HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2012-13 Prospect Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Caser

vCash: 500
Well, it's kind of a natural thing: if some player is stuck in the AHL, then he will get inquired about the possible return. By the way, what's really wrong with Orlov - I mean he's got huge talent, but he couldn't get into the Capitals roster this year (and you can't really say that Capitals defense is too good) - why is that? I know there was an injury, but after it he got called up and played some games (and I've heard that he didn't play them bad) and then he got sent down again - what happened there?

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Oates doesn't like the side he plays.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:45 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
Well, it's kind of a natural thing: if some player is stuck in the AHL, then he will get inquired about the possible return. By the way, what's really wrong with Orlov - I mean he's got huge talent, but he couldn't get into the Capitals roster this year (and you can't really say that Capitals defense is too good) - why is that? I know there was an injury, but after it he got called up and played some games (and I've heard that he didn't play them bad) and then he got sent down again - what happened there?
Oh I know it makes sense, I just would very much like for him to stay over here and be a big part of the picture for the Caps. He didn't play because... not sure why actually. I thought he showed fairly well in his games at LD.

I do expect him to see minutes next season, with Hillen in the press box. Orlov is fast enough to play the "Hillen skating matchup" that Oates used early in the season, and with Carlson to help, he should be fine (assuming Carlson doesn't pull another regular season disappearing act).

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:34 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Stanislav Galiev had 4G 7A in 10GP during the Reading Royals' Kelly Cup run.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 12:33 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/pa...on-camp-roster
USA Jr Evaluation Camp Roster, includes Carrick, Barber and DiPauli.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 01:36 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/pa...on-camp-roster
USA Jr Evaluation Camp Roster, includes Carrick, Barber and DiPauli.
All 3 invited/attended last year, too (not, 2 not 3, as indicated in posts below, Barber did not attend last year); of course, Barber making the gold medal team.

These were the only 3 Caps USA prospects eligible at this time.

The camp in Lake Placid in August includes scrimmages against Sweden, Finland, and this year, Canada, too.

For the next U20, here’s a list of all of the eligible Capitals’ prospects regardless of how much of a longshot; note ’93s are no longer eligible for WJC U20; have to be born in ’94 or more recently for the next tournament. More possible to add to the list once the draft is completed but this is the current list:

USA: Riley Barber, RW, 2/7/94; Connor Carrick, D, 4/13/94; Thomas Di Pauli, C, 4/29/94

Canada: Chandler Stephenson, C/LW, 4/22/94; Tom Wilson, RW, 3/29/94

Sweden: Christian Djoos, D, 8/6/94

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 06-06-2013 at 03:34 PM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:27 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
All 3 invited/attended last year, too; of course, Barber making the gold medal team.
Funny part is... Barber wasn't invited. he made the team without evaluation camp. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=639118

Old
06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Funny part is... Barber wasn't invited. he made the team without evaluation camp. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=639118
Bah, you are correct, 4 Caps prospects last year attended the August camp, Barber being the one who did not get invited/attend. It was Haar and Boyd, not Barber.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:32 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Bah, you are correct, 4 Caps prospects last year attended the August camp, Barber being the one who did not get invited/attend. It was Haar and Boyd, not Barber.
No prob, great job with the list.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Caps Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Oh I know it makes sense, I just would very much like for him to stay over here and be a big part of the picture for the Caps. He didn't play because... not sure why actually. I thought he showed fairly well in his games at LD.

I do expect him to see minutes next season, with Hillen in the press box. Orlov is fast enough to play the "Hillen skating matchup" that Oates used early in the season, and with Carlson to help, he should be fine (assuming Carlson doesn't pull another regular season disappearing act).
I am looking forward to seeing if any of the following:

1. Kundratek
2. Schilling
3. Schimdt
4. Wey

Have a chance to earn big club time considering Alzner(UFA), Poti, Schultz, Orlov as not locks for next year? Obviously signing Alzner must be a priority no matter what, Poti seems to be history, Schultz wants out but will not be marketable with his contract, and Orlov had head injury that has appeared to slow his progress.

I excited to see these four in the mix and what they have to offer at the bottom end. Boston has had several young defensemen contributing to their current run that have surprised me with their presence and progress with the biig club.

Caps Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps Crazy View Post
I am looking forward to seeing if any of the following:

1. Kundratek
2. Schilling
3. Schimdt
4. Wey

Have a chance to earn big club time considering Alzner(UFA), Poti, Schultz, Orlov as not locks for next year? Obviously signing Alzner must be a priority no matter what, Poti seems to be history, Schultz wants out but will not be marketable with his contract, and Orlov had head injury that has appeared to slow his progress.

I excited to see these four in the mix and what they have to offer at the bottom end. Boston has had several young defensemen contributing to their current run that have surprised me with their presence and progress with the biig club.

Alzner is a RFA, not UFA. Almost 100% guaranteed that he will be back in Washington.
Schultz could be an amnesty buyout victim if they don't find a taker for his contract.

Also worth noting that Kundratek and Wey are RHD while Orlov and Schmidt are LHD.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Alzner is an RFA, not a UFA, and absolutely is a lock for next year. I'm not sure who among them has the best chance of earning an NHL spot, but people who watch Hershey have indicated that Schilling is probably the most ready. Schmidt sounds like he needs work defensively. Kundratek needs the same, but was able to play competently enough in the NHL last year. I wouldn't expect to see Wey in the NHL at all next year unless he really impresses. Both he and Kundratek are righties, a disadvantage since Green and Carlson are pretty set and the organization seems to like Oleksy more than it should. A few people have suggested Kundratek could be trade bait.

So, I guess, I would expect one of Schilling, Schmidt, or Orlov to be most likely to get some decent NHL time next year at 2/3 LD.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote