HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game Day Thread - Oilers @ Devils

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 06:47 PM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I will gladly give New Jersey home ice advantage in the Stanley Cup Finals. Oilers win in 6

Now thats a final Id like to see, but Im not nearly as confident as you over the outcome........ Oilers in 7.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Jamie

Didn't get a chance to watch the game, but saw Isbister had 9 minutes of play only. I take it the best line recently was broken up and he got put on the 4th line? Or did he get injured? Doesn't make sense to me, everytime him and Smyth are on the same line, they both elevate their game. Wouldn't it make sense to keep them together until they clearly proved it's not working anymore? I really don't like Mac-T.(to put it nicely)

Old
01-05-2004, 06:55 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Didn't get a chance to watch the game, but saw Isbister had 9 minutes of play only. I take it the best line recently was broken up and he got put on the 4th line? Or did he get injured? Doesn't make sense to me, everytime him and Smyth are on the same line, they both elevate their game. Wouldn't it make sense to keep them together until they clearly proved it's not working anymore? I really don't like Mac-T.(to put it nicely)
The York-Dvorak-Torres line was on fire tonight and accordingly was given more ice time.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:04 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieoiler
Mac T does'nt have a choice, who's he going to ride? Who can he trust?
This team is in a hole he has to ride his best players to make the playoffs. No one really wants to see Ferguson plying 18-20 min a night.
Easily could have rode Semenov, Ulanov and even Ferguson more tonight based on the minutes played. All 3 goals scored by the devils came with Brew/Staios on the ice. The last two were a direct result of those two being unable to even have any strength whatsoever on their sticks.

Brewer couldn't clear the puck which lead to the 4 on 4 domination which resulted in Elias' goal. And Staios just couldn't keep up with Gomez and muscle his stick down. From the 13 minute period on in the 3rd period, that pairing was laboring and it was obvious. They were gradually becoming less and less effective on the ice as they became more wearied.

Granted, I'm not unhappy with the point... but we rode our top 2 dmen WAY too hard these past two nights.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
The York-Dvorak-Torres line was on fire tonight and accordingly was given more ice time.
Thats all fine and dandy, and I like that combo as well(which leads me to believe it'll be dismantled in a week or so), but that doesn't explain why Isbister would be taken off of Smyths line...

Old
01-05-2004, 07:13 PM
punk_o_holic

All that Brewer ice time might = showcasing him....anyone know if there has been any scouts watching the Oilers?

Old
01-05-2004, 07:14 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Thats all fine and dandy, and I like that combo as well(which leads me to believe it'll be dismantled in a week or so), but that doesn't explain why Isbister would be taken off of Smyths line...
Isbister doesn't kill penalties, and I think the Oilers bump Hemsky up to the 1st line on the power play (taking Isbisters spot).

Old
01-05-2004, 07:16 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic
All that Brewer ice time might = showcasing him....anyone know if there has been any scouts watching the Oilers?
So then how does that account for Staois's ice time? I think Mac-T was doing whatever he could to get his tired team a point.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Mr Sakich

say what you want about thier ice time but the oil got 5 out of 6 points so far in this road trip. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The oil have 2 days off and mact will be paying for a day at the spa for all the dmen.

There is no excuse to be tired if you have 2 days off with no travel. He rode them hard but the next game isn't until thursday and they don't change hotel rooms till friday night.

BTW, the last goal was a thing of beauty and there was no fault from any oiler. Elias and sykora both made perfect moves / deflection. Goals happen.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:43 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
There is no excuse to be tired if you have 2 days off with no travel. He rode them hard but the next game isn't until thursday and they don't change hotel rooms till friday night.

BTW, the last goal was a thing of beauty and there was no fault from any oiler. Elias and sykora both made perfect moves / deflection. Goals happen.
I'm not sure what you're talking about here. There's no excuse for being tired in the Devils' game? Or no excuse for being tired in the next game after this one?

Because Brew and Staios have every reason to be tired. I don't think they have been worked like that in back-to-back games in their entire careers. Playing almost 60 minutes of hockey is tough tough work... and it showed tonight.

Like I said, I am not unhappy with the point. But they were worked way too hard and their play on the ice suffered from it. Goals happen. But if Staios could find a little extra gear to catch up with Gomez... does Gomez have the angle to tip the puck in?

This is all mere speculation on whether or not the team would have won.. but they WERE worked too much. Injuries readily happen that way when a player is overexerted like that. Is one point really all that important compared to the health of our two best dmen at the moment considering the problems we have with injuries to Cross and Smith? Personally, I say no.

Old
01-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich

You had me believing that for a second.

Old
01-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I know the game is over, but Im gonna go ahead and predict a 3-2 OTL with Elias potting the GWG early in the extra frame.

Im so bad at these things.

Old
01-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Injuries

Is Laraque injured or what's going on? Is Cross' injury more serious than is being reported in the papers?

01-06-2004, 12:33 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
From NHL.com

"It was Moreau's fifth goal in 10 games against New Jersey. He had two goals and an assist in last year's game between the teams. "

Ethan "Devil Killer" Moreau

in any case i'm glad they got the 1 point for the OTL sure as heck beats 0 points (even though they had a chance of 2 points) as long as they do anything to keep that points total ticking over and pressuring the teams above them to win.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:24 AM
Yanner39

Hey I'm glad with the point. Disappointed because we should have had 2 from an unlikely opponent. Stealing points like this is what gets you in playoffs. They played a good game and what I like is that they generated chances against a tight checking team. That's the positive. The fact is, from what I remember, they had 3 excellent chances and didn't bury them and this is not new. That's what got me frustrated. The PP was spending more time in the offensive zone but nothing was being generated as far as chances.

Closed Thread