HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXI - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2013, 12:51 PM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Andy McDonald retires, one of the most underrated player in the last decade, if only he could have stayed healthy.
And undrafted.

Maybe that opens up a trade possibility with the Blues with one of DD or Plek.

Old
06-06-2013, 12:53 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
And undrafted.

Maybe that opens up a trade possibility with the Blues with one of DD or Plek.
DD for a 2nd round pick. Thanks Blues.

Old
06-06-2013, 01:00 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
It drives me nuts to see a game won on a clear penalty. Call the penalties and the players will learn quickly what they can and can not get away with. The hacking on Marchand in front of the net by Letang and no call? I find it silly how the refs are push overs and have no idea what they are doing on the ice.

Queue someone coming here and saying how hard it is to be a ref. Well it's hard to do most any profession. Deal with it!

Old
06-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Would you guys support a 12 million dollar/year contract offer to Evgeni Malkin if he goes UFA?
I would entertain any contract offer for Malkin. He's my favorite player.
I could see him turn MaxPac into what Neal has become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
In the playoffs they are more a calculated agitating type team than bullies. Guys like Marchand do their thing and get key players off their game. We need a guy like White or Dumont to do that for us going forward.
The difference is that Marchand actually is a threat offensively. He's not just a 4th line pest.
We had that in PK. A top talent guy pesting away opponents, but apparently that was too much for PK. He had to be tamed .

Quote:
It has to be a realistic possibility, however, as good as Malkin is do we really want a player potentially taking up 20% of our cap? I'm sure somebody would try it.

Malkin is the first real superstar contract of the new CBA so it will be interesting. Like i said I doubt he actually goes to the KHL even if they offer 15 mil a year, but his agent probably uses it as leverage to get a huge 8 year deal in the 90 mil range.
I would give pretty much the max to Malkin if that's what he wants. We have young players that we can save cap on, and the cap will likely rise again to a point where his salary percentage vs cap will drop so I don't mind at all.
I mean seriously, him, Galchenyuk, Eller as our top 3. Don't make me drool.

We would be able to ship away Plekanec and got some valuable return as well. Move or buy out DD as well.

I don't think the KHL can be used as leverage. Malkin fled from the KHL, it was a huge deal, I seriously doubt he will go back to it just because they're throwing some cash at him. It would make no sense after the way he left there.
Not only that, but I think there will be quite a few teams willing to offer him the maximum cash in the NHL anyways. He won't have to negotiate a whole lot. He'll get plenty of 6year offers at the max.

Old
06-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
No fan of Cox but I agree...the two sets of rules for regular season and playoff hockey is far and away the worst thing about the NHL.
there is no difference between reg. season and playoffs, we only think there is because the stakes are higher and the perceived need for "fairness" is greater.

I see no calls, phantom calls, periods where the whistle is put away, periods where the officials are micromanaging the flow , and I see it in all parts of the season.

Old
06-06-2013, 01:28 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
No fan of Cox but I agree...the two sets of rules for regular season and playoff hockey is far and away the worst thing about the NHL.
They did it on the 2nd last play in the Super Bowl. Then didn't call blatant holds on the last play of the game. So it does happen in other sports but I get what he means.

Old
06-06-2013, 01:46 PM
My Velouria
roygbiv

This thread is just disgusting..

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1441179

Old
06-06-2013, 01:49 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I knew which thread it would be before clicking

I stopped reading after page 1 when I first saw it...no chance it was going to get any better.

Awful lot of Sens fans with strong opinions on Subban suddenly. I wonder what that's all about...

Old
06-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I would entertain any contract offer for Malkin. He's my favorite player.
I could see him turn MaxPac into what Neal has become.

The difference is that Marchand actually is a threat offensively. He's not just a 4th line pest.
We had that in PK. A top talent guy pesting away opponents, but apparently that was too much for PK. He had to be tamed .

I would give pretty much the max to Malkin if that's what he wants. We have young players that we can save cap on, and the cap will likely rise again to a point where his salary percentage vs cap will drop so I don't mind at all.
I mean seriously, him, Galchenyuk, Eller as our top 3. Don't make me drool.

We would be able to ship away Plekanec and got some valuable return as well. Move or buy out DD as well.

I don't think the KHL can be used as leverage. Malkin fled from the KHL, it was a huge deal, I seriously doubt he will go back to it just because they're throwing some cash at him. It would make no sense after the way he left there.
Not only that, but I think there will be quite a few teams willing to offer him the maximum cash in the NHL anyways. He won't have to negotiate a whole lot. He'll get plenty of 6year offers at the max.
If you give a max contract to Malkin, it's great, you have Malkin but you have just traded 3-4 big assets for him, then you have to try and find him a supporting cast in UFA markets that are usually inflated.

This isn't the NBA, too many big contracts kill your depth and the NHL playoffs are all about depth.

Malkin wouldn't go to the KHL, but getting an offer would help him get a deal netting him around 90 mil starting in 14-15.

Also, if you're trading for Malin, then Galchenyuk is going the other way so he won't be your #2 center at any point.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
If you give a max contract to Malkin, it's great, you have Malkin but you have just traded 3-4 big assets for him, then you have to try and find him a supporting cast in UFA markets that are usually inflated.

This isn't the NBA, too many big contracts kill your depth and the NHL playoffs are all about depth.

Malkin wouldn't go to the KHL, but getting an offer would help him get a deal netting him around 90 mil starting in 14-15.

Also, if you're trading for Malin, then Galchenyuk is going the other way so he won't be your #2 center at any point.
Well first, I'm not talking about trading. So scratch Gally going anywhere.

Second, bringing Malkin in makes Plekanec and DD really expendable. That's an 8.5M free up. If we're talking about 12M then that's just an addition of 3.5M. Seriously not that bad. Gionta will also come off the cap, as well as Markov, and both those guys should see reductions in their salary unless they have amazing seasons next year, and even then, I believe they'd still get a reduction.
If you move Plekanec, you should also receive some good value in return. Just like Richards and Carter brought to Philly, we should be able to get some solid young prospects in return.
Also, the cap is going down next year, but I expect it to go up the following year.
It wouldn't be such a cap hell management to the point where it's not even worth doing. It's not inconceivable.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:24 PM
couris

Plekanec Subban for Malking

Old
06-06-2013, 03:28 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
I knew which thread it would be before clicking

I stopped reading after page 1 when I first saw it...no chance it was going to get any better.

Awful lot of Sens fans with strong opinions on Subban suddenly. I wonder what that's all about...
Well, Senator fans are blessed with the almighty Karlsson. They must spread the holy word that EK is so much better than Subban and the second coming of Christ. Who cares? Certainly not us, but they desperately need that to boost their tiny egos. Especially now that they lost.

Oh and bring on Malkin please. Give him 12m, boat tours with Bergevin, bowling with Carbonneau, walk by the river with Gainey, a party with Markov so he can meet Montreal chicks. Whatever he wants. We can even trade for Talbot so they can once again make awkward car ads together.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 06-06-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old
06-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

TheFourthPeriod News ‏@TFPnews 11m Edmonton Oilers :: Oilers shopping Hemsky & Horcoff, GM reveals http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/edm130606.html

Old
06-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Well first, I'm not talking about trading. So scratch Gally going anywhere.

Second, bringing Malkin in makes Plekanec and DD really expendable. That's an 8.5M free up. If we're talking about 12M then that's just an addition of 3.5M. Seriously not that bad. Gionta will also come off the cap, as well as Markov, and both those guys should see reductions in their salary unless they have amazing seasons next year, and even then, I believe they'd still get a reduction.
If you move Plekanec, you should also receive some good value in return. Just like Richards and Carter brought to Philly, we should be able to get some solid young prospects in return.
Also, the cap is going down next year, but I expect it to go up the following year.
It wouldn't be such a cap hell management to the point where it's not even worth doing. It's not inconceivable.
If you're talking Malkin as a UFA, don't bother. Pittsburgh will sign him or tarde him to a team taht will sign him. I expect Malkin to have an extension in play by Sept 1st, no way Pittsburgh risks having him go UFA.

Old
06-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Hemsky or Horcoff don't really fit what we need, interesting to watch though...

http://oilersnation.com/2013/6/6/trading-shawn-horcoff

Old
06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

vCash: 300
Hemsky's very talented (albeit soft), I would definitely be interested in him if our team's makeup was different.

Old
06-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Well first off I disagree that other sports simply accept their refs. Fans complain about refs in every other sport, maybe it's a little less, but nobody just shuts up about it. They whine, and then move on, like for hockey.
I also disagree that it's the toughest sport to ref. Football is incredibly tough to ref.

The players will always test out their limits, why wouldn't they? The refs are there to bring them back to reality, it's their freaking job.

And spare me fans will never be happy excuse. Refs will make mistakes, it's unavoidable. But it is clear there are two different set of standards. Clear as day on a beautiful day. I don't care if they also make mistakes in the reg sea, as I said it's unavoidable. The issue is the two different sets of rules.

You want to let whatever Jagr go ( and don't make me believe that there's any way the refs could interprete this as anything other than a hook), then make hooking legal.

And I'm not being biased. Pens got away with plenty. I also said after the 2nd round that the officiating in this year's POs have been on a whole other level. It's been god awful. It has nothing to do with this being the Bruins. I followed the series in the west, and god it was bad.
Football is as tough? How so? And please tell me that you see just as much discussions about a holding penalty on the line that wasn't called compared to a hooking penalty that wasn't called in the NHL. Refereeing might be tough for other sports, problem is that people don't make as big as case for those sports than hockey. Yes, evident and gamechanging calls like the one that replacement referees made and so on...that will be discussed. But in hockey, every ****ing thread is now filled with hooking that should have been called compared to diving and embellishing....It's a freakin tough sport to judge and as fans we are the harshest (is that a word?) of any sport.

Old
06-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
So Campbell is out? Wow tough blow for them and then....they won't even see the difference. Seeing their depth, those freakin Bruins will put Soderberg in the lineup and he'll be the Krug of their offense....

Old
06-06-2013, 08:19 PM
SirClintonPortis
ProudCapitalsTraitor

Voynov has been ridiculous these playoffs.

Old
06-06-2013, 08:33 PM
peate
Good grief!

Softy let in by Quick? WTF???

Old
06-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Bloumeister
Tennis court jester

Bickell's gonna be worth 10 million bucks if this streak keeps going on

Old
06-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Et le But

Bickell is gonna be a rich, rich man.

Old
06-06-2013, 08:39 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Andy McDonald retires, one of the most underrated player in the last decade, if only he could have stayed healthy.
absolutely

Old
06-06-2013, 08:48 PM
That

Quote:
Wow. I'm always been a fan of him. Very skilled player.

It's a such a shame seeing a player having to retire due to injury. He just wasn't the same player this season, he was a shell of his former self.

Old
06-06-2013, 08:53 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Hemsky's very talented (albeit soft), I would definitely be interested in him if our team's makeup was different.
you rail on gionta but interested in hemsky? oh brother... he'd give you you fits before the week was done

Closed Thread