HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ESPN: Mark Messier Interview!!!

Old
10-09-2006, 03:00 PM
QuiteFranklyESPN

vCash: 500
ESPN: Mark Messier Interview!!!

Special Invitation – NY Ranger Fans!

Join Quite Frankly for our Exclusive interview with

Former NY Rangers Captain…Mark Messier

* Pizza, Beverages, Prizes & Giveaways *

We would like to offer you FREE tickets to ESPN’s only sports talk show in NYC, where children 12 and older are invited to be a part of our All Star studio audience. Tickets are EXTREMELY limited to this show!
● Celebrities ● Interviews ● Sports News ●

Stephen A. Smith host of Quite Frankly, brings his journalistic experience, unique point of view and opinionated edge to ESPN’s only sports talk show with an interactive studio audience…

Show Day: Thursday, October 12th

Show Time: 5:00pm (Times subject to change)
***Check-in by 3:30pm

Studio Location: Hotel Pennsylvania @ 15 Penn Plaza
Across from the world famous Madison Square Garden

For FREE Ticket Reservations:

Email: AudienceServices@ESPN.com

*Be sure to include your first and last name, telephone number with area code and the amount of tickets you would like so we can place you on our show day guest list. You will receive a reply via email with your show day information if your reservation has been accepted!

Airs weeknights at 11:00pm on ESPN2
www.ESPN.com/QuiteFrankly

QuiteFranklyESPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 03:08 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Stephen A. Smith talks hockey? That's new to me.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Balej20*

As a hockey player, I would feel so embarassed to be on that guys show. As a hockey fan, there is no way I would tune in to watch that guy talk hockey.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

He had on Gary Bettman towards the begining of last season. He isnt half bad, I would go to the show if I didnt already have school. Give it a chance people, he honestly wasnt bad when talking to Bettman

EDIT: Does that mean ESPN is getting intrested in hockey again????????

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 03:57 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

HAHAHAHA this is a funny thread.

I hope the interview is smooth and the legend Mark doesn't get too embarrassed...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Come on guys, you complain all the time that ESPN and other media outlets ignore hockey, and then when there actually is something related to hockey, you all spite it. Is it any wonder ESPN doesn't take the sport seriously?

I don't watch sports talk TV, so I have no idea whether this guy is good or bad, but the only way to get more hockey-related content on TV is to support it when it is offered.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Come on guys, you complain all the time that ESPN and other media outlets ignore hockey, and then when there actually is something related to hockey, you all spite it. Is it any wonder ESPN doesn't take the sport seriously?

I don't watch sports talk TV, so I have no idea whether this guy is good or bad, but the only way to get more hockey-related content on TV is to support it when it is offered.
The problem is, I have a hard time listening to ignorant sports reporters talking about hockey, and I feel I speak for most hockey fans when I say this. They don't bother taking the time to study up on the sport before covering it. So in the end, it makes the sport look even worse, because if the big sports coverage station doesn't know what they are talking about interms of hockey, why should anyone else want to follow it?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 05:42 PM
nexusrage21

I actually like Stephen A. Smith. He's talks well about the things he knows about, but he doesn't make assumptions about things he doesn't know about. He might state an opinion as an opinion without being able to back it up, but he doesn't declare it fact like some talk show hosts do.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:13 PM
dank

i responded, hopefully they'll give me some tickets, and i'll be able to go.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
The problem is, I have a hard time listening to ignorant sports reporters talking about hockey, and I feel I speak for most hockey fans when I say this. They don't bother taking the time to study up on the sport before covering it. So in the end, it makes the sport look even worse, because if the big sports coverage station doesn't know what they are talking about interms of hockey, why should anyone else want to follow it?
I understand what you're saying; however, I feel we're not in a position of strength as hockey fans. If we want to see more hockey coverage on TV and in print, we have to support what is there and make the media outlets pay attention. Make it worthwhile for them to improve the coverage.

Actually, I'm quite impressed that someone knew that it would be a good idea to post on these boards. There must be a hockey fan somewhere in their production staff, because even though we all know these are the best hockey boards around, I'd be surprised if they're well known outside the hockey-fan community.

Anyway, if you're not interested in going for the questions, you should go for the answers. The big draw is not the host, but Messier. I think it'd be great to go and see him give an interview in person. Besides, if nexusrage is right, then the host shouldn't be bad either. Too bad I'll be working.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:18 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

I'm pretty sure Stephen A. Smith played college hockey.

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:21 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post

Understood, but if they had personality that actually KNEW what hockey was about - and how offsides is called, icing... how a zamboni doesnt really clean the ice... etc. I think us fans would be more appreciative and tune in then rather go into the interview ready to criticize the interviewer instead of where the focus should be, the interviewee.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 07:58 PM
DutchShamrock

Couldn't agree more, 007. I just got done reading this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=298733 and I'm sure others here have too. What I don't get is how we as hockey fans complain out of one side of our mouth about how poor the coverage is and then out the other we openly boycott people willing to talk about the sport. Intelligent. I think the low ratings will help inspire them to double their efforts to bring us back as hard core hockey fans.

Look, the hockey fan base is loyal and fanatical. In all honesty we don't need more shows hosted by a Barry Melrose or a Keith Jones targeted at hockey fans. It doesn't draw in any more fans. They already have the hockey nuts, catering to us isn't going to make me like hockey more or watch it more. What hockey needs is to spearhead intrest into areas where hockey interest isn't established. Get the casual fan. That is how you build.

These are the reasons why the lockout didn't hurt the income of the sport. We are insane as a fan base. We live for this, of course the second they gave us back our sport we would come running. But the league won't move forward one bit until they start attracting the casual fan. We should applaud the fact that a Basketball expert is going to delve into hockey, through our idol Mark Messier no less. How as a hockey fan and a Ranger fan can any of us frown on this? Do you think he is going to insult a legend and attack the sport or treat him without the uttmost respect? Sounds hypocritical to me.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Scotty Hockey

I wonder if Smith is going to be as arrogant, condescending and clueless with Mess as he is with most other guests. I've worked with him and he is a total *****.

Messier will also be a guest on Cold Pizza soon. Another bad ESPN show that no one watches.

I don't complain about the lack of hockey coverage as I don't particularly think ESPN did a great job with it. They never devoted the resources to it that they could have.

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 08:02 AM
shoothepuck
NY Raiders AMNRL

ESPN and Hockey don't seem to go together.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:47 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstranged View Post
I wonder if Smith is going to be as arrogant, condescending and clueless with Mess as he is with most other guests. I've worked with him and he is a total *****.

Messier will also be a guest on Cold Pizza soon. Another bad ESPN show that no one watches.

I don't complain about the lack of hockey coverage as I don't particularly think ESPN did a great job with it. They never devoted the resources to it that they could have.
Oh man, Cold Pizza is terrible. I can't stand the guys on that show, and they don't deserve to be in Messier's presence. If Messier appears on that show his aura will probably make their heads explode.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 01:13 AM
Scotty Hockey

How could Mess make their head explode as they don't even know who he is? Woody is the only hockey fan on the show (Jay pretends to as he used to play in college but he is totally clueless) and he won't be doing the interview ... it will probably fall to Dana who has admitted she doesn't like hockey and has purposely tanked hockey segments in the past.

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Geogaddi

Woody would be the only hockey fan...as hes the only one i can somewhat stand.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Oh man, Cold Pizza is terrible. I can't stand the guys on that show, and they don't deserve to be in Messier's presence. If Messier appears on that show his aura will probably make their heads explode.
Quote:

Quote:
How could Mess make their head explode as they don't even know who he is? Woody is the only hockey fan on the show (Jay pretends to as he used to play in college but he is totally clueless) and he won't be doing the interview ... it will probably fall to Dana who has admitted she doesn't like hockey and has purposely tanked hockey segments in the past.

Well Smith may be arrogant.. but some of you are ignorant.. How do you know smith dosent know Who Messier's is?? Why the **** would he want him on the show if he didnt know him?? Ive watched the show a couple of times and i like the way the guy is.. He is direct and cuts to the point..He seems like a smart guy and knows what hes talking about.. Regardless if you dont like his opinions everyone has them.. Why dont you stop *****ing and crying and watch the show... give it a shot.. otherwise shut up

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 05:07 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Stephen A.Smith is annoying.Holla at your boy

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:29 PM
DutchShamrock

If the majority of you are saying, "I'd rather Hockey not be on tv if people like Stephen A. Smith and shows like Cold Pizza are the ones talking" then I think you will get your wish. As they say, beggars can't be choosers. Exposure fellas, get over yourselves.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:39 PM
luvmessnyr

Got tickets!

Well, I got a reservation letter for 2 tickets, All that gets me is a wait in line to see if I can get in. Does anyone know if you can bring cameras in? Anyone else request tickets and get them? Looking forward to seeing Mess and then hitting the Ranger game!
Thanks

luvmessnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 01:24 PM
QuiteFranklyESPN

Mark Messier Taping

Hello.

If you have a reservation you will have no problem getting in as long as you are there by check-in time. Cameras are permitted in the studio but you can only take pictures after the show if the guest and security permits it.

Audience Services

QuiteFranklyESPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 01:48 PM
luvmessnyr

Quite Frankly taping

Do you know if Mark will be an in studio guest or will he just be broadcast over a monitor. I'm traveling 90 miles to get there and taking my children out of school so I'd be curious to know.
Thanks!

luvmessnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Drewr15

I don't know who Stephen Smith is but somehow I can't see Messier sitting there and letting him be condescending about hockey or to Messier at all. I highly doubt Mess would let that fly at all.

Drewr15 is offline   Reply With Quote