he's YOUR sleeper. How's a prospect sleeping for you when you actually claimed real loudly that he is? He is now awaken to say the least...

If you really want to hide somebody.....don't invite him to anything. You still are able to find out things about him in any other ways than to show the world your interest. Surely, Habs are interested....but to what degree....we'll find out June 30th.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
06-05-2013, 11:26 PM
  #89
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Liking these U-18 highlights videos

Two of my favorites for the second round, Laplante showing crazy hustle and intensity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8JavKInAjg


and Dauphin showing off slick hands and agility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut00M28FZ4Q


Craig Button shouts "Dauphin has been Canada's best player by far in the final" in case anyone missed it
Watching those clip made my love of nasty grow a lot. I will cry myself to sleep on every 27th day of the month if he's drafted by those pesky sens, hateful Bruins or those cave dwellers leafs.

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
06-06-2013, 12:24 AM
  #90
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,390
vCash: 500
Just to remind everyone, Patrice Bergeron (45th), Milan Lucic(50th) and David Krejci(63rd) were all 2nd rounders. We better get some nice players this year and not let Dauphin pass by us.

Jabba11 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 01:23 AM
  #91
Ubercron9000
Registered User
 
Ubercron9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Watching those clip made my love of nasty grow a lot. I will cry myself to sleep on every 27th day of the month if he's drafted by those pesky sens, hateful Bruins or those cave dwellers leafs.
Dauphin looks good laplante not so much.

Ubercron9000 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 04:16 AM
  #92
Runner77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
No need to make an article out of it. No need to claim he's YOUR sleeper. How's a prospect sleeping for you when you actually claimed real loudly that he is? He is now awaken to say the least...

If you really want to hide somebody.....don't invite him to anything. You still are able to find out things about him in any other ways than to show the world your interest. Surely, Habs are interested....but to what degree....we'll find out June 30th.
It's nothing but a smokescreen. Oldest trick in the book. Timmins has been at this long enough. The biggest liars at this time of year are on every team's scouting department.

Runner77 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 04:35 AM
  #93
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Looks as if Bailey's father was an NFL linebacker with the Buffalo Bills. There's the pedigree Timmins looks for. He's a very smooth skater and looks like he has a lot of potential. Going to the OHL was a big step for him, a little more time to transition and I think he could be a dominant player there. Could end up like a Chris Stewart type player. Seems like he'd be a very good pick.

Draft is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 05:38 AM
  #94
Sam I Am
Registered User
 
Sam I Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
Dauphin looks good laplante not so much.
Laplante has crazy speed but Dauphin looks really very good. Completely dominating.

Love to draft him--I wonder if he'll be available in the second round.

Sam I Am is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 06:34 AM
  #95
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best
 
Aspirine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,268
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
It's nothing but a smokescreen. Oldest trick in the book. Timmins has been at this long enough. The biggest liars at this time of year are on every team's scouting department.
OR... He tricks other scouts into thinking he is NOT his sleeper (like you said), only to hide the fact that he actually is!

Aspirine is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 07:04 AM
  #96
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Ywah, that Coughlin guy is on nobody's radar.. now he is going to be on everyoes. What a stupid, stupid move. It appears that way, anyway.

maybe Grant can shed some light?

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 07:13 AM
  #97
Dada
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Ywah, that Coughlin guy is on nobody's radar.. now he is going to be on everyoes. What a stupid, stupid move. It appears that way, anyway.

maybe Grant can shed some light?
Decoy WTK, decoyyyyy

Dada is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 07:15 AM
  #98
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Interesting tidbit.

Teams have told Poirier that he'd get pick between 20th and 40th in the draft during the interviews.

Dans ses entrevues, les équipes lui ont fait savoir qu'il serait réclamé entre le 20e et le 40e rang. Sur la liste du centre de recrutement de la LNH, le nom de Poirier apparaît au 39e rang chez les patineurs nord-américains.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/spor...medium=twitter
20th to me would be a bit high. Maybe 27-40th, will be in the discussion if he is there at 34 and 36.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm still holding to the belief that I'm comfortable in not doing so this year as we spent 3 of our first 4 picks on pure offensive players last year.

Well I mean, I'm not saying I don't want offensive players...but I'm saying I feel like we have a lot of leeway to fill in some blanks this year because of our picks last year.
The draft is still asset acquisition, I think it would be a mistake to go all out drafting for need. You CAN lean in that direction for a pick here and there as long as you're not picking a guy 20 spots lower on your list. I would hate to pass onj a 2nd liner at #36 for a guy who never plays an NHL game just because he is 6'3" or 6'4".

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
Emile poirier's scouting report in THN draft preview say his down fall is his skating and his awkward stride. I find that weird because I thought he looked fast and a above average skater
Skating technique becomes more of a factor moving up into the pros, guys with good skating technique keep improving their speed as leg strength improves, guys with poor technique tend to already be at max speed to keep up in junior/college so they struggle to keep up in the pros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
That's how I feel. I could live with physical grinder types who are just skilled enough to play great complimentary roles on scoring lines like Prust. I'd be fine with two of the better prospects of that stripe no doubt. We need those players in our system pretty badly.
Draft is still about asset acquisition, if you get a great asset and it doesn't fit what you need you can trade it for great value, a poor asset is a poor asset even if it fills a small need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
What ever we do, we MUST keep our 34th and 36th picks. I would NOT be ok with moving up a few spots and losing one of these. It would be incredibly stupid in such a deep draft.

Hell, if our main targets at 25 are already gone, I'd even be willing to trade out of the 1st round completely to pick up another early 2nd rounder and another 3rd or 4th. It's THAT deep of a draft. Three early 2nd's would be incredible.
Trading #34 or 36 to move up would have to be at least 10 spots in the draft to get a guy TT and MB see as a top 8-10 guy overall(Nurse? Horvat? Monahan? Wennberg?).


Last edited by Monctonscout: 06-06-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 07:15 AM
  #99
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Coughlin was already a subject of conversation elsewhere on hf as soon as he was mentioned as an invitee to the Habs Combine....

Erik Estrada is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 07:28 AM
  #100
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Ywah, that Coughlin guy is on nobody's radar.. now he is going to be on everyoes. What a stupid, stupid move. It appears that way, anyway.

maybe Grant can shed some light?
Nobody is going to draft a player just because another team likes him. Scouts draft players THEY like, you hear the poker face thing in round 1 where there is a lot more drama but in later rounds one team may like a guy in the 5th while another wouldn't even invite him to a tryout camp. I'm sure every NHL team knows Coughlan and the Hbas liking him won't make their view of him any better or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Laplante has crazy speed but Dauphin looks really very good. Completely dominating.

Love to draft him--I wonder if he'll be available in the second round.
Laplante is a guy who's legs go 100 miles an hour, high energy guy. Not a great natural skater but goes "fast" with energy. I think he is a guy TT and MB really like, not sure which pick they would taget him...maybe Habs 2nd or Dallas 3rd. He won't be there at #85.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Looks as if Bailey's father was an NFL linebacker with the Buffalo Bills. There's the pedigree Timmins looks for. He's a very smooth skater and looks like he has a lot of potential. Going to the OHL was a big step for him, a little more time to transition and I think he could be a dominant player there. Could end up like a Chris Stewart type player. Seems like he'd be a very good pick.
He'd be an ideal pick at #55, a bit risky at #34 or 36 with the players who should be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Just to remind everyone, Patrice Bergeron (45th), Milan Lucic(50th) and David Krejci(63rd) were all 2nd rounders. We better get some nice players this year and not let Dauphin pass by us.
Reason #5,875 not to pass on guys like Petan, Dauphin etc for big goofs with no skill in the early rounds. Marchand was also #71 in the 3rd round. For all the talk of the Big Bad Bruins they're all bout skill guys like Bergeron Krejci Marchand and Rask in nets. No doubt Chara, Lucic and Horton play a big role but without the other 4 they are playing golf, not hockey in May and June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I will always be really careful when comes the time to draft a bottom 6 grit guy with a really high pick. I mean, we don't know what the future holds, they may have the last laugh...but geez did we think and still think how the Oilers ****ed up their 1st pick of the 2nd round last year going with Moroz while a guy like Collberg was there. Or even a guy like Sutter when Frk was still there. Though, not in hindsight, I thought Sutter would become much better than what he showed this year but something was sure....Frk was a steal at that spot.
Read my quote above...Marchand Krejci Bergeron etc. Would be a shame to pass on a top 6 forward or top 4 d-man to draft the next Ian Schultz or Mike Blunden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Kyle Woodlief was also saying this morning on TSN radio that if ever Poirier was still available at 25 and the Habs like him, that's where they need to pick him up (because he won't be available for their 2nd pick)....
I like Poirier, but I hope we have somebody higher on our list than him at #25. At #34 and 36 yes, he belongs in the conversation. Like Mantha you have to consider that he is around 5-6 months older than the average 2013 draft prospect.

Monctonscout is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.