HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

question about visors / 1/2 shields

Old
06-06-2013, 05:05 AM
drive45

vCash: 500
question about visors / 1/2 shields

I've always worn a cage, so I don't have any personal experience with this. Why do ALL (?) pros stop wearing the BAUER HDO deluxe Visors as soon as they move from CHL to NHL? The biggest diff I see is no air space bw helmet and the top of the visor on the deluxe, whereas all the pros seem to have some space there. What is the advantage of that? Less fogging? Or is it the cutaway sides that the pros seem to favor?

I realize that the BaUeR visors are mandated by a deal between CHL and BaUeR, but I would think that, as athletes are often creatures of habit, at least some of them would want to carry on with the same visor. Or is it psychological, a way to declare one's independance? Or is it just because of the chirping you can expect if you're wearning a "junior" visor in the big league?

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Nbr-17

The Bauer visor is CSA approved whereas the ones that only attach to the helmet with the side screws that the NHL players use are not.
That's the reason why they're not allowed in junior hockey.
As to why the players switch, my guess would be that the other visors are lighter as there is less hardware.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 10:18 AM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
As to why the players switch, my guess would be that the other visors are lighter as there is less hardware.
And they don't look like a bus windsheild.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd say there's two big reasons:

1. Fashion - the X100 is a junior's visor and guys would get a ton of grief for wearing one. Same as doing up your chin strap properly.

2. Personalization - guys can get visors in a ton of different shapes and sizes and most guys like a smaller visor than the X100.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 12:26 PM
boo10

The gap at the top also allows for less heat to be trapped under the visor, making it cooler with less fogging.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:36 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
The gap at the top also allows for less heat to be trapped under the visor, making it cooler with less fogging.
It also blocked my vision when my team was taking face offs. When you're bent over I had a hard time seeing so I went back to a normal visor. Seems like a small problem and the obvious reaction would be to pick your head up more but it was a definite distraction and when I play hockey I prefer to be 100% comfortable with all of my equipment.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Guffaw

If u aren't getting paid or have the potential to do so go full cage/shield. One less half shielder whining/bleeding/picking up teeth because he got smacked in the mouth.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:42 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
If u aren't getting paid or have the potential to do so go full cage/shield. One less half shielder whining/bleeding/picking up teeth because he got smacked in the mouth.
...And the always amusing visor/cage debate rages on!

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:10 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinger37 View Post
...And the always amusing visor/cage debate rages on!
birdman vs windsheild vs fishbowl vs man

lol i was a full man no mask until i got a calp in the eye and messed up my whole eyeball still to this day, now i have a windshield and i cant imagine playing without it.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:45 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Nobody should be getting smacked in the mouth or cage regardless... control your stick.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Nobody should be getting smacked in the mouth or cage regardless... control your stick.
Perhaps the lamest excuse for trying to justify a half shield. What players should do and what they actually do doesn't change the fact that it happens and other players get injured as a result, pros or beer leaguers.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Oakley visors are more adjustable and lighter. Some of their more popular models also cover a smaller surface area.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 10:29 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Perhaps the lamest excuse for trying to justify a half shield. What players should do and what they actually do doesn't change the fact that it happens and other players get injured as a result, pros or beer leaguers.
It's not an excuse at all. Players used to play with no helmets on and there was a significantly less amount of injuries due to high sticks then. You know why? It's because people kept their sticks down.... you're responsible for your stick. Don't high stick someone and then start trying to blame the guy for not having a cage.

Go to talk to any old timer... talk about the culture when they played. If someone go their stick up everyone shouted at them. It wasn't acceptable. It shouldn't be now either... learn how to control your stick.

Old
06-08-2013, 02:40 PM
gosinger

Quote:
Go to talk to any old timer... talk about the culture when they played. If someone go their stick up everyone shouted at them. It wasn't acceptable. It shouldn't be now either... learn how to control your stick.
Yeah, and learn not to shoot a puck so it could be deflected higher than cross-bar level!!!11......wait, what?

gosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:10 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosinger View Post
Yeah, and learn not to shoot a puck so it could be deflected higher than cross-bar level!!!11......wait, what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ASBsQfXnw

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 10:31 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
This thread wasn't even about cage vs shield. Also, keep your stick down.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:42 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosinger View Post
What does that have to do with anything I said? I didn't say it wasn't possible to get hit with a puck... but if players kept their sticks and shots down which really isn't hard to do there would be far less accidents. Trying to flip it on the victim and saying "You should have had this protection is ridiculous.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
I've never hit anyone so I do control my stick. That being said, sticks and pucks will come up
at every level from time to time. It's unavoidable. Anything less than full face protection is ridiculous IMO if u aren't getting paid. To each his own though. Choose to look cool or have better vision then deal with the potential consequences. Skate blades, ice surface, sticks, pucks, and the occasional fist I'm going to not wear a seat belt and then yell at the girl that hit me head on that I can't feel my legs. Lotta good that will do me.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
This thread wasn't even about cage vs shield. Also, keep your stick down.
Oh it's not my stick that young mouthy punk half shielders need worry about.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:34 PM
lokomotiv15

Lol at people being so defensive about the shield argument.

Like others have said, visors arent mandatory at the nhl level so the visors dont have to meet any standards like they do in major junior. The HDO pros dont offer much/if any more protection than the bauer hdo straight cuts or other similar visors and weigh much less. Unfortunately Oakley doesnt sell their straight cut half shields any more in canada Best visors ever and inexpensive, too.

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 View Post
Lol at people being so defensive about the shield argument.

Like others have said, visors arent mandatory at the nhl level so the visors dont have to meet any standards like they do in major junior. The HDO pros dont offer much/if any more protection than the bauer hdo straight cuts or other similar visors and weigh much less. Unfortunately Oakley doesnt sell their straight cut half shields any more in canada Best visors ever and inexpensive, too.
You need to find them on online retailers or eBay/Craigslist.

I actually got a complete steal, $40 for an Oakley pro stock visor including shipping. It's marked as used, but it's in excellent shape.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:45 PM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
You need to find them on online retailers or eBay/Craigslist.

I actually got a complete steal, $40 for an Oakley pro stock visor including shipping. It's marked as used, but it's in excellent shape.
Wow. Youre right, absolute steal. Any I can find are usually pretty used, $50, not of pro stock quality (o-80), and either dont ship to canada or costs a good chunk of change. Good on ya, bud.

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:40 PM
TieClark

Quote:
I've never hit anyone so I do control my stick. That being said, sticks and pucks will come up
at every level from time to time. It's unavoidable. Anything less than full face protection is ridiculous IMO if u aren't getting paid. To each his own though. Choose to look cool or have better vision then deal with the potential consequences. Skate blades, ice surface, sticks, pucks, and the occasional fist I'm going to not wear a seat belt and then yell at the girl that hit me head on that I can't feel my legs. Lotta good that will do me.
The culture has changed for some reason and it shouldn't have. Guys didn't tolerate high sticks and shots before. If a shot happens to get deflected and comes high it's a different situation and I think everyone would realize it was an accident. However letting lose a slap shot from the point that goes way over the cross bar because you can't control your shot or randomly swinging your stick around at head level are unacceptable at any level, regardless of the equipment worn.

As for your example, they aren't comparable. It's like me trying to relate sexual assaults... blaming it on the victim because of their clothing choice doesn't make any sense I think everyone would agree but it's completely unrelated to the topic.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:05 PM
roffleburger

Quote:
The culture has changed for some reason and it shouldn't have. Guys didn't tolerate high sticks and shots before. If a shot happens to get deflected and comes high it's a different situation and I think everyone would realize it was an accident. However letting lose a slap shot from the point that goes way over the cross bar because you can't control your shot or randomly swinging your stick around at head level are unacceptable at any level, regardless of the equipment worn.

As for your example, they aren't comparable. It's like me trying to relate sexual assaults... blaming it on the victim because of their clothing choice doesn't make any sense I think everyone would agree but it's completely unrelated to the topic.
I've never heard anyone complain in our league about high shots, and they happen all the time.

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 05:22 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by roffleburger View Post
I've never heard anyone complain in our league about high shots, and they happen all the time.
That's my point... people used to get all over a guy if his stick kept coming up or he kept shooting high. That doesn't happen anymore and instead people say "why aren't you wearing a full cage" rather than looking at the actual problem.