HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part V: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2013, 07:43 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
I'd like Nichushkin too, but he's not falling to 11 and its unrealistic for us to give up the assets needed to move up to grab him when we have other needs.

Old
06-05-2013, 08:01 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'd like Nichushkin too, but he's not falling to 11 and its unrealistic for us to give up the assets needed to move up to grab him when we have other needs.
Thank you, Buzz Killington, for taking the time out of your busy day telling elementary schoolchildren there's no Santa to post this.

I agree with your statement. In this deep draft, the Flyers need both quality and quantity, and should get both if they have done their homework.

Old
06-05-2013, 08:09 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Thank you, Buzz Killington, for taking the time out of your busy day telling elementary schoolchildren there's no Santa to post this.

I agree with your statement. In this deep draft, the Flyers need both quality and quantity, and should get both if they have done their homework.
Plus, we can just sign Bobby Ryan in a couple summers

Old
06-05-2013, 12:31 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Plus, we can just sign Bobby Ryan in a couple summers
Just to be sure, I'm putting you on 'Ignore' before you post something absurd like the likelihood of Mason regressing to his career mean numbers.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Just to be sure, I'm putting you on 'Ignore' before you post something absurd like the likelihood of Mason regressing to his career mean numbers.
This is going to be a blast.

06-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

I purchased Hockey Prospects Black Book last night and I recommend it. $34 (digital) with the hfboards discount.

Over 700+ pages and has an unreal amount of information. Game reports with prospect notes from that game and prospect profiles.

Not sure about copyright infringements or any of that but I guess I could summarize what they think of the player if you want me to. Let me know if that's not allowed per site rules.

Old
06-06-2013, 12:20 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 50
Drafted Samuel Morin for you guys on the Sens board mock draft. Was really hoping for Nurse but he went one spot ahead of me. Went against the concensus rankings, but rolled the dice on Morin given the Flyers huge need for a d-man.

Old
06-06-2013, 12:45 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
I actually have high hopes for mason. If you look at his supposed bad years after his outstanding rookie season, it's really not THAT bad, especially considering what we've had over that time period. Mason showed in his rookie season what he has the capability of doing, and he showed here after being acquired that he still has that talent and can still be that goalie. Whether or not he continues his stellar play or reverts back to his inconsistent ways remains to be seen, but I believe that he definitely still has the potential to be that guy again. And he's still so young as well, especially for a net minder. I honestly believe that Columbus gave up on him too quickly (much like we did with bob).

Old
06-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Drafted Samuel Morin for you guys on the Sens board mock draft. Was really hoping for Nurse but he went one spot ahead of me. Went against the concensus rankings, but rolled the dice on Morin given the Flyers huge need for a d-man.

Great pick!!

Old
06-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
I actually have high hopes for mason. If you look at his supposed bad years after his outstanding rookie season, it's really not THAT bad, especially considering what we've had over that time period. Mason showed in his rookie season what he has the capability of doing, and he showed here after being acquired that he still has that talent and can still be that goalie. Whether or not he continues his stellar play or reverts back to his inconsistent ways remains to be seen, but I believe that he definitely still has the potential to be that guy again. And he's still so young as well, especially for a net minder. I honestly believe that Columbus gave up on him too quickly (much like we did with bob).
I'm pretty happy to have him. He played great for us. I was impressed and I think he can a legit starter inthis league again.

Old
06-06-2013, 10:35 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I'm pretty happy to have him. He played great for us. I was impressed and I think he can a legit starter inthis league again.
I just really hope that Bryz gets bought out. I was against it earlier because I was concerned with who would be the starter. I still am concerned about that, but I have come to the realization that whomever it is, even if they put up the same crap stats that Bryz is putting up, is going to be better for the team because it will be less of a media circus and less of a cap hit. The ONLY drawback would be if he kills it somewhere else, that would create a ton of media issues I would think.

Old
06-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

I say we trade bryz for fleury and Malkin

anyone with me?

06-06-2013, 11:02 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I say we trade bryz for fleury and Malkin

anyone with me?
Pens add.

Old
06-06-2013, 11:34 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Pens add.
They already traded all their bad-decent prospects...who else could they add?

Old
06-06-2013, 12:07 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

Was Morrissey available? If so, shame on you.....lol. Just kidding. With that being said, it won't surprise me if Morin is the guy they draft.

Old
06-06-2013, 12:26 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Okay bear with me while I switch my keyboard from 'sarcastic' to 'serious'. Let's see, that's CTRL - ALT - SER. Good, it's working.

There's no reason to think it's impossible that Mason cannot regain his rookie form; however, the improbability is aided and abetted by the spectre of doom that hangs over the starting goaltender position, the constant half-witted nattering of most of the sports media, and Mason's apparent weak spot with self-control. There should be a truism about becoming a Philadelphia goaltender: Out of the frying pan into the Flyer.

I hope that, not only does Mason keep standing on his head, but the competition goads Bryzgalov on to play exceptional hockey in the season ahead, too. My bigger hope is that the team will collectively gel in terms of playing own-zone as a unit and fall in love with the short, smart pass as an exit strategy.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
According to TSN's Bob McKenzie about as many scouts have Poluck ranked in the second round as the first. With the 11th overall the Flyers can do better IMO.
If Morrrisey was still available at #11, and the Flyers drafted him,
would you be interested in Pulock at the begining of second round if he was
available.

Or would you rather pick a different postion player at #41?

I would be willing to trade my 3rd if necessary to move up in 2nd for Pulock.
I think Pulock might be better than Morrisey so I would love to draft both.

Thoughts???

Old
06-06-2013, 03:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
If Morrrisey was still available at #11, and the Flyers drafted him,
would you be interested in Pulock at the begining of second round if he was
available.

Or would you rather pick a different postion player at #41?

I would be willing to trade my 3rd if necessary to move up in 2nd for Pulock.
I think Pulock might be better than Morrisey so I would love to draft both.

Thoughts???
I wouldn't have a problem with that if that were the case.

My own personal views is that Morrissey is miles ahead of Pulock and that Morrissey is going to be the better player at the end of the day. Everyone talks about Pulock's shot, but Morrissey's got a great shot from the point as well and when you consider he's about 35 pounds lighter than Pulock, that shot is only going to get better and better once he adds a few more pounds.

On top of it, as good as a skater Pulock is, he can't hold a candle compared to Morrissey with regards to skating. Morrissey is probably the best skating defenseman in the draft this year. The other thing that bears watching is that Morrissey was lights out at the U18 tournament this year and that's a tournament the Flyers scout very heavily.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

My own personal views is that Morrissey is miles ahead of Pulock and that Morrissey is going to be the better player at the end of the day. Everyone talks about Pulock's shot, but Morrissey's got a great shot from the point as well and when you consider he's about 35 pounds lighter than Pulock, that shot is only going to get better and better once he adds a few more pounds.

On top of it, as good as a skater Pulock is, he can't hold a candle compared to Morrissey with regards to skating. Morrissey is probably the best skating defenseman in the draft this year. The other thing that bears watching is that Morrissey was lights out at the U18 tournament this year and that's a tournament the Flyers scout very heavily.
I thought Pulock is mostly criticized for his skating along with his defensive play?

------------
I doubt Pulock gets to the second round anyway. I believe he was bringing up that some scouts see him as second rounder to prove that he's not a slam dunk like some like to think, not that's he going to actually end up there.

Old
06-06-2013, 04:21 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
They already traded all their bad-decent prospects...who else could they add?
Their 5th round picks for the next 12 years! MWUAHAHAHA!

Old
06-06-2013, 04:43 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Was Morrissey available? If so, shame on you.....lol. Just kidding. With that being said, it won't surprise me if Morin is the guy they draft.
I actually love Morrissey. He is flying a bit under the radar at the moment. Good solid offensive defenceman.

Old
06-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:

This is a great point.

Pulock topped out on a variey of combine tests. People thought that would raise his stock but if anything it might hurt simply because most likely he is close to maxing out physically.

He has a 30 inch jump which is not bad for a hockey player. Vert measures lower body power and lower body power can be a great indicator of skating speed. Yet With that lower body power he is still a below avg skater... that is very concerning.

Old
06-06-2013, 07:08 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

I am falling in love with Ristolainen

Old
06-06-2013, 08:04 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Am I the only one that doesn't want any part of Nichushkin unless he's at 11? I don't want us trading anything for him.

Old
06-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

I feel the same way

Don't trade assets to jump up

Closed Thread