HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2013, 06:33 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
As a die-hard Habs and Mooseheads fan.. I would smash things if we took Fucale in the 1st round.

I can already see the RDS headlines:
"Canadiens espere d'echange Carey Price; selectionne Fucale dans la premiere ronde."

Old
06-07-2013, 07:04 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
Sorry if this has been answered already.
Is Draft day on the 30th all 7 rounds including the 1st round or in other words is draft day a one day event.
Thanks

Old
06-07-2013, 07:12 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag1328 View Post
My feeling is that the Habs won't be that interested in Mantha.
That they could draft Fucale if he's still there at 25 but wouldn't trade up to get him.
That they'd be more likely to trade up for Gauthier or, better, for Horvat.

I keep seeing Diaby with Montreal using one of their 3rd round picks...
Salut, Marc-Antoine! Good to see you back writing here!

Old
06-07-2013, 07:20 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Plausible scenario, given that new management may not be as supportive of Price or may no longer be as confident about Price remaining the team's franchise player.

Also, pretty odd for Geoff Molson to be interviewed about Price and having to defend his status with the team. French media is all over Price, with the usual suspects clamoring for a trade.
Who knows, if they can land an experienced goalie to bridge the gap, Fucale might become the go-to guy in a few years and Price might be expendable now that his value is still at its highest.
If management allows itself to be influenced by the usual parochial nonsense spewed by these uninformed cretins, it will be another 20 years before this team wins a Cup. It will be a fate that will be predictably and richly deserved.

Last edited by ChesterNimitz: 06-07-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old
06-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag1328 View Post
My feeling is that the Habs won't be that interested in Mantha.
That they could draft Fucale if he's still there at 25 but wouldn't trade up to get him.
That they'd be more likely to trade up for Gauthier or, better, for Horvat.

I keep seeing Diaby with Montreal using one of their 3rd round picks...
I'd be interested to know what gives you the feeling that Montreal would draft Fucale at 25. Is that just a personal opinion or does it come from talking to someone in the organization?

I don't see Fucale as superior to a few other goalies in the draft that will be available in the 2nd ( Jarry and Desrosiers).

Old
06-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
If management allows itself to be influenced by the usual parochial nonsense spewed by these uniformed cretins, it will be another 20 years before this team wins a Cup. It will be a fate that will be predictably and richly deserved.
The Price support/criticism cuts accross media language boundaries... For example, I heard his involvement in social medias brougth into question independently on both side. Callers are as supportive or critical of Price on English or French radio.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:11 AM
LeHabsMan

Ill do my ranking of guys in the top 40. These are the guys that Montreal should be thinking about with the first 3 picks. Its a ranking not a mock. Lines are different tiers of prospect IMO.

1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Seth Jones
3. Jonathan Drouin
------------------------
4. Valeri Nichushkin
5. Alexander Barkov
6. Elias Lindholm
7. Sean Monahan
------------------------
8. Max Domi
9. Darnell Nurse
10. Hunter Shinkaruk
11. Rasmus Ristolainen
------------------------
12. Bo Horvat
13. Alexander Wennberg
14. Curtis Lazar
15. Nikita Zadorov
16. Zach Fucale
17. Valentin Zykov
18. Joshua Morrissey
19. Anthony Mantha
20. Adam Erne
21. Nic Petan
------------------------
22. Samuel Morin
23. Frederik Gauthier
24. Ryan Pulock
25. Ryan Hartman
26. Ian McCoshen
27. Madison Bowey
28. Robert Hagg
29. Mirco Mueller
30. Andre Burakovsky
30. Kerby Rychel
31. Morgan Klimchuk
32. JT Compher
------------------------
33. Chris Bigras
34. Dillon Heatherington
35. Jacob De La Rose
36. Steve Santini
37. Laurent Dauphin
38. Jason Dickinson
39. Arturri Lekhonen
40. Emile Poirier

Old
06-07-2013, 08:20 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Sorry if this has been answered already.
Is Draft day on the 30th all 7 rounds including the 1st round or in other words is draft day a one day event.
Thanks
Yes it is. And from a Bob McKenzie tweet a while back, it seems like TSN will be showing the whole thing. Now this might mean TSN shows Round 1 and Rounds 2-7 go on TSN2, this I'm unsure of.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Ill do my ranking of guys in the top 40. These are the guys that Montreal should be thinking about with the first 3 picks. Its a ranking not a mock. Lines are different tiers of prospect IMO.

1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Seth Jones
3. Jonathan Drouin
------------------------
4. Valeri Nichushkin
5. Alexander Barkov
6. Elias Lindholm
7. Sean Monahan
------------------------
8. Max Domi
9. Darnell Nurse
10. Hunter Shinkaruk
11. Rasmus Ristolainen
------------------------
12. Bo Horvat
13. Alexander Wennberg
14. Curtis Lazar
15. Nikita Zadorov
16. Zach Fucale
17. Valentin Zykov
18. Joshua Morrissey
19. Anthony Mantha
20. Adam Erne
21. Nic Petan
------------------------
22. Samuel Morin
23. Frederik Gauthier
24. Ryan Pulock
25. Ryan Hartman
26. Ian McCoshen
27. Madison Bowey
28. Robert Hagg
29. Mirco Mueller
30. Andre Burakovsky
30. Kerby Rychel
31. Morgan Klimchuk
32. JT Compher
------------------------
33. Chris Bigras
34. Dillon Heatherington
35. Jacob De La Rose
36. Steve Santini
37. Laurent Dauphin
38. Jason Dickinson
39. Arturri Lekhonen
40. Emile Poirier
Personnaly, when it comes to projecting this draft, I would remove the lines (or at least make them very faint...) between #11 & 12 and between #21 & 22 and between #32 & 33 and throw all of those guys in one big pile. It just so close from 10 to 40... What an interesting draft.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:40 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Personnaly, when it comes to projecting this draft, I would remove the lines (or at least make them very faint...) between #11 & 12 and between #21 & 22 and between #32 & 33 and throw all of those guys in one big pile. It just so close from 10 to 40... What an interesting draft.
I see a big difference between someone like Lazar and someone like Gauthier. As for the last line it can be taken out but it gives a perspective of what the 1st round should look like.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I see a big difference between someone like Lazar and someone like Gauthier. As for the last line it can be taken out but it gives a perspective of what the 1st round should look like.
Why a big difference?

Gauthier is bigger, had more production at 17 despite being a rookie(Lazar played at 16) and is better defensively.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Why a big difference?

Gauthier is bigger, had more production at 17 despite being a rookie(Lazar played at 16) and is better defensively.
I'd take Lazar in a landslide over Gauthier. If only for heart and leadership alone. Gauthier disappeared down the stretch and the playoffs. Montreal need players who will help them win playoff games, especially with their first pick. You can't risk it on a player who played like chicken bleep in the past.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:02 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Why a big difference?

Difficult to compare. Gauthier might have had more total production, but Lazar had 16 more goals. Plus Gauthier is in a league that is generally not as physical, and he's 6'5. His production was certainly aided by his physique.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Ill do my ranking of guys in the top 40.

LE HABS MAN !!!!!

Great list nice to see you put your money where your mouth is. I will do a list too! I like the way you did it with tiers also.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:06 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I'd take Lazar in a landslide over Gauthier. If only for heart and leadership alone. Gauthier disappeared down the stretch and the playoffs. Montreal need players who will help them win playoff games, especially with their first pick. You can't risk it on a player who played like chicken bleep in the past.
I don't think that's a fair assessment, considering the bolded is entirely at odds to how Gauthier typically plays the game. What's more reasonable to suggest is that his "disappearance" is not due to playing like "chicken bleep" but due to the fact that he was playing a schedule twice as long as any season he'd endured previously. A let-down or a 'hitting the wall' isn't all that surprising and a lot of first-year CHL players go through it.

I would take Lazar over Gauthier myself but I don't think there's anything close to a landslide difference between them as you suggest.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
For a guy who apparently disapears in the playoffs he was one of the best players on Team Canada U18.

It's normal for rookies in the QMJHL to struggle in March and April. The travel and workload is much longer and harder than in MAAA so the 1st year is an adjustment, hence why I pointed out this was his 1st year, has nothing to do with heart or leadership. After a couple weeks off he was excellent at the U18, playing strong hockey at both ends. Also Lazar had 11 points in 22 playoff games, not exactly great production.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:11 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Why a big difference?

I think Lazar projects much, much better as a pro than Gauthier. I'm always suspicious about over sized juniors who are able to use their seize advantage over generally smaller fellow junior players. In the NHL, Gauthier will be playing against players who are much bigger and faster than the competition he faced in junior. On this level playing field, I have my doubts that Gauthier will be as effective as some of his supporters believe. I think my doubts will be shared by a lot of NHL teams and I won't be a bit surprised if Gauthier is available at 25 and, after some mature consideration, the Canadiens take a pass. It will be the right decision.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Difficult to compare. Gauthier might have had more total production, but Lazar had 16 more goals. Plus Gauthier is in a league that is generally not as physical, and he's 6'5. His production was certainly aided by his physique.
True but Lazar's lack of assists in the WHL is a red flag. Gauthier's goals will improve with added strength as his shot will get harder(see Pacioretty). Lazar seems to lack vision and hockrey sense offensively, that's not something you can develop a lot and is unrelated to physical development.

Gauthier will alaways be big, Lazar will alaways be average at best.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Fucale would be such a waste 1st round pick and needless media controversy. One of the few picks that would make me disappointed at 25/34/36.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:18 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Watsatheo and i are on the same page there.. As far as Lazar and gauthier... Lazar without a doubt

Old
06-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I think Lazar projects much, much better as a pro than Gauthier. I'm always suspicious about over sized juniors who are able to use their seize advantage over generally smaller fellow junior players. In the NHL, Gauthier will be playing against players who are much bigger and faster than the competition he faced in junior. On this level playing field, I have my doubts that Gauthier will be as effective as some of his supporters believe. I think my doubts will be shared by a lot of NHL teams and I won't be a bit surprised if Gauthier is available at 25 and, after some mature consideration, the Canadiens take a pass. It will be the right decision.
At 6'5" though he will still have a physical edge at the next level. 4 inches and 15-25lbs more than the average player.

Plus, Gauthier's game at 17 isn't built on using his size, he plays more of a smarts and finesse type game. Using his size MORE will be part of taking the "next step" in development as well as shooting more(plus adding strength to make his shot harder).

His ceiling is somewhere between Jordan and Eric Staal, he may or may not reach it, but hard to pass up at 20 let alone 25. as I said earlier his late season "slide" might cost him 5-8 draft spots and he could be a huge steal at 20-25 overall.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't think that's a fair assessment, considering the bolded is entirely at odds to how Gauthier typically plays the game. What's more reasonable to suggest is that his "disappearance" is not due to playing like "chicken bleep" but due to the fact that he was playing a schedule twice as long as any season he'd endured previously. A let-down or a 'hitting the wall' isn't all that surprising and a lot of first-year CHL players go through it.

I would take Lazar over Gauthier myself but I don't think there's anything close to a landslide difference between them as you suggest.
Habs need to value heart and leadership more in the draft. This has been our Achilles heel in the past. We have overvalued the Mr. November types in past drafts. You don't want to be built on players who "hit the wall" 2/3 thru the season. Lazar landslide over Gauthier

Old
06-07-2013, 09:27 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:

1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Seth Jones
3. Jonathan Drouin
------------------------
4. Valeri Nichushkin
5. Alexander Barkov
6. Elias Lindholm
7. Sean Monahan
------------------------
8. Max Domi
9. Darnell Nurse
10. Hunter Shinkaruk
11. Rasmus Ristolainen
------------------------
12. Bo Horvat
13. Alexander Wennberg
14. Curtis Lazar
15. Nikita Zadorov
16. Zach Fucale
17. Valentin Zykov
18. Joshua Morrissey
19. Anthony Mantha
20. Adam Erne
21. Nic Petan
------------------------
22. Samuel Morin
23. Frederik Gauthier
24. Ryan Pulock
25. Ryan Hartman
26. Ian McCoshen
27. Madison Bowey
28. Robert Hagg
29. Mirco Mueller
30. Andre Burakovsky
30. Kerby Rychel
31. Morgan Klimchuk
32. JT Compher
------------------------
33. Chris Bigras
34. Dillon Heatherington
35. Jacob De La Rose
36. Steve Santini
37. Laurent Dauphin
38. Jason Dickinson
39. Arturri Lekhonen
40. Emile Poirier
I think this is a well thought out list. As many have commented, after the top 12 to 15 players, its a largely a toss up as to the order of the next 30 players and the actually drafting order will depend on each team's own assessment of those players' chances to make and excel in the NHL. My only significant criticism would be to switch the rankings of Nurse and Morin. I have watched Nurse since he was a bantam player and I don't see him as a top ten talent particularly in this very deep draft. In fact, I think he has a real chance to be this draft's Matt Dumba.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:34 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
For a guy who apparently disapears in the playoffs he was one of the best players on Team Canada U18.

It's normal for rookies in the QMJHL to struggle in March and April. The travel and workload is much longer and harder than in MAAA so the 1st year is an adjustment, hence why I pointed out this was his 1st year, has nothing to do with heart or leadership. After a couple weeks off he was excellent at the U18, playing strong hockey at both ends. Also Lazar had 11 points in 22 playoff games, not exactly great production.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Exactly and Rimouski had one of the youngest team in the QMJHL. Gauthier wasn't the only player who had a difficult stretch at the end of the season, Desrosiers (a guy that some people see as being as good or close to Fucale) was by far the worst of them.

BTW, I'm happy that Morin will very likely be gone when the Habs will pick in the first round. My prediction is that he will not be anything more than a bottom pairing defenseman at the NHL level.

I would consider Gauthier with the 25th if he is still there but unlike some people, I absolutely don't see top line potential in him. More like 2nd line center or elite 3rd line center.

I wouldn't consider Morin before the 2nd round but we all know that he won't be there anymore.

Desrosiers could be an option but not before the 3rd round.

Kostalek would be worth a shot and I wouldn't be surprised to see him considered among the steal of this draft in a couple years. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the better NHL career between all the Rimouski 2013 draft eligible players.

Gravel could be an option in the later rounds.

Just my two cents.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I think this is a well thought out list. As many have commented, after the top 12 to 15 players, its a largely a toss up as to the order of the next 30 players and the actually drafting order will depend on each team's own assessment of those players' chances to make and excel in the NHL. My only significant criticism would be to switch the rankings of Nurse and Morin. I have watched Nurse since he was a bantam player and I don't see him as a top ten talent particularly in this very deep draft. In fact, I think he has a real chance to be this draft's Matt Dumba.
Asked you before, but what is that even supposed to mean? You've closed the books on Dumba because he had a bad year following his draft year?

Closed Thread