HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller & Galchenyuk

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2013, 09:03 PM
  #51
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,966
vCash: 591
All I want is
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher on the same PP unit just like in one of the games vs the Sens. It was one of the few times the forwards were actually able to move the puck without the help of the D. Second Unit put Bourque - Eller - MaxPac with a bit of DD and Gionta.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 10:22 PM
  #52
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNM87 View Post
Well i guess with Plekanec locked in as our #1 Center for a few more years we won't be hoisting that Cup for awhile. He would be a great 3rd line Center who kills penalties, but the guy is clueless on the PP, time to give some minutes to the younger core and get him and Gionta off the PP regularly.
3rd line C dont have 60 pts seasons, and they dont make 5 Mil a year either.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 10:45 PM
  #53
MonkeyBusiness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
3rd line C dont have 60 pts seasons, and they dont make 5 Mil a year either.
I agree with your first point, Plekanec is a very good player and anyone calling him a 3rd liner is wrong. Ideally he'd be a #2 center for this team but he can handle being the #1 center. Although being paid 5 million doesn't make him more than a 3rd line center, Gomez was paid 7 million last year and was a third line center. There are a lot of overpaid players in this league and their play doesn't match their salary. That isn't the case for Plekanec though.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 11:09 PM
  #54
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven
 
Hullois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Québec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,607
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
I agree with your first point, Plekanec is a very good player and anyone calling him a 3rd liner is wrong. Ideally he'd be a #2 center for this team but he can handle being the #1 center. Although being paid 5 million doesn't make him more than a 3rd line center, Gomez was paid 7 million last year and was a third line center. There are a lot of overpaid players in this league and their play doesn't match their salary. That isn't the case for Plekanec though.
Great post, Plekanec is still the only center on this team that can shut down the top lines in the league. I think Eller will get there in a couple of years but for now we can't replace Pleks' 20 minutes per game.

In three years it will be

Galchenyuk
Eller
??
??

Hullois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 11:38 PM
  #55
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Well it all depends on how management wants to build a team, I get what you mean by DD not fitting in on a 3rd line of its built in a classic way, having 2 scoring lines a checking line a d a 4th line, but you need that 1 top level scoring line for that to work, ex Ducks, Caps. We don't have that top line talent and since we actually use one of our top centre as a checking line (Plek or Eller later on), you can have a scoring 3rd line with DD.

Also this you can't win with DD in your lineup, I don't agree with, he didn't have a good playoffs this year, but in his first year in 2011, he did well and Martin actually gave him extra mins, he also always shows up vs teams like Boston, I think you can't win with DD as your number 1 centre playing vs other teams top dmen but if used wisely I think you can win with DD on your team
No you can't. Not if you want to win in the playoffs.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:19 AM
  #56
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,096
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
As for waiting for players to develop heres the age most of today's top players started playing regularly.
E Staal-20
J Staal-18
Kessell-18
Kane-18
Stamkos-18
Ovy-19
Crosby-18
Letang-20
Hall-18
Getzlaf-20
Tavares-18
Sedins-18
Duchene-18
Kopitar-19
Nash-18
Seguin-18
Carter-20
Backstrom-19
Thornton-18
Suter-20
Weber-20
Doughty-18

All those guys turned out alright despitr being "rushed".

I'm sure crawlingkastitsyn will say that these are all anomalies despite being the majority of the best players in the league.
Listen Loulou, there is a difference between ''playing regularly'' and being asked to be the top line center. Of the guys you named very few were thrown in a key role right away. Most were third or fourth liners in their first year (just like Galchenyuk) and very few were more than second liners in their second.

By your definition (and comparing him to these players) Galchenyuk IS playing regularly and I'm 100% in favor of him playing in the NHL, what I'm against is seeing him being asked to play 22 minutes while we trade our veteran centers just so he can accomplish his destiny sooner than he should.

It baffles me that people want to give Galchenyuk the first line before he even earns it. He will soon enough. He can have the first line when he outplays all our other centers.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:45 AM
  #57
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post

It baffles me that people want to give Galchenyuk the first line before he even earns it. He will soon enough. He can have the first line when he outplays all our other centers.
Galchenyuk lives in the land of Habsistan.

He will be given the opportunity to be a 1st line center when the other centers are simultaneously injured... similarly to how Plekanec developed more whenever Koivu was injured, and to how Desharnais got more ice time when Gomez was injured.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:52 AM
  #58
TT1
Registered User
 
TT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
All I want is
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher on the same PP unit just like in one of the games vs the Sens. It was one of the few times the forwards were actually able to move the puck without the help of the D. Second Unit put Bourque - Eller - MaxPac with a bit of DD and Gionta.
as much as i love gally hes not the type of player you would want to have on your 1st PP line. compared to say dd/eller/plek/gal he has weak puck control/passes and for obvious reasons hes not a very effective screener


Last edited by TT1: 06-07-2013 at 05:32 AM.
TT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:23 AM
  #59
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man
 
MsChanandlerBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Great post, Plekanec is still the only center on this team that can shut down the top lines in the league. I think Eller will get there in a couple of years but for now we can't replace Pleks' 20 minutes per game.
This 100%.

I think in two years time, Galchenyuk will be our first line center...but I truly believe Plekanec will remain above Eller for a long while. At the moment he has much more offensive upside and solid defensive upside, and I don't see it changing over the next few seasons to be honest.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:44 AM
  #60
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChanandlerBong View Post
This 100%.

I think in two years time, Galchenyuk will be our first line center...but I truly believe Plekanec will remain above Eller for a long while. At the moment he has much more offensive upside and solid defensive upside, and I don't see it changing over the next few seasons to be honest.
maybe not a LONG while, but people have to remember players such as Eller need time to round up their game since they play a full game (two way 5 on 5, PK, PP, important draws, last minutes of games, etc)

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:46 AM
  #61
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man
 
MsChanandlerBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
^long while as in another 2-3 season at least imo.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 07:32 AM
  #62
Gally11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
I think we also all need to take a step back and see how Eller responds to this injury as well. Might take him a little while to shake it off.. I could be wrong but I don't feel like Patches plays with the same edge since Chara, still a solid top 6 winger but I feel like he was a lot more aggressive skater before that injury but that could just be my memory trying to play tricks on me

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:14 AM
  #63
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,323
vCash: 500
The correct answer of course is to have Eller, Pleks and DD as our top 3 centres. Galchenyuk starts the year at wing.

You might not realize that Eller and Galchenyuk were already two of our best performers at even strength last year, with far less time. So they'll get a bigger role this year, more ice time, stiffer competition.

Even strenght points this season:

Pacioretty 27
Galchenyuk 26
Eller 25
Gallagher 24
Desharnais 21
Gionta 19
Plekanec 18

Everyone has craved big centres and more importantly, center DEPTH for years, and now it appears we have both - Eller is a big centre, Galchenyuk will some day become a big centre, and Pleks and DD are both pretty darn good. That's centre depth. I can't believe how many people just want to get rid of DD now or even trade Pleks so you can have Galchenyuk play centre when he isn't ready to do that yet. Put him on the wing. Then if and when a centre gets hurt, he can play some games at centre. Put him at centre late in games when we're winning (or losing) big. Let him kill some penalties. But don't trade any centres to make more room.

Have we learned nothing about depth and injuries?

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:41 AM
  #64
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
This team should drive with three centers and balance the lines. Plekanec gets the most minutes because of the penalty kill. Galchenyuk definitely needs to see more powerplay minutes.
100% agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
DD's role should be warming the bench. You don't win with DD's in your lineup in the playoffs. You win with garbage goals in front of the net.

Put Pacioretty with Plekanec and Bourque and keep the Galchenyuk, Eller and Gallagher line together. Build your third line as your two-way line with Gionta and Halpern (and maybe Bickell), and your fourth line as your grit and experience line (Prust, White, Moen).
As much I would love to see DD ride the pine, at 3.5 million/year () is not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
You mean like Subban, Norris trophy finalist or Galchenyuk who played great as an 18 year old or Gallagher who is the Calder favorite or Tinordi holding his own less than 1 year out of junior?

Seems like throwing guys into the fire has been successful for us.


To me keeping DD at the expense of Gal at center reminds me of the win at all cost mode (yet only finish 8th) pre-Bergevin. We're not going ever be a cup contender until Galchenyuk develops into a top line center.
See other's people's post above how Subban played 4 years in the O, plus 1 year in the A. Gally 4 years in the W, plus half year in the A. Tinordi had 2 years in the O and 2 years in the US.

How is that "throwing guys into the fire"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
You mean like they did to that Steven fella in Tampa, uh?
Did you just compare Steven Stamkos to Alex Galchenyuk?

For the love of g-d men, Galchenyuk's draft season was gone due to injury, so I can't compare the two, and Stamkos played in the NHL 4 months after he was drafted, whereas Galchenyuk played 33 games in the O, plus WJHC, then made it to the NHL, on the 3rd line and not the top 2 lines like Stammer, so again I can't compare the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
People have to realize that Galchenyuk is the best forward prospect the Canadiens had in DECADES.

We're talking about a top-three pick in the draft. Huberdeau for instance was given big duties in Florida and responded well: 2nd in scoring on his team and Calder finalist. If he can do it, I can't see why Galchenyuk couldn't. I can't believe some of you still prefer using Desharnais on the first two lines.
I don't get the point of this statement because it's a surefire duh.

Again as mentioned above, Huberdeau played wing for most of this season.

It's not that I prefer, is I prefer Pleks, DD, Eller, to Pleks, Chucky, Eller, or Pleks, Eller, Chucky. Eller might be ready to centre the 2nd line (might be) but Chucky is not ready to centre the 3rd line.

Why do you think MB signed DD to a 4 year deal...he obviously thinks a) we're not going to be contending for cups in the next 2-3 years with our current roster and b) knows the Chucky probably isn't 1-2 years away from our top 6. Or, he might be thinking of pulling a Taylor Hall and having Chucky on the wing for the rest of his time in MTL until we've got the space to put him in at C. Imagine Chucky-Pleks-Gallagher in 1-2 years. That sounds pretty good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Wow bold and big font. Good for you.

Bergevin came from Chicago where Toews and Kane both played 18+ minutes a night as teenagers. We played Bealiue and Tinordi after less than 1 year in the AHL. We're signing our picks and trying to bring them to the AHL as soon as possible.

Get used to our young guys playing early.

Anybody who says MaxPac is a failed example of playing too soon, he's been our leading scorer two years in a row with DD as his center. Plus he had major injury from the Chara hit.

Price is a goalie. He's been successful in the past. And he's struggled. Is that because he was rushed? Maybe. Is he just inconsistent? Look a Fleury. Good enough to win a cup one year, and benched another.

For every Latendresse (a player who was rushed) there is a Ribeiro, Beauchemin, Boucher (players who were babied here only to go on to be major players for other shortly after leaving here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Beaulieu and Tinordi played limited time as call ups. Thats part of a good development process and not rushing. Neither were asked to step up as regular top6 defensemen last year. Rushing would have been to, for example, not sign Bouillon and have one of them with the time from the get go. Guess what? Bouillon is also signed next year. I wonder why..

Bringing to the AHL as soon as possible is a great way to control their development. We can give them a sip of NHL time as well. It doesn't mean we're going to force them to become top6 NHLers and top4 defensement at 20 yrs old.

And patience, bolded or not, is the thing fans usually don't have. Bad general managers also need more of it usually.

Thats because he's really good. He was however in a really bad place and struggling mightily before going back down to the AHL were he belonged. You don't remember his first years here?

Fleury is the best example of a rushed goalie. Thank you.

Ribeiro was not ''babied'' and simply traded away,Boucher has never been Habs property, Beauchemin was lost because Gainey failed to understand old waiver rules.
Fleury won a SC. Don't think he was that rushed.

Other than that, this post was great to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
As for waiting for players to develop heres the age most of today's top players started playing regularly.
E Staal-20
J Staal-18
Kessell-18
Kane-18
Stamkos-18
Ovy-19
Crosby-18
Letang-20
Hall-18
Getzlaf-20
Tavares-18
Sedins-18
Duchene-18
Kopitar-19
Nash-18
Seguin-18
Carter-20
Backstrom-19
Thornton-18
Suter-20
Weber-20
Doughty-18

All those guys turned out alright despitr being "rushed".

I'm sure crawlingkastitsyn will say that these are all anomalies despite being the majority of the best players in the league.
I don't know where to begin.

Let's start with a big

Firstly, IMO, Galchenyuk is so special given how he has developed in juniors (injury riddled draft season).

He is close to some of these player's in terms of skill, but definitely not E. Staal, Kane, Stammer, Ovi, Crosby, Hall, Getzlaf, Tavares, Kopitar, Nash, Seguin, Backstrom, Thornton.

Sedins were just like him, 3rd line regulars till about just before the 2nd GB lockout.

Kessel, different kind of forward so hard to compare, but they're essentially same level development (in fact I can see Galchenyuk producing about the same as Kessel at Kessel's current age, not at 100 pts as some people apparently think...)

J Staal, not the same type of forward so again it's hard to compare, but he played 3rd line ES, barely any PP, but played good PK minutes. Different from and a bit similar to Galchenyuk.

Duchene was obviously a bit rushed. Played well his first two years, then his third year declined in scoring (but could have been due to injury) and this year comes back at almost PPG numbers. He seems like special case due to many factors like their roster in Colorado. I wonder what Patrick does when he's there.

Carter I am not sure how to judge. Maybe mentally needed to develop more, but I got nothing.

I also don't compare forwards to defenseman. That's almost like trying to compare forwards to goalies (more specifically Price to Galchenyuk).

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
I'd like to see Plekanec eventually become the 3rd line centre that handles the defensive match ups and chips in offensively and have Galchenyuk and Eller as our 1-2. Add a RH FO specialist/checker as our 4C through the draft as some point.
You don't pay your third line centre 5 million/year as mentioned above. When we contend for a Cup, depth wise at C it will be Chucky, Pleks, Eller (Eller could be above him, but him and Pleks will split PK time, have pretty equal ES time, and split the last unit of PP with Pleks or play with him...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNM87 View Post
Ya just like it was the wrong decision for Tampa to move Stamkos into a top 6 role his second year.........
Don't compare Stammer to Chucky. Enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNM87 View Post
Well i guess with Plekanec locked in as our #1 Center for a few more years we won't be hoisting that Cup for awhile. He would be a great 3rd line Center who kills penalties, but the guy is clueless on the PP, time to give some minutes to the younger core and get him and Gionta off the PP regularly.
Again, 3rd line centres aren't paid 5 mil/year. You seem to be clueless about Pleks. At which point in his career was he playing with amazingly skilled wingers outside of Kovalev and Cammy, who both are so streaky and inconsistent that you can barely put that on Pleks.

And the guy is not even close to clueless on the PP. Clearly you don't watch our games close enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Galchenyuk lives in the land of Habsistan.

He will be given the opportunity to be a 1st line center when the other centers are simultaneously injured... similarly to how Plekanec developed more whenever Koivu was injured, and to how Desharnais got more ice time when Gomez was injured.
When I read this, I was laughing for a good 30 seconds.

You are right though. If and when DD, Pleks, or both go down, Chucky will be thrown into that "fire" and we'll have to make do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
I think we also all need to take a step back and see how Eller responds to this injury as well. Might take him a little while to shake it off.. I could be wrong but I don't feel like Patches plays with the same edge since Chara, still a solid top 6 winger but I feel like he was a lot more aggressive skater before that injury but that could just be my memory trying to play tricks on me
100% agreed.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:53 PM
  #65
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
The correct answer of course is to have Eller, Pleks and DD as our top 3 centres. Galchenyuk starts the year at wing.

You might not realize that Eller and Galchenyuk were already two of our best performers at even strength last year, with far less time. So they'll get a bigger role this year, more ice time, stiffer competition.

Even strenght points this season:

Pacioretty 27
Galchenyuk 26
Eller 25
Gallagher 24
Desharnais 21
Gionta 19
Plekanec 18

Everyone has craved big centres and more importantly, center DEPTH for years, and now it appears we have both - Eller is a big centre, Galchenyuk will some day become a big centre, and Pleks and DD are both pretty darn good. That's centre depth. I can't believe how many people just want to get rid of DD now or even trade Pleks so you can have Galchenyuk play centre when he isn't ready to do that yet. Put him on the wing. Then if and when a centre gets hurt, he can play some games at centre. Put him at centre late in games when we're winning (or losing) big. Let him kill some penalties. But don't trade any centres to make more room.

Have we learned nothing about depth and injuries?
Not to mention, Galchenyuk on the wing means the Habs have one of the best 1-2 combinations on LW in the East in addition to having a good group of centers.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:23 AM
  #66
HabsSlappy
Registered User
 
HabsSlappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Just happened upon this stat this morning.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rati...p&sortdir=DESC

Galchenyuk was 7th in the league in points per 60 minutes at 5vs5.

I originally had it as a 3 year average, oops, but 7th is still great!

Pacioretty 8th, Eller 10th.


Last edited by HabsSlappy: 06-10-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Made a mistake and had 3yr avg in first post.
HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:26 PM
  #67
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Well it all depends on how management wants to build a team, I get what you mean by DD not fitting in on a 3rd line of its built in a classic way, having 2 scoring lines a checking line a d a 4th line, but you need that 1 top level scoring line for that to work, ex Ducks, Caps. We don't have that top line talent and since we actually use one of our top centre as a checking line (Plek or Eller later on), you can have a scoring 3rd line with DD.

Also this you can't win with DD in your lineup, I don't agree with, he didn't have a good playoffs this year, but in his first year in 2011, he did well and Martin actually gave him extra mins, he also always shows up vs teams like Boston, I think you can't win with DD as your number 1 centre playing vs other teams top dmen but if used wisely I think you can win with DD on your team
what hockey do you watch ? name one contender that has a dd in their top 6 , 9 or even team for that matter ? NAME ONE

He played like crap in the playoffs , cause he isnt built for the playoffs

how the hell can he play third line , which is a critical checking line that a Stoll plays ? if he gets no pp time and isnt sheltered how the hell can he produce with weaker linemates ?

Listen I maybe hard on on his play , but call a spade a spade

we effed up resigning him , he is made for the regular season only , he is utterly useless come playoff time and NO IN THE FINAL 4 RIGHT NOW WILL EVER PUT HIM IN THEIR LINEUP

and with our lack of size and grit to begin with it make it more obvious he a bad fit he is for us

ship him to Nashville or Calgary where he can float , spend 1/2 the game on his ass put up 50 points and win nothing

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:07 PM
  #68
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
what hockey do you watch ? name one contender that has a dd in their top 6 , 9 or even team for that matter ? NAME ONE

He played like crap in the playoffs , cause he isnt built for the playoffs

how the hell can he play third line , which is a critical checking line that a Stoll plays ? if he gets no pp time and isnt sheltered how the hell can he produce with weaker linemates ?

Listen I maybe hard on on his play , but call a spade a spade

we effed up resigning him , he is made for the regular season only , he is utterly useless come playoff time and NO IN THE FINAL 4 RIGHT NOW WILL EVER PUT HIM IN THEIR LINEUP

and with our lack of size and grit to begin with it make it more obvious he a bad fit he is for us

ship him to Nashville or Calgary where he can float , spend 1/2 the game on his ass put up 50 points and win nothing
Not every team uses their 3rd line as a checking line, in todays NHL most teams have one of their top 2 lines play vs other teams top lines, we don't use our 3rd line as a checking line, its also the Plek line playing vs other teams top lines.

IMO there are places where DD can fit, for example on the Caps, they use Johansson, and Perreault as their 3rd line centre, and DD would be on upgrade on both. The Sharks like to use Pavelski at RW, so DD can be better than Gomez as their 3rd line Centre, and possible with the Hawks instead of Handzus.

Not a big fan of DD, but I think that he is playing a role in Mtl that he should be playing, he plays vs other teams top d-men, and while he does get sheltered with offensive zone starts, the team doesn't shelter him by playing vs other teams bottom pairings, even when at home and get last change, they never tried to match him up with bottom pairings of other teams.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:06 PM
  #69
Habiton
Registered User
 
Habiton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
The correct answer of course is to have Eller, Pleks and DD as our top 3 centres. Galchenyuk starts the year at wing.

You might not realize that Eller and Galchenyuk were already two of our best performers at even strength last year, with far less time. So they'll get a bigger role this year, more ice time, stiffer competition.

Even strenght points this season:

Pacioretty 27
Galchenyuk 26
Eller 25
Gallagher 24
Desharnais 21
Gionta 19
Plekanec 18

Everyone has craved big centres and more importantly, center DEPTH for years, and now it appears we have both - Eller is a big centre, Galchenyuk will some day become a big centre, and Pleks and DD are both pretty darn good. That's centre depth. I can't believe how many people just want to get rid of DD now or even trade Pleks so you can have Galchenyuk play centre when he isn't ready to do that yet. Put him on the wing. Then if and when a centre gets hurt, he can play some games at centre. Put him at centre late in games when we're winning (or losing) big. Let him kill some penalties. But don't trade any centres to make more room.

Have we learned nothing about depth and injuries?
Dead on, having versatile players is how you win Stanley cups. I say keep them all, we just need a few big Dmen and Wingers to toughen our lineup a bit and we are gold.

My addition list:
Boyd Gordon
Stalberg/Frolik (Trade)
Fistric
Scuderi/Murray (or hopefully Tinordi showing up )

Adding those guys will make us a bigger, stronger and aside from the last one faster club.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 01:11 AM
  #70
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,753
vCash: 500
Did anyone notice that the Habs are shallow at center and that their junior. NCAA, and minor league prospects at that position aren't likely to become top 6? I don't want to see the Habs regress even for one season. Trading Plekanec would make the situation worse and they wouldn't solve their problem by picking up some overaged cast off.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 08:00 AM
  #71
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Just happened upon this stat this morning.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rati...p&sortdir=DESC

Galchenyuk was 7th in the league in points per 60 minutes at 5vs5.

I originally had it as a 3 year average, oops, but 7th is still great!

Pacioretty 8th, Eller 10th.
Umm check again. After sorting by Points/60, I have Galchenyuk at #2 behind Crosby (however, Crosby and other players below him play against top D pairing and Chucky does not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
what hockey do you watch ? name one contender that has a dd in their top 6 , 9 or even team for that matter ? NAME ONE

He played like crap in the playoffs , cause he isnt built for the playoffs

how the hell can he play third line , which is a critical checking line that a Stoll plays ? if he gets no pp time and isnt sheltered how the hell can he produce with weaker linemates ?

Listen I maybe hard on on his play , but call a spade a spade

we effed up resigning him , he is made for the regular season only , he is utterly useless come playoff time and NO IN THE FINAL 4 RIGHT NOW WILL EVER PUT HIM IN THEIR LINEUP

and with our lack of size and grit to begin with it make it more obvious he a bad fit he is for us

ship him to Nashville or Calgary where he can float , spend 1/2 the game on his ass put up 50 points and win nothing
Firstly, DD has played at the NHL level for about 2 seasons. Season 0.5, he was on pace for about 50 points. Season 0.5-1.5, he scored 60 points. And season 1.5-2 he was on pace for about 55 points.

Playoffs he has 2 points in 10 games. 10 games, what a large sample size...

Honestly, you don't have a clue about him. He has vision that most other C's don't have, including other 2nd line Centremen like Saku Koivu to name 1.

I know that eventually Desharnais may or may not be a part of the team moving forward (hopefully he won't) but until then he'll do what he does and that's for a 5'7" player, put up 50-60 points per season, good enough for #2 C. Until then let's keep a bashing to a minimum.

FYI, the following teams would have DD as an upgrade on their #2 C positions: Anaheim, Calgary, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Florida, Minnesota (but not for long), Philly, Phoenix, Winnipeg.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 08:16 AM
  #72
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Did anyone notice that the Habs are shallow at center and that their junior. NCAA, and minor league prospects at that position aren't likely to become top 6? I don't want to see the Habs regress even for one season. Trading Plekanec would make the situation worse and they wouldn't solve their problem by picking up some overaged cast off.
Lars Eller, Alex Galchenyuk, and David Desharnais are all top-6 or potential top-6 players. They're all under 26. I don't think right now is the time to move Plekanec, as Galchenyuk hasn't developed into a top-6 player but, we don't need four top-6 centers and two (Patches, Gallagher, not Bourque) top-6 wingers and a weak defense.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.