HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller & Galchenyuk

Old
06-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Zorro

vCash: 500
Eller & Galchenyuk

Would you be comfortable if at some point during the season ('13/'14) Eller and Galchy became our top 2 centers?

For some reason, i would be totally fine with it.

Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Uber Coca

This team should drive with three centers and balance the lines. Plekanec gets the most minutes because of the penalty kill. Galchenyuk definitely needs to see more powerplay minutes.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Would you be comfortable if at some point during the season ('13/'14) Eller and Galchy became our top 2 centers?

No. I'm done with not developing our prospects and young players properly, it doesn't lead to anything good. Be patient and look at the big picture.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Pushing Galchenyuk into a top 2 center spot next yaer would be a big development mistake.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:56 PM
25get

We have Plek, Eller and DD as top-3 centers.

Galchenyuk took 128 FO with 42.8% (even lower in PO). I guess he is ready for more minutes but not for top-2 center. He also had more PP TOI than Eller...

It is going to take another year before Galchenyuk becomes a top-3 center.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:05 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Ya I'd be cool with it, trade plek for a winger like Stewart and have DD on a 3rd scoring line, which is what his role should be.

I think Eller is ready to handle plek minutes.

Might have some grown pains with Gally so maybe have him on the 3rd line with Eller and DD as your top 2, but the return for Plek has to be great

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:08 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Anyway it is going to happen sooner or later

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

No sense in rushing it, as much as we'd love to see it.

Plekanec and DD are to take the pressure off, and Galchy might not be ready to play center yet anyway. Perhaps by the end of the season he'll have forced the teams hand, but no way do you enter the season expecting these two to carry the load.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Ya I'd be cool with it, trade plek for a winger like Stewart and have DD on a 3rd scoring line, which is what his role should be.

Might have some grown pains with Gally so maybe have him on the 3rd line with Eller and DD as your top 2, but the return for Plek has to be great
Way to contradict yourself right there.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:16 PM
yoyo999

I say let the unfolding of Alex Galchenyuk happen naturally and to not force solutions.
Keep him in the same role as last year and let it unfold as injuries and draughts happen. What if he gets injured? Then what? He's 19. He's already a good player, there's no need to rush him. We need a big top centre but we don't NEED a top centre. We finished first in the northeast.

Eller I think should be brought up to the top 6. He's outgrown his third line role and is ready to progress I feel. He's played 3 (?) years now and has shown he can take that role and run, imo

yoyo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:17 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Lol I like Him 25 30 goal scorer got some size

Old
06-06-2013, 03:17 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Way to contradict yourself right there.
Forgot to quote you but my reply is above

Old
06-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
since the moment we drafted him i wanted our center to be eller, galchenyuk, plekanec

DD's extension ruined everything

but we will see in time what happens, 2nd line center next year i do think is too rapid of development for galchenyuk, but i certainly dont think him being top 6 is rushing him, not at this point, we all know the kid can PLAY now

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
Anyway it is going to happen sooner or later
My 11 year old will eventually drive, doesn't mean I give him the keys to the car and let him go.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Um, yeah, because it would most likely mean that they were both developing really well and also mean that we'd have the best third line centre in the league....

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:37 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
My 11 year old will eventually drive, doesn't mean I give him the keys to the car and let him go.
Lmao

That was gold

Old
06-06-2013, 03:37 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Patience everyone. While frustrating for the fans, its better for the team to have Galchenyuk play less minutes behind players that are not as flashy or promising than trade our other centers and force him in a role he might not be ready to assume.

He's not even 20 yet, its not a drama if he plays 15 minutes a game instead of 22. If he somehow starts playing like a superstar then our other centers will naturally be bumped down the depth chart. There is little chance that happens, so we shouldn't hold our breath.

As for Eller he should be given an equal shot as Desharnais or Plekanec for a top2 spot, he's ready for it and in a different situation than Galchenyuk because of his age and growing experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout
Lol nice one.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Halifaxhab*

If their play forces the coach to make them 1-2....sure. but don't force them in before their ready

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
since the moment we drafted him i wanted our center to be eller, galchenyuk, plekanec

DD's extension ruined everything

but we will see in time what happens, 2nd line center next year i do think is too rapid of development for galchenyuk, but i certainly dont think him being top 6 is rushing him, not at this point, we all know the kid can PLAY now
They will probably be that in a couple years. How is Desharnais' extension ruining anything, if Desharnais becomes expendable because Galcxhenyuk is ready for a bigger role then you trade him. Should be easy to move, he isn't signed for a 5 year 32 mil contract like Grabovsky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Patience everyone. While frustrating for the fans, its better for the team to have Galchenyuk play less minutes behind players that are not as flashy or promising than trade our other centers and force him in a role he might not be ready to assume.

He's not even 20 yet, its not a drama if he plays 15 minutes a game instead of 22. If he starts playing like a superstar then our other centers will naturally be bumped down the depth chart.

Lol nice one.
I agree, better to DEVELOP players than to throw them in the deep end of the pool and all they are worried about is surviving.

You want your young players to learn how to THRRIVE not just SURVIVE.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:42 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Just looked up some stats of guys that played right away after being drafted, and saw the difference in points from year 1 to 2 , looked at mainly recent top picks, like Hall and Seguin, put took big strides, maybe if Gally gets off to a hot start, team will trade either plek or DD to give him a bigger role.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post

DD's role should be warming the bench. You don't win with DD's in your lineup in the playoffs. You win with garbage goals in front of the net.

Put Pacioretty with Plekanec and Bourque and keep the Galchenyuk, Eller and Gallagher line together. Build your third line as your two-way line with Gionta and Halpern (and maybe Bickell), and your fourth line as your grit and experience line (Prust, White, Moen).

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
No. I'm done with not developing our prospects and young players properly, it doesn't lead to anything good. Be patient and look at the big picture.
You mean like Subban, Norris trophy finalist or Galchenyuk who played great as an 18 year old or Gallagher who is the Calder favorite or Tinordi holding his own less than 1 year out of junior?

Seems like throwing guys into the fire has been successful for us.

To me keeping DD at the expense of Gal at center reminds me of the win at all cost mode (yet only finish 8th) pre-Bergevin. We're not going ever be a cup contender until Galchenyuk develops into a top line center.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I agree, better to DEVELOP players than to throw them in the deep end of the pool and all they are worried about is surviving.

You want your young players to learn how to THRRIVE not just SURVIVE.
At this point last season a very low percentage would have agreed with playing Galchenyuk major minutes in the NHL (assuming we would draft him) coming off a missed season and major knee injury. Yet taking that risk was a major highlight for all of us.

Same for Gallagher turning into a top 6 winger. He's too small and too weak. Yet again a major highlight for us.

So now we're turning back into play the mediocre vets over the potential young players who could turn into stars.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:55 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
DD's role should be warming the bench. You don't win with DD's in your lineup in the playoffs. You win with garbage goals in front of the net.

Put Pacioretty with Plekanec and Bourque and keep the Galchenyuk, Eller and Gallagher line together. Build your third line as your two-way line with Gionta and Halpern (and maybe Bickell), and your fourth line as your grit and experience line (Prust, White, Moen).
Well it all depends on how management wants to build a team, I get what you mean by DD not fitting in on a 3rd line of its built in a classic way, having 2 scoring lines a checking line a d a 4th line, but you need that 1 top level scoring line for that to work, ex Ducks, Caps. We don't have that top line talent and since we actually use one of our top centre as a checking line (Plek or Eller later on), you can have a scoring 3rd line with DD.

Also this you can't win with DD in your lineup, I don't agree with, he didn't have a good playoffs this year, but in his first year in 2011, he did well and Martin actually gave him extra mins, he also always shows up vs teams like Boston, I think you can't win with DD as your number 1 centre playing vs other teams top dmen but if used wisely I think you can win with DD on your team

Old
06-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
You mean like Subban, Norris trophy finalist or Galchenyuk who played great as an 18 year old or Gallagher who is the Calder favorite or Tinordi holding his own less than 1 year out of junior?

Seems like throwing guys into the fire has been successful for us.

To me keeping DD at the expense of Gal at center reminds me of the win at all cost mode (yet only finish 8th) pre-Bergevin. We're not going ever be a cup contender until Galchenyuk develops into a top line center.
None of those guys were "thrown into ther fire".

Gallagher had a half year AHL and started on the 3rd line. Galchenyuk had a half year OHL and played 3rd line.

Subban had a full year AHL, he was "thrown into the fire" a bit last year with Markov out, but MT/MB and co handled him well this year, the holdout and having the team win did a lot for him.

Tinordi was only called up for a few games, the plan only changed because of Emelin's injury. He didn't make the team out of camp.