HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why the playoffs are still in reach

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
By the Oilers gaining 5 points, that has to mean the other teams are not gaining any. I didn't say it wasn't possible. It certainly is.
I didn't say that they would do it in the next 3 games, I meant over the course of 44 games. That means that over the course of every 9 games the Oil have to gain 1 point on L.A. They need 1 point more than Minn in the rest of the season....

Quote:
But think of the odds. The Oilers have to leapfrog 4 teams to make the 8th spot.
They had to beat 8 teams from the beginning of the season to make the playoffs. Did that make it impossible?

Quote:
It's a hard, long uphill battle that's going to have a lot of things go right.
Either that or they're going to have to win two more games than L.A. out of the next 44. They need one more tie than Minny gets. Etc etc...

Old
01-05-2004, 08:16 PM
kruezer

All I can really say is that this is gonna be one huge dogfight this year, the west may not be as strong as in the past, but it is definetaly a more level playing field among more teams this year IMO.

Old
01-05-2004, 08:31 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
This is definitely one of our hotstreaks that we have every season. But let's be honest here. We beat Minnesota and Chicago, tied Minnesota, lost in OT to New Jersey and beat a tired Vancouver team playing on the tail end of a difficult game against a tough Calgary squad. Not exactly dominating. But sure, this is one of the Oilers' hot streaks. What happens if it ends?

What happens if we lose against the Iles and Flyers? We could easily end up 8 pts back as well. As I said, there is no room for error here.

What happens if Nashville/Anaheim/L.A/ Dallas go on a modest hot steak like ours? Where do we stand?

There's a lot of teams to hope do poorly and the odds are not great every one of them fails.
Its two wins and another team losing two games and we are suddenly tied for a playoff spot. This is not impossible people and weren't some of you just telling me that Minnesota was better than us?? Guess not!

We just played a game in Chicago travelled all the way to New Jersey (look at a map and tell me that was an easy trip) and basically got a point out of the Stanley Cup Champions.

Yes we could lose all three of the next games and we could also win all three too. I am not saying the Oilers can afford to gas a lot of games. BUT If we can gain 4 points in a weeks time on those SAME teams ahead of us then surely we can gain 4 points in 42 games against those same teams.

Secondly those points against a tired Vancouver are not worth less than 2 points against Colorado, they were still used to gain 4 points in a week against the SAME teams that you were trying to tell me that it is virtually impossible to gain 4 points on in two months!!

The NHL is not going to take those points back because you thought they were unworthy opposition. :p

During our modest hot streak obviously some of those teams were losing weren't they or we wouldn't have gained that 4 points? So obviously they aren't even all hot now.

During a MODEST hot streak we gained four points in just over a week, imagine if we go on a 4 game winning streak.

The teams directly ahead of us are basically .500 teams and that is why it was so easy to gain 4 points on a MODEST points streak. They are all not suddenly going to turn into great teams. Minnesota struggled and we caught them.

The Oilers obviously have to take care of business but if they keep on getting points like they have been lately they will garner a playoff spot.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 01-05-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old
01-05-2004, 08:46 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I didn't say that they would do it in the next 3 games, I meant over the course of 44 games. That means that over the course of every 9 games the Oil have to gain 1 point on L.A. They need 1 point more than Minn in the rest of the season....

They had to beat 8 teams from the beginning of the season to make the playoffs. Did that make it impossible?

Either that or they're going to have to win two more games than L.A. out of the next 44. They need one more tie than Minny gets. Etc etc...
Well said.

Closed Thread