HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official OKC Barons 12/13 Thread:

Old
06-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Delicious Pancakes

vCash: 500
Tough loss. Grand Rapids was the better team in the 3rd.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:37 PM
CupofOil

So Lame. The Barons were easily the better 5 on 5 team. The PK and Danis let them down, absolutely awful goal to give up tie the game at 4, couldn't make a big save while Mrazek made a bunch of good saves.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:38 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
This game will become a spoiler of this Oilers' core's firs playoff elimination game if Dubnyk isn't upgraded.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:42 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
This game will become a spoiler of this Oilers' core's firs playoff elimination game if Dubnyk isn't upgraded.

Based on what? A career AHLer's playoff performance?

Let's start with getting one defenseman who can move the puck out of his own zone before we crucify a goaltender who for all purposes has developed quite nicely.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:45 PM
bewbies

Boy, the ripping on Danis is pretty myopic. He's an awesome goalie, he won more than one playoff game this year when the team played terribly. Watch a guy more than once before you start howling on the internet about him.

Also, great season! And what a game and series that was!

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Baronsfan

Great season. Hate to end it like that, but if you would've told me we would've made it this far when we were clawing to get into the playoffs I would've laughed at you.

Danis got them this far & was indoubtedly the MVP down the stretch. unfortunately laid an egg tonight on some of those goals. He's not the reason they lost this series, moreso special teams.

I would also say the line that didnt contribute in this series at all deserves some responsibility. The Stretch-Green-Pitlick line seemed to really struggle in this series. Sure was hoping Pitlick would start getting onto the scoresheet more.

Can't say enough about this group though. Showed up to battle every night and gave it their all. Futures bright folks, can't wait for next fall.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:49 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
Boy, the ripping on Danis is pretty myopic. He's an awesome goalie, he won more than one playoff game this year when the team played terribly. Watch a guy more than once before you start howling on the internet about him.

That may be, but he cost his team the game tonight.

That's a fact.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:56 PM
topchowda

I can see Fedun pushing for a spot next training camp, I believe he woulda made it last year pre leg destruction.

Davidson has also came on to my radar. I saw him as a career 2/3rd pairing AHLer. Now I see him as a top pairing AHLer, maybe even a 6th/7th D man in the NHL.

2 good stories

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 09:00 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post

He might have been good during the season and in the playoffs for the most part but he was well below par the last 2 games. He let in 3 brutal goals last night and the goal that he let in to tie the game at 4 was dreadful. Not hating on the guy, he had a good season but he let the team down the last 2 games.

In any event, it was a great season by the Barons. Lots of feel good stories from Davidson and Fedun to Rajala resurrecting his career etc.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 09:05 PM
millpoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
Great season. Hate to end it like that, but if you would've told me we would've made it this far when we were clawing to get into the playoffs I would've laughed at you.

Danis got them this far & was indoubtedly the MVP down the stretch. unfortunately laid an egg tonight on some of those goals. He's not the reason they lost this series, moreso special teams.

I would also say the line that didnt contribute in this series at all deserves some responsibility. The Stretch-Green-Pitlick line seemed to really struggle in this series. Sure was hoping Pitlick would start getting onto the scoresheet more.

Can't say enough about this group though. Showed up to battle every night and gave it their all. Futures bright folks, can't wait for next fall.
The future is nice and bright on defence for sure. Happy to see Fedun, Marcincin, Davidson become solid contributors at the AHL level. Will be great to see guys like Musil, Klefbom and (MAYBE) Gernat join them.

The forwards, on the other hand, it seems we have less to be excited about. After Lander and Hartikainen, there's not much else coming that addresses a need on the big club. And with Harti, it's clear he has a lot to work on before he starts to excel in the NHL.

As far as Rajala or Arcobello go, great stories (especially Rajala) but they're more of the same small-type players that have failed the Oilers in the fast. Not writing them off, but they're probably nothing more than trading chips or part of a core on future elite AHL teams.

As for the goalies - nothing to see here.

millpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
The future is nice and bright on defence for sure. Happy to see Fedun, Marcincin, Davidson become solid contributors at the AHL level. Will be great to see guys like Musil, Klefbom and (MAYBE) Gernat join them.

The forwards, on the other hand, it seems we have less to be excited about. After Lander and Hartikainen, there's not much else coming that addresses a need on the big club. And with Harti, it's clear he has a lot to work on before he starts to excel in the NHL.

As far as Rajala or Arcobello go, great stories (especially Rajala) but they're more of the same small-type players that have failed the Oilers in the fast. Not writing them off, but they're probably nothing more than trading chips or part of a core on future elite AHL teams.

What do the Oil need? Most notably it's D, so of course that's promising.

Bottom 6 you have Lander and Hartikainen (hopefully). Big Pitlick fan, but he is starting to really seem inept offensively. Wouldn't give up on Rajala, because as you say at the very least he could be a piece to attract something of more need.

Danis is likely gone, I think he goes to Switzerland or Sweden. So we should get a good, long look at Roy at this level next season should that happen.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 09:40 PM
millpoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
What do the Oil need? Most notably it's D, so of course that's promising.

Bottom 6 you have Lander and Hartikainen (hopefully). Big Pitlick fan, but he is starting to really seem inept offensively. Wouldn't give up on Rajala, because as you say at the very least he could be a piece to attract something of more need.

Danis is likely gone, I think he goes to Switzerland or Sweden. So we should get a good, long look at Roy at this level next season should that happen.
The defensive depth is sprouting, but it'll still be a few years until Marincin, Davidson or Fedun can hold their own in the NHL (if ever!). They might project to jump into the Oiler line up when the kids really start to hit their stride, so they're timeline isn't such a bad thing.

In my opinion, goalie is where the Oilers are in big trouble. Khabby and Danis likely both gone, and no one else coming.

With no offence in sight, Pitlick looks like a career AHLer right now. Too bad.

millpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Philly85
Moody'

They have 3 prospects on the farm who really matter right now: Lander, Hartikainen, Marincin and maybe a tie for a fourth in Fedun/Davidson. That's just not that impressive IMO, considering Lander is no sure thing to become a regular NHLer, Hartikainen could become a very good 3rd liner at his top end or more 4th line fodder and Marincin is a good 2-3 years from the show. Hopefully Klefbom really does live up to the hype because I'm not seeing a lot of stuff they'll be able to use on the big club in the near future.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Too bad. They had this game but the Griffins snatched it away. I really wish that we could have had the benefit of those players that Grand Rapids added after Game 3. Sigh.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
They have 3 prospects on the farm who really matter right now: Lander, Hartikainen, Marincin and maybe a tie for a fourth in Fedun/Davidson. That's just not that impressive IMO, considering Lander is no sure thing to become a regular NHLer, Hartikainen could become a very good 3rd liner at his top end or more 4th line fodder and Marincin is a good 2-3 years from the show. Hopefully Klefbom really does live up to the hype because I'm not seeing a lot of stuff they'll be able to use on the big club in the near future.
Honestly, I think that Anton Lander is the most important player on the farm. If the Oilers play their cards right he could be their shutdown centre (plus leadership abilities!) for a long, long time.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 12:30 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
to be far, most other AHL teams have their 1st round picks in the AHL. Ours went straight to the NHL. Second rounders in Lander, Marincin (lesser degree pitlick) are playing big roles.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:19 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post

You're right. We don't have a lot of really great offensive prospects in the AHL, but i think that is a product of us playing so many guys just after they are drafted. If we draft a forward, are we going to be patient enough to let him play another year in junior, or in a euro pro league, and then in the AHL for a year or two?

Idk.

We might be able to trade a defensive prospect for a forward prospect, considering our depth.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Smyth94
RIP kristians pelss

Send a message via MSN to Smyth94
Antti Tyrväinen is headed back to finland to play with jokerit signed a 1yr deal

http://www.eliteprospects.com/index.php

Smyth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 07:47 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
You're right. We don't have a lot of really great offensive prospects in the AHL, but i think that is a product of us playing so many guys just after they are drafted. If we draft a forward, are we going to be patient enough to let him play another year in junior, or in a euro pro league, and then in the AHL for a year or two?

Idk.

We might be able to trade a defensive prospect for a forward prospect, considering our depth.
Detroit had one 1st round pick in the GRG lineup. Riley Sheahan. A 2nd/3rd line contributor.

Lack of 1st round talent playing in the AHL isn't why OKC lost. It's the terrible Oilers drafting in the 2nd/3rd round. Hamilton, Pitlick, Martindale have been terrible. Meanwhile guys like Jurco, Tatar, and Ferraro have stepped up as key contributors.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 08:28 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Detroit had one 1st round pick in the GRG lineup. Riley Sheahan. A 2nd/3rd line contributor.

Lack of 1st round talent playing in the AHL isn't why OKC lost. It's the terrible Oilers drafting in the 2nd/3rd round. Hamilton, Pitlick, Martindale have been terrible. Meanwhile guys like Jurco, Tatar, and Ferraro have stepped up as key contributors.
They lost because their goalie was terrible.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Jurco, one of a few (Saad, Rattie, Jenner, Gibson) the Oilers drafted Musil ahead of in the 2011 second round. Stu 'The Magnificent *******' MacGregor, right?

*I like Musil more than Jurco*

Pitlick and Hamilton have a combined 20 goals in 208 games.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Tw0Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Jurco, one of a few (Saad, Rattie, Jenner, Gibson) the Oilers drafted Musil ahead of in the 2011 second round. Stu 'The Magnificent *******' MacGregor, right?

Defenceman take longer to develop.
No guarantee that any of those guy actually do well in the NHL(aside from Saad). It's not like Jurco lit up the AHL during the season. What has Gibson or Jenner or Rattie proved yet? nothing.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 12:34 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post

Lander and Marincin were both second round picks and huge contributors to OKC's success.

They also got point per game efforts out of a 4th round pick, a 6th round and an undrafted free agent.

Where players are drafted is completely irrelevant in the AHL.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post

While Musil certainly hasn't blown me away, and his footspeed needs considerable work, there's simply no reason to write him off. He's 19. Give him a shot.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:49 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

I guess this year's playoffs can be judged more successful than last years. We nearly beat Grand Rapids and they are about to sweep the team that swept Toronto last year.

Can you call Syracuse the defending champions? I guess it's a technicality.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote