HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
At least 3 key figures in the Flames organization have been telling the world how much they love Fucale and how highly they think of him. I'm pretty certain he'll go at 22 at the latest.

Teams like NYI, TOR, SJ could also go for him before that.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:42 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
At least 3 key figures in the Flames organization have been telling the world how much they love Fucale and how highly they think of him. I'm pretty certain he'll go at 22 at the latest.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team with multiple first rounders use one on Fucale. That would seem to be a logical move.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:45 AM
LAARRRSSSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see a team with multiple first rounders use one on Fucale. That would seem to be a logical move.
I'm really not aboard the Fucale hype train. Don't think he's worth the risk of a 1st round pick, especially if you only have one.

Praying he's not there when the Habs are at the podium.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
As a die-hard Habs and Mooseheads fan.. I would smash things if we took Fucale in the 1st round.

I can already see the RDS headlines:
"Canadiens espere d'echange Carey Price; selectionne Fucale dans la premiere ronde."
Come on WTK, you won't be satisfied unless we somehow snag Nathan, we all know it. :laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
True but Lazar's lack of assists in the WHL is a red flag. Gauthier's goals will improve with added strength as his shot will get harder(see Pacioretty). Lazar seems to lack vision and hockrey sense offensively, that's not something you can develop a lot and is unrelated to physical development.

Gauthier will alaways be big, Lazar will alaways be average at best.
Lazar average? Are you aware that he was playing behind one of the best 1st line in the W?
Lazar as the same kind of motor as Gallagher.
Lazar actually plays with more size and intensity that Gauthier will ever touch.
He also has a much better shot than him(and most in this draft)
I really can't see how you can say Lazar lacks IQ when that is one of his main strengths.

Lazar is all but "average". Stop making up things here, Gauthier could only dream of being close to him.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:47 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

Let us hope so and thus be deprived of any temptation to chose this particular forbidden fruit.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:48 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Mads Eller will be coming to North America

http://www.hockeymagasinet.com/2013/...a-pusselbiten/

Old
06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
LE HABS MAN !!!!!

Great list nice to see you put your money where your mouth is. I will do a list too! I like the way you did it with tiers also.
Looking forward to your list.

I think the tiers helps see who may be available when Montreal picks and see the quality that may drop.

Quote:
Why a big difference?

Gauthier is bigger, had more production at 17 despite being a rookie(Lazar played at 16) and is better defensively.
Lazar is a better skater, has a better shot, grittier and plays more physical despite being 5 inches shorter and over 20 pounds lighter. Although Gauthier has more size, he doesnt use it and their defensive games are both well above average for 18 year olds.

Gauthier will likely be a good 3rd line centre. Lazar can be just as good on the 3rd line but plays a game that can translate well as a 2nd line scorer. I see a lot of a Kesler style in his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
I think this is a well thought out list. As many have commented, after the top 12 to 15 players, its a largely a toss up as to the order of the next 30 players and the actually drafting order will depend on each team's own assessment of those players' chances to make and excel in the NHL. My only significant criticism would be to switch the rankings of Nurse and Morin. I have watched Nurse since he was a bantam player and I don't see him as a top ten talent particularly in this very deep draft. In fact, I think he has a real chance to be this draft's Matt Dumba.
I am not that high on Morin. I know a lot of you are.

What exactly does this drafts Dumba mean?

Old
06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Let us hope so and thus be deprived of any temptation to chose this particular forbidden fruit.
I wouldn't be mad at all if all is left for us is second round talent( klimchuk, McCoshen, mccarron..) I think at this ppoint he'd be BPA.

Surely not a sexy pick though.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:54 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Come on WTK, you won't be satisfied unless we somehow snag Nathan, we all know it. :laugh

Lazar average? Are you aware that he was playing behind one of the best 1st line in the W?
Lazar actually plays with more size and intensity that Gauthier will ever touch.
I really can't see how you can say Lazar lacks IQ when that is one of his main strengths.

Lazar is all but "average". Stop making up things here, Gauthier could only dream of being close to him.
i thonk he meant average size wise.

But I agree with everything you said. Lazar over Gauthier without thinking twice.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:57 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Lazar > Gauthier for sure.

People forget, but alot of folks were arguing between Lazar and Mackinnon in terms of who was the top forward in this draft at one point. His 38 goals, combined with everything else he brings, would make him a steal at 25. The lack of assists is concerning, but the other way of looking at that would be if he had better linemates, would he have had more? I mean, even if he had a 1:1 Goal/Assist ratio, he'd have had nearly 80 points in his draft year, which would be excellent, and he's probably be ranked over Monahan. So the question is, why so few assists? Especially from a center? I haven't seen enough of him to tell you.

Is he a top of the line 3rd line center who can snipe from the dot on the PP?

Or is he a legit top 2 center?

I think the Leafs snag him if he falls out of the top 20 though.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Mats86

Quote:
At 6'5" though he will still have a physical edge at the next level. 4 inches and 15-25lbs more than the average player.

Plus, Gauthier's game at 17 isn't built on using his size, he plays more of a smarts and finesse type game. Using his size MORE will be part of taking the "next step" in development as well as shooting more(plus adding strength to make his shot harder).

His ceiling is somewhere between Jordan and Eric Staal, he may or may not reach it, but hard to pass up at 20 let alone 25. as I said earlier his late season "slide" might cost him 5-8 draft spots and he could be a huge steal at 20-25 overall.
Gauthier doesn't have the Staals competiveness. I see him going late first to early second round.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:00 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post

I agree fully. I see Lazar as a Dustin Brown with more offence. As I previously posted, because he may be available in the #12 to #15 range and thus could be acquired at a reasonable cost (probably one of #34 or #36 and a prospect) he would be one of the few players that I would consider moving up for. I see Lazar as a future captain in the NHL and the type of core player that wins you a Stanley Cup. The reality is, I see him going in or near the top ten.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:03 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Personnaly, when it comes to projecting this draft, I would remove the lines (or at least make them very faint...) between #11 & 12 and between #21 & 22 and between #32 & 33 and throw all of those guys in one big pile. It just so close from 10 to 40... What an interesting draft.
which is why I hope we don't trade away any of our 2d rounder to move up... chances are we'll end up with 3 "first round talent" with our top 4 picks if stand pat

Old
06-07-2013, 10:05 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

What do you guys think of Jacob De La Rose? He really impressed me at last years U18s when I was watching Collberg.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:07 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Gauthier doesn't have the Staals competiveness. I see him going late first to early second round.
There's also a huge difference between Jordan and Eric Staal.

I could see Jordan Staal as Gauthiers ceiling. His floor? Joe Colborne, a guy who's probably a 3rd or 4th line center.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:12 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Looking forward to your list.

I think the tiers helps see who may be available when Montreal picks and see the quality that may drop.

Lazar is a better skater, has a better shot, grittier and plays more physical despite being 5 inches shorter and over 20 pounds lighter. Although Gauthier has more size, he doesnt use it and their defensive games are both well above average for 18 year olds.

Gauthier will likely be a good 3rd line centre. Lazar can be just as good on the 3rd line but plays a game that can translate well as a 2nd line scorer. I see a lot of a Kesler style in his game.

I am not that high on Morin. I know a lot of you are.

What exactly does this drafts Dumba mean?
It means selecting a player that is overrated and overhyped and later regretting your draft day decision. Dumba was taken 7th overall last year. If there was a re-do of that draft, I seriously doubt there is one team that would draft Dumba in the top 20, let alone the top 10. Teams make mistakes all the time. Drafting Dumba 7th was one of those mistakes. In my opinion, having watched Nurse for years, drafting him in the top 10 of this draft will be a comparable mistake.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:14 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
What do you guys think of Jacob De La Rose? He really impressed me at last years U18s when I was watching Collberg.
I would take him with an early 2nd. Good size, physical play, defensive play and is about as safe as a prospect can be. I dont see him being more than a 2nd liner though.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/...er-profile-34/

I fell in love with this scouting report on him.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:

I think the Leafs snag him if he falls out of the top 20 though.
Lazar is dominating the poll in the board-to-board mock.

Morrissey, McCoshen, Mueller, Hartman, Fucale, Rychel and Morin all still available. 4 of them will be available at 25, lively debates to come.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Draft

Quote:
I've been a big fan of his for the last couple of months. I've watched him play several times and I have more confidence in him becoming an NHL player than I do, his teammate, Burakowsky. From everything I've heard, he's a leader on and off the ice and he has a great work ethic. He's quite fast, plays hard, plays gritty and has shown top-6 potential (people will debate that). He's got good tools, he just has to put it all together. I'd pick him with #36 depending on who's available.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:16 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
It means selecting a player that is overrated and overhyped and later regretting your draft day decision. Dumba was taken 7th overall last year. If there was a re-do of that draft, I seriously doubt there is one team that would draft Dumba in the top 20, let alone the top 10. Teams make mistakes all the time. Drafting Dumba 7th was one of those mistakes. In my opinion, having watched Nurse for years, drafting him in the top 10 of this draft will be a comparable mistake.
I think you are judging Dumba a little to fast.

To be fair i think all the defensemen went a little to high. Pouliot and Koekkoek too.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:20 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
There's also a huge difference between Jordan and Eric Staal.

I could see Jordan Staal as Gauthiers ceiling. His floor? Joe Colborne, a guy who's probably a 3rd or 4th line center.
Gauthier is to much of a wussy to play on the 4th line. I see him either being a Jordan Staal, less gritty Martin Hanzal or career AHLer.

His ceiling: Jordan Staal - 2nd liner
His Probable: Hanzal-lite - 3rd liner
His Floor: AHLer

Old
06-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Gauthier is to much of a wussy to play on the 4th line. I see him either being a Jordan Staal, less gritty Martin Hanzal or career AHLer.

His ceiling: Jordan Staal - 2nd liner
His Probable: Hanzal-lite - 3rd liner
His Floor: AHLer
Hanzal and staal really don't play as passive as G. I'd say he plays like Handzus.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:29 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
I think you are judging Dumba a little to fast.

To be fair i think all the defensemen went a little to high. Pouliot and Koekkoek too.
That other teams made mistakes, doesn't lessen the impact of your own foolishness. But do it yourself, and see who was available in that draft. I think all of us can quickly select at least 20 prospects, if not significantly more, that we would now take before Dumba. When Dumba didn't make Team Canada, the warning bell's should have gone off that ...oops, maybe we were wrong. Let us be glad that it is the Wild that are saddled with that pick and not us. For god sakes they took Dumba before Trouba. Maybe they just mixed up the names. As for Pouliot, I think your underestimating his potential. I would have no hesitation in considering a trade where we give up our 25th for him.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Mads Eller will be coming to North America

http://www.hockeymagasinet.com/2013/...a-pusselbiten/
I'd take him in the 7th if that's the case. Send him to the Q team nearest to Montreal(drummondville? shawinigan?) and have him train with his brother at the Brassard facility when we're at home and his Q team isn't playing.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I'd take him in the 7th if that's the case. Send him to the Q team nearest to Montreal(drummondville? shawinigan?) and have him train with his brother at the Brassard facility when we're at home and his Q team isn't playing.
I'd imagine that's entirely what he's banking on by announcing that. However, considering how he's unranked and unmentioned by virtually every scouting service on the planet...I can't imagine he's worth even a 7th.

Closed Thread