HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

October an "easy" month

Old
10-09-2006, 11:38 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
October an "easy" month?

http://newyorkrangers.com/tickets/schedule.asp

Looking at the schedule for this month and incorporating the fact that they are 2 for 2, i can see a very succesful start if they can take advantage of it.

After todays off day the Rangers will play every other day against stiff competition (PHI, PIT, @BUF, NJ, NSH) until next thursday. But only one of those on the road. Seems normal.

But...

Then theyll be off for two days again and travel to Toronto and then come back Home to face Florida in the misdt of 2 games in a 9 night stretch, a very restful week indeed.

In the month of October alone they have three - 2 day rest periods and one 3 day rest period which is unheard of this time of year... which comes back to bite them in December for a crazy month.

The 8 days off in 11 days (17th - 27th) presents a ton of time to get the Power Play together and work on systems. a TON of time.

A very light October, hopefully the coaching staff will have them ready for those games sandwiched between off time and utilize that practice time to its fullest.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 10-09-2006 at 11:45 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 11:54 AM
in the hall

I don't think it's easy at all.. PHI, PHI, BUF, NJ, NSH are all good teams and Pit looks like they can take you by surprise and with that talent you should be scared

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:02 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

When i say "easy" im talking about the # of games played and rest time... The competition is stiff like i said... but as far as the wear and tear on the players and preparation for the rest of the season it should be good month for that. Thats why i put the word easy in quotes - nothing is easy in this sport.

Looking at the other teams in the division, their schedules also have a pretty decent amount of off time... all with a pretty decent stretch of practice time around the same week as the Rangers do.

IM looking at this purely from a time management perspective. As we all know it's crucial in the beginning of the year to get that Power Play working and on the right track and there is the availabilty this month to do that.

Look at December and youll see a month thats "not easy"...

Old
10-09-2006, 12:15 PM
broadwayblue

1 game at a time. Although Renney looks at the season in 5 game blocks. So far they're 2-0 in the first block. It's good that they have extra rest/practice days now, so they can work on their PP as you say.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Don't mean to sound cliche, but you can't look ahead like that.

Our next game is vs PHI.

Lets go 3-0 and keep the Flyers winless

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:24 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
I don't think it's easy at all.. PHI, PHI, BUF, NJ, NSH are all good teams and Pit looks like they can take you by surprise and with that talent you should be scared
I agree. Doesn't look easy to me...

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Fletch

I think the coaches...

look ahead. The focus is obviously on the next game and getting out the wrinkles, but I think many coaches look at the schedule and divide it up into a bunch of mini seasons and determine their game plans accordingly.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 01:13 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Don't mean to sound cliche, but you can't look ahead like that.

Our next game is vs PHI.

Lets go 3-0 and keep the Flyers winless
YES i agree.. these are important points... remember last season?

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 05:26 PM
NYR469

the big plus to the way the schedule is setup this month is more days off means more practice time early in the year. and hopefully that means finding solutions to the pp and other stuff

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
look ahead. The focus is obviously on the next game and getting out the wrinkles, but I think many coaches look at the schedule and divide it up into a bunch of mini seasons and determine their game plans accordingly.
I think your correct, i'm pretty sure Renney separates them into somthing like 4-6 games per block . Not 100% positive on the amount of games but its something to that effect. Which to me is a much better way to do it, that way the team doesnt worry about a game three weeks away, rather they spend time preparing for the teams in the up comming block of say 4. To me thats smart on the coaching staff's part.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:06 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I think your correct, i'm pretty sure Renney separates them into somthing like 4-6 games per block . Not 100% positive on the amount of games but its something to that effect. Which to me is a much better way to do it, that way the team doesnt worry about a game three weeks away, rather they spend time preparing for the teams in the up comming block of say 4. To me thats smart on the coaching staff's part.
I guess you guys must have me blocked or something. I posted above about Renney breaking the season up into 5 game blocks.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:23 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
the big plus to the way the schedule is setup this month is more days off means more practice time early in the year. and hopefully that means finding solutions to the pp and other stuff
Thats precisely what i was pointing out

Old
10-09-2006, 07:33 PM
shoothepuck

They still need to take it one game at a time, but it will be better for the players to not have back to backs till next month.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote