*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2013-14 Season Thread

Since there was not a thread for the Whalers yet, I thought I would start one now that trades have begun.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

The Whalers have traded Matt Mahalak to Kingston for two 3rd round draft picks. I think that is an excellent return for Mahalak. Great job, Mike Vellucci!

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/artic...-draft-choices

Old
06-03-2013, 05:27 PM
SnipShow

vCash: 50
Whalers have also signed defenseman Josh Wesley from the U.S. Development team this offseason

Old
06-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipShow View Post
Whalers have also signed defenseman Josh Wesley from the U.S. Development team this offseason
That's great news, Plymouth gets a lot of good american talent to come the the OHL, it also helps that the NTDP is nearby in Ann Arbor. There is always a player or two in that system that has his draft rights held by the Whalers. So when/if they come to the OHL as a 17 or 18 year old rookie they step right in and don't really look out of place. There's another kid named Sonny Milano who I saw play his Midget U-16 hockey with the Cleveland Barons AAA program and tore it up at the World U-17 Challenge this past christmas. He was also on the U-17 U.S. team this past year, he might play U-18 next year but after that I hope he comes over and doesn't choose the College route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a1AG6_DJGc

Old
06-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Mike Vellucci has been named OHL Executive of the Year, to go with his OHL Coach of the Year award. He is the 2nd person from the organization to win the award. Jim Rutherford won the award back-to-back in 1993-94 with the Detroit Jr. Red Wings.

Congrats, Mike! We are very lucky to have you here in Plymouth.

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/artic...ve-of-the-year

Old
06-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Connor Carrick has been invited to the USA Hockey National Evaluation Camp, auditioning for a spot on the U.S. team to compete in the 2014 World Junior Championship.

It's curious to note that Ryan Hartman, a member of last year's U.S. gold medal team, was not invited. I wonder if that is because he is still covering from offseason shoulder surgery?

Old
06-06-2013, 01:20 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Connor Carrick has been invited to the USA Hockey National Evaluation Camp, auditioning for a spot on the U.S. team to compete in the 2014 World Junior Championship.

It's curious to note that Ryan Hartman, a member of last year's U.S. gold medal team, was not invited. I wonder if that is because he is still covering from offseason shoulder surgery?
It is because of the injury.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

The Whalers have cashed in one of the 3rd round draft picks they acquired for Matt Mahalak, as they have traded for 17 year old prospect Francesco Vilardi from Sudbury. Hopefully he can help replace some of the offense that will be lost next season, although he's only played one OHL game, so we'll have to wait and see if he's ready to play at this level.

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/artic...i-from-sudbury

Old
06-07-2013, 09:58 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
The Whalers have cashed in one of the 3rd round draft picks they acquired for Matt Mahalak, as they have traded for 17 year old prospect Francesco Vilardi from Sudbury. Hopefully he can help replace some of the offense that will be lost next season, although he's only played one OHL game, so we'll have to wait and see if he's ready to play at this level.

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/artic...i-from-sudbury
Good prospect, worth the gamble of a 3rd.

"@intheoradio: That is an absolute great pick up by #Plymouth. Vilardi is ready to play in the #OHL and can play a key role this season. Even as a rookie."

"@PWhalers: Plymouth Whalers Trade Cody Payne to Saginaw for a pair of draft picks - http://t.co/dWz19vV47p"

Last edited by defensehockey19: 06-07-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old
06-07-2013, 11:41 AM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

so is this a "rebuild" year for plymouth with all of these OA players? I know they are losing a lot and it looks like they are trying to scoop up some picks, though they will probably still make the playoffs.

Old
06-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
so is this a "rebuild" year for plymouth with all of these OA players? I know they are losing a lot and it looks like they are trying to scoop up some picks, though they will probably still make the playoffs.
They should still be a playoff team, but probably not a serious title contender. They really only have one too many OA's right now (assuming Meurs does not get sent back from the AHL) in Lorentz, Malysa, Whaley and Crombeen. I would expect one of them to get traded soon. The other '93's -- Rakell, Noesen and Trocheck -- will not be back.

Right now, the team's strength appears to be on defense and in goal, with Carrick, Curcuruto, Peters, Jones and probably Malysa (and maybe Crombeen) returning, plus the addition of Josh Wesley, to play in front of Nedeljkovic.

Offense will be a little tougher, as right now they cannot even put together three lines -- Wilson, Hartman, Mistelle, Vanderweil, Vilardi, Lorentz, Sills and possibly Whaley. Only Whaley and Vilardi are centers, too. And that is assuming that Wilson does not stick with Washington, which is a strong possibility.

With both import slots open and an extra OA to trade, there are still moves to make. However, this team will be a lot younger than last season's.

Old
06-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

With the Whalers signing another 17-yeard old defenseman -- Mathieu Henderson -- it could mean that only one of Malysa or Crombeen will be back as an OA in 2013.

Currently on the roster at defense for next year, not including OA's, are Carrick, Curcuruto, Wesley, Jones, Peters, and Henderson. Based on last year, it is unlikely the team will carry 8 defensemen, and they still need more forwards on the roster. This may mean that Lorentz and Whaley will get two of the OA spots, with the 3rd going to either Malysa or Crombeen.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:03 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
With the Whalers signing another 17-yeard old defenseman -- Mathieu Henderson -- it could mean that only one of Malysa or Crombeen will be back as an OA in 2013.

Currently on the roster at defense for next year, not including OA's, are Carrick, Curcuruto, Wesley, Jones, Peters, and Henderson. Based on last year, it is unlikely the team will carry 8 defensemen, and they still need more forwards on the roster. This may mean that Lorentz and Whaley will get two of the OA spots, with the 3rd going to either Malysa or Crombeen.
Don't quote me, but I believe Whaley is headed to school this year. Not expected back.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Don't quote me, but I believe Whaley is headed to school this year. Not expected back.
Thanks for the information, Sean. That would certainly make the OA decision easy, assuming that Lorentz, Malysa and Crombeen all want to return. With so many defensemen, though, it may also mean another trade before the beginning of the season. The only fly in the ointment would be if Meurs eventually gets returned from the AHL, similar to Levi, Heard and Devane over the past two seasons.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Cfriss216

Looks like the majority of the first 20 games are on the road. They'll get a little of that eastern road trip out of the way early. First game of the year against London, hopefully they can keep it close.

Old
06-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Looks like the majority of the first 20 games are on the road. They'll get a little of that eastern road trip out of the way early. First game of the year against London, hopefully they can keep it close.
The amount of road games early doesn't really surprise me, as it means fewer fall home games on Saturday and Friday to compete with college and high school football. So, Plymouth prefers this type of schedule.

I was surprised by the date of the traditional holiday break afternoon game -- Thursday, January 2nd at 2pm. Many people will be returning to work that day. This game is usually held between Christmas and New Year's Day. It must have something to do with Christmas Day falling mid-week.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Congratulations to Ryan Hartman for being taken in the first round of the NHL Draft, at #30 overall to the Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks.

Ryan's selection makes it four consecutive years where at least one Plymouth Whaler has been selected in the first round. The list:

2010: Tyler Seguin (Boston)
2011: J.T. Miller (Rangers), Rickard Rakell (Anaheim), Stefan Noesen (Ottawa)
2012: Tom Wilson (Washington)
2013: Ryan Hartman (Chicago)

Matt Mistele has a very good chance of keeping the Whalers streak alive in the 2014 draft, too.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:42 PM
RayzorIsDull

Connor Chatham commits to Plymouth, forward played with Omaha Lancers.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:58 PM
HometownHockey
HFB Partner

Power Forward Connor Chatham commits to Plymouth Whalers
http://www.ourhometown.ca/sports/NR0025.php

Old
07-10-2013, 05:22 PM
johnnydrum

Greetings from UK...but with my nose.heart and internet, constantly in Washington..lol

Tom Wilson has been awesome so far in Caps rookie camp.
Not only is he one of the teams best prospects, he is also the most entertaining!
http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...elopment-camp/
http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...-with-hitting/

Class job by Plymouth in developing this young man.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:44 PM
icing

From twitter:

Quote:
Victor Crus Rydberg ‏@CrusRydberg
To be one of the whalers in the OHL next two years feels amazing and exciting! @PWhalers

Old
07-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

With the signing of Chatham and the news that Crus-Ryberg is probably coming to Plymouth, the open forward positions are finally starting to be filled. Here is how the team currently looks:

Hartman - Crus-Ryberg - Wilson
Mistele - Vilardi - Sills
Lorentz - ? - Sandlak
Vanderweil - ? - Chatham
Lee

Carrick - Curcuruto
Jones - Peters
Wesley - Crombeen/Malysa
Henderson - Rathgeb

Nedeljkovic
Corbin

There are still some holes to fill up front -- especially if Wilson is kept by Washington. The team still needs a couple centers and some forward depth. Also, the team needs to do something with one of their two OA defensemen -- Crombeen or Malysa.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Cfriss216

Good info whalers fan, Really looking forward to seeing this crus-ryberg kid, along with how mistele steps up this year. He really stool out to me throughout the year last season during the ice time he got.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:26 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Whalers making a lot of signings, I'm impressed. Obviously wont be a title contender like last season but should be a playoff team. You think Plymouth would consider trading Malysa or Crombeen for someone like Luke Cairns? Erie has a ton of depth at the forward position but needs to improve defensively.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Whalers making a lot of signings, I'm impressed. Obviously wont be a title contender like last season but should be a playoff team. You think Plymouth would consider trading Malysa or Crombeen for someone like Luke Cairns? Erie has a ton of depth at the forward position but needs to improve defensively.
Plymouth needs to trade one of those two defensemen, as they still have four OA's on the roster. Center and forward are the team's biggest needs, so it is certainly possible.

The team did announce three more signings yesterday -- center Cullen Mercer, RW Bryce Yetman and goalie Zach Bowman. All are 16 years old, though, so will probably see limited ice time. Bowman will most likely not play at all, except possibly if Nedeljkovic is away for an event. The team also still had Riley Corbin as a backup.

Closed Thread