HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL III

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2013, 12:53 AM
TMI
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
The genetics argument opens a whole new can of worms that I'm not ready to argue tonight. It could be a fun argument. Maybe when I'm out of this Constitutional Law class I'll have some extra free time to get into it more, but I'm honestly not prepared to give a substantive rebuttal that I can back up with facts at the moment. I'll leave that for a few weeks from now when I'm merely working my two jobs and not taking classes (ugh... I can't wait)

I will say that a lot of people work extraordinarily hard at their particular craft, perhaps as hard as professional athletes. I know attorneys who work 70+ hours per week. I know a doctor who would consider 70 hours a light week. There is a guy who owns a BBQ joint off of Murfreesboro Rd, between Murfreesboro and Smyrna (it's called CBQ and it's pretty damn good) who works 16 hour days; I'm almost certain they are open at least six days per week. My Dad is a partial owner of at least eight Sonic restaurants in East TN, and he pulls 15 hour days, five days per week, and I don't think you could convince me he is in love with working in fast food. He's just good at managing restaurants.

My point is that a lot of people work their ***** off. Genetics do play a role in success. I am not going to dispute that. It does take something unattainable merely through hard work to be truly great at something, especially a sport. At the same time, genetics don't make you great. To be truly great you need not only the inherent gift, but you need dedication, perseverance and ambition. You need the drive to continue on when most people would simply give up. It takes a substantial amount of work to ensure those genes you were granted simply through birth allow you to be a step ahead of all others.

When we neglect to applaud the immense amount of effort put into even making it into a league like the NHL, much less to be atop it, we neglect years, maybe even decades, of struggle.

Like I said, people can dislike Crosby, or any other superstar in any other sport, as much as they want to. Hell, my favorite team 20 years ago was the Penguins. I disliked Crosby for a long time, and tonight he gave me little reason to respect him. His incessant whining, though typical of superstar athletes, is almost unbearable. Personally, I would prefer people keep it to those sorts of things rather than bringing up how the kid got his bell rung one too many times.

06-02-2013, 12:51 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Also, "genetics" don't simply give one ability. It takes tremendous work ethic and years of training to hone a skill. To become arguably the best in the world at your craft? Multiply that many times.

People can hate Crosby all they want, and I don't fault them for it. The guy brings it upon himself with his whining to the officials and what not. Make it about those things. Bringing up his injuries just because you don't like him is chicken ****.

And you can call me Francis if you want to, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Cosby's injuries are being mentioned by fans on a message board. who gives a crap, really? Im sure he doesnt, so why should you?

as to your actual hockey related point, you are 100% correct... genetics gives you an opportunity but nobody is born with the ability to play a sport at an elite level

Last edited by TMI: 06-05-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: user request
Old
06-03-2013, 10:14 PM
PredsV82
No

well so much for Vokouns run to the Cup.....

Old
06-03-2013, 11:05 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I guess the Pens outscore everybody plan isn't working. It's great that they went out and got Iginla but they really needed some defense. Even Scott Hannan would've been a huge upgrade for them.

Old
06-04-2013, 12:51 AM
The PH Factor

If Vokoun is replaced for game 3 by "Beachball" Fleury then look for Boston to score another 6. Guy let in 2 major softies tonight...

Old
06-04-2013, 07:02 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Penguins defensive zone coverage was as bad as I've seen an NHL team play. Boston had all day to do what they wanted.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:13 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Penguins defensive zone coverage was as bad as I've seen an NHL team play. Boston had all day to do what they wanted.
Even when they are back, their decision making is poor. The third goal in game one ... all to one side leaving two Bruins in slot for any rebound which they pound home. I'm not sure what Latang was thinking on a couple of the goals he's been on the ice for. Bad coverage in their defensive zone ... poor decisions at their offensive blue line leading to odd man rushes ... and then getting stymied by Rask forcing them to press even more. I don't like seeing Vokoun have bad nights but I'm loving seeing the Penguins struggle even after trying to assemble an all-star team at the deadline.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 142
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130509576/1104

For the Wild lovers here. Last section on that page.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:28 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130509576/1104

For the Wild lovers here. Last section on that page.
nice. would be hilarious if all of these Minnesota home boys all signed for less money and they still didnt do squat because of Leipolds corrosive influence

Old
06-05-2013, 07:08 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Vokie getting the start after being chased from game two. Interesting.

Old
06-05-2013, 08:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
nice. would be hilarious if all of these Minnesota home boys all signed for less money and they still didnt do squat because of Leipolds corrosive influence
Hometown discounts like the ones Suter and Parise gave?

Old
06-05-2013, 08:06 PM
TMI
Global Moderator

Vokoun needs to get some damn help out there.

Last edited by TMI: 06-05-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old
06-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Conference III News: Andy McDonald announces his retirement from Hockey due to PCS

Old
06-06-2013, 01:28 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Conference III News: Andy McDonald announces his retirement from Hockey due to PCS
Too bad. You could tell he was just taking too much of a beating, physically and mentally. I don't think he played more than 30 games at a time over the last year or two.

Old
06-06-2013, 04:14 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Feel bad for Vokoun. He played a great game yesterday, Rask was just a little better and the vaunted Pens offense has scored two goals in three games. Maybe instead of talking about the "goalie controversy" the media should be talking about a team with Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Iginla, Morrow, Kunitz and Dupuis only scoring two goals in three games.

Old
06-06-2013, 10:50 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
as to your actual hockey related point, you are 100% correct... genetics gives you an opportunity but nobody is born with the ability to play a sport at an elite level
True, but I suspect that 90% of us who have an interest in sports are NOT born with the natural ability to play at an elite level. Most of us end our sporting careers in high school or adult beer leagues. We don't progress to professional sports for lack of effort or desire. We all dream of it. We just realize our limitations and focus on realistic goals. You have a handful of MVPs each year in high school sports at a particular school. That's 5 out of 100 kids at that particular school. Probably 1 in 10 of those MVP athletes, e.g. a high school conference, can advance to the minor league or D1 collegiate level. And how few of those players advance to the NHL, NFL, MLB, etc...? If a kid makes it to a D1 school or the minor leagues, they are busting their ass on and off the field. And still, very few of those kids make to the highest level in their particular sport. Why? I know there are a few exceptions, but the majority of these athletes giving it their all. So if they are training and practicing hours each day, why aren't they able to make to the next level?

Old
06-06-2013, 11:11 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
True, but I suspect that 90% of us who have an interest in sports are NOT born with the natural ability to play at an elite level. Most of us end our sporting careers in high school or adult beer leagues. We don't progress to professional sports for lack of effort or desire. We all dream of it. We just realize our limitations and focus on realistic goals. You have a handful of MVPs each year in high school sports at a particular school. That's 5 out of 100 kids at that particular school. Probably 1 in 10 of those MVP athletes, e.g. a high school conference, can advance to the minor league or D1 collegiate level. And how few of those players advance to the NHL, NFL, MLB, etc...? If a kid makes it to a D1 school or the minor leagues, they are busting their ass on and off the field. And still, very few of those kids make to the highest level in their particular sport. Why? I know there are a few exceptions, but the majority of these athletes giving it their all. So if they are training and practicing hours each day, why aren't they able to make to the next level?
you misunderstood my point. You are exactly right that most of us couldnt become pro athletes even if we dedicated every waking hour to training and practice. My point was probably 99% of those who genetically could become pro athletes still do not because they either dont end up in the right circumstances or the dont give the effort and dedication needed.

Old
06-07-2013, 02:16 PM
TMI
Global Moderator

To the good doctor's point

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...n-the-gym.html

Old
06-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Man, what a freak of nature. Plays a 2OT playoff game and is working out afterwards. Not a legend by accident.

It has to be quite the motivator if you're on a team and have a guy like that in the room.

Old
06-07-2013, 02:43 PM
TMI
Global Moderator

I liked the part about him getting on Hartnell for goofing around during practice. Harts had a hell of a season.

Also, using a golf cart wheel for a "heavy puck" is awesome. The coaching staff should adopt that for our guys.

Old
06-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Top 6 Spaling

People keep begging him to let them film it and he says no, because it gives him an advantage over other people if they don't know he does it.

Certified badass.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:14 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

2 goals in 4 games from the next one and his next one.

Shows how important grit and systems actually are.

The game is played in the corners, walls and in front of the net. If you can play there the seasons are longer.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:49 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Is it bad I have a sick Nero-esque need to watch Pitt blow up?

Old
06-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Gonchar signs with Stars 2 years 5 mil per

Old
06-08-2013, 10:26 AM
TMI
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
People keep begging him to let them film it and he says no, because it gives him an advantage over other people if they don't know he does it.

Certified badass.
Makes me wonder if this is his last year since there is a write up about it on CBC now.

Closed Thread