HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't give up on Leblanc

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2013, 07:28 AM
  #1
Wandering Maroon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Don't give up on Leblanc

Just comparing Leblanc to guys who were taken near his draft position:

NHL Totals Gms G A Pts PIM

18 Montreal Louis Leblanc 42 5 5 10 28
19 NY Rangers Chris Kreider C 23 2 1 3 6
20 New Jersey Jacob Josefson 91 6 16 22 14
22 Vancouver Jordan Schroeder 31 3 6 9 4
24 Washington Marcus Johansson 183 33 62 95 22
25 Boston Jordan Caron 88 11 14 25 24
26 Anaheim Kyle Palmieri 70 15 14 29 15
27 Carolina Philippe Paradis No Games
29 Tampa Bay Carter Ashton 15 0 0 0 13


Outside of Johansson, none of the other players stand out. Kreider and Palmieri have shown flashes and Caron is sitting on the bench with Boston.

I saw a game in the Q - Montreal vs. Shawinigan Leblanc vs. Bournival and LL was on fire. (Bournival was 1st star) He can play great two-way hockey and can be a 2nd line player in 2-3 years.

He's only 22.

Wandering Maroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 07:42 AM
  #2
BLNY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
It took him a long time to get back to some sort of form after the ankle injury. No doubt he lost some confidence. There's no real veteran presence in Hamilton either. Next year is make or break though. If he can't show considerable improvement in production and impact it will be time to move on.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 07:51 AM
  #3
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
I don't think MB is anywhere close to giving up on LeBlanc, unlike some bipolar fans.

He needs to show up focused in September though.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 07:58 AM
  #4
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,079
vCash: 500
So your argument is don't give up on him because there others drafted around him suck too?

Maybe what you're trying to say is temper our expectations.

He just needs to get stronger. Two-way players with good hockey sense shouldn't have to take 3-4 years to make an impact in the minors. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his injury; but to me we're just grasping at straws to come up with some excuse. Maybe he's just not that good.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:15 AM
  #5
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,390
vCash: 500
He has some talent, but seems to play a perimieter type of game, not sure if he can handle going to the dirty areas...I think he is a long shot to make the club next season...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:23 AM
  #6
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Boris Le Tigre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: More Toast !
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,389
vCash: 500
He had a terrible injury that effects your wheels for a long time. He is a good skater and needs time to recoup.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:28 AM
  #7
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,053
vCash: 500
It's not about giving up on the guy, it's about what to do with him!!
Winger, center?
Top 6 material?
Bottom 6 material?

With a new wave of kid with Kristo, Collberg, Bozon and hudon on the wings...i don't see Leblanc being the next guy called up at that position.

And we're already full at center.....

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:47 AM
  #8
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
He has some talent, but seems to play a perimieter type of game, not sure if he can handle going to the dirty areas...I think he is a long shot to make the club next season...
Not sure when Lablanc ever played a "perimeter" type of game. Competing
along the boards/ winning puck battles is one of his best attributes. He was
already somewhat successful at this in the NHL, even without the muscles
everyone says he needs.

Habaddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:49 AM
  #9
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
He has some talent, but seems to play a perimieter type of game, not sure if he can handle going to the dirty areas...I think he is a long shot to make the club next season...
I think he shouldn't make the team next year, even if he has a good camp, let him play at least a half year AHL.

As far as being a perimiter player, have you seen him play?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:51 AM
  #10
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,706
vCash: 50
Ok Mrs. Leblanc we'll stop teasing your boy.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:51 AM
  #11
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
So your argument is don't give up on him because there others drafted around him suck too?

Maybe what you're trying to say is temper our expectations.

He just needs to get stronger. Two-way players with good hockey sense shouldn't have to take 3-4 years to make an impact in the minors. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his injury; but to me we're just grasping at straws to come up with some excuse. Maybe he's just not that good.
Umm yes some of them do...Plekanec was one, I wanna say Kessler too because at the time when he was brought up to Vancouver from Manitoba, he didn't really produce at the #3 spot. Took him an extra 2-3 years at the NHL to be an impact #2 two-way centre.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:52 AM
  #12
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
It's not about giving up on the guy, it's about what to do with him!!
Winger, center?
Top 6 material?
Bottom 6 material?

With a new wave of kid with Kristo, Collberg, Bozon and hudon on the wings...i don't see Leblanc being the next guy called up at that position.

And we're already full at center.....
I don't think the habs have considered Lablanc a center for a while now.
He is a winger. Depth at center does't matter to him.
And obviously who's called up next is not an issue. The issue is that he
played poorly last year. Changing that is the important thing.

Habaddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:53 AM
  #13
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
It's not about giving up on the guy, it's about what to do with him!!
Winger, center?
Top 6 material?
Bottom 6 material?

With a new wave of kid with Kristo, Collberg, Bozon and hudon on the wings...i don't see Leblanc being the next guy called up at that position.

And we're already full at center.....
Other than Kristo, the others are not even 20 and 2-3 years away.

LeBlanc when he is on his game can play C or RW on an offensive or defensive line #1, 2 or 3.

I don't see the concern for "where he fits" just get him back on track and productive and a spot will open up or you make a trade.

It's a good thing, not a bad thing to have more players than spots available.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:14 AM
  #14
Bob Cole
Registered User
 
Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,386
vCash: 500
Hopefully he becomes a good third liner

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:27 AM
  #15
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Umm yes some of them do...Plekanec was one, I wanna say Kessler too because at the time when he was brought up to Vancouver from Manitoba, he didn't really produce at the #3 spot. Took him an extra 2-3 years at the NHL to be an impact #2 two-way centre.
Plekanec only played his 21 year old season in the AHL because of the lockout. Same with Kesler's 20 year old season.

Peverley would be a better example of a late-bloomer... but he's such an outlier. I don't think it makes sense to expect that of Leblanc.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:31 AM
  #16
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
He has some talent, but seems to play a perimieter type of game, not sure if he can handle going to the dirty areas...I think he is a long shot to make the club next season...
Typical fan who knows squat and makes up fake opinions about a player....

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:33 AM
  #17
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,706
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Typical fan who knows squat and makes up fake opinions about a player....
I'd say Leblancs weakness is easily physical strength. He doesn't play a perimeter game but I'm not sure he can handle 82 games a year with his current build. Needs to get him to train with Subban over the summer instead of Desharnais or whoever trained him last summer.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:35 AM
  #18
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I'd say Leblancs weakness is easily physical strength. He doesn't play a perimeter game but I'm not sure he can handle 82 games a year with his current build. Needs to get him to train with Subban over the summer instead of Desharnais or whoever trained him last summer.
Which is a fair assessment. But to say he's a perimeter player is quite ridiculous. He's our best prospect along the boards.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:06 AM
  #19
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,676
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I can't give up on someone I had no hopes for in the first place.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:13 AM
  #20
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Umm yes some of them do...Plekanec was one, I wanna say Kessler too because at the time when he was brought up to Vancouver from Manitoba, he didn't really produce at the #3 spot. Took him an extra 2-3 years at the NHL to be an impact #2 two-way centre.
Plekanec did produce at the AHL level in his 2nd year.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:14 AM
  #21
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
While I haven't given up on him, I have adjusted my expectations towards him. I originally thought that he could be a decent second line center. I'll be happy if he's a good 3rd line center. He needs at least one more year in the AHL though, and needs to perfect his faceoffs. If he can do that, and seeing how much Plekanec, Eller and Galchenuyk struggle on faceoffs, he could force the Habs' hand down the line.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:33 AM
  #22
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I can't give up on someone I had no hopes for in the first place.
A little harsh. After all everyone else seemed to think he'd be picked
in the 1st round somewhere. But it sounds honest.

Then maybe it's not fair to be honest about the intention to be unfair.

Habaddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:38 AM
  #23
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Umm yes some of them do...Plekanec was one, I wanna say Kessler too because at the time when he was brought up to Vancouver from Manitoba, he didn't really produce at the #3 spot. Took him an extra 2-3 years at the NHL to be an impact #2 two-way centre.
I didn't say impact in the NHL, I said impact in the minors. He's a non-factor in Hamilton, so to expect him to even come close to being effective in the NHL is misguided at this point.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:38 AM
  #24
Tyson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Maroon View Post
Just comparing Leblanc to guys who were taken near his draft position:

NHL Totals Gms G A Pts PIM

18 Montreal Louis Leblanc 42 5 5 10 28
19 NY Rangers Chris Kreider C 23 2 1 3 6
20 New Jersey Jacob Josefson 91 6 16 22 14
22 Vancouver Jordan Schroeder 31 3 6 9 4
24 Washington Marcus Johansson 183 33 62 95 22
25 Boston Jordan Caron 88 11 14 25 24
26 Anaheim Kyle Palmieri 70 15 14 29 15
27 Carolina Philippe Paradis No Games
29 Tampa Bay Carter Ashton 15 0 0 0 13


Outside of Johansson, none of the other players stand out. Kreider and Palmieri have shown flashes and Caron is sitting on the bench with Boston.

I saw a game in the Q - Montreal vs. Shawinigan Leblanc vs. Bournival and LL was on fire. (Bournival was 1st star) He can play great two-way hockey and can be a 2nd line player in 2-3 years.

He's only 22.
I agree that Leblanc needs a hard look at training camp but just because he along with several others have not broken out does not mean that the lot of them are simply not busts.

I doubt Leblanc makes a spot for himself in Montreal. I think Bournival will easily pass him up on the depth chart.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:47 AM
  #25
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Maroon View Post
Just comparing Leblanc to guys who were taken near his draft position:

NHL Totals Gms G A Pts PIM

18 Montreal Louis Leblanc 42 5 5 10 28
19 NY Rangers Chris Kreider C 23 2 1 3 6
20 New Jersey Jacob Josefson 91 6 16 22 14
22 Vancouver Jordan Schroeder 31 3 6 9 4
24 Washington Marcus Johansson 183 33 62 95 22
25 Boston Jordan Caron 88 11 14 25 24
26 Anaheim Kyle Palmieri 70 15 14 29 15
27 Carolina Philippe Paradis No Games
29 Tampa Bay Carter Ashton 15 0 0 0 13


Outside of Johansson, none of the other players stand out. Kreider and Palmieri have shown flashes and Caron is sitting on the bench with Boston.

I saw a game in the Q - Montreal vs. Shawinigan Leblanc vs. Bournival and LL was on fire. (Bournival was 1st star) He can play great two-way hockey and can be a 2nd line player in 2-3 years.

He's only 22.
I just don't get your point. You say : don't give up on him because all the other players drafted drafted near his spot all suck. Well, that's flawed logic to start with, you can't prove your point with an argument that's irrelevant about your premise.

Besides, he's already 22 and hasn't made a minor impact in the minors, which is rarely a good sign.

Now, look at he fact that we drafted many other prospects that leaped him the the depth chart and we'll likely have a few more this year, it's getting harder and harder to see him as a regular for us in the future.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.